• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting yesterday, two numbers a day is allowed out each day! I feel like we are the only country coming out of the initial lockdown, for us which started March 16th officially. Everyone required to have a mask on outside the house, 6 ft from people when out, temps taken to enter any indoor space and hand sanitizer and shoe bleaching. Gathering of no more than 10 inside, business at 50% capacity, schools and movie theaters and indoor restaurant seating still closed for most. They just started a pilot of 50 restaurants with indoor seating at distanced capacity. Our island is finally testing a few hundred a week and a good number of them are coming back positive, our number of people in medical care is staying around 60-65. And a few come, a few are discharged. We have not had any deaths this week that I have heard.

Starting yesterday, two numbers a day is allowed out each day! I feel like we are the only country coming out of the initial lockdown, for us which started March 16th officially. Everyone required to have a mask on outside the house, 6 ft from people when out, temps taken to enter any indoor space and hand sanitizer and shoe bleaching. Gathering of no more than 10 inside, business at 50% capacity, schools and movie theaters and indoor restaurant seating still closed for most. They just started a pilot of 50 restaurants with indoor seating at distanced capacity. Our island is finally testing a few hundred a week and a good number of them are coming back positive, our number of people in medical care is staying around 60-65. And a few come, a few are discharged. We have not had any deaths this week that I have heard.
Is there any form of contact tracing going on to understand where the cases are being transmitted? I note with interest that here there has been next to nothing reported of cases transmitted on airplanes or stores/restaurants or in schools now that they have reopened. Most cases are blamed on the nebulous “improper private gatherings”.

How are shoes bleached? I haven’t heard that being done anywhere else but may have just not read about it.

I’ve been reading through this thread over the last few days. My husband is working in Canada right now. We are American. When he arrived at the border (rental vehicle) he needed to have a written plan documenting how he was going to quarantine for 14 days. He had to go directly to his hotel (the hotel had been a part of helping him devise his strategy) check in and then not leave his room for two weeks. He had a 2 burner stove, refrigerator and a microwave. He had taken a cooler full of food and drinks in addition to several plastic bins of non perishables. He was allowed to order food for delivery although I don’t think he ever did and he was permitted to send his laundry out although he hasn’t needed to do that yet either. In both cases he was not to have contact with the person leaving/retrieving items on the other side of the door. His two weeks ended on Wednesday and he was moved to a smaller room without the kitchen amenities. He started work on Thursday. He was told that the Canadian government could send someone to check on him at any time to be sure he was where he was supposed to be, but they did not. He is fairly simple in his basic requirements so I don’t think it was too bad for him. I asked him where he was going to eat Wednesday night and he said in his room as he had 2 hot dogs left.

This Canadian applauds and thanks your husband.

I can’t find the location of where they were, have they mentioned it locally? I’m from the west mountain originally and my family still lives there and works in the Meadowlands.

I'm so unfamiliar with GTA Boundaries anymore that I'd forgotten to say Ancaster with CHCH TV reporting the incident.

Last edited:
From NL: We are in our second wave now, according to our CDC.

- Amsterdam has now (had) more than 10.000 infections. The first city in NL to get to this milestone.
- Back to over 2000 infections per day (nation wide)
- We are going to spread patients over the different hospitals in NL. Amsterdam & Rotterdam are suffering
- One hospital is cancelling their bypass operations as they need the IC for Covid patients.
- A bunch of idiot celebrities (not the real famous ones) have posted on social media how they are going to boycott the measures. So a bunch of other celebrities (and politicians, medical staff etc) are slamming them, we have a #Iwontdoitanymore versus #Iwilldoit battle on Twitter. Some have been called out for their hypocrisy because now the B-listers see their gigs getting cancelled again.

But on the positive side, my thesis is going great and unless the borders close, my trip to DLP in 18 days is still on :)

Our region of the province had 56 cases yesterday. That's up from just a couple a day in the summer. We are back where we were last May. Maybe this is our second wave?

Well we all spent time complaining about those Americans not having control of this thing while we did so well. Looks like karma is out to get us now. :(

We were wanting to treat DS (soon to be) 16 to dinner at our favourite restaurant next week. I'm starting to think we might have to postpone that.

Our region of the province had 56 cases yesterday. That's up from just a couple a day in the summer. We are back where we were last May. Maybe this is our second wave?

Well we all spent time complaining about those Americans not having control of this thing while we did so well. Looks like karma is out to get us now. :(

We were wanting to treat DS (soon to be) 16 to dinner at our favourite restaurant next week. I'm starting to think we might have to postpone that.

In my thinking this has come about through the reckless behaviour of our 20 - 50 somethings. Those here in Canada whom have adopted that "My Constitutional" blah blah blah... I give no one a pass in this!

In my thinking this has come about through the reckless behaviour of our 20 - 50 somethings. Those here in Canada whom have adopted that "My Constitutional" blah blah blah... I give no one a pass in this!
Probably. But there are a lot being careful, too. It's hard to brand an entire age group. Maybe I've just spent too much time in quarantine to notice, lol.

Probably. But there are a lot being careful, too. It's hard to brand an entire age group. Maybe I've just spent too much time in quarantine to notice, lol.
:confused3Well, I haven't been in lock-down since the beginning of April but maybe I'm just seeing what I expect to see? In the past month I've been in Calgary (our home), Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and Niagara Falls. All these places have fairly uniform restrictions. I have honestly not noticed people blatantly disregarding mask requirements nor have I seen any groups out in public together that don't appear to be family/households. Even in the super-touristy places we felt comfortable that rules were being well-enforced and compliance seemed high. And yes, we observed people of all ages.

:confused3Well, I haven't been in lock-down since the beginning of April but maybe I'm just seeing what I expect to see? In the past month I've been in Calgary (our home), Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and Niagara Falls. All these places have fairly uniform restrictions. I have honestly not noticed people blatantly disregarding mask requirements nor have I seen any groups out in public together that don't appear to be family/households. Even in the super-touristy places we felt comfortable that rules were being well-enforced and compliance seemed high. And yes, we observed people of all ages.
Well, that was my point. Sure there are people not doing it right, but many/most are. The only time I've felt nervous was when I go for a walk. People don't give you space and pass right on the sidewalk. I've long since decided I would be the one to move. If I see people coming toward me, I don't wait to see if they'll move, because often they won't. I go on the street, or step into the bush until they pass. But most places, like stores, people may not respect the aisle direction, but they all have masks on properly (the odd one doesn't) and will generally give you the cart's worth of distance.

Its not really spreading in public places. At least in Ontario they are finding its being spread in the younger generation and from parties in general. At most parties people aren't wearing masks or practicing social distancing.

Is there any form of contact tracing going on to understand where the cases are being transmitted?
AHahaha, no, they have no way to do that, especially when those tests take 2, 3 or 4 weeks to get results.
How are shoes bleached?
We have to walk through a pan of
bleach water, they were making cars roll through bleach water a few months back and even spraying cars down as they entered store parking lots, but that part has stopped. Oh, they stopped spraying people too, we had spray tunnels for a bit people had to pass through to enter some places.

AHahaha, no, they have no way to do that, especially when those tests take 2, 3 or 4 weeks to get results.
bleach water, they were making cars roll through bleach water a few months back and even spraying cars down as they entered store parking lots, but that part has stopped. Oh, they stopped spraying people too, we had spray tunnels for a bit people had to pass through to enter some places.

That reminds me of the food processing plant on the TV show V.

:eek: They sprayed you with chlorine bleach?!? How is that even possible? It is extremely caustic. No way you could do that without sustaining injuries, let alone having your clothes ruined. That's the second craziest Covid thing I've heard, right after drinking fish-tank cleaner.

:eek: They sprayed you with chlorine bleach?!? How is that even possible? It is extremely caustic. No way you could do that without sustaining injuries, let alone having your clothes ruined. That's the second craziest Covid thing I've heard, right after drinking fish-tank cleaner.
They said it was a special safe solution that would kill viruses but perfectly safe for people..... I refused to shop anywhere that required it, as did most, the reason they disappeared I guess.
around 34 seconds is what ours looked like, just plastic tunnels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter