• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you know ahead of time that a CM will be entering your room every day it would make the Stand your Ground a bit wishy washy. You KNOW someone will be entering your room that has no ill intent. Freaking out, dialing 911 and grabbing a weapon will probably be looked on as an over-reaction. Are there not peep holes in the doors as well? Why would you not look and engage with the person wanting in your room before freaking out? Though I think if it gets to the point that a CM is breaking down your door because you refuse to open it they will be able to say they either thought you were ill, or were trying to hide something. Getting the police involved is probably a good way to get banned from property.
Actually, I've had to call 911 because a stranger was at my hotel room door, demanding entry - and I couldn't tell who it was, peephole and all. Police were more than happy to assist and even when it turned out to be a confused, lost fellow guest, made a point of telling me I'd done the right thing by calling. Why on earth would someone wishing to do harm call the police to say a stranger is breaking in on them?! But my point here is that I do not believe anyone's breaking down a door because a guest says, "No, you may not come in right now - please return in a couple hours when I'll be out of the room." If/when we see a report of that, I'll simply not stay at their resorts. :)

"No, you may not come in right now - please return in a couple hours when I'll be out of the room." If/when we see a report of that, I'll simply not stay at their resorts. :)

Already been reported at TripAdvisor under "Walt Disney World" and I have every reason to believe it is true, though I feel that the lack of consistency among training/policy is the cause and not the intent. My advise would be to stay elsewhere out of protest by withholding your dollars not just at their hotels but at Disney in total. The policy reeks of greed and total indifference to what heretofore was a reasonable expectation of privacy behind your hotel room door.

"via mobile Trip Advisor
Beware - new resort "screw your privacy " policy

We stayed at the Pop Century last week. They no longer allow do not disturb signs on your door. At about 2:30 my 4 year old grand son was in our room to get his BADLY needed nap. Using their new "room occupied" door sign, the maid service appropriately passed over our room. One hour later, around 3:30, with my grandson and wife sleeping in their bed, there's a strong knock on my door. A security lady at the door says she needs to check the room, for security reasons. I asked if she could come back in an hour when my grandson is done napping. She insists I have to let her in, and then she requires ME to step outside while she goes in.
She goes in flips on the light, looks back and forth, checks the bathroom, then leaves. Of course , my grandson wakes up before fully rested, and spends the rest of the day cranky.
Disney really screwed up on this policy decision. I know we live in a new reality for security, but if there is a bad guy wanting to do bad things, this won't catch him/her. Guns can be hidden under mattresses, in closed suitcases, or the trunk of their car.
This is not how we are supposed to be treated in the United States. Freedom to be left alone is highly valued, and coming into my paid for room w/o notice or warning is not cool.

Ask Michael R about Walt Disney World Resort

This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC."

She insists I have to let her in, and then she requires ME to step outside while she goes in.
But that person still opened the door to the CM, thereby inviting her in, however unwillingly. I've seen no reports of CMs breaking in when all locks are engaged. That's the part that seems to be getting misconstrued. There's a colossal difference between a CM "insisting" on coming in and a CM busting through a locked door, right?

But that person still opened the door to the CM, thereby inviting her in, however unwillingly. I've seen no reports of CMs breaking in when all locks are engaged. That's the part that seems to be getting misconstrued. There's a colossal difference between a CM "insisting" on coming in and a CM busting through a locked door, right?
gottcha

"via mobile Trip Advisor
Beware - new resort "screw your privacy " policy

We stayed at the Pop Century last week. They no longer allow do not disturb signs on your door. At about 2:30 my 4 year old grand son was in our room to get his BADLY needed nap. Using their new "room occupied" door sign, the maid service appropriately passed over our room. One hour later, around 3:30, with my grandson and wife sleeping in their bed, there's a strong knock on my door. A security lady at the door says she needs to check the room, for security reasons. I asked if she could come back in an hour when my grandson is done napping. She insists I have to let her in, and then she requires ME to step outside while she goes in.
She goes in flips on the light, looks back and forth, checks the bathroom, then leaves. Of course , my grandson wakes up before fully rested, and spends the rest of the day cranky.
Disney really screwed up on this policy decision. I know we live in a new reality for security, but if there is a bad guy wanting to do bad things, this won't catch him/her. Guns can be hidden under mattresses, in closed suitcases, or the trunk of their car.
This is not how we are supposed to be treated in the United States. Freedom to be left alone is highly valued, and coming into my paid for room w/o notice or warning is not cool.

Ask Michael R about Walt Disney World Resort

This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC."

A housekeeper asked a guest to step out of their resort room to give the housekeeper access to her sleeping grandson and wife?

This is when the door would have been shut in her face.

I know someone is going to come in here and make another round of excuses for Disney, :rolleyes1 but I wonder what people would say if a male housekeeper demanded another man leave the room while he is left alone with a woman and child.

They have the absolute right to enter the room anytime for any reason. As long as its in the contract which it is.
You would not be able to sue if they saw you naked etc.
The laws governing the state of Florida would have to be broken...ie...inappropriate touching, voyeurism, assault etc.
In which case you should call the local POLICE immediately and file a report.
You might then have a good law suit if you proved in court such an even took place.
A cast member walking in on you naked etc...sorry oops. Too bad for you. Or too bad for them if they saw me!

They have a right to a degree to come into the room. I also have a right to some form of privacy when it comes to my body or having sex. I actually talked to some of my lawyer friends about this issue and they also see a problem in Disney's future. Other hotels are doing security checks through housekeeping (if no housekeeping then through a security employee) and not infringing on the rights of privacy for their guests. A business can still do security checks without the lost of privacy to a guest.

They really need to lay out the ground rules for this. Them doing different thigns for every person is really making disney look bad. Why not just make sure everyone gets housekeeping everyday. No more opting out. This way it works the same but no longer feels more intrusive. They said its for the property and issues due to no housing keeping for days so change that..

They have a right to a degree to come into the room. I also have a right to some form of privacy when it comes to my body or having sex. I actually talked to some of my lawyer friends about this issue and they also see a problem in Disney's future. Other hotels are doing security checks through housekeeping (if no housekeeping then through a security employee) and not infringing on the rights of privacy for their guests. A business can still do security checks without the lost of privacy to a guest.
They sure can and do...except at Disney where you can pay upwards of $1000 a night and it can be hit or miss if you get extra towels on time, or any other ameniteies, you would take for granted for that kind of cash at Ritz, Four Seasons etc...let alone privacy mishaps by ill trained and understaffed employees.

I guess the jury will have to determine how wide the security's eyes opened and how long they stared! Ha! If they saw me they'd run bleerting out 'have a magical day!"
I'm 60 and have traveled the world and stayed in countless hotels from China to Terra Del Frego...Maids have walked in on me countless times with or without the DND sign and with or without my cloths on...they just bow their heads say 'oops so very sorry" and amscray...no biggie...but they are there to clean my toilet not to spy on me.

Last edited:
I'm the poster who spoke with the CM, and I'd like to say that my conversation with this person was nothing at all like what it seems to be turning into here. She was pleasant, informative, and responsive.

She also doesn’t work at the resorts, probably hasn’t been to that resort, and might not even be working from Florida. Phone reps are NOT employees at the resorts. They are in a variety of call centers or even working from home.

As you know ahead of time that a CM will be entering your room every day it would make the Stand your Ground a bit wishy washy.

This is Florida. There’s a bit of precedent for anyone crying “stand your ground” to get away with anything they want.

They really need to lay out the ground rules for this. Them doing different thigns for every person is really making disney look bad. Why not just make sure everyone gets housekeeping everyday. No more opting out. This way it works the same but no longer feels more intrusive. They said its for the property and issues due to no housing keeping for days so change that..
Again $$$ rules all. They actually give you a few dollars OFF your rate if you forgo housekeeping...saves them millions on labor, etc....when the bean counters do the math...
Enter a new position "security"...knock knock peak peak bye bye...$$$$$$$$$$$$$ saved $$$$$$$$$$ earned

But i would forgo mousekeeping so I dont have to worry about people in my room and with this new system its gonna happen anyway so now wont less people opt out? Thus costing them more money in housekeeping and having to hire secruity for the rooms who do opt out..

My friend is at Saratoga Springs. I asked the same, because we usually stay in a 2 bedroom so I wondered if one family member, already dressed, could deal with the housekeeper while another showered or dressed privately in the bedroom, or did they have to stomp through every ROOM? She reminded me she and her daughter are in a studio, so she wasn't sure. Her explanation was "It seems they walk around and empty each trash can as an excuse." She has had the bolt thingy on, but the housekeeper "cracked the door" open anyway. My friend is very unhappy about all of this and plans to call/write once back home. It occurs to me that DVC resorts may feel this the most because daily housekeeping isn't normally provided, so you are instead saddled with the "security check." My friend's greatest annoyance seems to be that even with a very sick guest, this can't be done on a schedule but they show up "whenever."

So she didn't have the actual dead bolt on. They couldn't crack the door if the dead bolt lock was turned.

But i would forgo mousekeeping so I dont have to worry about people in my room and with this new system its gonna happen anyway so now wont less people opt out? Thus costing them more money in housekeeping and having to hire secruity for the rooms who do opt out..
The majority of guests who stay on site are going to be a) ok with this policy.. b) unaware it even exists. c) unaffected by it one way or the other.....its only those of us who insist on being left alone either while we are in the room and/or not wanting anyone in the room while we are gone that will shake up the boardroom...they will do what ever their accountants and insurance company tell them is best for their bottom line. Your guess is as good as mine beyond those realities.

WDW just telephoned me and I spoke with a really attentive and responsive CM for over 10 minutes.

Here's the gist of what she said:
(1) They are now checking guest rooms once a day. So if you turned down housekeeping, someone else will want access to your room at some point. You can arrange for the time they're going to come by calling the front desk and letting them know.
(2) If housekeeping hasn't serviced your room yet (like while you're out at a park) and you come back and want to take a nap and not be disturbed, you can call the front desk and let them know not to disturb you and they'll honor your request. However, at some point you will have to give access to someone to come into the room.
(3) If you got housekeeping and they cleaned your room that day, no one else will come to your room for any additional inspection, etc.

Since we always have housekeeping, this seems like it's not an issue for us, however, I see how it is if you've turned down housekeeping or are staying at a villa on points.

The CM actually said that one of the reasons this policy went into effect is that with the option to turn down housekeeping at certain resorts, the housekeeping staff would show up in the room after a couple of days of no service and the room would be trashed or there would be problems, like a leaky sink, for example, that hadn't been addressed for those couple of days.

I hope this is helpful to others on this thread. I can only report what the CM told me. I haven't been there since the new policy went into effect, but I hope this information is correct. I will report back after our trip.

Thanks for reporting this back to the group!

Unfortunately none of this works for me.

I'm not going to spend $10k plus on a vacation and have to call the front desk (which is a call center, not the front desk) to tell them I'd like to take a nap. This is utterly ridiculous.

The majority of guests who stay on site are going to be a) ok with this policy.. b) unaware it even exists. c) unaffected by it one way or the other.....its only those of us who insist on being left alone either while we are in the room and/or not wanting anyone in the room while we are gone that will shake up the boardroom...they will do what ever their accountants and insurance company tell them is best for their bottom line. Your guess is as good as mine beyond those realities.

I wouldn't say majority. But you are right. There will be a large number of guests that this won't effect much.

Thanks for reporting this back to the group!

Unfortunately none of this works for me.

I'm not going to spend $10k plus on a vacation and have to call the front desk (which is a call center, not the front desk) to tell them I'd like to take a nap. This is utterly ridiculous.
:worship:

I wanted more clarity on this so I called Disney’s reservation line and spoke to a misinformed CM. She claimed she knew nothing about this security check and I was basically making it up. :sad2: We went back and forth and she placed me on hold and came back stating the security checks were up to supervisors who “suspect” someone may be acting suspiciously.

I asked how a supervisor decides whether or not someone is up to no good. What are the requirements? What are the suspicions based on? Age, race, attire?

The CM couldn’t tell me, so I told her it sounded like someone was going to win a discrimination lawsuit soon.

She also doesn’t work at the resorts, probably hasn’t been to that resort, and might not even be working from Florida. Phone reps are NOT employees at the resorts. They are in a variety of call centers or even working from home.

This.

I called my resort’s number tonight and asked for the front desk. Someone who sounded like they were in a basement said she was in the “back office” of the resort and could help me just as much as the actual front desk. I said no and she refused to transfer me over to the property.

I hung up, called back, asked to be transferred to the front desk and 2 minutes later I was speaking to someone on property. He said security checks aren’t done every night and you can schedule a time when you would like security to come by (which seems to defeat the purpose since a criminal would know what time to hide their activities). And having housekeeping services does not mean you can skip a security check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter