Disney Resorts will start charging for parking?

You're reading far further into it than I am.

I don't know the places you go, but the places I've been don't have free parking the further out you go. Want to park at the stadium complex in Philly? You're gonna pay...a lot. And they have PLENTY of space. Same with Six Flags. Same with stadiums here in Atlanta. Countless hotels charge for parking...regardless of if you stay overnight or not. I've been to them in Dallas, Orlando and Temecula CA just this year alone. Park at any airport, which has tons of space, and you're going to pay for parking, no matter how far away you are. I don't know any major airport with free parking. Do you?

I have no idea why they allow day guests in free, and charge overnight guests.

Just because WDW has lots of land, you're not owed free parking. The cost has been "baked in" in your opinion, not necessarily in fact. WDW made the decision to allow their guests free parking, we don't know the finances behind it. But just like nearly everyone else, they've now gone to paid parking.

Like I said, it's a bummer they're charging now. But I just will never understand...or agree with...the outrage over it. If others are past their breaking point of "nickels and dimes", that's their choice. My suspicion is that it won't hurt WDW attendance at all.

I understand parking charges, and I agree it's their piece of property to do with as they please. That doesn't mean I have to like it or can't tell them my opinion about it.

Where I've been, the farther from the stadium you go, the cheaper the spots are. I'm not talking about in the stadium lots themselves. I mean the ones that take advantage of their proximity to the stadium. So, sure, you could consider WDW a lot in itself, but even they are charging less at mods and values. But this part is getting off topic.

I never said I was "owed" anything. It's baked-in in the sense that it's resort overhead. They have to pay for construction and maintenance. It's really no different than changing light bulbs or replacing leaky faucets. It's overhead they've been paying through other means. And their rates don't scream "scraping by."

And tons more hotels don't charge for parking. It's not even close to "nearly everyone else." But that's the industry as a whole. Many places near a point of interest charge so their spots aren't filled by people avoiding fees elsewhere. And those fees usually start because space is limited. Some have cited this issue at Disney resorts closest to parks, but this change doesn't even address that.

Disney isn't running an airport or that might be an apt comparison.

It may not hurt attendance, but it's going to hurt my attendance, and I know I'm not the only one. Plenty of people are being priced out. I'm glad you're OK paying another $100+ so they can "align their properties" and nothing else. Most would think that's a bum deal at least.

If you can't understand that, I'm not sure why you're bothering to read a thread that is specifically about that. I don't mean that in a rude sense. I just don't know what you're expecting here.

It is a cash grab by Disney. DH and I said that if we do stay onsite and rent a car that we will be eating offsite enough to more than offset the cost of the parking. That will be $100-$200 less that Disney will be getting from us. We can always go offsite for a couple of dinners that will be cheaper as well as spend less on souvenirs for the grandkids. We are determined to make up the cost somewhere instead of adding to the cost of the trip.

Honestly, you have to hit them harder than they are hitting you to actually make a difference. They are adding this fee to something that is giving you zero return. It is nearly 100% profit over the current system outside of the minimal overhead to administer the fees.

I think they'll get away with this because a new Disney customer is born every minute. Most first timers are not informed and think they need to stay on site and this is just something you have to do to stay on site.

After our first trip we became informed, found this board, and started economizing with off site stays. But I think most first timers go to AAA/another travel agent book a package and just go.

There will always be new people to take the place of disgruntled people so until there is a downturn in the economy, I don't see this hurting Disney by "some" people dropping out.

It may not hurt attendance, but it's going to hurt my attendance, and I know I'm not the only one. Plenty of people are being priced out. I'm glad you're OK paying another $100+ so they can "align their properties" and nothing else. Most would think that's a bum deal at least.

If you can't understand that, I'm not sure why you're bothering to read a thread that is specifically about that. I don't mean that in a rude sense. I just don't know what you're expecting here.

Not expecting anything. Reading the thread simply because I have an opinion on the topic, it just doesn't happen to be the same one.

I've mentioned it in a few of the other threads about this...I don't stay on site anyway. Never have, never will. It would be a deal breaker to have to stay on site for us. So I don't have any skin in the game. And as I said, I agree it's a bummer. I wouldn't be happy about it, I simply understand that it's the way of the entertainment venue parking business world and would just be glad that it took WDW until now to join the rest of the flock that already does it.

Not expecting anything. Reading the thread simply because I have an opinion on the topic, it just doesn't happen to be the same one.

I've mentioned it in a few of the other threads about this...I don't stay on site anyway. Never have, never will. It would be a deal breaker to have to stay on site for us. So I don't have any skin in the game. And as I said, I agree it's a bummer. I wouldn't be happy about it, I simply understand that it's the way of the entertainment venue parking business world and would just be glad that it took WDW until now to join the rest of the flock that already does it.
I’m actually amazed it took them this long to be honest...

I imagine we have similar feelings on the matter. You just take a more "it is what it is" approach. That's where I was, too. But this one just hit me harder.

It's really hard for me to ignore or get around it. Now, you have to pay for parking one way or another (which is a pet peeve of mine when space isn't an issue), and it's not like they held off on fee increases before this hit.

It's just struck a nerve. All in all though, we're still batting for the same team. :)

When do you pay for parking? At the guard gate to get your car in or out? At the check-in desk? Do they know I have a car because I scanned my magic band at the gate? What are the logistics of this?

I just booked offsite. 519 total for 4 nights at Bonnet Creek. Includes a full kitchen, laundry, etc. Annual pass holder so I don't have to pay for parking at the parks. I will miss Disney's hotel themes and transportation system but the savings is something I just can't pass on.

Exactly. More room and ammenities for less cost.

When do you pay for parking? At the guard gate to get your car in or out? At the check-in desk? Do they know I have a car because I scanned my magic band at the gate? What are the logistics of this?
From what I understand, onsite guests who arrive by car have their MB scanned at the gate on the first day. A charge equal to your length of stay is added to your resort bill. You will be automatically charged the daily fee each night of your stay with the total being part of your bill at check out. No money is collected at the gates right now, which is why offsite guest get to park for free. There's no way to get the money from them.

From what I understand, onsite guests who arrive by car have their MB scanned at the gate on the first day. A charge equal to your length of stay is added to your resort bill. You will be automatically charged the daily fee each night of your stay with the total being part of your bill at check out. No money is collected at the gates right now, which is why offsite guest get to park for free. There's no way to get the money from them.

Thanks!

This makes me think of a different question. When I arrive for check-in, do I need to go to the guard gate or can I go through the returning gate area since I will already have my magicband?

This makes me think of a different question. When I arrive for check-in, do I need to go to the guard gate or can I go through the returning gate area since I will already have my magicband?
It's been my experience that even before they started charging for overnight parking, you had to go to the guard shack upon arrival. Once your MB has been used to open the door to your room, you will be able to enter thru the returning guests gate.

I think that at some point Disney will want to charge day guest for parking as well, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Anyone else agree or think different?

I think that at some point Disney will want to charge day guest for parking as well, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Anyone else agree or think different?
I agree I just don't think they have gotten that far yet.

I've read thru this thread and skimmed another on the subject and haven't found an answer to this: If I'm staying at a resort and paying a parking fee there, do I pay an additional fee at the park as well, or does theme park parking continue to be a perk of staying onsite?

I've read thru this thread and skimmed another on the subject and haven't found an answer to this: If I'm staying at a resort and paying a parking fee there, do I pay an additional fee at the park as well, or does theme park parking continue to be a perk of staying onsite?
Parking at the theme parks is free for onsite guests.

I wish I could say this surprises me. But it doesn't. We are booked to go back next December. Offsite. My line in the sand was the privacy issues stemming from their new security guidelines. This only solidifies my opinion that we made the right choice. Even with paying for parking daily at the parks, we're getting a lot more bang for our buck. Especially when they start removing the 'perks' of staying on site. I will probably never stay in the park again. They might be padding their bottom line, but are they shooting themselves in the foot in the long term? It shouldn't take long for them to price themselves right out of a majority of family's budgets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter