Anyone started Christmas shopping, or even thinking about Christmas yet.

LOL. I usually start my Christmas shopping on December 15th, and have it done by December 18th. By then, the retail stores and online retailers have started to panic about having too much inventory and start slashing prices. Do my wrapping on the 19th and 20th, then I can start enjoying the season.

Oh, gosh, that would give me so much heartburn... but I do see your point about price slashing. But between Christmas concerts, school parties, baking cookies, etc., our season starts way earlier than the 20th. So, I'll just leave more room for you at the mall to find the slashed prices ;-)

Oh, gosh, that would give me so much heartburn... but I do see your point about price slashing. But between Christmas concerts, school parties, baking cookies, etc., our season starts way earlier than the 20th. So, I'll just leave more room for you at the mall to find the slashed prices ;-)

Yeah, but Tvguy is also a man, with grown children. He's not baking cookies for the class party, or coordinating music recitals, or sewing costumes for Nutcracker. So, he has the luxury of waiting until the couple weeks before Christmas. In our house, at least, DH has to shop only for me (and I have to put the dots close together), and take the kids out to shop for me--which he usually does the weekend before Christmas. I, OTOH, have to shop for him, 4 kids, various relatives, decorate the house, do the baking, sew Nutcracker costumes (including working backstage during dress rehearsal and performances), and race out to buy DS12 new black pants because he grew three inches since his last violin performance (as an example--could be shoes, could be a new dress shirt...).

Bottom line, some of us have busier Decembers than others. I find Organized Christmas to be a great way to keep me sane.

OP here, I so agree I would have stress induced heartburn right there with you. I also see the value in the price slashing, but for me it just not worth it... what if they don't have something that I want or need at a slashed price or have run out of the hot item for the year or whatever the gift request is.... oh no:scared1:... Nope not going down that road...and here in Orlando and surrounding areas, I live in Winter Garden which is right off the 429. We compete with the million people a day that visit each and every day of the year, more during the holidays. So shopping ahead of time is necessary.

Yeah, but Tvguy is also a man, with grown children. He's not baking cookies for the class party, or coordinating music recitals, or sewing costumes for Nutcracker. So, he has the luxury of waiting until the couple weeks before Christmas. In our house, at least, DH has to shop only for me (and I have to put the dots close together), and take the kids out to shop for me--which he usually does the weekend before Christmas. I, OTOH, have to shop for him, 4 kids, various relatives, decorate the house, do the baking, sew Nutcracker costumes (including working backstage during dress rehearsal and performances), and race out to buy DS12 new black pants because he grew three inches since his last violin performance (as an example--could be shoes, could be a new dress shirt...).

Bottom line, some of us have busier Decembers than others. I find Organized Christmas to be a great way to keep me sane.
Exactly this. Let’s not forget shopping for and preparing the meals and gatherings that go along with the holiday season as well as prepping the house for guests. And then there’s always some ridiculously involved project/presentation X’s how many kids you have due right before Winter Break starts. My kids birthday is a week after Thanksgiving so I have to shop for that too. If I’m not done by mid October I’m pretty much screwed.

As far as retailers price slashing that’s pretty much a thing of the past in my neck of the woods. If anything they carry too little inventory. The shelves are decimated by mid December. It never fails that I have a handful of friends desperately looking for things right before Christmas because they can’t find them anywhere, in store or online. You see it here on the boards as well. Not to mention trying to get into even the parking lot of malls around here at that time is futile. No, thanks.

Exactly this. Let’s not forget shopping for and preparing the meals and gatherings that go along with the holiday season as well as prepping the house for guests. And then there’s always some ridiculously involved project/presentation X’s how many kids you have due right before Winter Break starts. My kids birthday is a week after Thanksgiving so I have to shop for that too. If I’m not done by mid October I’m pretty much screwed.

As far as retailers price slashing that’s pretty much a thing of the past in my neck of the woods. If anything they carry too little inventory. The shelves are decimated by mid December. It never fails that I have a handful of friends desperately looking for things right before Christmas because they can’t find them anywhere, in store or online. You see it here on the boards as well. Not to mention trying to get into even the parking lot of malls around here at that time is futile. No, thanks.

Yes, I forgot about meal prep and shopping! Mostly because here, it's just the 6 of us--no MIL visiting or anything like that--and my kids prefer to graze versus have a big roast or something for Christmas. So, no extra cleaning, and prep is fairly simple for me. OTOH, I still make a dozen or so types of cookies leading up to Christmas, and so forth. Good thing, too, because Nutcracker is a huge time-suck for me. We also found that getting a fake tree went a long way towards freeing up time.

When Amazon came around i started shopping year round. Have a 10 day trip planned for DW/Uni 2 weeks after
Christmas so it is imperative i get things done early.

My husband thinks it is crazy to start seeing packages arrive now and i tell him it is for December. lol

However we do all our entertaining holiday season. I decorate every room and bathroom so i have to be organized
and plan early. I love Christmas and sitting in 105 degree heat makes me want it more. :santa:

Yes I have started with a few staples my kids always ask for. Great sales this week at American Eagle/Aerie for leggings for DD, North Face outlet store had 50% off last season colors of sweatshirts so picked up a few of those for DD and DS along with a few shirts in the Nike and Under Armour Outlets who were also having great sales. I have also started buying a gift card each week to put toward their big gifts once we get closer to Christmas and better sales on electronics.

I always start pretty much the day after Christmas shopping for the next year! This year was tough since I'd just had a baby, but I've made some progress! My big expense is DS now, since Christmas and his birthday are pretty close together, and he's mostly done, so I feel like I'm well on my way.

My mom always did things this way because we have a very big extended family so it was a way to make things affordable. We're pared down a little over the years with who we give to, but we've also had new kids come along and such so it's still pretty big. I have 5 December and January birthdays (including DS), plus Christmas for all of those people before I even get to Christmas for everyone else. Additionally, we both have German ancestry and celebrate Sankt Nikolaus on December 6, which means a few small gifts and treats for DS. If I didn't shop all year when I saw things on sale or had coupons I'd be broke! So far I have:

DS: Birthday done except for one $11 toy I want to get him (seeing if it happens to dip down a little on Prime Day before I order) and Christmas about 3/4 of the way done. Sankt Nikolaus I got him some Christmas bath toys and a collection of Disney Christmas stories. I'll also pick up some of his favorite treats once I have a better idea of what he likes since he hasn't been on solids all that long. At this point for him it'll just be a few stocking stuffers that I need to pick up and I'm thinking maybe a Zoo Pass or tickets to the amusement park near his grandmother's house for next summer for his "big" gift. He's only going to be a year old so I'm really focusing on experiences and things we can do over the next year.

2 Nieces: Got them each a princess purse the other day. Originally $15 down to $5 at the Disney store! I'll probably round out their gifts with something from the Character Warehouse when we're down there in Sept.

I know what I'm going to get most other people and have it all saved on Amazon, I just have to do my price comparisons and get shopping! I'm kind of waiting till we get back from Florida in Sept, because I definitely want to check out the Character Warehouse for most of the kids before I buy them anything else. Additionally, I have a niece with an August birthday and two friends with October birthdays, so I want to make sure I prioritize those gifts before I start worrying about Christmas.

Man, it seems far away but it'll be here before we know it.

:santa:
I can't believe that I have even started thinking much less shopping for Christmas already... its crazy hot and humid here, but I have found some items for Christmas with really great prices. One big gift for our daughter, and some smaller gifts, and some stocking stuffers....

:santa:So anyone else started thinking about or shopping for Christmas.?
Yes I have a few shop disney items I got my girls from sales earlier this year. I just turned off my auto transfer to my christmas savings account, think I have more than needed for gift purchases this year. I have a few items on my eye for amazon prime day but not much. I usually start after end of august for feeling out my girls.

I have always had my shopping done before December because of the many events I want to enjoy (and one year I got sick, making it difficult to finish). To be fair, I only buy for my kids and my 5 nieces/nephews. My siblings and I go in on a gift for my parents. The hardest present is thinking of a Yankee swap gift. My husband and I don't exchange and neither do I exchange with my siblings.

Anyway, my son is going with his band to Disney in 2019. I told him that my paying for it is his gift. I also am going to take the others for a long weekend to see him perform. So that they have something to open, I am getting the boys each a video game, clothes they may need and a Funko Pop for fun. My daughter will get a new comforter (found at Home Goods- already put away) and lamp for her room, clothes, and a Funko Pop for fun. It should be an easy time shopping (except for that Yankee Swap gift!) as the trip is the bulk of the gifts.

Disney is big gift.

I’ve bought some things for my youngest two...a couple I’ve had for a year or so, waiting until they’re old enough.

Also bought my oldest a couple Harry Potter LEGO sets when they were released last week. I’ll get him 1 or 2 more things, and he’ll be done.

Still have nothing for my middle or 3 grandkids.

Everyone else will get $ or gift cards this year.

:santa:OP here,

I went shopping with my mom yesterday. I did pick up a few more items. Belk was having a really good clearance sale on there fashion jewelry. I picked up some earrings for my daughter, a couple pairs that will go in her stocking and a Christmas pair to give her early for her to wear for work.. I did pick up some things for me as well but that doesn't count as they aren't Christmas presents but I will be wearing them during Christmas.. .I also bought her a dress at Bealls on clearance for her and her husband trip to Jamaica. We stopped at Ross and I did grab some hair bands to put in her stocking, and some Footie socks for my DH for his stocking but after looking at the ones in his sock drawer I went ahead and put them in the drawer... last stop was the dollar tree and I found a bunch of books the write on wipe off kind, stickers and coloring book to put in my grandsons stocking.

I could use some suggestions on a kitchen gifts for my daughter... Every year I buy her something really nice for her to use in the kitchen, then some type of kitchen tools. Last year it was stainless steel mixing bowls with lids and in her stocking I had found some bamboo salad servers, and a couple of colorful spatula's in different sizes... Also for her birthday I got her some new wisk's and a hand grader with the cup attachment on the bottom she had been eyeing mine. So she loves to bake, and has started moving out of her comfort zone with cooking... She has the basic's - griddle, crockpot, kitchen aid with some attachments, I think they have a deep fryer. So any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I tend to shop year around except we draw names around October for the adults on my husband's side of the family. I picked up a few things for our niece, nephew, and goddaughter during the big Disney Store sale last month, and that was probably the first thing really earmarked for Christmas.

I went shopping with my mom yesterday. I did pick up a few more items. Belk was having a really good clearance sale on there fashion jewelry. I picked up some earrings for my daughter, a couple pairs that will go in her stocking and a Christmas pair to give her early for her to wear for work.. I did pick up some things for me as well but that doesn't count as they aren't Christmas presents but I will be wearing them during Christmas.. .I also bought her a dress at Bealls on clearance for her and her husband trip to Jamaica. We stopped at Ross and I did grab some hair bands to put in her stocking, and some Footie socks for my DH for his stocking but after looking at the ones in his sock drawer I went ahead and put them in the drawer... last stop was the dollar tree and I found a bunch of books the write on wipe off kind, stickers and coloring book to put in my grandsons stocking.

I could use some suggestions on a kitchen gifts for my daughter... Every year I buy her something really nice for her to use in the kitchen, then some type of kitchen tools. Last year it was stainless steel mixing bowls with lids and in her stocking I had found some bamboo salad servers, and a couple of colorful spatula's in different sizes... Also for her birthday I got her some new wisk's and a hand grader with the cup attachment on the bottom she had been eyeing mine. So she loves to bake, and has started moving out of her comfort zone with cooking... She has the basic's - griddle, crockpot, kitchen aid with some attachments, I think they have a deep fryer. So any suggestions would be much appreciated.
My husband bought me a Lodge Dutch oven last year. I like it.

For the stocking, if she loves to bake, a nice mini ice cream scoop that has a press to release is great. I use it for cookies all the time - makes everything so even and perfect (and round, so you get circles). You could also get her an icing spatula or smoother for cakes.

As the bigger gift, for baking, you could get her multi-sized springform pans, so she could do tiered cakes (and cheesecakes)...I would go with a better set that this, but this gives you the idea (it also shows what the 2 icing small items would look like)...https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Sprin...3_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1531315112&sr=8-1

For stocking stuffers, you could go for some high-quality spices--you know, pricey vanilla, fancy olive oil, and so forth. Does she have a Kitchenaid? They come in so many pretty colors now, I'm jealous, but my 20yo white one works just fine. They have some cool attachments, too--pasta maker, spiralizer, meat grinder, and so forth, depending on your DD's interests.

I normally shop whenever I see things, and I do have a few items for little ones in my extended family, but this year will be different, as we are planning a more-expensive-than-usual Disney trip that will be the big immediate family gift for all of us.

Not yet, but I do need to start looking for stocking stuffers for the kids. I can't shop early for them anymore, they are old enough that they have specific wants so I need to wait until closer to the holiday to get a list from them. Otherwise it will change 49 times between now and Thanksgiving. Same with clothes, I can buy for my oldest now but my youngest is growing like crazy so who knows what size he'll be in by Christmas.

I have been thinking about starting to buy gift cards now to spread out some of the cost.

I, OTOH, have to shop for him, 4 kids, various relatives, decorate the house, do the baking, sew Nutcracker costumes (including working backstage during dress rehearsal and performances), and race out to buy DS12 new black pants because he grew three inches since his last violin performance (as an example--could be shoes, could be a new dress shirt...).

I hear you! And the outgrowing clothes part... My 12 year old grew over an inch in the last 3 weeks alone! He's now taller than me and with bigger shoes too. I made sure his costume for the school musical was the last one I hemmed since there's no way he was going to be the same height on performance day as he was at the beginning of rehearsals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter