Hurricane Irma?

If he is self-employed (his own boss), why can't he just take a vacation after this?
He had people lined up to work the week I had to reschedule for. And we are bringing his mother in to live with us who has dementia and he has to prepare for her arrival which would be the day after the trip.

I'm seeing a much less powerful hurricane right now. South Florida looks to be a bad situation but it was supposed to be going back to a cat 5 soon. Now it will be a cat 3. It still hasn't made that turn north. It's a big storm but could the media be hyping it now a bit?

Rachel - I'm sorry your plans were ruined. It's some serious heartache to lose an experience you guys have been planning and waiting for, especially when you really need that together time to mend the tears that stress puts on you. I hope you are able to work this out a different way.

Simonsayz- when you are "the boss" all the responsibility for the success of your company rests on your shoulders. The real boss is the customer. When you have a job that puts so much on one person it's very hard to take time off.

I'm seeing a much less powerful hurricane right now. South Florida looks to be a bad situation but it was supposed to be going back to a cat 5 soon. Now it will be a cat 3. It still hasn't made that turn north. It's a big storm but could the media be hyping it now a bit?

The latest forecast looks like the storm may be headed west and weakening, but yesterday's forecast was the opposite and scarier. Won't know til it happens :worried:

New 11pm NHC track

wBBFdsq.png

Highlights from the forecast discussion
  • Hurricane Hunters & Air Force reconnaissance observed winds at 110mph to 120mph
  • The track has shifted ever so slightly more to the west
  • The interaction with Cuba has affected the storms structure and intensity
  • The NHC wants to get the full Air Force data set before lowering the intensity any further so it stands at 120mph (Category 3)
  • If Irma goes through an eye wall replacement cycle in the next 6-12 hours there is potential for strengthening
  • In about 24 hours Irma will encounter wind sheer that is forecast to increase from 24-48 hours
  • This along with interaction with the west coast of Florida should have a weakening affect
LINK: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/100258.shtml?

An observation of mine, nearly every forecast discussion has ended with "Irma is still expected to be a strong Category 4/5 storm when it makes landfall". However, the 5pm and 11pm forecast discussions today have altered this language to:
Irma is still expected to approach the Florida Keys and Florida west coast as a major hurricane, and combined with its large size, will produce significant storm surge flooding in those areas.

It appears they are cautiously optimistic that the intensity forecast is not as ominous as was thought originally.

We've been keeping a close eye on Irma as we've got several close friends in Florida, and we're amazed at how far west she's moved over the last few days. We're in Memphis and have gone from not being included at all, to being just on the cusp of the 4-5 day projected loop, to smack in the middle of the 1-3 day projected loop. :laughing: She'll only be a depression by the time she reaches us, though, not a hurricane, so nowhere near the impact facing Florida. Curious to see how the gulf affects her. Much love and pixie dust to everyone possibly affected at all in this!

:grouphug:
I just want to vent for a moment. I hope it's ok. I've been in this thread since page 39. It definitely relates to irma.

Foreword - (What I am upset about doesn't compare to the negative impact in people's daily lives that will be or have been affected by the storm. I know this. Most things we get upset about in life are small when compared to someone's elses turmoil in life. However, it's human nature to still feel sadness and disappointment over things that affect us in a negative way in our own lives no matter how small in comparison.)

I have been looking forward to this Disney trip for 3 years. My husband is not a Disney nut and we have agreed to go every 3 years. The last time we were there was in 2014. Ever since I was a little girl, I've dreamed of going with my own family. I remember seeing families at Disney and thinking I can't wait to be that family someday.

We have a 4 year old daughter and a 17 month old son. Lately, things haven't been great between me and my husband. We have had a lot of stressors. We havent done much as a family and havent been on vacation in 2 years. This trip was my light at the end of the tunnel.

Fast forward to Thursday. We are packed and on our way to the airport when we see the latest euro model and painfully cancel. I was able to reschedule but now my husband cannot go because of work obligations (he's self employed). I am devastated. I have been crying on and off since. We needed this vacation. Now it will be a year or two before we can go again as a family. Tomorrow is our 6 year anniversary and all we have been doing is arguing.

So with all that, I would just like to say, I hate you Irma!

Sending hugs to you!

Update: I haven't posted in a while but we arrived on Thursday. Disney Springs was dead. Friday, we didn't have to use or FP for anything. 30 minute wait on PPF and then it rained so the park emptied out. Dinner in the castle was semi crowded but there was a few empty tables at 7:30. Today (Saturday) went to Epcot. Dead. No FP needed. walked on Frozen 3 times in a row. Mission space and test track, 5 minute wait if that. Soarin was maybe 15 minutes. We rode it twice back to back. Little mermaid, we were the only ones on it. Rode figment, the shiny ball etc. waited for nothing. We then walked to Disney studios (never again will I walk) but the boats were closed at 3:00. Rock n rollercoaster was maybe a 10 minute wait the first time but my 6 year old wasn't tall enough last year so we had to do it 3 times in a row. She cried the first time and I laughed so she said she was going again and riding in the front! So the second time, no wait at all. 3rd time there was one train in front of us with half empty seats. waited like 2 minutes. Tower of terror, no wait. walked on. We get back to the contemporary and didn't have reservations for Chef Mickey's but walked right in. maybe 5 tables full at 8:30. Good news is the arcade is free for the next 2 days. Oh and Disney is closed till Tuesday morning. Good news is they are giving each of us 6 days park hopper tickets. 2 for the party's we missed, 2 for the days we missed and 2 for who knows. So next vacation we only need to book the room. I'll update again if I survive.

He had people lined up to work the week I had to reschedule for. And we are bringing his mother in to live with us who has dementia and he has to prepare for her arrival which would be the day after the trip.
Jesus you got a lot going on. I know it's not the sane but find a quick getaway near home. Where go you live?? A nice hotel with pool will be fun for the kids

2004 Charlie went from a CAT2 to CAT4 almost 5 in 3 hours. The entire time the forecast was to make landfall in Tampa, we had a 45min warning it was headed into Charlotte Harbor. I will never forget and never underestimate the power of Mother Nature.

2004 Charlie went from a CAT2 to CAT4 almost 5 in 3 hours. The entire time the forecast was to make landfall in Tampa, we had a 45min warning it was headed into Charlotte Harbor. I will never forget and never underestimate the power of Mother Nature.
Yes, things can change in an instant. It's better to be prepared.

If he is self-employed (his own boss), why can't he just take a vacation after this?
Not the poster who made the comment you're referencing but 100% able to answer this question because my hubby is also self-employed. NO he can't simply take another vacation ... he will have arranged his schedule and clients (not sure what the business is but in our case it involves MANY other companies) to accommodate the current planned holiday time. The biggest problem with your suggestion though is that if a self-employed person isn't working they are making no money, we have no vacation pay to draw on. He will already be dealing with the lack of pay from this time and will not be able to afford to simply take another week off. Don't mean to come across as rude, just explaining how it would go down in this household. We actually had plans for 2 weeks off this summer but circumstances led to us cancelling our trip and sticking close to home. We lost the 2 weeks of pay AND the 2 weeks of holidays, adulting is hard!

@Rachel Underwood I'm so sorry you're going thru this right now and you have every reason to be upset.

Well, I've gotten so much negativity from Florida friends about coming down the 17th that I'd gladly cancel if I have to and take the full refund. Got a 4K TV I have my eyes on. But I'm not cancelling. I'd rather my money still go to the tourism industry for the state.

Alright boys and girls, I'm out, just booked the last studio at an extended stay in New Orleans. even a voluntary evacuation is enough to send me packing! Stay Safe my friends!

Would like to extend a warm welcome! Sorry it's under these circumstances!

My grandmother lived with us for a year with dementia. Aside from having bedbugs in our NYC apartment while she was with us that lasted for months, that transition was the hardest thing we have ever gone through. I can't imagine doing it with your kiddos too. Please be kind to yourself and your marriage. Do whatever you can to stay on the same page. I'm so sorry you lost your trip. My husband isn't a Disney guy either. Next year will be even better with Toy Story Land and Pandora will be older news. Your kiddos will be taller and can ride more things but will still be young enough to enjoy the magic. Please be as sad as you need to be and then when you are ready look into resources to help you manage your mother in law's care so you aren't alone. You are doing an amazing thing. I know every person with dementia is different, but my grandmother was amazing to have around in some ways. It took her a long time but she could chop vegetables if we gave her specific tasks. Find the things that work and, though it might strike others as odd, find humor wherever you can. If you can't laugh at the situation when a person with dementia does something funny, you will go crazy.

Well, I've gotten so much negativity from Florida friends about coming down the 17th that I'd gladly cancel if I have to and take the full refund. Got a 4K TV I have my eyes on. But I'm not cancelling. I'd rather my money still go to the tourism industry for the state.
I agree. I'll be heading down on the 16th if all is ok down there. Why would people want you to stay away when Florida is a tourist state? If it's so bad you wouldn't want to be there, if it's ok then you want to support the economy.

How did you get to keep free dining? I am being told there are no dates available that will allow free dining
I was told that by the first cast member that answers the phone. They work at a call center and have no authority to make those kinds of changes. You have to ask to be transferred to guest services, which comes with the exceeding long wait. Once I got through to them, the CM was willing to make the changes and it went very easy for me. I was even able to stay at Pop Century, even though I was told there was no availability by the first set of CMs. I only moved my dates up a few days, but I've read on these boards that others were able to move theirs weeks or even months later. Hope this helps!

You do. The guy at the Mara said a lot of preparation had taken place to make sure they would remain open and serving regular food. I'm assuming if it's dangerous to be outside we will not be allowed to go into the Mara until it is safe. Boma will have a more limited selection than usual, but it will still have some regular food and a cheaper price.

I don't know if they could or would, but there's cast member tunnels to the Mara that don't go outside

Good news is they are giving each of us 6 days park hopper tickets. 2 for the party's we missed, 2 for the days we missed and 2 for who knows. So next vacation we only need to book the room. I'll update again if I survive.

How did you get that? Who did you talk to about it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter