DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Morning all. Still dreadfully cold here. For those not on FB, this came in the mail yesterday.

20191211_102508.jpg

20191211_102547.jpg

It's heavy, doesn't hold much, and is awkward to drink out of. But, it's hilarious. Need to go shopping for some eggnog for it.

Maybe ask for the specific feedback? Make them squirm a bit? Make a bit of noise. I got 2 pay rises out of not getting jobs.

I've thought about it. I could mess with some folks. At this point, I'm just done with it. Early retirement is this September. For health insurance purposes, I planned to stay thru December. It still sucks, but my original plan remains intact.

Morning all.
This is a test of the Employer DisBoard Blocking system.
Let's see if I can get away with this...

What did you post to get away with?

Here's a question for the group - how old were you when you bought your first house? And did you actually put 20% down, or less? I'm 27 right now and looking at renting for at least a few more years and trying to get an idea of what's realistic

Here's a question for the group - how old were you when you bought your first house? And did you actually put 20% down, or less? I'm 27 right now and looking at renting for at least a few more years and trying to get an idea of what's realistic

I was about 35 when we purchased our house with 5% down.

25 with 20%, but we've moved twice since then.

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to know what others have done. I'm worrying about this years ahead of time which is typical for me. Right now my only real goal is to pay off a 401k loan I had to take out for some medical debt this year

26 and 5%. It was before the subprime collapse. We initially did a 30 year loan. Later, I found Dave Ramsey, re-financed, and put our household finances on track. In the end, our home will be paid off in 20 years.

Our house would be meager by some, but it's plenty for my family of 4. We have a 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage house in 1500 square feet. We got a good deal as we built in a new subdivision when there were only 10 houses, and the developer sold to another developer.

Test Number two…

Congrats Rob. Maybe we can arrange to email you the important discussions that happen each and every day.
Heck, I’ll take that job.
It would practically do itself…

At least someone was trying to keep him on a short leash on that topic…

There are a few individuals that could us some kind of brain capo to restrict the things they say without thinking first (but that’s just wishful thinking).

What did you post to get away with?
Anything at all.
Yesterday the entire site was unaccessible
Today though, so far – so good.

Just shy of turning 25. I put down 10% on a small 2/1 condo (I had relatives who’s Living rooms were larger than the whole place).

Of course it’s also true that the world was a different place in the early 80s compared to housing markets now-a-days.

Test Number two…

Anything at all.
Yesterday the entire site was unaccessible
Today though, so far – so good.

Got it. I wasn't thinking of the overlords. I was thinking of Dis Mods and the thread that shall not be named.

Yeah, I'm a little scared to buy a house right now. Even though this would be two years away. I'm worried I won't be able to afford it 'enough'

It's a big decision. Dave Ramsey said that the mortgage shouldn't be more than a 1/4 of your take home pay. He also said 20% down.

I had a friend who bought cheaper, older homes, renovated them, and sold them. It wasn't a flip like thing. He and his wife and later kids moved in, lived in two or three rooms while he worked on the others. He had another job, so it took awhile. Then, they sold and moved into a bigger home and continued it thru several moves. I don't have the ability, and I certainly wouldn't have the patience.

The challenge is knowing where you're going to be for 20 years. I wish I could have convinced DW to move to Florida, but she wasn't leaving here as long as her parents are alive. Good luck.

Hey guys, just checking in. I missed quite a bit. I've been busy avoiding axes at work.
I was hoping to do a longer post sometime. I've had a rough couple months on the job front to be honest but it's been a sh!t storm around here so I'll have to keep it brief.
Short story is that my company is not doing well and in an effort to get into the black before year end the axes have come out in force.
I had to lay off three of my staff last Friday and I really haven't been sure about myself for a while.
I finally received an offer letter last Friday to move into a different position. So at least I will be OK for a while longer.
I hope to have more time later to fill you guys in more.

Took the day off and enjoyed my Basil Hayden bourbon in my Griswold vacation moose mug tonight. I went to the store and saw that eggnog has 21 carbs per serving. Anyone have a keto friendly eggnog recipe?

Hey guys, just checking in. I missed quite a bit. I've been busy avoiding axes at work.
I was hoping to do a longer post sometime. I've had a rough couple months on the job front to be honest but it's been a sh!t storm around here so I'll have to keep it brief.
Short story is that my company is not doing well and in an effort to get into the black before year end the axes have come out in force.
I had to lay off three of my staff last Friday and I really haven't been sure about myself for a while.
I finally received an offer letter last Friday to move into a different position. So at least I will be OK for a while longer.

That's scary for you and sad for those employees, especially at Christmas time. Glad to hear you made it thru.

I was 37 and I believe it was 5% down. But this is when financing was a lot easier too, so I don't know how strict lenders are being these days.

Yeah, I'm a little scared to buy a house right now. Even though this would be two years away. I'm worried I won't be able to afford it 'enough'

I wouldn't worry about affording "enough" house. People usually overestimate how much house they need. Small homes can be just fine.

My house is only 1,114 sq. ft. with a 1-car garage, two bed, one bath, and it's perfectly fine for my wife, son, and I. My wife would prefer a larger home, primarily for more storage. But if we just got rid of the things we never use (like the stuff that's been in the garage for 6 years, never touched), we'd have more than enough room.

When we got married, my wife's condo was 1560 sq ft, 3 bed, 2 1/4 bath, 2 car garage. She really wanted to stay in her place. It was a 2 minute drive for her work but 45-70 minute one-way commute for me to get to work. We had a constant back-and-forth with my wife arguing that we needed more house and should keep hers. I replied that the commute to her place, compared to my place, would be equal to 30 days over the course of a year. She was very sad to sell her condo, and it made our marriage really difficult.

Then life happened. My wife got laid off. When it came to school for our son, my wife really wanted our son to be in a Catholic school. The best one in about 100 miles is a 5 minute drive from my house. It would have been a good 30 minutes out of my way had we stayed at her house. And 90% of the kids from the school live within a 10 minute drive of the school. When my wife is sick, because we live at my house, I can come home and pick up our son from school and get back to work within an hour. Living at my wife's place would have required a half-day off work burning leave.

Get a house if it makes financial sense and buy what you can afford. Don't worry to much about too much or too little house, because life doesn't work that way! 😂

Glad you are OK Jeff, sucks for your employees though. Tough time to be in the oil game.

Morning guys from a grey London. Xmas party last night, so a bit of a sore head. It would have been worse but after 10PM last night wasn't really in the mood to get into the party spirit. Hopefully my worst fears won't be realised.

Ponzie, enjoy your days off buddy. Here's hoping you don't get a call.

Hey Jeff, that sounds awful, having to do the deed this close to Xmas. All the best from us mate, and like the guys said, glad you missed the axe, my friend.
I'm worried I won't be able to afford it 'enough'
We stretched ourselves a bit for the house we live in now. What we did was for 6 months take out the new mortgage sum from the accounts into a holding account to see if we could manage on the money that was left, so it's kind of a risk free trial.
Dave Ramsey said that the mortgage shouldn't be more than a 1/4 of your take home pay. He also said 20% down.
That is good advice. One other is try and have 6 months of mortgage as savings.

praying

Hey, guys! Miss anything? I've taken a short hiatus from the internet this week, but I'm back. Had a great weekend last weekend. My wife took my DD to a birthday party on Saturday while my VFW's honor guard marched in a local Christmas parade. Sunday it was my turn to take the DD to a birthday party, this time at the ice skating rink. I grew up in New Mexico and didn't have any access to ice skates, however, I've been on the ice about 3-4 times since last year and did pretty good. My DD? She did pretty good as well. Tomorrow happens to be my DD's 7th birthday, so lots of planned activities for her. This week at work has been slow, so been busy with busy work, work that needs to get done, but busy work. Still looking for a permanent job, but a friend of mine gave me some good tips on cover letter writing. Well, hope all is well, have to get the day started.

Morning all. Still dreadfully cold here. For those not on FB, this came in the mail yesterday.

View attachment 458285

View attachment 458286

This looks cool.

I got lucky, my wife inherited our house from her grandmother, so I haven't bought a house yet. I have, however, doubled the size of our house over the years. We put on a 450 sq. ft family room, on the same footing as the back deck we use to have. My father-in-law and I did all the framing ourselves as well as the electrical work. We did contract out a few things that made sense: Digging and pouring of the foundation, insulation work. We've also added a whole second floor (we paid someone to do that), so essentially doubling the size of the house. Does that count?

Man, that sucks, guy. I'll say a prayer for you.

The rule I've always heard is 3 months of living expenses ...mortgage, utilities, gas, food, medical, everything

I feel 6 months of everything is best, but 6 months of mortgage helps a lot since that's the biggest expense

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter