Craft beer drinkers unite

Any of you beer snobs thought the mug was a value or did you stick to the occasional draft, the bottles and mixed drinks?

The mug’s value becomes better the more cruises you take and use it on. Eventually, you will break even and get extra ounces for free! Admittedly, for me, that was probably my first cruise when I bought it! LOL!

The mug’s value becomes better the more cruises you take and use it on. Eventually, you will break even and get extra ounces for free! Admittedly, for me, that was probably my first cruise when I bought it! LOL!
I've used it on 6 cruises now. I think it's a good value and there is a decent enough variety of beer that I get my money's worth of beer that I like. I don't bring the mug home though, just the card. It's too heavy! I think I have one to keep. I have somehow ended up with extra cards over the years.

I've used it on 6 cruises now. I think it's a good value and there is a decent enough variety of beer that I get my money's worth of beer that I like. I don't bring the mug home though, just the card. It's too heavy! I think I have one to keep. I have somehow ended up with extra cards over the years.

Yeah, sometimes the bartender and I get to talking and they will hand me a beer and the card back... I have 2 extras and a glass mug now! LOL!

I don't want to yuck somebody else's yum here, but I'm having real difficulty deciding if I'm going to do the mug or not. Going with my wife and kid and I'm not going to get blotto or anything, though I like a beer or two (or three), but this selection ain't wowing me. Would kill for a Boulevard handle after how happy I was to see Tank 7 at WDW, but no chance on that so....

Any of you beer snobs thought the mug was a value or did you stick to the occasional draft, the bottles and mixed drinks?

As I recall I think you have to have somewhere from 5 to 7 beers during the cruise for it to pay for itself. There will be some that'll knock that out on the first day of the cruise.

Much like a few others here, I bought the mug on our first cruise and have used it on subsequent cruises. I have found enough decent beers to make it worthwhile ( Newcastle, Loose Cannon, ect.) The additional ounces make it worth it for me. I did bring it home each time and like to use it at home every now and then for a beer. Fun to have a useable reminder of the good times on the cruise.

Going on Cruise August 19 -23 2019. I enjoy IPA's. Does anyone know what IPA's are on the Disney Dream?

19 -23 2019. I enjoy

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon will probably be your best bet on draft. The last two cruises (Fantasy and then Dream), they had it on tap in the sports bar (Pub 687) and at the bar next to the ice cream station. Pub 687 also has their own beer, 687, which is an American IPA. It wasn't bad, but I liked Loose Cannon better. That pub will have the most beers on tap. Last two times they've had those two, the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, Sam Adams Lager, an Angry Orchard Cider, Stella, and 2 others I can't recall.

They do switch this up, but our August 2018 cruise on the Fantasy and the April 2019 cruise on the Dream both had the same offerings on draft.

As for bottles, they have a ton of other options. I had a few Bells Two-Hearted Ale on the Fantasy. Keep in mind you can order any drink (including draft beers) at dinner. It just may take a awhile to get it from the pub to your table. You can also walk into the dinner with your drink of choice.

Headed on the Fantasy this Saturday - Do they have any decent beers at rotational dining or do you have to go to the bars? I was checking out the rotational dining menus and they seem to have only a Angry Orchards Cider and a Chimay listed on the beer section. Yikes!

Headed on the Fantasy this Saturday - Do they have any decent beers at rotational dining or do you have to go to the bars? I was checking out the rotational dining menus and they seem to have only a Angry Orchards Cider and a Chimay listed on the beer section. Yikes!
You can always grab a beer from the bar on your way to dinner and get what you want. I don't bother asking for drinks from the dining staff - we fill our beer mugs before and bring it with rather than waiting for them to have to go to a bar and get it.

We are heading out on the fantasy on December 7. Crossing my fingers that they have something new. I will report back.

Draught beer selection on the Magic:

Stella
Heineken
Frassikaner
Ayinger Doppelbach ( I think)
Murphy’s Stout
Mahou Lager ( Spain)

These were at Signals, O’Gills and Fathoms. A very limited brew selection sorry to say. We did discover Ichnusa on land in Italy….a VERY tasty unfiltered pale ale.

Has anyone seen the beer selections on the Wish? I had seen photos of some of the taps and menus but didn't save them. If I can find them again I'll post them. Looks like the refillable mug might be different too. I think the beer selection looked pretty decent.

Not meaning to hijack, but....I'm a massive Kona fan (Fire Rock IPA is my fave). Has anyone visited their brewery in Kona? Just booked us on a Hawaii cruise for 2017 (tacking on an Aulani stay at the end!) and Kona is one of the ports. Hoping to make it one of my stops that day. Maybe I'll post this over on the Aulani board too.

Yes, I recommend a stop at the Kona Brewery in Kona. There are multiple locations across the islands including Oahu.

For a preview of the Kona location, watch Deadliest Catch in Hawaii. One of the Alaskan crabbers have an off-season contract to supply Kona Brew with local fish.

-Paul

Yes, I recommend a stop at the Kona Brewery in Kona. There are multiple locations across the islands including Oahu.

For a preview of the Kona location, watch Deadliest Catch in Hawaii. One of the Alaskan crabbers have an off-season contract to supply Kona Brew with local fish.

-Paul
Not sue how you found that old post! But so funny, because we did indeed hit the brewery in Kona AND stumbled upon the Koko Marina location too! That was five years ago, our “once in a lifetime” trip…..and we’ve just got back from Maui three weeks ago! 😝 Didn’t find any local beer I liked as much as Kona Brew though. But it’s not keeping me from already dreaming about another trip!!

Not sue how you found that old post! But so funny, because we did indeed hit the brewery in Kona AND stumbled upon the Koko Marina location too! That was five years ago, our “once in a lifetime” trip…..and we’ve just got back from Maui three weeks ago! 😝 Didn’t find any local beer I liked as much as Kona Brew though. But it’s not keeping me from already dreaming about another trip!!
maui brewing although it expanded a lot is a great choice on the islands.

maui brewing although it expanded a lot is a great choice on the islands.
Tried a flight but didn’t live any enough to have another. The coconut porter was interesting but way to heavy to drink outside in the heat, for me anyway, or even with food. We also weren’t as impressed with their food as lots of folks seem to be, but Maui will spoil you like that LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter