any single parents

tink1663

Mouseketeer
Hello again everyone. Thank you for such a nice welcome. I was wondering if any one that is cruising is a single parent?
I can't believe we hit the under 200 day mark! Hope the wait goes by quick and the cruise nice and sloooowww.:wave2:

Going with my two DD's. One 11 the other 16. Their old enough to be on their own so I'm expecting a lot of "me" time. Our first cruise and it just had to be a Disney Cruise. Heard they have enough activities for the single parent to keep them busy. We'll see. :sunny:

I'm a single mom going on the 3 day Wonder July 22. I'm taking my DS who is 12. I can't wait! Its my 2nd cruise with Disney.

Susie
:earsgirl: :earsboy:

I am a single mum taking my dd(14) on our first ever cruise on the Wonder August 22 2004. So excited about it..

:Pinkbounc :wave:

I'm a single mom and I'm taking my 2 children on our 1st disney cruise in Dec. We love disney so I am looking foward to this cruise

We are sailing on the 4-day cruise on dec 26.

I am a single Mom and I have taken my DD on two Disney Cruises and just booked another for the Magic in 2005. My best friend who is also a single Mom just booked the same and is taking her DD and DS....

Both past cruises other families members have been on board,but I was booked with myself and DDprincess: We pretty much did our own thing and then met up with the family for dinner and some of the shows.......

I did WDW with just her and I and it was fun,but I do like having a friend or other family along......:wave2:

Hey there!

We're going on the Magic July 10-17, 2004.

It's nice to see so many other single parents on here!

Pam

Hey! Count me in. Single mom 38 with 7yr old son.

Its good to see other singles out there. HI! VAL DISNEY!

I keep hearing so much about the Disney Cruise. Is it really as nice as everyone says? My 7 yr old is kind of clingy, well bashful, doesn't like for me to leave him alone with other kids he doesn't know. Would he feel comfortable on the Cruise?

And what would I do all by myself--does anyone else feel lonely alone? Is Disney Cruise set up for couples?

Who has been? And I would love to hear some feedback from you single parents who have been on the Cruise before.

Pro's or Con's Single Parents Cruise?

Single mom with two dd's ages 12 and 6 - we'll be on the 10/2-Antigua cruise. We did the four day last year and loved it so much doing the 7 day this year!! Plenty of things to do and so many people you'll only feel lonely if your not the say hi to the person next to you type.

My kids loved the pool and clubs so they didn't spend much time with me. I loved the time alone. If you're a loner, bring a good book, have trouble starting a conversation, just smile at someone, you'll usually get a positive response. Most of all enjoy some "me" time.

I was always with other family and then my best friend went with me on the last one.... DD and I had our own cabin. Still you do see mostly families....Mom's and Dad's and it makes me a little sad. :( :( What can ya do????? Not the life I wanted to be a single Mom,but It just happened...So DD and I make the best of it!

We had a blast on both cruises.....Making friends on these boards are good too. Maybe you will find another single parent going on the same cruise. Then you can even link your dining so you sit at dinner with them...Something to think about???:p

My DD liked the clubs,but she also spent lots of time with me....She loved the pools...So I coud lay out while she played.

We are booked for a 7 day next October 2005...:wave2:

I think you will love it.

It's not the single life that I wanted either. I married my high school sweetheart and we had been together for 24yrs and he had a heart attack on the golf course. He was only 39, we were suppose to grow old together and raise our son.

So I am new to this single stuff. I am glad you said you feel sad when you see Mom & Dads, because it still breaks my heart.

Is there plenty of stuff that kids and parents can do together? Cause I still feel pretty shy about being the first to say Hi! Yes I have the shy HI! syndrome.

Anyway we are going the last week of December and still thinking about the cruise. Do you get scard that you can't see land? Kind of like the Titantic syndrome thing?

I am so sorry to hear about losing your husband...That would be just awful.....:( I was married for 11 years and together for 14 and was just as happy as can be...Matter a fact we had just taken our first family vacation to WDW and was planning a 7 day cruise on the MAGIC when he just up and left my DD and I??? Floored me............I still have trouble believing he really left and it has been a year and a half. I do think he is sorry now and regrets his decision to leave us,but I don't know if I could ever take him back after what he has done....:( The bad thing is that I still love him and it is hard to move on... I LOVED BEING MARRIED! This single stuff is hard..... Thanks for listening... Your situation is really sad.

Don't be scared....The ocean is so beautiful...I loved getting up in the mornings and eating on Deck 9 at the buffet. You can sit outside and it is so wonderful....

Josie and I ended up going with my Aunt and Uncle and their DS right after DH left us. We cancelled our 7 day and went on the 4 day with them. It was hard and sad,but DD and I had fun on our own. We went to the shows together and ate ice-cream and swam......Played in the sand on the island...THE BEST PLACE! I love Castaway Cay.:sunny: You will have a wonderful time,but will wish DH was there with you.....What makes me mad is mine could be and he would love it.....

Oh well I have to find away to move on.... You hang in there and enjoy your planning and your trip.....

Us single Mom's have to stick together.....:wave2:

I know I will feel down when I see married parents with thrie children, but I have no choice. My situation is just like your Josie, But I am determined to make the best of it. I have 2 so it gets tough and then i always wish someone could help carry everything.:)
I am going on the dec 26th 4 day cruise and I hope there will be other single parents. Its funny, I posted my date on the cruise meets boards and nobody responded. I thought that would be apopular one.
This is our first cruise together, so wish me luck.
Its nice chatting w other single moms who alos love disney.
Valerie

I know what you mean Valerie about needing help carrying things... I remember our first Disney Cruise right after DH left us. I had cancelled our 7 day and Mom and Dad new how much I had wanted to go so they suggested I go with My Uncle and his family who were booked for Nov. So I did and we went and it was a nice escape from all I was going through....BUT.....One day when we stopped in Freeport we went to the beach on our own and that was tough.... No one to help me carry the kid and towels,toys ect.....I was emotional anyway and at one point just sat down on a bench and cried.....:sad1:

DD was going through a tough time cause she did not understand why DH left either.....I will never forget that moment. I am much better now and our cruise last year was fabulous. DD and I were in a much better state of mind and we had a blast.:teeth:

Atleast we are able and willing to get out there and still have fun with our kids....Life is just too short...;)

Bye the way....I love the 4 day with a day at Sea much better...I will never book another with a stop at Freeport...:earsgirl:

I really wish I had all the answers to make us all feel better.

But there is one thing that I can add. I didn't post this earlier but not only am I morning the loss of my husband but also the loss of our daughter about a year ago. She was born with an open nural tube defect and died shortly after birth.

Soo... hold your kids tight and tell them that you love them, and are sure that their dad's do too. And be rejoyceful and happy that whatever your situation might be with the X husband's the kids still have their Dad's around.

Children are such a blessing in our lives I don't know what I would do without mine.

And yes there does seem like alot of stuff to carry. Did our parents carry all this stuff around? Because I don't remember having all the stuff that mine has.

Sorry for all the sadness and blue kind of stuff, but thanks for listening. I'm still working thru all of this stuff and trying to act like a family even though a big hunk of it is gone.

And are you guys sure that you didn't think of the titantic while on the cruise?

And tell me about the rooms are they small, what about the port hole thing or a balcony? Did you get sea sick. Can you shop around for best rates on a cruise. Who do you book thru?

By the way my name is Valerie also.

I know you have a lot to deal with Valerie. You suffered 2 deep losses But I am glad you feel blessed w your son. we have alot of heartache but we have to remember the good things we have.
MY parents def did not take half of what I take. No camcorders, small camera etc. They can't believe all the stuff i take.
i went on a cruise w my ex b4 we had children. I never thought once about the titanBut remember, the titanic was going to fast and the owner didn't care about safety just records.
I am looking forward to the cruise. I think it will be the 1st relaxing vacation I have had in a long time.
Don't worry about you son, mine is shy too. I am not too concerned about him going in the clubs. I'll take it one day at a time. Think about it. I'm have just heard great feedback.
Valerie

I'm so glad to see this thread!!! We first sailed on the Magic in August 2002. My daughter was 11 at the time, and my mom went with us. In August 2003 it was just my daughter, then age 12, and me. We are again sailing this August (we have booked onboard each year for the next year and get pretty good deals!) We invited my neice, who is 12. And in April i was blessed with a two month old angel who i'm in the process of adopting. So, this August it'll be me and my three girls!!! Yes, i'm kind of scared to death, but there is no other vacation where i can go, feel safe and even get breaks from the kids i don't mind being alone, and
I avoid situatios that might make me feel uncomfortable, like palo's and formal night. There are meetings for solo travelers/ single parents. i've never gone becasuse I have always been busy with other things. Last summer I did meet several other single parents. I would not at all hesitate to go!!! To top of the cruise, we have to fly to Florida from California, and we are going to WDW for 6 days after the cruise.......wish me luck!!!!!

I'm a fairly outgoing kind of guy and make friends easily but I must admit traveling without a spouse (divorced) seemed a bit scary!

I've been monitoring this board and have gotten some great support, encouragement and ideas on traveling as a single parent. It would seem that DCL has taken into consideration the single parent and has made accomodations for them.

I will try to make the effort to attend at least one of the single's meetings and I will try to go to Palo's even if it's a single table. I am looking forward to the formal and semi-formal dinner evenings. I will have two beautiful young ladies (my daughters) on my arms those evenings.

The girls and I are traveling on the July 10-17 Magic Eastern. If your single come say hi. If your not single come say hi anyways.

Looking forward to meeting you all!
Mike

My DS 13 and I are going on our 1st cruise ever------Magic, Sept. 25, 2004, Western.

Snowball - I am so sorry for your great losses and am glad you're making all efforts to still enjoy life. Life isn't full without pain.

Josie and ValDisney - I was in the same situation.....it's 5 years behind me now, and though painful at the time, it is a blessing and life is better this way. Yeah, looking at other families is sometimes sad and we feel an element of loss but like my DS tells me, there is a silver lining to evey dark cloud.

I was hesitant when I booked our cruise because being a single mom, but when my son's face lit up at the thought, I had no doubt we're going to have a wonderful time and many "Magical" memories! Keep checking the disboards for your cruise date and be bold and invite others to a Palo brunch or dinner. I'll bet there are married moms/women and, yes men, who might like to share a meal and conversation with other intelligent women--single or not.

I wonder how many people going on a Disney cruise don't know about the disboards?

Have fun on your special cruises!

Lxnme2 :earsgirl: :earsboy: :chat:

Hi to all the other single parents! I'm suprised to see how many of you are repeat cruisers! That must mean you all had really good experiences! :teeth:

My daughter and I (she's almost 7, I'm almost 30) will be taking the Florida to California repo cruise in May 2005. This is our frist cruise ever! We chose DCL because, after a lot of research, I realized it was really the only way I could get alone time and she could have a GREAT time in programs designed especially for kids her age. I am really looking forward to our cruise, but there are so many tiny little details that only us single parents have to deal with that I worry about. Maybe some of you hvae pointers for me?

1. I only have 2 hands and I will have to lug around 14-days worth of luggage for the 2 of us onto the ship!!! (These are the times I wish I was still married). How easy is check-in at the port, and are there people to help with luggage?

2. When you are a single parent with one child, are you still seated at a large dinner table? Do they only sit singles together - or can you be seated with families as well?

3. If your kids really like the kids' club - do you find yourself alone A LOT of the time? Did anyone get bored or lonely?

4. For those of you with only 1 child - did they make "friends" during the cruise? (My DD is hit or miss. Sometimes she's shy and quite a loner, other times she will really connect with 1 or 2 kids and form a really strong bond.)

I'm sure I have other questions but those are the only ones I can come with now...I still have 11 months to wait. LOL!!!

I applaud you all for vacationing with your kids like this, and not letting them miss out on stuff. Especially those of you who have suffered losses. I always say, "we may only be a family of TWO, but we're still a family!" ::yes::

-jindy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter