• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

We are due to arrive in Disney 9/7-9/16. We are not worried about Irma because if it's going to hit Florida no better place to be than Disney.

We also were at Disney during Matthew last year. It was a unique experience. We stayed at POFQ. Our extended family was at beach club. They graciously accomidated our extended family when the beach club wouldn't. The arcade was open and free. Characters and games in lobby.

We had been watching weather and earlier in the week placed a what if order to garden grocer which really came in handy.

You just have to be flexible and roll with the punches.

I was there for Matthew, and I'm not gonna lie and say that I want to be at Disney World for another hurricane this year.

Yes, I know it's that time of year, and I took a risk planning a trip in September, but I am still hoping for no big storms when I am there in 2 weeks.

I don't want to diminish anyone who has died, been injured, or had damage to their homes in Houston. There have been a lot of people affected. We have family and friends there right now, and my mother lived in Houston during TS Allison and many other flooding events. However, Houston was mostly not hit directly by hurricane force winds. Most of the damage has been to milder winds (still strong though) and flooding. Keep in mind, Houston floods during what would be a normal rainstorm in Orlando. Houston is on the coast. Orlando is much further inland. Orlando could easily sustain wind damage and some flooding. However, I think comparing what is happening in Houston to Orlando is not accurate. I can see how people who aren't there or don't live with flooding can be easily be freaked out by all of the images shown of what's happening in Houston. The majority of the city is still fine and the majority of homes have not flooded. A lot of the streets are flooded, but that's only because of their elevation above sea level and lack of storm drain system. Just remember to keep the images in perspective when comparing it to what could happen in Orlando. There could easily be airport and park closures due to Irma, depending upon where it goes, but it's probably not going to be a live threatening event in Orlando, just a major inconvenience. With 24/7 coverage of only the areas hit by the flooding, it makes it hard to put things in perspective.

I don't want to diminish anyone who has died, been injured, or had damage to their homes in Houston. There have been a lot of people affected. We have family and friends there right now, and my mother lived in Houston during TS Allison and many other flooding events. However, Houston was mostly not hit directly by hurricane force winds. Most of the damage has been to milder winds (still strong though) and flooding. Keep in mind, Houston floods during what would be a normal rainstorm in Orlando. Houston is on the coast. Orlando is much further inland. Orlando could easily sustain wind damage and some flooding. However, I think comparing what is happening in Houston to Orlando is not accurate. I can see how people who aren't there or don't live with flooding can be easily be freaked out by all of the images shown of what's happening in Houston. The majority of the city is still fine and the majority of homes have not flooded. A lot of the streets are flooded, but that's only because of their elevation above sea level and lack of storm drain system. Just remember to keep the images in perspective when comparing it to what could happen in Orlando. There could easily be airport and park closures due to Irma, depending upon where it goes, but it's probably not going to be a live threatening event in Orlando, just a major inconvenience. With 24/7 coverage of only the areas hit by the flooding, it makes it hard to put things in perspective.

I was curious yesterday so I checked. Houston is about 60 miles from the coast and Orlando is about 70 miles from the coast. However, I agree that Orlando likely has better drainage systems.

I was curious yesterday so I checked. Houston is about 60 miles from the coast and Orlando is about 70 miles from the coast. However, I agree that Orlando likely has better drainage systems.

Also, hurricanes tend to funnel up the port right towards Houston. Orlando does not have a direct connection to the ocean like that. When I refer to Houston, I am also referring to the metro area, which does include the port, ie Baytown, League City, etc. Also, hurricanes tend to be directed towards Houston because of wind patterns, shape of the gulf, and Houston's orientation toward the gulf; whereas, Orlando has a completely different orientation, west, to the ocean. Houston has had many direct hurricane hits, at least level 2 and I believe some level 3. I don't think they are usually at that level by the time they come near Orlando.

Houston is not on the coast.

Prefacing this by saying that I know the storm is unpredictable and we could get hit or not see any effects at all. We travel
as a party of 10 and all "roll with the punches" and make the best of any situation. Right now we are mostly acting like there's no storm coming :)

I do have one question. We fly home the evening of the 10th. Let's say a hurricane hits that day and MCO shuts down before we leave and we are stuck - but our trip is over. Last year with Matthew, was it hard to extend a couple days/get another room? Presumably there could be availability because people wouldn't be able to come in, correct?

We'd also consider just renting a car and driving home if it looked like it could happen (and if we could find a car.)

Last edited:
Houston is not on the coast.

If you consider the port, Houston has a fairly short direct connection to the coast and ocean; whereas, Orlando has no such connection. I am also referring to the Houston metro area, not just the actual city limits of Houston.

I know there is already a thread about this subject, but I'm having a hard time deciphering the info I'm looking for. We will be in Disney from September 6 to 11. Flying out on the 11th. I see what case scenarios have Irma hitting Orlando on the 10th? If that's correct, what exactly does that mean? I'm not concerned with rain so much, we can deal with rain. My concern is will it be dangerous if that is when it hits? Will we be able to fly out safely? I know it's early for any real answers. But I've never dealt with a hurricane before so I have no idea what to expect.

Maybe we'll run into each other in our poncho's! We're there September 6 -12. While I just want to be able to make it there and back on the day due... I'm not too worried about the rest. My oldest stepson and his girlfriend already had to reschedule their flight the night before, because they had a layover in Houston. My mom and husband aren't too thrilled with the rain, but from all I read and followed last year with the hurriciane, I (for one) being positive. The whole family will be together, and regardless of what is going on my two youngest (3 and 5) am sure to have fun. This is the first they'll be there, so they don't know what to expect. If we get stuck in our room the whole time... they still know they're "at Disney". I'm going to make the most of it, but hope for safe travels for everyone!

On twitter ................

Mr. Brian in Orlando‏ @MrBrianORL
I just had to share...forecast for Irma
1f602.png

DIvffqGXoAAQVzx.jpg

Back to the OP -- are you on a non stop? If you are transferring anywhere on the East coast, you up your chances of flight disruption if Irma affects travel.

Not going to WDW this time but connecting thru the Delta hub in Atlanta on Saturday. Maybe I'll pack a few days early just in case.

In 2008, we had a trip planned for mid-September and I was obsessively watching Hurricane Ike. I was so worried it veer northward and hit Florida. Well, it veered west and hit Texas instead. We live in Central Ohio and flew out on a Sunday morning. It was sunny and beautiful that morning. Later that day, we received a phone call from a friend, telling us that the remnants of Ike had blown through Ohio. There were tons of trees down and significant other damage. There were widespread power outages. Some unfortunate people were without power for a week. Meanwhile, we were enjoying beautiful weather in Orlando. I think it rained once that entire week and it was a quick downpour one afternoon. After that, I decided not to worry so much about hurricanes. I'm keeping an eye on it, but not fretting.
I remember this! I'm between Cincinnati and Dayton and didn't have power for several days. We still talk about the hurricane that came to Ohio

With Matthew our flights were cancelled and we needed to extend our trip by one night. POFQ was very accommodating we didn't have to change rooms. The rate was discounted somewhat I believe. Flights were easy to reschedule in fact we kept checking and changed our flights several times due to earlier availability.

My brother and his family were staying at beach club. They however had to change resorts due to availability but were transported to POFQ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter