Booked but still on the fence?

We changed our trip from June 2021 to 2022. We just shell out too much to get to WDW to still have so many things reduce, closed, not yet available, etc. Plus, masks at Disney is just something my family isn't interested in experiencing. We mask up every day without complaint at home, but we choose to wait for a maskless Disney trip. :)

We're still going this year over fourth of July but changed to staying off property and added in a universal trip on the back end. Disney really did a great job convincing me to stay off property for the first time and it saved me a ton of money. I think we're going to have a better time this year since we're going longer and including universal.

I've got hotel booked for early December, but if fireworks and character M&Gs aren't back, and masks are still required outdoors I'll be cancelling. I have no issues with the mask requirement, but I just don't want to be at Disney and have to wear a mask most of the trip.

I will most likely book air fare next month when SW opens up, but that can be changed as well. I'm hoping that by the end of the year enough people are vaccinated so that masks will no longer be required.

We're from Canada and have 3 weeks booked in Nov, but if the mask requirements are still in place we won't be going. I've no desire to spend all that money to have to wear a mask all day, not sure I could even last all day with a mask on. As we have DVC booked, we'll have to make a decision in Sept to cancel or go and then see if we can get airline tickets.

I have a trip booked for October and December. My feelings on it are pretty simple. If they still require masks outdoors I won’t attend in October but will wait until December. I have no interest in risking dehydration and suffering on vacation so if I still have to wear the mask then I’ll go when it’s cooler in December. I was someone holding out for more entertainment/parade/nighttime spectaculars, but I can’t just keep waiting my life away and I already bought an annual pass voucher in 2019 for my cancelled 2020 trip. I’ll go and obey all the rules, just hoping for a more normal trip later this year.

We’re also Canadian and booked for January 2022. Masks don’t bother me, my family has a lot of nurses and doctors. If they can wear them all through this hellish year I can too. BUT January won’t be anything like wearing them in summer and I realize that.

As for reduced experiences.. well we’ve taken a lot of trips since the kids were small . Dd is 24 and moved out now, ds is 18 and on his way to University in a year. If we can go as a family I will just count ourselves lucky to be able to go and vacation as a family again. This year has been beastly and we so need something positive to look forward too. I know it won’t be the same as I remember , but I’m counting on it still being magical and we are all really excited.

The deal is , we have to be fully vaccinated ( we currently only have one dose and ds17 hasn’t had any ), and the quarantines need to be lifted. If long quarantines are still in place we will reschedule until they aren’t and hope we can find a time we can travel together again. Those times are getting fewer and fewer.

Last edited:
Looking to see if others are on the same page. For those that are booked until end of 2021, are you planning on going no matter what or are you booked but waiting to see if things change eg. discounts, park hour extension, fireworks, masks,
We are booked with another family and waiting until last minute to make our decision. I’d like to go but can’t see spending all of this money without getting more out of it. I know threads like this have been posted a dozen or more times but I’m curious on if you booked but will without a doubt cancel if things haven’t changed before your full payment is due.
our thoughts are if the family we are going with decide they would rather wait then we will go to universal since Atleast there are good deals.
thanks
I'm booked at Caribbean Beach December 10-20th, and I'm mostly committed but still waiting to see how things shake out. If masks are still required outdoors and there's no parades or fireworks, restricted dining, etc. then I will cancel. I am honestly hoping we are mostly back to normal by December, at least that's what I am banking on

Booked for late August/early September in a combined Disney/Universal vacation. We are going come hell or high water. It's been a difficult few years for us...we had our last big Disney trip and family vacation in 2015, shortly after which my husband hit a rough patch in his business and we had to cut our budget back and weren't able to do any real vacations for about 4+ years. Finally we got back into a position where we could travel again, had a cruise booked for April 2020 that I was obsessively planning and...you know what happened next.

Am I hoping for more restaurants and shows to open, fireworks to restart, and maybe outdoor mask mandate to be lifted between now and then? You betcha. But if they don't--we are still going to have the time of our lives and I can't wait!

Looking to see if others are on the same page. For those that are booked until end of 2021, are you planning on going no matter what or are you booked but waiting to see if things change eg. discounts, park hour extension, fireworks, masks,
We are booked with another family and waiting until last minute to make our decision. I’d like to go but can’t see spending all of this money without getting more out of it. I know threads like this have been posted a dozen or more times but I’m curious on if you booked but will without a doubt cancel if things haven’t changed before your full payment is due.
our thoughts are if the family we are going with decide they would rather wait then we will go to universal since Atleast there are good deals.
thanks

I was in the same boat, with 3 previous vacations and cruises cancelled, we were so ready to go, but conflicted about going to wdw with all the restrictions and mask requirements in place. we were divided, but we went and I am so glad we did, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. The grandkids loved it, we got in at 3 disney spring restaurants, and the lines weren't horrible, most attractions were 40 minutes or so. My opinion is Go.

Spent a week at the Poly late April. First time back since Jan 2020. I don’t care about parades or character meets but did miss fireworks. I thought I’d hate masks more than I did. They didn’t really bother me. Biggest inconvenience is not being able to walk and drink a beer at the same time (I still managed just had to be quick). Mobile ordering is easy and convenient. No fast passes but lines move a heck of a lot quicker so nice trade off. Going back for a week mid July. It still felt every bit like Disney as it usually does. We’re AP and make 3-4 trips a year.

I don't doubt everyone is serious, but there were so many people this summer who were saying they would never go back to WDW if masks are required there. Yet, most WDW parks are booked solid months out, and people can't find hotel availability six months from now.

It doesn't always seem this way on discussion boards where anti-maskers tend to be very vocal, but polls show the majority of American adults still support mask mandates. This support might change as more children are eligible to be vaccinated. For now though, Disney would lose the support of more people by ending their mask requirements than by keeping them.

Personally, I don't see a mask requirements changing until children 2+ can be vaccinated in the late summer or early fall, especially if Disney wants to reduce social distancing from 6 feet to 3 feet. I think they are more likely to change social distancing requirements because it allows them to fit more people into queues and rides (and ultimately the park). Changing social distancing will mean more revenue for Disney. Removing the mask requirement would not mean more revenue for Disney. So, I think social distancing will be what changes this summer, and not the mask requirement.

Of course, I could be wrong! That's just my perspective, thoughts, and guesses.

Last edited:
I'm booked at Caribbean Beach December 10-20th, and I'm mostly committed but still waiting to see how things shake out. If masks are still required outdoors and there's no parades or fireworks, restricted dining, etc. then I will cancel. I am honestly hoping we are mostly back to normal by December, at least that's what I am banking on

Same here. If things aren't back to normal, I don't want to spend $$$$ on a Disney vacation that's a watered down version of what I'm used to.

I don't doubt everyone is serious, but there were so many people this summer who were saying they would never go back to WDW if masks are required there. Yet, most WDW parks are booked solid months out, and people can't find hotel availability six months from now.

It doesn't always seem this way on discussion boards where anti-maskers tend to be very vocal, but polls show the majority of American adults still support mask mandates. This support might change as more children are eligible to be vaccinated. For now though, Disney would lose the support of more people by ending their mask requirements than by keeping them.

Personally, I don't see a mask requirements changing until children 2+ can be vaccinated in the late summer or early fall, especially if Disney wants to reduce social distancing from 6 feet to 3 feet. I think they are more likely to change social distancing requirements because it allows them to fit more people into queues and rides (and ultimately the park). Changing social distancing will mean more revenue for Disney. Removing the mask requirement would not mean more revenue for Disney. So, I think social distancing will be what changes this summer, and not the mask requirement.

If I were to take a wild stab in the dark regarding the timing of various changes at Disney World, this is what I would guess:

July 1 - Social distancing officially reduced and park capacity increased (College Program castmembers should be trained by this date, and it will allow Disney to open the parks up more for 4th of July).

October 1 - Outdoor mask requirement lifted in response to all children 2+ being eligible for vaccination.
(Edit to add: Part of me thinks Disney would still require masks in the queues, though, since people in line might stand next to the same people for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. Perhaps there will be cast members standing at the entrances of queues and buildings, asking people to put on masks, similar to how they would be at the entrances of queues for FastPass).

February 1 - Indoor mask requirement lifted (I chose this date because it's after the major holidays. I don't think they could do January 1 because the parks are so crowded for New Year's and winter break).

I actually 100 percent support Disney in the mask mandate, I just don't want to wear a mask 24/7 while on vacation, and while the mask mandate and social distancing are in play there probably won't be fireworks, parades or character M&Gs, all of which are a big part of WDW trips for me. (well, not the parades so much.)

I cancelled our package for October. With the limited offerings and mask rules I just can’t do it. It’s too much money for what I would be getting in return.

I not anti mask. I work in healthcare. We wear masks but I’m not going to wear a mask 24/7 while on vacation. We have 3 other vacations booked this year that don’t require masks and had one a few months ago.

Not wanting to wear a mask on vacation does not make you anti mask.

July 1 - Social distancing officially reduced and park capacity increased (College Program castmembers should be trained by this date, and it will allow Disney to open the parks up more for 4th of July).

I’d love nothing more than for them to keep the 6 ft markers even after the pandemic is over. I like having some personal space because a lot of guests are annoying.

They should also keep the hand sanitizer stations throughout the park, simple cheap way to help with sanitation.

I actually 100 percent support Disney in the mask mandate, I just don't want to wear a mask 24/7 while on vacation, and while the mask mandate and social distancing are in play there probably won't be fireworks, parades or character M&Gs, all of which are a big part of WDW trips for me. (well, not the parades so much.)

I’ve 100% followed all the rules in my state and at Disney during the pandemic. I was vaccinated in March, my daughter tested positive last week and is still in quarantine. At some point masks need to be lifted, the vaccine is readily available, if you chose not to get it and get sick that’s now on you. Between vaccines administered and people that tested positive we’re closing in on herd immunity. We’re not going to overwhelm hospitals at this point. Disney is going to do what Disney does but I hope at the very least they lift masks for outdoors.

If I were to take a wild stab in the dark regarding the timing of various changes at Disney World, this is what I would guess:

October 1 - Outdoor mask requirement lifted in response to all children 2+ being eligible for vaccination.
(Edit to add: Part of me thinks Disney would still require masks in the queues, though, since people in line might stand next to the same people for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. Perhaps there will be cast members standing at the entrances of queues and buildings, asking people to put on masks, similar to how they would be at the entrances of queues for FastPass).

February 1 - Indoor mask requirement lifted (I chose this date because it's after the major holidays. I don't think they could do January 1 because the parks are so crowded for New Year's and winter break).

You’re making some sort of point about masks in relation to vaccinations but that makes less than zero sense when cruise lines are requiring masks and a vax. If you have the vax then you shouldn’t need a mask. Not to mention outdoor spread is proven to be negligible with or without a mask.
Universal will be back to normal well before WDW and it’s just Disney playing hardball.
As for reservations being difficult, yes. But that’s simply because of the limited hotels available, limited restaurants and limited capacity.
Honestly the WDW I see in videos does not look fun with all the mobile ordering and what not.
I’m not refusing to go back in any way, but I am refusing to go back until it’s a normal Disney experience for the amount of money they demand.
The people blogging and showing off Disney as still being great....live there and go daily and hardly spend a fraction of the cost the rest of us do to go there. I’m sure if I lived there I would be fine with it to an extent too.
I typically go twice a year minimum along with 2 cruises a year and we haven’t been since 2019. I miss it, but the $50k I saved in 2020 from not going doesn’t make me feel too bad. Either Disney needs to see that people don’t want the watered down, unspectacular version and will spend money elsewhere.

Agreed. They are “packed” and “booked solid” with limited hotels open and limited capacity in the parks.
Ive been wearing a mask a my hospital for well over a year. I’m not “anti mask” but the science doesn’t support mask wearing outdoors any longer.
l truly believe it’s a sticking point for many, many people, not just the people on this thread.

Universal will be back to normal well before WDW and it’s just Disney playing hardball.

All over my IG feed during spring break were people in Florida. Not one went to Disney. They all went to universal. I’m actually contemplating booking at universal now since we cancelled Disney for October and doing the HHN. I think outside masks will be gone at universal way before Disney.

I cancelled our package for October. With the limited offerings and mask rules I just can’t do it. It’s too much money for what I would be getting in return.

I not anti mask. I work in healthcare. We wear masks but I’m not going to wear a mask 24/7 while on vacation. We have 3 other vacations booked this year that don’t require masks and had one a few months ago.

Not wanting to wear a mask on vacation does not make you anti mask.

Exactly!!!! The very least they can do is encourage masks but not require them outdoors. Not to mention bringing back all restaurants, fireworks and parades. It really isn’t a big ask of them....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter