Booked but still on the fence?

Looking to see if others are on the same page. For those that are booked until end of 2021, are you planning on going no matter what or are you booked but waiting to see if things change eg. discounts, park hour extension, fireworks, masks,
We are booked with another family and waiting until last minute to make our decision. I’d like to go but can’t see spending all of this money without getting more out of it. I know threads like this have been posted a dozen or more times but I’m curious on if you booked but will without a doubt cancel if things haven’t changed before your full payment is due.
our thoughts are if the family we are going with decide they would rather wait then we will go to universal since Atleast there are good deals.
thanks
Booked over the 4th of July for split stay GF/Riveria, booked in October for Wine and Food and hopefully Party of the Senses, and booked for New Years and hopefully New Year's party at California Grill. Going no matter what BUT if no Party for the Senses or New Year's Party, we will do DVC portion of stays and forgo the concierge level rooms with Signature Services at CR. No need to spend the $$$ if the activities we wish to attend and club level services are not reinstated.

We’re going in June for my daughter’s high school graduation... no way we’re canceling... some Disney magic is better than none at all!!!

So I'm not booked for 2021 but took a few weeks deciding. It was book for 2021 and wait and see (we're off-site and but 3rd party so it's not an easy cancel but we can) but emotionally and mentally after all of 2020/2021 I don't know if I could have handled it when this Disney trip is supposed to pick us all up after everything (and to think we went in December 2019 before it all went wrong). To me the magic of Disney is the sum of it all. Seeing the castle from the window of Ohana, watching my anxiety ridden kiddo discover they love rollercoasters, watching another kiddo interact pin trading with CMs, finding characters in the wild, a kiddo going shy with their favorite character, the conversations we have in a line, my favorite ride at my favorite time of day. Crying at fireworks because apparently I'm 5. Falling asleep on the sidewalk on main street waiting for the parade. Mickey waffles all week. I wear a mask to do my part but I want to celebrate not having to wear one anymore in Disney and I want to be able to have every single bit of magic in my day. I want to ride the tram and anticipate the day. I want us to make up silly little rhymes so we remember we're in the Peter Pan lot. I don't want one single thing missing/out of place or marring our trip. I don't want Covid to touch a place where we go to get away from things.

We are booked for the first two weeks in August and I'm about 90% sure we are going. We haven't been since June, 2018 and we miss it so much! Plus, my boys (both will be 15 at time of trip) aren't getting any younger and we have a trip planned to visit some of the national parks out west next summer, so if we don't go this summer, I'm not sure when we can go again.

We've been several times before so we are totally okay with a limited experience. In fact, there is a part of me looking forward to not having to stake out a spot in front of the castle to watch HEA an hour or more before showtime. We love character meet and greets, but they aren't a deal breaker for us. Again, I'm kind of looking forward to not having to wait in line to meet characters. I'm also looking forward to going with little plans and not having to worry about checking the time to make sure we don't miss a fast pass. We are looking forward to a more relaxed experience. We also have downtime built is so we can hang out at our resort and the waterpark, too. I know it will be different, but we just need some Disney magic.

That said, I am nervous about wearing masks. Like many others, I am not against masks and I wear one all day while I teach, but I am worried about wearing one outside in the August heat. The other thing I'm worried about is the long lines that we'll be waiting in. I'm worried about waiting outside in the blazing sun in a line that is long due to social distancing. If wearing masks outside would be dropped and the social distancing would be decreased to 3 feet, I'd have zero worries about traveling to Disney this summer.

A lot can change in the days and weeks ahead. I can't believe the changes Disney has made just in the last week or so. Honestly, as people continue to get vaccinated and numbers continue to drop, I'd be surprised if Disney doesn't make more changes - in a good way - before our trip. We are 84 days out and I'm expecting things to be different than they are today.

We are booked the week after Thanksgiving. After cancelling two DCL cruises I am really missing Disney. We put all the money we saved from the 2 cruises and the little ones missing almost a year of daycare into purchasing dvc resale.

Dh, DS16 and myself are fully vaccinated. Ds6 and DD4 are not. I do worry a bit that Disney will take away all restrictions by Nov. I hope they at least require masks indoors. The other stuff I will be okay with doing away with. Either way I will have my little ones in a mask on the plane and indoors.

I am also worried Disney will increase capacity and not have fast passes or open more shows/entertainment. However, we will most likely be going no matter what. We have our first DVC stay in a two bedroom at Copper Creek. Even if the parks are crowded I am looking forward to all the resort Xmas decorations and spending my sons bday at Disney. I will be happy to have lots of resort time this trip.

My biggest concern was that my work was requiring a negative Covid test before return to work. They only accepted certain ones so I would have had to test while in FL. Thankfully, our hospital now says if you are fully vaccinated you no longer need to test unless you have symptoms.

You should just decide yourself versus relying on others as each person has a different level of what they want out of their trip. However if you expect it will be completely back to what it was before you may be disappointe.

Dh, DS16 and myself are fully vaccinated. Ds6 and DD4 are not. I do worry a bit that Disney will take away all restrictions by Nov. I hope they at least require masks indoors. The other stuff I will be okay with doing away with. Either way I will have my little ones in a mask on the plane and indoors.

I don't think Disney can lift restrictions until children can be vaccinated, too.

Last edited:
We have trips planned for long weekends over Labor Day/Sept and 6 weeks later in mid-October. Flights are already purchased. We do have APs and are DVC members (both purchased Feb 2020, lol). We went one time since Disney reopened in February 2021, and had a wonderful time, even with the limitations. All three of us are vaccinated now, and we look forward to more of our favorite restaurants opening and eventually some new rides! (From the US, for the person who asked).

Going in November. Haven’t booked a flight yet so I guess not 100% committed. But are probably 95% going. We have already postponed once and are hoping some things will be back by November.

I still hope we can go this summer, we are from Canada, if the border re-opens, we will go, but it really doesn't look good with the slow pace vaccination rollout here.. :sad2:

My sister and I bought plane tickets so we are pretty committed to our trip in October. Just us, though and just for a long weekend. Not bringing her kids. We are ride people and aren't really concerned with parades or characters or fireworks. I just need to get back on Big Thunder Mountain again. We aren't considering going back with the whole family until things are closer to normal. We are both vaccinated and live in the US.

We are currently booked in September and January. I will likely be cancelling the September trip especially if masks are still required. My family went to an outdoor event where it hit 90 degrees and I quickly realized that wearing a mask in that environment is not enjoyable. We will probably keep our January reservation regardless of the mask situation since the weather is more conducive to mask wearing. I would love it if more stuff is available then (looking at you fastpass). If more resort amenities aren't available I will definitely consider moving offsite.

Booked for first of December at Pop for 9 nights. The adamant language regarding masks for the Halloween Party has me rethinking and possibly canceling.

Also, that there will still be cavalcades instead of meet and greets makes me think 2021 isn't going to do it for me, either.
UPDATE:

DH really really REALLY wants to go. October will be 2 years since our last visit and it's the longest he's gone since I started taking him in 2017 and I think he's a bigger fan than me. Didn't see that one coming AT ALL. He's pretty sure he's going to get teary-eyed as we enter each park.

So, we're sticking to it and going regardless of my hesitations. He works really hard for his family and I can hush so he can go to his happy place.

We were booked for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years. I agonized for months, waiting and hoping to hear enough things changing back towards normal to make it worth it, but alas, no way. I finally cancelled a couple weeks ago. Will not go until masks are 100% not required, APs are available again, 50% borrowing rule is lifted, shows, and fireworks are back, every restaurant and hotel open, all boats running, basically all the magic. I like the way an earlier poster put it, I'm not letting covid touch the place i go to get away from life, and ruin the magic for me. Same prices, less than 1/2 the experiences, that's a fool's game.

I found decently priced flights last week going down to MCO at the perfect time. I just got an email that my flight time has changed and it’s now a layover. I think it’s a sign. Lol. I cancelled and got a full refund.

I will hold off on canceling my reservation with Disney but DD again mentioned not doing WDW until more things are open and masks are gone. I’m on the same page. I was being optimistic about the masks a few weeks ago when I booked but I am loosing steam. I believe a pp mentioned that Disney will be a few months behind the general public so I don’t see masks being dropped by then.

Again this is a surprise trip but we talk about our trip we are planning for late 2022. I think by then Disney will be back to having fireworks, FP, shows, all restaurants open, no masks, etc. I told her I would like to go to WDW for a quick trip this year and she went “meh” and shrugged her shoulders. She’s not interested in going in the state Disney is in right now.

Last edited:
WDW Jan 2020. Spur of the moment and it had been 5 years since prior visit. I was shocked by the huge crowd (Princess Marathon Weekend, I discovered). Looked like I was done with WDW.

September 2020. Reports of smaller crowds. I bit. Two weeks in Orlando In timeshares. A couple of short park days. Solo. This isn’t so bad. F&W Festival. Halloween treats.

November 2020. Back for more. With 3 adult family members. All day in the hot sun. MMRR line ever less than a hour. ToT 60+ min. Didn’t even bother attempting SDD. Hot and often FL afternoon thunderstorms (with lightning).

Jan 2021. Let’s try solo again. Festival of the Arts is something new for me. Got a timeshare at the last minute. Car accident 40 minutes into trip. Still waiting on a side mirror on back order nation-wide. It was going to be low season and cool weather. Sigh.

May 2021. Planned after failed Jan trip. Timeshare booked. Sidetrip on the way home. ... Sitting at home now. I pulled the plug. It’s 92 degrees in Orlando the next two days. And it’s not solo, which means no arrive late - leave early, do just a few rides and leave experience. It would be maximize the ticket.

... Announcement of Boo Bash. F & W will be happening. The party means park time capped at 5-5.5 hours. In the evening. I think it’s doable, even with August or September heat.

(From US, drive 12 hours from AL, vaccinated, stay off-site in timeshares which are basically use-or-lose, spur of the moment trips use leftover non-expiration PH tickets, so no big loss of $ if trip gets cancelled).

Bottom line - it‘s the idea of heat (mask just makes it worse, not the deal breaker) and going all day that keeps me away.

If I had to buy multi-day tickets for a group today (to make park reservations), I probably wouldn’t plan on going. If staying on site with a refundable package, I’d book it now and make park reservations.

I think today’s Disney is just as tiring as it was 10 years ago. And just as fun. Just different. I’d say even newbies can have a great time. And it won’t get any less expensive in the future.

We got canceled last year, so we are going twice this year, mid summer for 12 days and end of the year for 10 days. Actually think it will be less crowded with limited capacities, social distancing and such. We are on the fence about the vaccine and probably won't get it but who knows what tomorrow will bring. I will do the masks and all the limitations Disney has but I will go and have fun with what there is not worry about what there isn't. That's our choice, others make there own choices to go or not.
:wave: You go girl! Still plenty to do and see. Water park is open now too. We went last October and quite honestly the lack of crowds made up for the omission of certain events or attractions. Going again in two weeks for 12 days and looking forward to it as always!

We are booked for Christmas week coming home on January 2, 2022. I'm rethinking it now because it looks like the parks may not even be open for midnight on NYE. I want to cancel but what if things open up and hotels fill up? I'm paying top dollar for All Star Movies (almost $300 a night!) I'd love some "seasoned" Disney Park Fan Advice....

I have two trips booked. 8 days starting Memorial Day weekend (rescheduled from last May) and then 2 weeks in October starting the weekend of the 50th. I have not been since reopening. Personally, none of what people have stated as reasons for canceling in this thread are an issue to me. Not that they aren’t valid for others, it’s just not a factor for me.

But I’m also an AP that goes a few times a year, and I don’t need things to be 100% back to enjoy myself. I’m also fully vaccinated so other people’s covidiocy doesn’t concern me. The few shows I like are all running (Tiki birds, etc) or will be when I go (FotLK). Fireworks are a loss but not a dealbreaker to me since I really only do them once per trip. Lack of FP+ is literally the only thing making me a bit concerned, since I was a master of gaming that system and never really waited in lines, but having seen a bunch of videos, I have a pretty good idea of how I will tackle the parks without them. After the year I had, I just desperately need a vacation and my happy place will be good for me. I don’t need it to be 2019 Disney to have a good time, but if you need to, by all means cancel.

are you planning on going no matter what or are you booked but waiting to see if things change eg. discounts, park hour extension, fireworks, masks
I wouldn't expect for Disney to extend park hours significantly after the pandemic- maybe an hour or two added at most. They had already begun shortening hours long before anyone had ever heard of Covid, and EMH as we once knew them are gone.

Masks are likely going to be required indoors until sometime in 2022. Disney's branding is all about safety and they aren't going to completely drop their mask requirements until the rest of the USA does (not just certain states, but virtually all of the states).

It seems likely that fireworks will be back for the 50th anniversary in the fall, as life will probably be easing back to normal by then, and lots of places around the US will probably have fireworks displays on the 4th of July this year, normalizing that experience somewhat.

I would not expect significant discounts for fall of 2021, as that is the 50th anniversary, and there will still be a lot of limitations on Americans' other vacation options at that point. Many a family who might have gone on a cruise or to an all-inclusive in the Caribbean will instead go to WDW. That, combined with reduced resort capacity, isn't going to put downward pressure on prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter