DVC Dining Plan

As noted, yes you can. You'd have to book a single night then change room types or resorts if actually staying longer, in order to do what you propose. I'd agree with looking at TIW savings since it sounds like you have that already. As a rule, signature's give you a lower value per credit compared to many of the single credit options. For the 1 night, 2 day, 6 credit situation I would not do 2 signature's or if I did, I would only do 1 entree per meal and pay OOP for anything else saving the 2 additional credits for a character meal or higher end single credit lunch. Your choice of course, just trying to get you to think about your options and what you're potentially giving up.

We would actually only be staying for 1 night/2 days. I have calculated out what we would order at at least 4-5 different signature restaurants (Jiko, Artist Point, Le Cellier, Flying Fish, etc). It is definitely complicated to try to wrap my head around the dining plan vs. TiW, I've figured that I break down each table credit to be worth $33-34. So a signature restaurant would be $67. Then I have to consider the tip, basically the Signature would be costing $79 roughly. So we'd have to order more than $79 of food to break even on that meal.

There are very few restaurants where you can even order that dollar amount between app, entree, dessert, and drink. Calculating based on highest cost items. It seems like Narcoosee's and Fulton's would be the most expensive OOP. So potentially it would be the most bang for our buck, even when including the tip we'd have to cover. I'm guessing at Narcoosee's our bill would be about $200, plus tip. So DDP (4 credits) would cover the $200 for meal#1, and the tip would be OOP. For Fulton's (meal #2) I estimated our meals would run $175 (DDP would cover half, using 2 credits, other half TiW), plus tip. I'm guessing the DDP might save us $40-80 depending. If we order the app and dessert on my DDP, and share it, it may save some money OOP.

We may consider doing Spirit of Aloha, but that one seems to be better to pay OOP with TiW because gratuity is included that one comes in under the $79 mark.

What are the best options for 1 table credit meals? We've done some of the buffets, like Ohana and Boma, but want to try some higher end places. Thank you guys for your feedback and suggestions.

Yes, but tell your server when you order so that s/he can create two separate pay tickets. But two great big meals on two consecutive nights would be a bit too much food for many people.

Thanks. That's good to know that we can pool our last 2 credits to cover one signature meal. We're thinking on night #2, we would share the app and dessert from the DDP, and hubby would order his entree on the TiW. Am I allowed to share the appetizer and dessert from the DDP?

We've been wanting to try Narcoosee's and Fulton's. Even on the DDP it's not cheap by any means for 2 meals, but it seems like it might save us $40 more than TiW.

With the DDP are you able to order the most expensive thing, is it covered? For instance Narcoosee's has "Butter-poached Maine Lobster Tail with Grilled Black Angus New York Strip $72.00". I would hate to be embarrassed at a high end restaurant by asking a bunch of noobie questions.

Thanks. That's good to know that we can pool our last 2 credits to cover one signature meal. We're thinking on night #2, we would share the app and dessert from the DDP, and hubby would order his entree on the TiW. Am I allowed to share the appetizer and dessert from the DDP?

We've been wanting to try Narcoosee's and Fulton's. Even on the DDP it's not cheap by any means for 2 meals, but it seems like it might save us $40 more than TiW.

With the DDP are you able to order the most expensive thing, is it covered? For instance Narcoosee's has "Butter-poached Maine Lobster Tail with Grilled Black Angus New York Strip $72.00". I would hate to be embarrassed at a high end restaurant by asking a bunch of noobie questions.

Yes, it is. If you have DDP specific questions, they are very helpful on the Dining forums and they always have up to date info on what's included in the DDP.

People even list out their desired menu items, etc., and others will chime in on whether it's a good deal, etc.

We would actually only be staying for 1 night/2 days. I have calculated out what we would order at at least 4-5 different signature restaurants (Jiko, Artist Point, Le Cellier, Flying Fish, etc). It is definitely complicated to try to wrap my head around the dining plan vs. TiW, I've figured that I break down each table credit to be worth $33-34. So a signature restaurant would be $67. Then I have to consider the tip, basically the Signature would be costing $79 roughly. So we'd have to order more than $79 of food to break even on that meal.

There are very few restaurants where you can even order that dollar amount between app, entree, dessert, and drink. Calculating based on highest cost items. It seems like Narcoosee's and Fulton's would be the most expensive OOP. So potentially it would be the most bang for our buck, even when including the tip we'd have to cover. I'm guessing at Narcoosee's our bill would be about $200, plus tip. So DDP (4 credits) would cover the $200 for meal#1, and the tip would be OOP. For Fulton's (meal #2) I estimated our meals would run $175 (DDP would cover half, using 2 credits, other half TiW), plus tip. I'm guessing the DDP might save us $40-80 depending. If we order the app and dessert on my DDP, and share it, it may save some money OOP.

We may consider doing Spirit of Aloha, but that one seems to be better to pay OOP with TiW because gratuity is included that one comes in under the $79 mark.

What are the best options for 1 table credit meals? We've done some of the buffets, like Ohana and Boma, but want to try some higher end places. Thank you guys for your feedback and suggestions.
I think you're making this too complicated but I think your basic process is sound. Narcoossee's for the lobster or steak/lobster will likely be your best dollar return. I think all of the 2 credit option will give you the ability to get your money back for the higher cost options on the menu if you include the drink, appy and dessert in the calculations. Remember you can often include the specialty drinks like smoothies or french press coffee. I'd take the tip out of the equation related to value but include it related to budget since you'd tip either way. Also, remember that tip is included for some of the options (dinner shows, castle dining) in the DP options.

As for 1 service options, dinner is usually the best value and places that have essentially the same menu and similar or the same costs for lunch. Character meals, many EPCOT options, TS at the moderates and DD, etc. Just look at the menu's. I get the sense you're trying to get just as much out of this as possible and if that's the case, You're current thoughts will not do that. Here's another way to look at it. If you want to get just as much value as possible, consider Chef Mickey's for breakfast then using the credits at more exp 1 credit options and 1 credit per meal supplementing OOP. Obviously there are combinations. Not trying to tell you what to do, just get you to look at the options.

When you look a menu's, look at what you're likely to order, or want to order, don't kill yourself over just the more expensive options unless you want to order that anyway. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Thanks Dean. I'll be sure to check out the dining forum too, and read some more restaurant reviews.

It worked well for us when we did the castle dinner and chef Mickie dinner...with a child, got the refillable cup for the pool drinks for both days, and we used the two snacks per person for breakfast foods (juice and bagel and pastry and cereal for the kiddo). We had one night stay at BLT so it worked out fine before we moved to OKW for a week.

We went to DL for the 1st time this spring break and loved it! (The Grand Californian is absolutely amazing and I highly recommend visiting.) We did not get the dining plan, it is very different from the WDW dining plan.

I know that the WDW dining plan is not the best option monetarily but what I suspected would happen without a dining plan actually did...

Rather than showing up and ordering whatever sounds best because it is already paid for, people agonized over what to order and how expensive meals were. It confirmed what I believe all along, that for us it is easier to budget X dollars before the trip and have fun on vacation rather than mentally adding up how much we are spending when dining.

That does not work for everyone, but I am sold on a dining plan for all future WDW trips. :rolleyes1

We went to DL for the 1st time this spring break and loved it! (The Grand Californian is absolutely amazing and I highly recommend visiting.) We did not get the dining plan, it is very different from the WDW dining plan.

I know that the WDW dining plan is not the best option monetarily but what I suspected would happen without a dining plan actually did...

Rather than showing up and ordering whatever sounds best because it is already paid for, people agonized over what to order and how expensive meals were. It confirmed what I believe all along, that for us it is easier to budget X dollars before the trip and have fun on vacation rather than mentally adding up how much we are spending when dining.

That does not work for everyone, but I am sold on a dining plan for all future WDW trips. :rolleyes1

That's why I'm thinking about getting the plan when I go for 5 nights with my friend in September. The quick service plan is more than I would probably spend, but I think it will be nice to not have to worry about what the food costs and just order what we want!

That's why I'm thinking about getting the plan when I go for 5 nights with my friend in September. The quick service plan is more than I would probably spend, but I think it will be nice to not have to worry about what the food costs and just order what we want!

My future father in law has Disney as a client through work and has been helping me and the bf plan our trip in June. We decided to get the DP when he told us that for breakfast one morning he spent over $25 for an oatmeal, coffee, and fruit :eek: The bf and I eat WAY more than that. Plus the DP allows us to hit some of the spots that we thought we might not be able to :) Overall I think it is the best choice for us but I will let you all know when I return from out trip. Haha.

$25 for coffee, oatmeal and fruit... I find it hard to beleive.

Coffee is about $2, oatmeal is $2.79 and a fruit is $1.50....

Where did he eat to get such a bill ?

$25 for coffee, oatmeal and fruit... I find it hard to beleive.

Coffee is $2.00, Oatmeal is $2.79' Fruit is $1.50...

Where did he eat to get such a bill ?

There's no way you spend $25 on oatmeal, coffee and fruit at a resort. That would generally come in under $10. Unless you ordered it from room service, or that's the total for more than one person.

At Olivia's coffee is $2.59, oatmeal is $4.99 ($5.49 with seasonal berries) and a sunrise fruit platter (it is huge) is $6.99. I don't see a fruit cup on the menu, but I know they used to offer one. At Good's to go a fruit cup is $3.99, so I would assume about the same at Olivia's.

So, $2.59, $5.49 and $3.99 is $12.07. Well under $25, and pretty large servings.

At Olivia's coffee is $2.59, oatmeal is $4.99 ($5.49 with seasonal berries) and a sunrise fruit platter (it is huge) is $6.99. I don't see a fruit cup on the menu, but I know they used to offer one. At Good's to go a fruit cup is $3.99, so I would assume about the same at Olivia's.

So, $2.59, $5.49 and $3.99 is $12.07. Well under $25, and pretty large servings.
They have the fruit cup as part of the kids meal I think.

After multiple trips, This November will be our first time trying the dining plan. We are going with my sister's family, so there will be four adults and four kids. We like to cruise, also, so I'm comparing it to pre-paid food on the cruise. We have a vacation planner working on our day today, so that should take away any confusion on where we can eat.

Grand Floridian Cafe
Fruit plate: 9.00
Coffee: 2.60
Oats 7.00

Total: 18.60

with tax and tip its possible.

In May 2010 my DH and I got the Dining Plan and it worked out really well, but it was only us. This June, we will have DS10 and DS4 with us and I'm not sure if it will be worth it. We do have a lot of dining reservations but we plan on eating breakfast in the room, we'll be at BWV with a fridge and stuff. Any advice on pros/cons of the Dining Plan with a family? We'll be there for ten days and it will cost us close to $1800, with tax and stuff, if I figured it out correctly. We are DVC members, is there a discount for that? Thanks!!

In May 2010 my DH and I got the Dining Plan and it worked out really well, but it was only us. This June, we will have DS10 and DS4 with us and I'm not sure if it will be worth it. We do have a lot of dining reservations but we plan on eating breakfast in the room, we'll be at BWV with a fridge and stuff. Any advice on pros/cons of the Dining Plan with a family? We'll be there for ten days and it will cost us close to $1800, with tax and stuff, if I figured it out correctly. We are DVC members, is there a discount for that? Thanks!!

There is no DVC discount for the dining plan, the only "discount/perk" is that DVC members do not pay seasonal up charges that are associated with the dining plan.

I would look at menus and run some numbers. Buying a TIW card might be a better choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter