• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
France as a whole is averaging 10K cases a day but in many rural areas the infection rate is very low, there doesn't seem to be any push to increase restrictions as yet.

Ireland getting hit hard by the second wave, 334 new cases reported on September 22, with 170 of them in Dublin. People aged 15-34 years account for 40pc of Covid-19 cases in the past two months. Dublin is in a local lockdown, we are not supposed to leave the country and we have been told to reduce the number of people we are in contact with, but many are not. There was a big rave with a DJ and over 100 people in an apartment complex in Dublin city centre and towns in neighbouring counties had huge crowds of Dublin people in the bars and restaurants at the weekend.

People are not following the health advice and there is a growing minority of anti mask protests.

Well, for some positive news: Things are looking really good here in Melbourne! To move to the next stage of re-opening after this weekend we were told that our 14 day average had to be between 50 and 30 cases; today it is 29.4! As of tomorrow there will be no days of cases over 50 in that 14 day period (touch wood!).

The next stage of re-opening is still supposed to be very limited - outdoor gatherings of up to 5 from a maximum of 2 households and within 5km from home, daycare fully opened school for prep to grade 2 and year 11 and 12, some businesses re-opening (e.g. dog groomers) or less restricted (e.g. construction, manufacturing). However, it has been suggested today that we may get a bit more than that. We’ll have to wait and see on Sunday!

They said it was a special safe solution that would kill viruses but perfectly safe for people..... I refused to shop anywhere that required it, as did most, the reason they disappeared I guess.
around 34 seconds is what ours looked like, just plastic tunnels.
That doesn't even make sense! People carrying the virus could walk through but would still be pushing out more virus with every breath.

That doesn't even make sense! People carrying the virus could walk through but would still be pushing out more virus with every breath.
:scratchin One of the curious things that has evolved is information on how the virus seems to be transferring. Is contact from surfaces even still a thing? The “wash your hands and don’t touch your face” message has pretty much given way to masking and distancing. If what we glean now is correct, the virus is most dangerous as aerosolized particles in exhalation and may generally be airborne. It must be introduced into our own respiratory tracts and in a “load” sufficient to survive and multiply.

And reading through this thread, it seems the universal message is now that gathering closely while unmasked is the major threat and young people socializing are taking all the heat. From what I’ve seen/heard/read lately there is no talk of transmission from casual contact like going to WDW, travelling in airplanes, daily shopping, working in an office or whatever. It seems counter-intuitive but the up-side, I guess is that there seems to be no real benefit to be achieved by locking-down with large-scale disruption to the economies again.

One very interesting thing that happened in Ontario is that every single restaurant we ate at took our contact information before seating us. That is not taking place in Alberta.

Apparently the problem that tracing has presented is that some users are ignoring the alerts... sigh.

Apparently the problem that tracing has presented is that some users are ignoring the alerts... sigh.
I’m not sure what you mean. Are you talking about a tracing app? I was mentioning the good, old-fashioned method of taking names and phone numbers. I presume if a case has been identified in those establishments somebody will call/text and let us know.

:eek: They sprayed you with chlorine bleach?!? How is that even possible? It is extremely caustic. No way you could do that without sustaining injuries, let alone having your clothes ruined. That's the second craziest Covid thing I've heard, right after drinking fish-tank cleaner.

My reaction to reporting from China in the onset of Covid19 was the spraying of everything, I said to my husband that people will have to walk, sit, touch surfaces that are being sprayed with WHAT!

I’m not sure what you mean. Are you talking about a tracing app? I was mentioning the good, old-fashioned method of taking names and phone numbers. I presume if a case has been identified in those establishments somebody will call/text and let us know.

My mistake yes Tracing Apps.

One would hope the establishment would, but with Quebec handing out 1,500ish fines for infractions in a single day after surprise inspection visits following an announcement by their Premier about the alarming number increases... well I'm not sure.

Last edited:
My reaction to reporting from China in the onset of Covid19 was the spraying of everything, I said to my husband that people will have to walk, sit, touch surfaces that are being sprayed with WHAT!
I was at a local Real Canadian SuperStore the other day and was shocked to find they no longer have personnel at the entry disinfecting carts - just a DIY spray bottle of diluted chlorine bleach (as per the warning label) and a roll of paper towel. :mad: I should have walked away but I stupidly tried to clean up my cart and ended up with a blister on one palm to show for it.

I was at a local Real Canadian SuperStore the other day and was shocked to find they no longer have personnel at the entry disinfecting carts - just a DIY spray bottle of diluted chlorine bleach (as per the warning label) and a roll of paper towel. :mad: I should have walked away but I stupidly tried to clean up my cart and ended up with a blister on one palm to show for it.

Yes things relaxed here for a few weeks too. It seems now that a revisit to safer practices has returned. Our local newspaper (we are only 35,000ish in population) is reporting vigilante bully like behaviour towards non mask wearers.

:scratchin One of the curious things that has evolved is information on how the virus seems to be transferring. Is contact from surfaces even still a thing? The “wash your hands and don’t touch your face” message has pretty much given way to masking and distancing. If what we glean now is correct, the virus is most dangerous as aerosolized particles in exhalation and may generally be airborne. It must be introduced into our own respiratory tracts and in a “load” sufficient to survive and multiply.

And reading through this thread, it seems the universal message is now that gathering closely while unmasked is the major threat and young people socializing are taking all the heat. From what I’ve seen/heard/read lately there is no talk of transmission from casual contact like going to WDW, travelling in airplanes, daily shopping, working in an office or whatever. It seems counter-intuitive but the up-side, I guess is that there seems to be no real benefit to be achieved by locking-down with large-scale disruption to the economies again.

Pretty much this but the news doesn’t want to address the positive and real risk.

Bottom line dense living with a lot of people close together all the time which tends to be found in low income areas. Also large home parties.

Places in my area are starting to realize it and ditch things. Our Walmart removed mask requirement and one way aisles
And expanded hours , publix switched their sign to only recommended. Many places never have and still don’t and haven’t had problems (youth activities, day cares , churches and such)

We need to also stop blaming younger people who we all assume are partying. True many are It’s also the older crowds right now spreading. By us the main driver are “family celebrations”. It could be a wedding, funeral, baptism, confirmation, communion, 50th 60th or 70th birthday party you name it - families are getting together in large numbers and spreading. I have also noticed there are so many at once going on as people are making up for postponed events that were to take place in the spring or early summer

My neighbor just had her 50th birthday party and invited 30 close family and friends to a dinner at a restaurant. . By us we are allowed to have private parties indoors at restaurants I believe up to 50 or 100? Not sure anyways, you’re seeing groups in these numbers sitting indoors with no masks and no distancing for hours. What do people do when they get together like this? They talk and talk and talk aerosols are spreading like crazy.

My mom was also invited to a birthday party two weeks ago and had canceled. One person implied she’s a hypocrite because she still wants to go to Disney. She then explained there’s a big difference between sitting in a small room with 40 other people for hours and walking with a mask on in an outdoor park.

Pretty much this but the news doesn’t want to address the positive and real risk.

Bottom line dense living with a lot of people close together all the time which tends to be found in low income areas. Also large home parties.

Places in my area are starting to realize it and ditch things. Our Walmart removed mask requirement and one way aisles
And expanded hours , publix switched their sign to only recommended. Many places never have and still don’t and haven’t had problems (youth activities, day cares , churches and such)
I do agree that the biggest spread is dense living and home parties. I don't agree that we should ditch masks cause it's what's keeping cases low in public areas.

Where do you live? Mask mandate lifted?

Here in the US mask wearing vs not has fallen along political party lines (not with everyone but with many).
Maybe because it’s an election year??
For those in other parts of the world is mask wearing divided by political views?

Here in the US mask wearing vs not has fallen along political party lines.
Maybe because it’s an election year??
For those in other parts of the world is mask wearing divided by political views?

In Ireland , its not really our Irish politics that influencing the anti mask people. The main group of Irish anti mask people base many of their views on what they hear from American anti mask protests and election campaigns.

Those that don't align their political views with American anti mask people, simply just don't wear masks for various reasons, including just stubbornness, and thinking the rules don't apply to them or saying they are exempt due to health reasons.

Today they are reporting on our National News that it took just 2 weeks of undoing to put us back to May's numbers after 2 months of diligence to achieve Stage 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter