Disney Riviera Resort

The reason...in case you're wondering...why 8 floors is to just see over the tops of the pavilions and into the lagoon while trying to obscure the ugly service areas that ring the showcase...

So anyone expecting California grille 2 is gonna be in for a letdown.

It appears the design is going to be "fireworks view"...not so much "park view"...which should be cool until they eliminate the fireworks In a cost saving measure :wizard:

Don't know the "original" source but here was the response from @rteetz in this very thread:

The comments you quoted were a reference to the gondola station which, in fact, is not a rectangle as depicted in the rough sketch. The design and positioning of the building itself was taken directly from Disney's own permit renderings.

The comments you quoted were a reference to the gondola station which, in fact, is not a rectangle as depicted in the rough sketch. The design and positioning of the building itself was taken directly from Disney's own permit renderings.
May have misinterpreted -- I'm sure @rteetz can clear it up.

To be fair, here's the view of the fireworks from CBR before construction. I wouldn't necessarily call these spectacular views worth a premium.

I guess that depends on one's perspective. At hotels around the Seven Seas Lagoon, guests have been paying a premium for years for views that are partially obscured by the train station, space mountain, trees...including that island in the middle of SSL near the Poly.

You're entitled to your skepticism. Personally I RARELY pay extra for "views" myself. But clearly there are many others who disagree.

That layout is most definitely wrong...by the way...

How do I know? Because half the rooms would face bonnet creek and the other would face 536/okw.

Hard to charge more points for those...

I guess that depends on one's perspective. At hotels around the Seven Seas Lagoon, guests have been paying a premium for years for views that are partially obscured by the train station, space mountain, trees...including that island in the middle of SSL near the Poly.

You're entitled to your skepticism. Personally I RARELY pay extra for "views" myself. But clearly there are many others who disagree.

The silliest expense in all of the expensive wdw is for a view...unless you are one and done, its literally being extorted for glass.

The silliest expense in all of the expensive wdw is for a view...unless you are one and done, its literally being extorted for glass.
This is a silly statement.

ALL of these things are subjective. They wouldn't charge more for it if people didn't think it was worth paying for.

We LOVE OUR MK VIEW -- worth its weight in gold TO US.

It's ok that not everyone agrees with you, you know. :)

ALL of these things are subjective. They wouldn't charge more for it if people didn't think it was worth paying for.

You kinda made my point...that is a 100% emotional answer... not anything close to a valuation of goods and services...which is really all a hotel is...

You have your way...I have mine. Agree to disagree.

It's ok that not everyone agrees with you, you know. :)

I agree that an MK TP view is pretty valuable.

The silly view upgrades, to me, are the "garden" and "pool views" at the other resorts.

Might one day add the "backside of EPCOT" view to that list........

You kinda made my point...that is a 100% emotional answer... not anything close to a valuation of goods and services...which is really all a hotel is...

You have your way...I have mine. Agree to disagree.
But goodness -- valuation of goods ABSOLUTELY includes intangibles like customers simply liking it enough to pay. How else would you value it??

The key is that it is something people are willing to pay for -- I.e. IT HAS VALUE. This is just a business reality -- not a matter of opinion.

Correct. The DVC building shape is fine in those images.

I went to Copper Creek this weekend. I paid $300 with tax to stay in a deluxe studio. If they make Riviera ANYTHING like Copper Creek, I'm hooked. Copper Creek was amazing and I ALWAYS, ALWAYS whine and complain about Disney hotel prices, but man, while I'm mad at myself for paying $300, I have no regrets.

I know what you mean. That new pool area is such an improvement and we visited the new rooms at Grand Opening and strolled along the new cabins.

We have been going to G Point on MK days for drinks and dinner, our new favorite lounge. This winter was even more amazing with the fire pit etc-a bit too hot in the summer to be open air, except early breakfast and late evenings.

Hoping to stay on points-very good deal that way. Not our fave location to stay (just visit) though, so won't happen often.

I know what you mean. That new pool area is such an improvement and we visited the new rooms at Grand Opening and strolled along the new cabins.

We have been going to G Point on MK days for drinks and dinner, our new favorite lounge. This winter was even more amazing with the fire pit etc-a bit too hot in the summer to be open air, except early breakfast and late evenings.

Hoping to stay on points-very good deal that way. Not our fave location to stay (just visit) though, so won't happen often.

Copper Creek must be doing alright, I'm seeing it get rather spotty now at the 7 month window. I know they only probably have a handful of studios available, but the demand seems to be there. I'm gonna have a tough choice when my 7 months comes up. June is a lot more open so analysis paralysis can more easily set in.

I gotta ask again...other that the rooms and the restaurant...what changed at wilderness lodge?

...yes, their is a point to that question

*there

Sometimes little changes make a huge impact. Imo, the changes they made at Wilderness Lodge changed the atmosphere completely. We were sitting outside on one of our two balconies when I could hear the train whistle from MK across the lake. Could you have always done that? Probably. But as I was sitting in this Northwestern themed resort I was immersed in that theme. I really felt like I was in the mountains (I was also 4 floors up so I could see over the trees) as I overlooked the lagoon, and the geyser, and the waterfall. I am so glad they kept the waterfall that originates in the lobby and falls into the pool. But then you walk along the new paths by the cabins and they blend so beautifully into the landscape that they feel as if they were always there. While they are exclusive, they're not like they are at the Poly where they're pretty separated from the rest of the resort. The cabins are part of the landscape and they're so well done. It got rid of an oversized pointless beach area imo as lakes were never really "known" for their beaches. The rooms don't feel cheap and tacky, they feel upscale and appropriate to the resort. The restaurant they added not only has an outstanding menu, but fits the feel of the resort perfectly. So much so, that it doesn't break the theme and continues to immerse you. I never found anything special about WL before, but now it's one of my faves, right up there with VGF and I own at VGF. In fact, I would TRADE someone my Poly contract for their Copper Creek contract.

One thing I have to point out again is customs house will have to go...

Why on earth would you keep a detached checkin on the OTHER side from a dvc? Unless they plan on using it for dvc...which that would be fun...

Worst idea for a checkin in disney history.
What if they use it as an external bus area for the Riviera or retheme it in a way that it adds amenities for the Riviera, say a fitness center and/or Community Hall? Other than being in the DME outside, I have no idea what the building has inside/what it looks like, so I'm spitballing here.

What if they use it as an external bus area for the Riviera or retheme it in a way that it adds amenities for the Riviera, say a fitness center and/or Community Hall? Other than being in the DME outside, I have no idea what the building has inside/what it looks like, so I'm spitballing here.

It's be desk, the bell stand, and the management offices.

It was a bad prototype design that was never again duplicated

*there

Sometimes little changes make a huge impact. Imo, the changes they made at Wilderness Lodge changed the atmosphere completely. We were sitting outside on one of our two balconies when I could hear the train whistle from MK across the lake. Could you have always done that? Probably. But as I was sitting in this Northwestern themed resort I was immersed in that theme. I really felt like I was in the mountains (I was also 4 floors up so I could see over the trees) as I overlooked the lagoon, and the geyser, and the waterfall. I am so glad they kept the waterfall that originates in the lobby and falls into the pool. But then you walk along the new paths by the cabins and they blend so beautifully into the landscape that they feel as if they were always there. While they are exclusive, they're not like they are at the Poly where they're pretty separated from the rest of the resort. The cabins are part of the landscape and they're so well done. It got rid of an oversized pointless beach area imo as lakes were never really "known" for their beaches. The rooms don't feel cheap and tacky, they feel upscale and appropriate to the resort. The restaurant they added not only has an outstanding menu, but fits the feel of the resort perfectly. So much so, that it doesn't break the theme and continues to immerse you. I never found anything special about WL before, but now it's one of my faves, right up there with VGF and I own at VGF. In fact, I would TRADE someone my Poly contract for their Copper Creek contract.

My point...as it relates to this discussion...

...Is that you had an existing nicer hotel to use. Caribbean doesn't.

You love it now? How about we take away the lobby, the courtyard, the boat dock, whispering canyon, artists point, and the lounge.

Caribbean has none of that...some beaches you can't use and newish pool area...that's why it doesn't equate.

My point...as it relates to this discussion...

...Is that you had an existing nicer hotel to use. Caribbean doesn't.

You love it now? How about we take away the lobby, the courtyard, the boat dock, whispering canyon, artists point, and the lounge.

Caribbean has none of that...some beaches you can't use and newish pool area...that's why it doesn't equate.

I think you think I disagree with you. I don't. However, I am saying and I have said that if they make DRR ANYTHING like Copper Creek, it will be a win. A la, an entire resort done like the Copper Creek expansion.

I think you think I disagree with you. I don't. However, I am saying and I have said that if they make DRR ANYTHING like Copper Creek, it will be a win. A la, an entire resort done like the Copper Creek expansion.

I don't necessary think you disagree...but what you said (paraphrased) was "if they do something like copper creek...I'm in!" About the new place? I might have gotten that wrong...

Assuming I'm not wrong...then what I'm saying is they CAN'T do something like that because they don't have the facilities in place already that they won't build and staff.

Wilderness has the facilities...you can't retheme a pool and add one of their weird mixed use restaurants if they didn't have the old facilities...it wouldn't work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter