Greece: Greek Odyssey Meets Thread

No box yet. :sad: I called ABD, and apparently they changed some of the artwork on the booklet, and they haven't gotten it back yet. He said they are scheduled to go out May 6th. That's cutting it pretty close! Oh, well.

Sayhello

Hmmm... I wonder if they will make changes to the itinerary as well.... Is this the first Greece trip of the year?

Hmmm... I wonder if they will make changes to the itinerary as well.... Is this the first Greece trip of the year?
It is the first Greece trip of the year. I guess it's entirely possible they are changing the itinerary. I'll let you know what it says when I get it!

Sayhello

This probably isn't why the Greece booklet is bring printed this late, but the new booklets are different than in previous years. Our guide told us this was a change made by the new management. They've replaced the story book with a spiral bound handbook. You're expected to bring the book with you on your trip. They don't give you the second book when you arrive like they did in previous years. There are no more little gifts when you arrive - pen, water bottle, etc. We were given the duffle bag and gratuity envelopes.

This probably isn't why the Greece booklet is bring printed this late, but the new booklets are different than in previous years. Our guide told us this was a change made by the new management. They've replaced the story book with a spiral bound handbook. You're expected to bring the book with you on your trip. They don't give you the second book when you arrive like they did in previous years. There are no more little gifts when you arrive - pen, water bottle, etc. We were given the duffle bag and gratuity envelopes.
:( That's kind of sad. It was part of the fun of arriving to see what the little presents were going to be. And what do they do if someone forgets the booklet? :sad2: I can't imagine that was that big of an expense.

Sayhello

:( That's kind of sad. It was part of the fun of arriving to see what the little presents were going to be. And what do they do if someone forgets the booklet? :sad2: I can't imagine that was that big of an expense.

Sayhello

I forgot my booklet and the guides did have an extra one, but I think I was probably lucky. That is when he told me about the changes. I forgot my luggage tags too and they didn't have any extras. I don't usually forget anything like that, but I blame it on there being so little in the box this time. I wasn't going to bring the travel pillow/blanket with me, so the box just got shoved in the closet with the booklet and tags still inside. I'll do better next time. :)

It is the first Greece trip of the year. I guess it's entirely possible they are changing the itinerary. I'll let you know what it says when I get it!

Sayhello

I'd be very interested in any changes too-we gave our HO on a couple of things at the end of our trip last year (just to make your trip more special SayHello !)

I forgot my booklet and the guides did have an extra one, but I think I was probably lucky. That is when he told me about the changes. I forgot my luggage tags too and they didn't have any extras. I don't usually forget anything like that, but I blame it on there being so little in the box this time. I wasn't going to bring the travel pillow/blanket with me, so the box just got shoved in the closet with the booklet and tags still inside. I'll do better next time. :)
That's interesting about the luggage tags. I don't remember getting luggage tags ahead of time for ABD. They were usually given to us when we arrived. When did they start doing that? Or have I just not been on an ABD where that was done?

Sayhello

I'd be very interested in any changes too-we gave our HO on a couple of things at the end of our trip last year (just to make your trip more special SayHello !)
Depending on how long it is, I'll try to scan the itinerary & post it here. Then you guys can compare it to what you got, and let me know what's changed!

And thanks for thinking about me :flower3:. :thumbsup2

Sayhello

That's interesting about the luggage tags. I don't remember getting luggage tags ahead of time for ABD. They were usually given to us when we arrived. When did they start doing that? Or have I just not been on an ABD where that was done?

Sayhello

It's just the paper tag with all the little squares on the back where they write you hotel room numbers. They've always had those. They used to have Mickey luggage tags that was one of the goodies you received when you arrived, along with the duffle, but they don't have those anymore.

ETA: This is the tag I was referring to:

Sayhello

Major bummer! We liked the little surprises when we got there!

Major bummer! We liked the little surprises when we got there!

Us too! Except, we were joking about our July trip coming up, saying we really didnt need THREE more metal water bottles, since we got them last year AND on the AK Wild Africa Trek tour in January. Lol

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

It's just the paper tag with all the little squares on the back where they write you hotel room numbers. They've always had those. They used to have Mickey luggage tags that was one of the goodies you received when you arrived, along with the duffle, but they don't have those anymore.

ETA: This is the tag I was referring to:

I don't remember getting that ahead of time, though. The Guides filled it out & put it on our luggage. But I didn't do an ABD last year...

Sayhello

So I like to arrive in a foreign country with a certain amount of their currency already in my pocket. Heaven forbid my ATM card didn't work for some reason... Any suggestions on how much would be good for one person with 2 pre-days and one post-day? Did you guys tip the Guides in US dollars or euros? Obviously, for the Guide from Greece it would be euros, but how about the other Guide? In my case, this will be Landon.

Thanks!
Sayhello

So I like to arrive in a foreign country with a certain amount of their currency already in my pocket. Heaven forbid my ATM card didn't work for some reason... Any suggestions on how much would be good for one person with 2 pre-days and one post-day? Did you guys tip the Guides in US dollars or euros? Obviously, for the Guide from Greece it would be euros, but how about the other Guide? In my case, this will be Landon.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Depends on where you are getting your currency--we get ours from a TravelEx in a nearby mall--they offer different packages for currency, with the more you buy the less the admin costs. I start by assuming we'll be paying the max suggested in tips so I determine that and what I'll need for cash where credit is not available--if it all works out with the least admin costs from the currency store, I'll just plan to have envelopes set aside for the two guides. I also bring US bills too (maybe $300 or so)--and roughly $50/day per person for days I'll be on my own in the foreign country in that currency. That worked out fine for Greece--had money for taxi rides (very cheap), for coffee, lunches at stands or local fast food type shops or museum cafes, tips--and purchased the hop on tickets in advance. If I ran low on the foreign currency I dipped into the guide tip money--and replaced it later with US dollars (I think the US and the local guide both are fine with either local or US currency).

This way I can cover all my basis--store most of the currency (US and foreign/tip envelopes) into the hotel safe, and carry one credit card and walk around money. We have a couple of credit cards we rarely use--so we save them for trips (having one as a backup). We have so many bills paid automatically using our credit union credit card that we don't bring that with us--if it were to get stolen then we have to change all of those accounts to the new card.

If you know folks who have traveled try asking them for euros--you can offer to buy at the current rate; they get rid of extra non-spendable coins/bills and you get a better rate for the currency!

Thus endeth my money tips for the day.:thumbsup2

Depends on where you are getting your currency--we get ours from a TravelEx in a nearby mall--they offer different packages for currency, with the more you buy the less the admin costs. I start by assuming we'll be paying the max suggested in tips so I determine that and what I'll need for cash where credit is not available--if it all works out with the least admin costs from the currency store, I'll just plan to have envelopes set aside for the two guides. I also bring US bills too (maybe $300 or so)--and roughly $50/day per person for days I'll be on my own in the foreign country in that currency. That worked out fine for Greece--had money for taxi rides (very cheap), for coffee, lunches at stands or local fast food type shops or museum cafes, tips--and purchased the hop on tickets in advance. If I ran low on the foreign currency I dipped into the guide tip money--and replaced it later with US dollars (I think the US and the local guide both are fine with either local or US currency).

This way I can cover all my basis--store most of the currency (US and foreign/tip envelopes) into the hotel safe, and carry one credit card and walk around money. We have a couple of credit cards we rarely use--so we save them for trips (having one as a backup). We have so many bills paid automatically using our credit union credit card that we don't bring that with us--if it were to get stolen then we have to change all of those accounts to the new card.

If you know folks who have traveled try asking them for euros--you can offer to buy at the current rate; they get rid of extra non-spendable coins/bills and you get a better rate for the currency!

Thus endeth my money tips for the day.:thumbsup2
Thanks, WeLoveABD. That sounds like a good plan! My local bank exchanges currency for me with no admin fees. So I don't have to worry about that aspect. I have one tour I'm sharing that I'll have to pay in cash, and the Guide's tips. But I'm so used to living mostly cashless these days! I tend to mostly live off my Debit card, or my credit card that gets paid off every month. Trying to figure how much cash to have, plus in a foreign currency, is proving to be a bit daunting. :)

Sayhello

A little over 3 days to go!!!! Now, let's just hope the anibiotics work, and I get over my bronchitis!!! At least I got sick this week and not next week. (My doctor says I should be good.)

I am so looking forward to this!

Sayhello

A little over 3 days to go!!!! Now, let's just hope the anibiotics work, and I get over my bronchitis!!! At least I got sick this week and not next week. (My doctor says I should be good.)

I am so looking forward to this!

Sayhello

enjoy enjoy enjoy! (Were you able to read The Island, or are you saving that for the flight?)

enjoy enjoy enjoy! (Were you able to read The Island, or are you saving that for the flight?)
Thanks WeLoveABD! I'm about 1/3 of the way through "The Island". Really enjoying it, and it's definitely making me look forward to seeing Spinalonga even more! Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Still no clue what to pack. I'll just have to go for it... :)

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter