College parents...fall semester?

Masks should be required. Did the Universityorganize the march on campus?
They arranged for them to use the Stadium.
Will the fans be required to wear masks?
Yes, but they will not be socially distanced the entire time. And it will also attract extra (IMO) unneeded people into town to mix with the locals.

I fully support mask wearing when social distancing isn't possible. My daughter's beef is with the times you can be socially distanced (like sitting in a corner outdoors reading a book) or walking from the parking structure.
My sons University starts random testing soon. They had over 800 new positives so it’s needed.
Mizzou has 650 positives and no random testing. In fact, you can't even walk up and request a test. You have to have a referral. If you have close exposure to a known positive, they quarantine and won't give a test.

She uses about 2-3 per day. She just keeps it on from class to class since she needs to wear it at all times even when walking to the next class. She uses one when she goes for a run and an extra if she gets sweaty or it’s raining. She went with 15 and a pack of disposables Incase she doesn’t do laundry frequently enough.

So the University updated the mask policy yet again today. I didn't complain although others must have. Masks now not required if you are alone outdoors and socially distanced. I appreciate that they seem willing to listen and adjust.

AC is now fixed 2 1/2 weeks later. They don't need it right now but I'm sure they will again before fall is over.

Watching the FSU football game in Tallahassee. Super disappointed they are not enforcing the masks required rule in the stadium. Huge parties happening at off-campus apartment complexes, and bars re-open here in FL on Monday. Ready for a rise in infection numbers.

The ACC football game between my two kids’ schools (Virginia Tech vs University of Virginia) for next weekend just got postponed. Too may VT players were diagnosed with Covid this past week.

Stories are starting to come out about kids being penalized for violating Covid rules. They're being posted to look for sympathy but I take comfort knowing that the University is making an effort. Because if they can't get students following the rules, they'll have to send everyone home again.

One student was given a $150 fine and had to write a 1500 essay on Covid restrictions. The parent thought that was over the top. I wonder what they thought about Northeastern expelling kids with no refunds. I'm hearing kids are being put on probation as well. Some are being turned in by RA's in the dorms. One got a "Covid ticket" for not having a mask on walking back from the bathroom. Another got in trouble for "having dinner with a friend off campus". Which isn't against any rule I've seen, so I'll just assume "dinner" involved more than 20 people.

Official case count has gone down a little and sits at 562. Still not great, but if believed, maybe isn't getting worse.

Word is that they have gotten more serious about all of this because the local school district has been forced to go all virtual because of all the University cases.

My dd's school announced that all sports and Greek activities are cancelled, no more residence hall visitation, and there is no more in-person dining allowed.
They stated that enhanced enforcement of gatherings will be happening. I'm not sure if that means they weren't really serious about it before. Violators will face suspension, loss of athletic eligibility or Greek status.
They are over 100 cases at this point, if they get more than 100 positives in a 2 week period they have to go to all online classes.
My dd lives off campus and she has only been getting together with 2 friends that also live off campus so not much is changing for her right now except off campus students have to be tested continuously or move to all online classes.
Just read this so I haven't even talked to her yet, I do have questions about the testing, if it something she will do through the school or does she have to seek it out herself.

Stories are starting to come out about kids being penalized for violating Covid rules. They're being posted to look for sympathy but I take comfort knowing that the University is making an effort. Because if they can't get students following the rules, they'll have to send everyone home again.

One student was given a $150 fine and had to write a 1500 essay on Covid restrictions. The parent thought that was over the top. I wonder what they thought about Northeastern expelling kids with no refunds. I'm hearing kids are being put on probation as well. Some are being turned in by RA's in the dorms. One got a "Covid ticket" for not having a mask on walking back from the bathroom. Another got in trouble for "having dinner with a friend off campus". Which isn't against any rule I've seen, so I'll just assume "dinner" involved more than 20 people.

Official case count has gone down a little and sits at 562. Still not great, but if believed, maybe isn't getting worse.

Word is that they have gotten more serious about all of this because the local school district has been forced to go all virtual because of all the University cases.

I like that fines are being levied. I think this is a better approach than expelling students. But, I support expulsion for repeatedly breaking these rules. Colleges and Universities have a difficult task.

I notice, in my area, people are relaxing their defenses. I'm starting to see more comments on social media about unhappiness with mask wearing. Restaurants are not following guidelines regarding seating capacity as more people are going out. Seems like just since labor day. There's a post on our neighborhood page about a local Japanese hibachi style place that was packed over the weekend. I guess there were 60 minute waits with tables filled, people sitting shoulder to shoulder. It's caused a ruckus. People are polarizing over this.

oh, I had a conundrum at work the other day. I work for a hospital system managing covid cases among staff members. Anyway, the CDC has different guidelines for healthcare workers vs the rest of society.

So, I had a young lady call me. She is employed as a patient care tech at our hospital in the ER. She is also a nursing student at a local college. A contact tracer from the college told her she had been exposed while in class and must now qurantine for 2 weeks. However, as a healthcare worker, she is not required to quarantine due to exposure, she does not need to quarantine unless she has symptoms. So....the problem was, the hospital requires her to continue showing up for work, but does she risk punishment from the university if she does so?

I told her that I cannot approve time off due to exposure, but if the college demands that she quarantine from her job as well, they will have to work with her to provided FMLA documentation to keep her job secure....although she will not be paid during that time.

What a bad position for young person to be in.

I was just
oh, I had a conundrum at work the other day. I work for a hospital system managing covid cases among staff members. Anyway, the CDC has different guidelines for healthcare workers vs the rest of society.

So, I had a young lady call me. She is employed as a patient care tech at our hospital in the ER. She is also a nursing student at a local college. A contact tracer from the college told her she had been exposed while in class and must now qurantine for 2 weeks. However, as a healthcare worker, she is not required to quarantine due to exposure, she does not need to quarantine unless she has symptoms. So....the problem was, the hospital requires her to continue showing up for work, but does she risk punishment from the university if she does so?

I told her that I cannot approve time off due to exposure, but if the college demands that she quarantine from her job as well, they will have to work with her to provided FMLA documentation to keep her job secure....although she will not be paid during that time.

What a bad position for young person to be in.
talking to my daughter, she shadows PT for 4 hours a week (it’s through the university, it’s a credit, there is a big PT facility on campus). She was told how important it is to social distancing and she is doing her best, but has 5 roommates that aren’t (Well one is, nursing major). They are supposed to report if they are within 6 feet of someone for more than a minute without a mask. She absolutely needs these hours.

Mizzou continues to regain my confidence in their ability to maybe pull this off. They have now expelled 2 students and suspended 3, with additional cases in the works. 11 organizations are under review.

Numbers of active cases continue to drop. Currently at 332.

Cases at DD's school and her BF's have dropped off dramatically since their peak end of August. Her smallish public peaked at 189 active and is now at 19 and his small private is actually at 0, down from a high of 28. I thought it might settle down after the initial getting back together. Hoping it continues.

Starting to see reports of Spring semester plans from several Colleges and Universities. It will be the same as Fall for my University, mostly remote or online with a small amount of face to face classes. I am seeing lots of the same from around the US. Did see a report of a canceled spring break in March for Ohio State University.

UCF in Orlando has been running about 40-45 positive reports per week, but they have a much larger student body than BC.

For the most part, the students have been very responsible so far. That could change, however, in the next few weeks. The first football game is this Saturday. It's an away game (Ga Tech in Atlanta), but there could still be watch parties, etc. The first home game is Oct 2nd.

Also, bars may have just reopened (or reopen soon) and that could certainly have a big impact. The school is supposedly about 2/3 virtual (I think it's higher than that -- DD is 100% virtual), but people still live their lives outside the classroom.

At UD the students and parents are instructed the name is UD, not Udel (we called it Udel until the first college visit), anyone who says Udel is quickly corrected, did had to correct us several times.

This reminded me of this conversation, wouldn’t have looked twice at it before:

https://www.burlingtoncountytimes.c...es-but-family-friends-cant-attend/5807350002/
Salesianum, UD star Troy Reeder returns to play Eagles, but family, friends can't attend

Troy Reeder will look into the stands Sunday, playing his first NFL game at Lincoln Financial Field, and see nobody.

Not his parents, his brother, fiance, aunts, uncles, grandparents, friends and other family members who under normal circumstances would have been ecstatic to drive up from Delaware to see the former Salesianum and University of Delaware star play inside linebacker for the Los Angeles Rams.

Providence College just had 80 students test positive. This is actually quite a bit because the city of Providence is very small and has a ton of other colleges there as well. Hope they can get it under control quick.

DS told me they got a message from the university president that cases are up in the area and to please only leave campus when really necessary. 🙁 I hope the kids listen, and also that the school works on some more on-campus socializing for them - whether it’s virtual events or socially distant activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter