any single parents

Wow this is a great thread!! This is the first cruise ever for me and my 11 yr old dd (who will be just turned 12 when we go) My plan is to surprise her for Christmas with the 7 day land/sea vacation in May 2005 and I'm adding on 3 nights to the beginning of the trip so we don't feel rushed in WDW:teeth: I'm not too worried about being bored during the day as I plan to relax by the pool either with my dd or without her if she's in the club but I too was thinking about going to Palo's and I'm not sure about the whole single thing there either :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd really like to go and experience the beauty of the restaurant in an adult setting just for a little while. I don't do much without my dd in the way of adult so I was thinking it would be a little treat!! Anyway, we sail the Wonder on May 8th 2005 so anyone with an 11 or 12 year old dd, feel free to get in touch with me and maybe the girls can chat back and forth a bit.

I booked the 7 day western on May 7, 2005!:jumping1:
I found MouseEarVacations.com to be the cheapest and I checked quite a few different sources.

dizprincess27- You'll be sailing the day after me. I've been to Palo's before with my mom when I sailed in 2001. This time I will be alone but I don't want to miss it. It is THE best food on the ship. I've done both brunch and dinner. I think it is only $5 for dinner and $10 for brunch. I don't think I'd have a problem going by myself to brunch but the dinner might seem more like a couples thing.

I wish we could all be on the same sailing!

Thanks Legs22 - I wish we all were on the same sailing too so there would be people to experience Palo's :( I won't be doing the spa thing b/c I am doing 6 nights first in WDW and we are doing DC Dolphin Swim and then I was thinking about doing the Comfort Suites day room so we could check out the Atlantis Playground. I can't afford anymore than that so I was looking forward to treating myself to the dinner. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if anyone else is single that might want a dinner partner on the cruise right?:cool:

Disney should hold a singles type of event where all single parents could get a little discount and take a cruise on the same date LOL - Just Wishful Thinking :rolleyes:

Is there a DIS cruise thread for the May 8 Wonder? That's how I met people on the last cruise. Maybe you could eat with some of them? Do NOT miss Palo's! Eat alone if you have to!:teeth:
You could always do the brunch instead of dinner.

A Disney singles cruise would be great!

Yes there was a thread started and I was the 1st person to reply so hopefully as time goes on, I'll meet some of the people that are going too!! If I don't find someone to eat dinner at Palo's with, I'll try to get to the brunch by myself. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not too fancy of an eater anyway so I'm sure the brunch will be just as nice for me :sunny:

Someone on the bus encouraged me to make a ressie at Palo when we boarded the ship. She suggested I ask when making it if there were any other "singles" booked and could I be seated with one of them. That is what I did and was booked with an amazing grandmother who had wanted to try it w/o her picky family. I ended up not joining her though because I just did not want to miss an evening with my amazing table. Even the newlyweds at our table canceled their Palo to keep meal time our new family time!!!! Anyway, this might be a way to dine there and not feel so alone.

MamaQuack

dizprincess- If I remember correctly you also get a free glass of champagne at the brunch.

MamaQuack- Thanks for the suggestion! It would have to be a reeeaaaalllllyyyy good table for me to miss Palo's!

Thanks Legs22 and Mamaquack!! I'm going to try and get to either the brunch or the hopefully the dinner. I think since we're paying to be on the ship why should we have to miss out on a beautiful experience at sea just b/c we're single? That is the one thing I really wanted to do without my dd so I'm going to try to hook up with someone to join me :)

I don't mind eating alone at all. I often go out to eat alone when my daughter is with her dad. (Usually to restaurants she normally doesn't like going to with me; it's nice to eat in peace. LOL!!)

BUT, I would feel weird eating alone at Palo if I were all dressed up. Is formal attire required at Palo?

Originally posted by jin diesel

Is formal attire required at Palo?

No, but I wouldn't wear shorts or jeans for the dinner. The brunch is casual.

Hi.. I've posted to this tread b4. I'm sailing dec. 26th. I don't know if i feel comfortable eating by myself in palo's. I hope b4 we sail I can find some people on the board who will be sailing when I am. I might sail on a 7 night dec '06. Maybe we can make that our singles cruise.
Valerie

Hey ValDisney - you could also try Mamaquack's suggestion to check in with reservations when you board and maybe they have someone else who needs to sit with someone. I will probably try that myself. Hmmm Dec sounds great for a singles cruise but for me it would have to be Dec 07 cause I won't be able to scrape together enough $$ to go back so soon after my May 05 cruise :( Wish I could though!

Thanks for the info. I will check that out. I have my kids every other dec so .. Wow... how does dec '08 sound.
LOL... hopefully we can come up w a singles dis board meet b4 that. Maybe a diff time of yr.
Valerie

A singles Disboard meet sounds great to me! That way all the parents on board would have someone to chat with or do activities with while their kids are in the clubs:cool: This will be our first cruise so I guess I'll wait and see how it goes but my dd is 11 and I'm sure she'll want to spend a fair amount of time with me swimming and hanging out but she may surprise me too and want to stay in the clubs who knows :rolleyes: Oh Dec 08 sounds good to me or another month in 2007. I'm that sure I'm going to love cruising on the DCL
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Has anyone mentioned that on sea days they have a singles lunch for staff and parents? I didn't attend any because I lucked out and met great folks, however, I think I would have enjoyed one.

MamaQuack

I am so glad I found this thread :teeth:

I am a single mom to my DD4 - who is the joy of my life. We have always been in this situation as her fahter and I separated when I was 6 months pregnant...it's ok - it's honestly better this way. I think being a single mom from the start is probably easier than being thrust into it later on. This is all she and I have ever known and I tend to look at the bright or up-side of things ;)

I feel for those of you who have lost your spouse - what a sad and horrible thing for you and your children as well :( For those of you who are new to the single mom/dad thing - it will get better I promise. I do remember when Maddie was a baby thinking "Oh, boy - how am I ever going to...fill in the blank with a million things!" But - we have never missed out on a thing b/c of our circumstances - and I really believe we are closer because of it ::yes::

We took our first trip to WDW and 3 days on the Wonder this past May - my parents went with us and it was FANTASITC! I knew before we even left the ship that THIS would be a yearly event for us - it was simply the best vacation for us. I get some alone time....Maddie gets some time to herself with new friends in the club, and best of all we get to enjoy each other on a beautiful ship and in the "happiest place on earth!" What could be better?

I didn't do Palo last time. Actually there is A LOT we didn't do. I think with it having been our first tirp to WDW and then the cruise (and I didn't have the DIS then :eek: ) I was a little overwhelmed and just spent most of the time relaxing and enjoy Maddie's face lighting up at every corner. This time - I vow to do tht Spa and Palo's!

If any of you are going on the May 15th cruise - maybe we could meet on board :wave:

And to all the single mom's/dad's - enjoy your kids and the cruise to the fullest:boat:

Hi MB Minniegirl,

I too have always been a single Mom to my dd 11. She's never known any different. She does see her Dad occasionally and we also traveled to WDW with my parents twice b4. This time it's only going to be her and I. I'm happy but I will also miss my parents :( Anyway, are you doing the 7 day on the 15th? I wish you were going on the 4 day on the 8th since that's when I'm going so we could go to Palo's together but I like you decided I don't want to miss it even if I just do the brunch! Good luck to you!

dizprincess27 I wish we could go when you are also - that would be great....but that week didn't work for Maddie's schedule :rolleyes: ...you know how that is!

We went this past year with my parents and hopefully they are going with us again this year. It makes for a great family vacation and memories with Maddie's grandparents that will last a lifetime. I feel stongly about her having a great relationship with extended family since I am a single mom. She does see her father - although he is not dependable as to when and at 4 years old she has already learned that herself :eek:

Have a fabulous trip - you will miss your parents - but enjoy the special time with your little girl. I can't wait (ok, yes I can!) until Maddie is a bit older and will be able to go alone with me and we can enjoy some of the excursions that she cannot do right now! ::yes::

Humm....listen to me - planning Disney cruises YEARS away - yup - I'm officially hooked:teeth:

Hi MB MinnieGirl!
Welcome!
I will be on the 7 day on May 7, 2005. We are all just missing each other. Darn! Are you on the Panama Canal cruise? I think there is another mom on this thread that's going.

legs22 I wish I was on the Panama Canal cruise :earsgirl:

We are giong on the 4 day Wonder. We did 3 day last year with land and sea...this year we're adding another day and doing the land3/sea4...maybe 2006 (when I have more vacation time:teeth: ) we can do the 7 day....I don't think I can get my DD4 away from WDW and simply do the cruise yet....come to think of it - think I'd miss WDW too ;)

Seems like I'm missing everyone on the cruise we're going on....I haven't seen anyone who is going on the 15th Wonder. I posted a thread on the meet board - but so far nutin :rolleyes:

May...boy that seems soooo far away doesn't it? Oh well....more time to dream and plan right!

::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter