• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cases rising or dropping by you?

I agree it’s terrible. 1 death is 1 too many; however, weren’t original predictions estimated at 1.2 - 2 million? Also, you have to take into account the
50-60,000 potentially preventable nursing home deaths.
Well, 6 months from now we could be at 1 million +. Nursing homes are sad, there is one less than a mile from me that has had 11 covid-19 deaths and 175 cases confirmed between residents and staff. Not sure how it's preventable though. Where do you put these people where they would be safe?

Well, 6 months from now we could be at 1 million +. Nursing homes are sad, there is one less than a mile from me that has had 11 covid-19 deaths and 175 cases confirmed between residents and staff. Not sure how it's preventable though. Where do you put these people where they would be safe?
In this case it really just means your COVID protocols are robust. Early detection and isolation of those found to be positive is key for it not to spread. Because the population within long-term care facilities are at risk of complications and higher death rates this is quite important. Once it spreads it can be difficult to contain, the more cases there the higher likelihood of deaths within these facilities. Also part of COVID protocols is ensuring staff are wearing proper PPE and are adhering to safe measures such as switching out the PPE when needed, reducing the amount of people handling an individual who is positive (meaning don't have 5 staff members coming in and out of a room with a positive individual who then goes to another room who is not positive and so on), having checks (though not relying only on temperature) for health so you catch individuals who may have mild symptoms, target test workers who have high contact with these individuals within the long-term care facilities. Even then spread may occur but at least it's better than having little to no protocol in place.

There is nothing 100% but some states implemented policies to send COVID positive patients back to nursing homes housing the most vulnerable group. I never understood why NY specifically didn’t utilize the Hospital Ship Mercy.

It’s starting to tick up nationwide. Part of this can be explained by the back to school. But I wonder for the colder regions what this will look like over the next couple of months.

It’s hard to assess. Texas, last week, retracted their peak positivity rate from 25% to 12% due to a “coding” error. Collin County in Texas had over 4600 cases. After thorough investigation, cases dropped from 4600 and something to 100. They admitted to overestimating numbers by 5600.
Yes, there have been some major glitches.

Here in Florida, Quest Diagnostics dumped 75,000+ test results in one day -- including 7,600+ new cases, IIRC. I think the date was August 31, and the cases went all the way back to April! That was pretty messed up.

There is nothing 100% but some states implemented policies to send COVID positive patients back to nursing homes housing the most vulnerable group. I never understood why NY specifically didn’t utilize the Hospital Ship Mercy.
If the ship was taking care of people the hospitals weren't getting paid which is both disgusting and horrifying at once. There was a point where Gov Cuomo sort of said it by talking about the empty ship and how there here things that needed to be worked about about input/triage first, not an acceptable rationale.
Administrators all over the US sent patients back because those patients were a gold mine, its couldn't have been more gross if they tried.

Oh and PS, if I seem salty that's because I am steaming. Today I had a stove delivered (unavoidable) and the installer had to be asked to wear a mask then refused to wear his gator it properly then proceeded to sniffle and cough/clear his throat with it NOT over his nose. I wanted to lysol him but waited until he left then scrubbed everything including my walls 3 times with disinfectant, what is wrong with people? It's my house, I don't care what he does on his own time but really

Last edited:

Today I had a stove delivered (unavoidable) and the installer had to be asked to wear a mask then refused to wear his gator it properly then proceeded to sniffle and cough/clear his throat with it NOT over his nose. I wanted to lysol him but waited until he left then scrubbed everything including my walls 3 times with disinfectant, what is wrong with people? It's my house, I don't care what he does on his own time but really
Make a phone call to whomever you arranged the installation through, and depending on the public health order where you live, maybe the health department. In some areas they are pulling licenses for things like this.

should be dropping in yuma....no line to be tested...if that line is avaiable to the public...not sure if it was hosptial visitors only...which now that I think about it, they wanted my name....so the whole process has changed, first it was 2 hours in the morning in the shade of the tower, last week it was done during my ekg, today in a parking lot that has a building for staff to tool up and be out of the heat.

53% of nursing home residents die within 6 months of becoming a resident.

Nursing homes are sad without Covid-19.

53% of nursing home residents die within 6 months of becoming a resident.

Nursing homes are sad without Covid-19.
Seems very high. I can't find that stat but according to the National Care Planning Council* the average time a resident spends in a facility is 835 days, so that seems to be in conflict with the 53% stat.
The National Investment Center their stats say 29 months.**
I know my mom's Long Term Care Policy had a $300,000 cap. so the cost of the particular facility you choose would impact the length of payments. The place she was in was $4,300 a month so she would have had nearly 70 months coverage. The "DELUXE" facility was $8,000 a month, so if she had live there her coverage would have run out after 37 months

* https://www.mylifesite.net/blog/post/so-ill-probably-need-long-term-care-but-for-how-long/#:~:text=Care Doesn't Always End with Assisted Living&text=The average stay in a,nursing home is 270 days.)

**https://files.asprtracie.hhs.gov/documents/aspr-tracie-ta-long-term-care-statistics-6-27-17-508.pdf

Last edited:
Which states?

The decisions of the Navy ships were never up to NY.
The WH and Pentagon were the ones deciding who to treat and what the admit procedures were.
Mercy was sent to only allowed to relieve pressure in the city by only accepting non-COVID patients. The Comfort was also initially only meant for non-COVID patients, but Cuomo requested to the WH for the ship to admit COVID-positive patients as well. But, the admit protocols were overly complicated.

Seemed high to me too, but a simple Google search turned up this University of California San Francisco study:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/08/9... of participants,study died within six months.
LOL. Nobody agrees. Although this study is 10 years old. My mom was in a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly which is a facility with no more than 6 residents. 3 had been there 5 years. All three were in their mid to late 90's and had dementia. the oldest was 98, and fit as a fiddle physically. She had no living relatives, As the care home owner put it, both her children had already died of old age. My mom was there one year.

Seemed high to me too, but a simple Google search turned up this University of California San Francisco study:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/08/9... of participants,study died within six months.
And that article was written 10 years ago AND the data was from 1992-2006 so 28-14 years ago. The actual crux of the article being social care is timeless but using specific stats like the PP did with data collected that long ago.....we have no idea if lifespan has adjusted (which I believe it has since the '90s), treatment protocols have adjusted, overall health of the individuals prior to entering the nursing home and so much more. It's entirely possible the number is still roughly accurate. But I wouldn't lay claim to that data as a statement of fact (which is really more of what the other poster's comment sounded like).

Source please.

Nursing home != Hospice Care.

The average age of participants when they moved to a nursing home was about 83. The average length of stay before death was 13.7 months, while the median was five months. Fifty-three percent of nursing home residents in the study died within six months.

There are other studies that have found longer times and others that have found even shorter times.

Nursing homes are sad places.

Hospice care average time is much less then 6 months.
76.1 days.

My father was in hospice care for well over a year. He had cancer and once he decided to no longer seek treatment his pain and day to day was managed by hospice. At first just once a month visits and eventually daily visits.

LOL. Nobody agrees.
Right -- AND, we can find Google-proof for just about anything. You just tell Google what you want the "proof" to say and BAM, there it is.

We had a decision to make with my MIL, and I'm glad we kept her in her own home. She was disabled, and the last couple of years couldn't even stand up. But being at home, she felt independent even though she had a caretaker 3 times a day and a visiting nurse every day. I am convinced that decision added many years to her life. She died in May at 93.

This is purely anecdotal evidence, but I had 5 family members that lived in nursing homes. The longest lived there 16 years, before she passed away. (Her kids basically threw her away, when she became handicapped from a brain tumor. She could take care of herself, but couldn't walk or work. :() One lived 5 years, two lived 3+ years & the 5th lived about a year. Two of the four were put in a nursing home, because they needed medical care that the family wasn't qualified to render. During this time, I spent many years visiting these facilities & got to know many of the patients. Based on my experience, I find the stat that suggests 53% of nursing home patients die within 6 months impossible to believe. Either it's yet another made up stat to fit an agenda or the 4 nursing homes my family members lived in did a fantastic job at keeping people alive. I do believe that Hospice care probably averages less than 6 months. I know people who lived longer. I also know people who lived much less. Some people live in nursing homes for several years, then have Hospice take over near the end, even though they're still in a nursing home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter