Disney Store employee benefits

I'm not sure why they would care if you disclosed your benefits. The point of benefits is to attract employees...

Others have posted up to 50% discounts at resorts, a 'silver pass' for assistant managers that lets you and your dependents in free, other employees have posted a smaller amount of park passes I'm not sure of, I want to say it's something like 4 one day passes once or twice a year.

I'm not sure why they would care if you disclosed your benefits. The point of benefits is to attract employees...

Others have posted up to 50% discounts at resorts, a 'silver pass' for assistant managers that lets you and your dependents in free, other employees have posted a smaller amount of park passes I'm not sure of, I want to say it's something like 4 one day passes once or twice a year.

I think part of the reason that they don't want us to disclose our benefits is because it may attract the people for the wrong reasons. Working at the store is hard work - lots of fun, but still very hard work. If people want to get a job at the store just so they can get the benefits, they are applying for the wrong reasons.

TDS's in Chicago are gearing up for the holidays now.

I applied to two stores, wish me luck.

I think part of the reason that they don't want us to disclose our benefits is because it may attract the people for the wrong reasons. Working at the store is hard work - lots of fun, but still very hard work. If people want to get a job at the store just so they can get the benefits, they are applying for the wrong reasons.

I agree with you! I get angry when people apply only for the discounts. I have been at my store for 15 years. I saw so many CMs leave when we were sold because they lost their perks. That isn't why I work there, I love my job, cast and management team. I love helping guests plan their trips and buy special gifts. Now that we are once again owned by Disney I see former cast members trying to come back.

The worst thing you can do when applying for a job is ask what the discounts are up front. We work extremely hard, it is not all singing and playing. We clean up after sloppy guests, children left unatteneded and at times are talked to very rudely.

If you want a job at the Disney Store do it for your love of the product and not the discounts, they are just an added benefit. We are not allowed to discuss our discounts at all with guests. I think it is a good idea because once again it is the wrong reason for applying for a job there. I know our manager would be writing TNT on your application if you asked right away.

I agree with you! I get angry when people apply only for the discounts. I have been at my store for 15 years. I saw so many CMs leave when we were sold because they lost their perks. That isn't why I work there, I love my job, cast and management team. I love helping guests plan their trips and buy special gifts. Now that we are once again owned by Disney I see former cast members trying to come back.

The worst thing you can do when applying for a job is ask what the discounts are up front. We work extremely hard, it is not all singing and playing. We clean up after sloppy guests, children left unatteneded and at times are talked to very rudely.

If you want a job at the Disney Store do it for your love of the product and not the discounts, they are just an added benefit. We are not allowed to discuss our discounts at all with guests. I think it is a good idea because once again it is the wrong reason for applying for a job there. I know our manager would be writing TNT on your application if you asked right away.

You said it perfectly! :thumbsup2

We had so many CMs leave when we went to TCP and it was so hard. I stuck with it because I love the store and the people. I couldn't be happier that we are back with Disney now, but it didn't really matter when we weren't because we ALL still worked for Walt. :hug:

ha ha.. well anyone who is on this board 24/7, (like me) would definately be trying to work there for the love of all things Disney. I'm a stalker at my local store. I would think to ask here what the potential perks could be as to not specifically ask during an interview process.;) However, the part of any good interview is for both parties to know exactly what they are getting themselves involved in. The good, (work envoirnent.. benefits etc.. The bad.. and the ugly) It helps both parties to make a solid decision on the employment status and therefore hopefully reduces the job turnover rate. :goodvibes

ha ha.. well anyone who is on this board 24/7, (like me) would definately be trying to work there for the love of all things Disney.

That's why i applied. I've always loved Disney, I want to be a part of the magic. I went to drop off my aplication at one of the TDS with my DD. she was wearing her sparkle princess jeans, her princes t-shirt, and her Tinkerbell sandles. She loves the idea that i want to work with Mickey and Cinderella. Everything Disney is Cinderella. :laughing:

You said it perfectly! :thumbsup2

We had so many CMs leave when we went to TCP and it was so hard. I stuck with it because I love the store and the people. I couldn't be happier that we are back with Disney now, but it didn't really matter when we weren't because we ALL still worked for Walt. :hug:

I would like to offer a different view.

I already had a well paying full time job when I was in the TDS one day and cast member told me to apply for a job because I knew so much. I was told right from the beginining that they knew I was there for the discount and that was fine. I would have worked for free it they had let me! I only worked evening hours and it was amazing the way I felt. I spent 8+ hours a day at the IRS and then topped my evenings with working for Walt Disney. I was so proud. I worked hard and never seem to tire (it must have been the magic) Then the store was sold and it lost something for me. There were slight changes, but it was not the same. So after several months, I left.

While I was a cast member we made a trip to Orlando and I was bursting with pride to say I was a cast member too. We also purchased DVC at 70% of the cost at the time. My job gave me wonderful memories and lasting chance to go to Orlando each year...but I didn't get that with TCP.

When the annoucement came that the stores were back I went down to the mall to apply only to find that my store was closed. I would have gone back in a flash, I sorry that chance is lost.

For me it was the chance to be a cast member that meant everything. The products are great, heck my home is filled with them...but you can buy Disney products everywhere...magic only comes from Walt!

BTW before everyone flames me...I was in the store last December. I asked for large bag because it had Mickey on it and my grandson would not have known or cared who Giselle was. The employee (yes I mean employee because a cast member would have never done what she did) She hesitated and then said "ok, but only if you promise not shoplift anything since the bag is big enough for it" The entire line of customers stared at her in horror. No magic left in that store...sigh

Thank goodness for the website...I shop there often!

I understand that some here will apply for the love of Disney, however, it is a big turn off when the first thing someone wants to know is "What will I get out of it". I know our management cast will not discuss discounts on stage with anyone. This is a huge sign to them the only reason you are applying is the discounts. You will first fill out a future interest form, this just asks your availability and name, etc. If your availability matches what the store is looking for you will then be asked to come in for an interview and fill out a formal application. Seasonal cast members, what they are hiring right now, must have full weekend availability. This is all day Saturday and Sunday. You do not receive the same perks as a regular part-time cast member. You are only given a temporary ID. There is no vacation time allowed from Nov. 1-Dec. 31. The hours are different every week. You may be kept on after the holidays as a part-time CM. I hope all of you that want the job for the right reasons get it.

I understand that some here will apply for the love of Disney, however, it is a big turn off when the first thing someone wants to know is "What will I get out of it". I know our management cast will not discuss discounts on stage with anyone. This is a huge sign to them the only reason you are applying is the discounts. You will first fill out a future interest form, this just asks your availability and name, etc. If your availability matches what the store is looking for you will then be asked to come in for an interview and fill out a formal application. Seasonal cast members, what they are hiring right now, must have full weekend availability. This is all day Saturday and Sunday. You do not receive the same perks as a regular part-time cast member. You are only given a temporary ID. There is no vacation time allowed from Nov. 1-Dec. 31. The hours are different every week. You may be kept on after the holidays as a part-time CM. I hope all of you that want the job for the right reasons get it.

Your kidding, right? I'm sorry but when you say you hope people get the job if they want it for the right reasons?!? As long as they perform their job duties as they are supposed to it doesn't matter what reason they want the job. Sheesh! :confused3

I don't think it is bad to ask what benifits you are going to get. I worked at Walt Disney World for nine years (actually might be moving back to go back to work there). They sell their company on the cast member benifits of working there. Maybe WDW is different then the Disney Store on that aspect. You can go to the jobs website on disney.com and it list the benifits you could recieve, not all places have the same benifits but it will give you an idea.

Believe me.. I would want to know what my pay and benefits would be! :) I am a heath care provider and always wanted to work for the Disney company but live far, far away and don't have much of an interest in the entertainment/media end of things like the focus in NYC would be. If I was to take a job at the mall as a CM they would get a high level, neat clean, hard working, thoughtful worker doing entry level work as an experience of life/hobby. You better believe I would want to know what the company could offer me that would want me to work crazy hours, lift and carry thing and climb high ladders all while keeping the Disney smile on my face and treating their customers with the utmost respect!

Your kidding, right? I'm sorry but when you say you hope people get the job if they want it for the right reasons?!? As long as they perform their job duties as they are supposed to it doesn't matter what reason they want the job. Sheesh! :confused3

No, I am not kidding! Believe me, after 15 years I have seen it all. Seasonal cast members leaving when thy find out they aren't getting the WDW discounts, guests saying I'd love a job here so I can go to WDW cheap too, seasonals leaving because they didn't realize it was "hard" work, etc.

The new focus is "Magic", so if you want to come and help spread some while working your butt off for the holidays, the stores want you. If you are friendly with your local store cast inquire how many seasonals last the entire holiday season? It is not many. You get the excuses about shifts being all over the place, non-consistent in length and days, the work is too hard, etc.

I did not mean to offend anyone here. I was expressing my frustration over people wanting to know the perks. I would never ask another person what perks they get at their job. Like I said I love my job and have been there for 15 years. When I started I was also a teacher, since retirement it is my fun job. I have been a member of management, but I love just being a cast member. I go to work, have some fun and work hard.

Once again I am sorry if I angered anyone of you. I am just passionate and protective of my job.

If managers don't want to discuss benefits with a casual inquirer, that makes sense to me.

However, in a job interview that information is customarily offered. I am a university professor who LOVESLOVESLOVES her job - but I asked about benefits (in detail) during my last job interview. That seems like a basic piece of the interview process - they decide if they want me, I decide if I want them....

If managers don't want to discuss benefits with a casual inquirer, that makes sense to me.

However, in a job interview that information is customarily offered. I am a university professor who LOVESLOVESLOVES her job - but I asked about benefits (in detail) during my last job interview. That seems like a basic piece of the interview process - they decide if they want me, I decide if I want them....

I agree with you. The question about benefits should be brought up during the formal interview process. What I was talking about are people wanting to know before they even bother to apply for the job. The stores all need holidayhelp. If you want to work for the holidays, fine, just don't think it is all fun.

When I interviewed for teaching positions at private schools, of course I asked about the benefits. It does help you decide on accepting or declining a job. I am just saying some people come to the Disney store wanting to work ONLY for the discounts and not to work retail. Our discounts are a nice perk to go along with a fun job where I work very hard to meet sales goals, presale goals, etc.

I work for $$$ to go to Disney. At hard times on the job, you'll hear me humming.........." It's a small world"....:thumbsup2 LOL. My co-workers know what that means...Day from h..... BUT I am still singing 'cause I'll be going to WDW!!

No, I am not kidding! Believe me, after 15 years I have seen it all. Seasonal cast members leaving when thy find out they aren't getting the WDW discounts, guests saying I'd love a job here so I can go to WDW cheap too, seasonals leaving because they didn't realize it was "hard" work, etc.

The new focus is "Magic", so if you want to come and help spread some while working your butt off for the holidays, the stores want you. If you are friendly with your local store cast inquire how many seasonals last the entire holiday season? It is not many. You get the excuses about shifts being all over the place, non-consistent in length and days, the work is too hard, etc.

I did not mean to offend anyone here. I was expressing my frustration over people wanting to know the perks. I would never ask another person what perks they get at their job. Like I said I love my job and have been there for 15 years. When I started I was also a teacher, since retirement it is my fun job. I have been a member of management, but I love just being a cast member. I go to work, have some fun and work hard.

Once again I am sorry if I angered anyone of you. I am just passionate and protective of my job.

No offense taken. I know you have seen alot of people come and go at your job over 15 years. My daughter is 17, she is trying to find a job. I think she may get on a Rite-Aid. She wanted to drop off her application yesterday when we went, she comes walking out of her room with shorts that were too short (in my opinion). I made her go change. Of course, she was ticked but I said people's first impression of you is very important. Well, she was glad she changed because she ended up talking to the store manager. Anyways, I know I'm rambling. I just want to say that alot of people (especially younger ones) don't understand what its like to be in the real world. I told her she better do her best because mama isn't going to be there to tell her to do this or do that. Now, back to regularly scheduled dising. :goodvibes

Just bumping up to see if anyone knows if Disney Store employees currently get a discount for disneyland tickets??

I might want a part time job there. :-)

I'm glad you bumped this. :goodvibes

I'm wondering if anyone knows if part-time employees get health benefits?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter