• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

I was glued to the boards last year the first week of October when the hurricane hit because it was a year exactly from my upcoming trip and I was hoping to hear about crowds, the Halloween party and weather. Well all of the chatter revolved around long waits at CS in the values (and mods too maybe) and high prices for box meals, 1 short day and one clean up day (I am almost sure it was only close early one night and then again the next day but I could be wrong you could find this by looking searching). People who ate at the parks or had food in their rooms basically had 1 day of boredom and that was as bad as it got on property. Halloween party tickets were exchanged or refunded. Deluxes has characters meets in the hotel to help[ guests pass the time. people who couldn't leave were accommodated for very fair costs. Disney on the whole handled it very well.

Since that is a pretty recent experience you should be able to think of it as how these thing go around there for these event. Basically a nonissue.

@HopperFan was on the ground for it last year if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he'll respond with a little recent first hand info

I was glued to the boards last year the first week of October when the hurricane hit because it was a year exactly from my upcoming trip and I was hoping to hear about crowds, the Halloween party and weather. Well all of the chatter revolved around long waits at CS in the values (and mods too maybe) and high prices for box meals, 1 short day and one clean up day (I am almost sure it was only close early one night and then again the next day but I could be wrong you could find this by looking searching). People who ate at the parks or had food in their rooms basically had 1 day of boredom and that was as bad as it got on property. Halloween party tickets were exchanged or refunded. Deluxes has characters meets in the hotel to help[ guests pass the time. people who couldn't leave were accommodated for very fair costs. Disney on the whole handled it very well.

Since that is a pretty recent experience you should be able to think of it as how these thing go around there for these event. Basically a nonissue.

@HopperFan was on the ground for it last year if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he'll respond with a little recent first hand info

I was at Walt Disney World during Hurricane Matthew and they handled it amazingly well. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and we were basically told we had to be back to the resort by 6pm on the Thursday. Orlando International closed at 8pm on the Thursday. We were on "lockdown" of sorts from Thursday evening to Friday evening. They opened Disney Springs around 5pm on Friday and the rest of the parks re-opened as scheduled on Saturday morning. Orlando International re-opened Saturday morning too. So basically 24-36 hours of being at the resort.

They had characters and games in the lobby. Boma and The Mara were open. Jiko was used as overflow seating for Boma. We actually ate in Jiko both evenings but got our food from the Boma buffet! A very unique experience. We saw front desk staff, lifeguards, chefs and housekeepers help serve and bus tables to ensure everyone could be fed.

They distributed flashlights in each room in case of a power failure. Housekeeping put our patio furniture inside the room. We were instructed to keep the blinds closed (supposedly to help block any debris should a window break).

I can't say enough about how safe and looked after we felt. The Cast Members were amazingly positive and kept everyone calm.

@HopperFan was at home in Georgia during Hurricane Matthew and she did a great job of pulling info from Twitter, Instagram, and I believe from Facebook.

Disney made decisions "day of" and CMs were notified about an hour before Guests were notified. The Resort Board had real-time reporting as it was the Resorts disseminating info, compensations, and Guest Recovery.

Also, every resort, not just Deluxes, had characters available for meet and greets. The entertainment CMs were assigned and deployed, after the parks closed, to each resort to provide Guest enhancement.

Also, every resort, not just Deluxes, had characters available for meet and greets. The entertainment CMs were assigned and deployed, after the parks closed, to each resort to provide Guest enhancement.

How did the people at the value and moderate resorts had access to the entertainment, though, since on most of them you are on the outside when you leave your room ? Staying at a resort with internal access to rooms during a hurricane seems like a plus. You must feel less... alone :grouphug:

The very, very good news is (at least right now - it can change at the next update) there is very little chance that Irma hits Florida at all. The two most reliable models that people use to track these things both have it missing Florida completely. In fact, of all the eight models used to track storms, only one has it hitting Florida (and I guess it's not a very reliable model).

So right now there is zero reason to worry. If you're getting here on the 10th or the 11th maybe a little more rain on those day. But we're looking really good right
The very, very good news is (at least right now - it can change at the next update) there is very little chance that Irma hits Florida at all. The two most reliable models that people use to track these things both have it missing Florida completely. In fact, of all the eight models used to track storms, only one has it hitting Florida (and I guess it's not a very reliable model).

So right now there is zero reason to worry. If you're getting here on the 10th or the 11th maybe a little more rain on those day. But we're looking really good right now.

How did the people at the value and moderate resorts had access to the entertainment, though, since on most of them you are on the outside when you leave your room ? Staying at a resort with internal access to rooms during a hurricane seems like a plus. You must feel less... alone :grouphug:
The characters were in the lobby areas. Guests were notified when they could leave their rooms. The character interaction was dependent upon when Resort Managers felt it was safe for the characters to be in the Lobby areas because they too were housed overnight at the Resorts.

So let's say Irma hits southern FL next Sun, and skates up the eastern coast of FL on Mon 9/11.
-We land in the afternoon on Mon. What are the chances my flight will be cancelled?
-Would I be better off watching the storm for a few days and then trying to change our flight to arrive on Sun 9/10 instead?
-Is it usually hard to move a flight like that? Or to rebook after a hurricane?
-I don't care about spending a rainy day in our room, but I do care about my whole trip getting derailed.

So let's say Irma hits southern FL next Sun, and skates up the eastern coast of FL on Mon 9/11.
-We land in the afternoon on Mon. What are the chances my flight will be cancelled?
-Would I be better off watching the storm for a few days and then trying to change our flight to arrive on Sun 9/10 instead?
-I don't care about spending a rainy day in our room, but I do care about my whole trip getting derailed.
The best course of action is to wait and let the airlines offer to move your flight. That way, you get to move it for free. Unless cost is no concern.
We were due to arrive the day Orlando shut down for Matthew. I waited for the airlines to open the window for changing the flight and we moved our arrival up a day so we got in the day they closed the parks early instead. At that point, Disney hadn't made a decision to close the parks early or to close for the next day so we landed early, went to the park, learned it was closing early, had a great day, went to the resort, had a great night and a really great day (for one that didn't involve any parks) and then things were really back to full on normal the next day.

Last edited:

@HopperFan was at home in Georgia during Hurricane Matthew and she did a great job of pulling info from Twitter, Instagram, and I believe from Facebook.

Disney made decisions "day of" and CMs were notified about an hour before Guests were notified. The Resort Board had real-time reporting as it was the Resorts disseminating info, compensations, and Guest Recovery.

:wave2:

I was in Georgia. I was supposed to be at my Florida home then heading over to Disney the weekend of the storm. I cancelled my reservations and luckily had people who would move my outdoor stuff inside at my Florida home ... which is in St. Augustine and received quite a brutal hit. We were on a rare high piece of land and far enough back from surf to maintain only some minimal roof damage (which we are still trying to get fixed). My DS is currently at the FL home for weekend so .......... depending on how Irma looks Sunday he may be moving everything inside and covering furniture under the bad roof spot.

Yes, as Hiro said ...... my concerns for my place, since it was predicted to be hit and is yards off the beach (ground level), had me glued to computer/tv and it was good therapy for me to use my multiple computer setup (I do computer work from home) to follow closely all social media I could get, so I could share info to people who were stranded at Disney.

The plus of Matthew if there was one LOTS WAS LEARNED on all levels. My hope is Disney has a much better plan in place for their CMs, their Guests, their Dining options etc so it will run smooth and without hardship to anyone. As I shared back then, a good friend who lived in South Florida always evacuated to a Disney hotel for hurricanes and was in one when Orlando got pounded. She said she never felt safer and better protected.

Last edited:
The best course of action is to wait and let the airlines offer to move your flight. That way, you get to move it for free. Unless cost is no concern.
We were due to arrive the day Orlando shut down for Matthew. I waited for the airlines to open the window for changing the flight and we moved our arrival up a day so we got in the day they closed the parks early instead. At that point, Disney hadn't made a decision to close the parks early or to close for the next day so we landed early, went to the park, learned it was closing early, had a great day, went to the resort, had a great night and a really great day (for one that didn't involve any parks) and then things were really back to full on normal the next day.

This is some of the best advice I have ever read.

We are opposite of everyone here and we need to be able to fly out of Florida on Sept. 14 for a non Disney vacation.

:wave2:

I was in Georgia. I was supposed to be at my Florida home then heading over to Disney the weekend of the storm. I cancelled my reservations and luckily had people who would move my outdoor stuff inside at my Florida home ... which is in St. Augustine and received quite a brutal hit. We were on a rare high piece of land and far enough back from surf to maintain only some minimal roof damage (which we are still trying to get fixed). My DS is currently at the FL home for weekend so .......... depending on how Irma looks Sunday he may be moving everything inside and covering furniture under the bad roof spot.

Yes, as Hiro said ...... my concerns for my place, since it was predicted to be hit and is yards off the beach (ground level), had me glued to computer/tv and it was good therapy for me to use my multiple computer setup (I do computer work from home) to follow closely all social media I could to get, so I could share info to people who were stranded at Disney.

The plus of Matthew if there was one LOTS WAS LEARNED on all levels. My hope is Disney has a much better plan in place for their CMs, their Guests, their Dining options etc so it will run smooth and without hardship to anyone. As I shared back then, a good friend who lived in South Florida always evacuated to a Disney hotel for hurricanes and was in one when Orlando got pounded. She said she never felt safer and better protected.

I remembered your posts and you were a bevy of info. It seems like when ever there's news HopperFan is there. I've said it before and I'll say it again you're like the all knowing eye of Disney World :worship::sail:

As of right now later in the day Sunday (the 10th) and then that Monday seem to when Orlando would be getting hit the worst. Still not over the eye or anything, and this can and will change... but that's the info right now.

What airline are you flying? Some may allow changes before you absolutely have to just to be safe.

For example, American Airlines had this weather travel notice for Harvey and Lidia, and you can see the conditions/dates of travel that are eligible for their offer to rebook flights: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

So whatever airline you're flying, keep an eye on their travel alert webpage in addition to the forecast!

As of right now later in the day Sunday (the 10th) and then that Monday seem to when Orlando would be getting hit the worst. Still not over the eye or anything, and this can and will change... but that's the info right now.

Not sure we can even make definitive statements regarding timing with Irma. The varying models have her reaching the US east coast anywhere from Saturday to Monday. It could be brilliantly sunny in Orlando on Sunday/Monday and Irma could be in the Carolinas or Virginia, or vice versa, or she could go out to sea. Right now I think it's best to just look at the National Hurricane Centre updates (5AM, 11AM, 5PM, 11PM) as they show the 5 day track and even that can change.

Not sure we can even make definitive statements regarding timing with Irma. The varying models have her reaching the US east coast anywhere from Saturday to Monday. It could be brilliantly sunny in Orlando on Sunday/Monday and Irma could be in the Carolinas or Virginia, or vice versa, or she could go out to sea. Right now I think it's best to just look at the National Hurricane Centre updates (5AM, 11AM, 5PM, 11PM) as they show the 5 day track and even that can change.

Absolutely right. I'm just saying the info we have right now about any possibility of it getting close to Orlando. Different models show it missing completely and this one can and will change. Yeah definitely nothing definitive in the slightest.

Absolutely right. I'm just saying the info we have right now about any possibility of it getting close to Orlando. Different models show it missing completely and this one can and will change. Yeah definitely nothing definitive in the slightest.
Hi @Tonyz,
Thanks for posting in the original Irma thread Watching the tropics... again (aka Irma) where everything was being tracked quite nicely and in this #2 thread.

At any rate, with 2 Irma threads going, neither will surpass the Matthew thread of 144 pages. ;)

*DISers - Please remember to post Transportation related questions on the Transportation board. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter