DisneyLAND marathon 2006

OK- so.... now that LGD has made a GOOD point about an inaugural race.... maybe we should think about that half! When is it exactly?

Lisa- no problemo!

Crazy4pooh- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know what it is that you get!

Geetey- I am now considering the half at DL- I need more detail first! I don't want to make an emotional decision based on a CASTLE medal! :) :) :) :) AND yes, for now.... DL is closer to me- but by the time this half comes up we may be living back in the midwest. We definetly will not be living here in Oregon though.

MaryLiz- WE can all room share and split food! that'll make it cost less..... right?!?!?! What do you prefer- the 10K or the half?

I got the super secret email about the DL half, but I trashed it because when I got it I had no interest..... so, can someone please pm the info to me?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh- I'm getting that ol' feeling back again! YES!

littlegreydonkey said:
I've registered - there's no way I was missing an inaugural (sp?) Disney race, or a castle medal. All I've got to do now is work out how to fit it in. I go back to England for a month in August, and LA is halfway between here and there, but do I arrive two days before and hope the flight etc don't muck me up for the race, or do I fly in a week before, and home the day after and hope I can deal with 12 hours on a plane with half marathon legs. Oh the choices we have to make.....Helen

Helen, would you be interested in adopting me? :teeth:

Karen--it is Sunday, September 17th. 13.1 miles, 16 minute per mile pacing requirement. You run from California Adventure to Disneyland then out to a baseball stadium and back (supposedly along a river somewhere) and then back to California Adventure.

Someone posted the e-mail on page 1 or 2 of this thread and there is a link to the website.

Interesting! We plan to be in DL around that time anyway to celebrate our 6th anniversary of our DL wedding! We were actually supposed to go this year, but with closing on our house and Barry's DD's wedding in CT coming up, this year just wasn'rt working for us. Now I see that may be a good thing! 2006, here we come!

As for the weather, the only time I have ever been in CA was for our wedding, Sept 12, 2000. All I can tell you is that for that specific week it was HOT!!!!! I'm talking in the high 90º range. I look like I was about to pass out in all the wedding pics from the heat. Hopefully that is not normal for that time.

I would absolutely love to rtegister for this. I only have 2 concerns. First is the pacing requirement. I have not yet been able to get below a 16 min mile and I really do not want to be swept. Call it an ego thing if you will, but I'm afraid being swept would destroy any desire I have to keep training. Second, DH thinks I am absolutely crazy for even thinking about it. He may be right, but that's never stopped me before! :banana: So I guess I have to get into trip planning mode and think about how this will fit into our trip plans. We do want to be in DL for our anniversary on the 12th, so I will see if I can make it work. I'd really love to make the commitment to join you guys in this! :cheer2:

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Karen--it is Sunday, September 18th. 13.1 miles, 16 minute per mile pacing requirement.
I just wanted to make a slight correction, to avoid confusion: the DL half marathon takes place on Sunday, September 17th, 2006. I'd hate for people to show up on the wrong day! :goodvibes

Here are links to the general event info page and the registration page, which will become active on October 15th.

perfectmatch300 said:
...As for the weather, the only time I have ever been in CA was for our wedding, Sept 12, 2000. All I can tell you is that for that specific week it was HOT!!!!! I'm talking in the high 90º range. I look like I was about to pass out in all the wedding pics from the heat. Hopefully that is not normal for that time.

Yeah, it'll probaby be hot so but the race will probably start in the morning where heat won't be so much of an issue. Also, we don't have humidity(or at least that much) to deal with. To me, that would be even tougher to handle. Just be sure to hydrate yourself sufficiently the week prior to the race to avoid cramping and dehydration...

lap3 said:
Yeah, it'll probaby be hot so but the race will probably start in the morning where heat won't be so much of an issue. Also, we don't have humidity (or at least that much) to deal with. To me, that would be even tougher to handle.
Yep, according to the official schedule page, the race will start at 6:00 AM. :teeth: While it could still get pretty warm by the end of the race, I'm guessing it will be reasonable. The humidity would kill me as well - I'm definitely a home-grown California girl, that's for sure! :p

Here's a weather summary page for Anaheim (technically for Fullerton, which is close by) on September 17. Historically, the average high/low temps have been 85/62°F, and based on the temperature graph for this past Sept. 17, it should stay in the low 60's through the end of the race (~9:00 AM). Remember, there won't be much humidity, so this should be rather pleasant!

karebear1 said:
Crazy4pooh- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know what it is that you get!

The special gift was an apron to go along with the Food and Wine Festival. I did hear a couple of people say that it might be nice to wear after a few drinks so they could keep from spilling food on themselves. They also had shirts that you could buy if you wanted one.

Darned lotto numbers didn't come up this past weekend. I "mentioned" it to DH again, and he just :rolleyes: Can't push him too much ... he readily agreed to a 3-night trip to WDW without the kids this coming December. And I did go to WDW with one of my sisters for a week in Aug without him or the kids. 4 trips to WDW this year for me. :goodvibes I think DL next year would be really pushing my luck and my marriage. :rotfl:

Karen, I tried to tell him that you and I could share a room. :teeth:

Heather ... you're doing the Full in 2007 :earseek: Congrats on that goal! Do you train in the middle of the night when those beautiful girls are asleep?

The thought of that beautiful Castle medal and me not having one is making me :sad: But knowing that some of my wonderful friends will be sharing their pictures of themselves with the medal is of great comfort to me !

:grouphug: to you all !

MaryLiz

Woo Hoo Cam! :cheer2: Can't wait to see you and Howard there! We can always say that we were at the first one. :banana:

Heather! THANK YOU, so much! Still can't believe Howard agreed to this, considering we have no idea what his job situation will be, and I can't imagine paying for airfare and DS will be back in school by then, and DD will be in her first semester of college. Lots of reasons to have hesitated, but all my WISH buddies have taught me the value of making a commitment and then working toward fulfilling it.

This is going to be so much fun. Guess I will have to make a note to investigate using our DVC points to book accomodations! YIPPEE!!!!! :Pinkbounc

Lisa loves Pooh said:
I signed up!

I'm cruisin' for a bruisin'!

Ha ha!

Not sure if I can go....but at least $90 secured my spot!

Lisa -- I agree. I have every expectation that this race will fill up very fast, so I thought it was better to secure the spots and worry later about how to get there. It will be great to put together a new training thread for that event after the January 1/2!! So far, I think it is you and me and Howard and Heather! Who else? :goodvibes:

Ooohhh you guys are killing me! Minnie weekend, Danskin Tri, Disneyland 1/2....... how's a SAHM supposed to pay for all this? I want to be at all of them. What to do, what to do?

TiffJ said:
Ooohhh you guys are killing me! Minnie weekend, Danskin Tri, Disneyland 1/2....... how's a SAHM supposed to pay for all this? I want to be at all of them. What to do, what to do?

We ask hubby.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just kidding!

keenercam said:
So far, I think it is you and me and Howard and Heather! Who else? :goodvibes:
I'm signed up! :teeth: And possibly my DH as well - he'll definitely be there to cheer me on, but he's still considering running the race as well. He hasn't registered yet, so he'd better make up his mind soon... :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter