Hurricane Irma?

I was going to say the same thing about English weather. While the 185mph winds are terrifying when they're saying oh it's 60mph panic I'm just thinking we get that all the time and then today they're very casually mentioning 75mph winds like it's no big deal. It's so strange how that's technically a hurricane on the scales. I suppose it's just where the weather is coming from that causes the impacts. But I can definitely understand why the UK people weren't reacting to being told those kinds of winds. Plus it wasn't being covered on our media until right before she hit so unless you know to keep checking the hurricane centre website (which I now will be all of our holiday that starts next week) you'd not have much time to prepare at all. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as they feared. Hopefully the rest of the season will be uneventful.

I work for our provincial government. If the roads are dangerous due to snow and I choose to stay home I do not get paid or need to take a vacation day. If the office is closed for snow (we've closed early occasionally but never for an entire day) I will get paid. The one time I remember the office being closed for an extended period of time was during the blackout in 2003. Since the office was closed and we could not go to work we were still paid.

Since the parks were closed, I sure hope there is a way to financially compensate those employees who would have been working those days! They work very hard for lower wages and I would hope with all that Disney brings in on a normal day they would find a way to help out their employees during these extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:
After my flight this morning got cancelled and rescheduled till friday, not being able to call reservations since it is closed, and freaking out cause I would miss half my reservation, late last night I got a flight this afternoon, leaving at 4:20 yeah! Fingers crossed for no delays or cancellation, its direct so let's hope it all goes well. What a rollercoaster week this has been so far.

Supposed to check into Vero Beach on 9/20, the resort home page simply says it is closed.

Any ideas?

I don't think anyone here can give you any help, just their personal opinions which really won't help you. I would continue to monitor the website and possibly try to contact them.

I'm a glutton for punishment!!! I cancelled our trip last Thursday evening at 10:30 since we were to leave in less than 12 hours as I felt (and still do) that it was the best decision for my DD and I.

But...I'm sad and still I find myself coming here and reading how quiet the parks are and just make myself more sad. D'oh - I need a new hobby! Reading DISboards when I was supposed to be there is not good for my emotional well being! ;)

Are you thinking that most, or all, costumed CMs are paid minimum wage?

I will be honest and say I don't have a clue what 'most' CMs are paid, I've just heard that many are paid minimum wage and depend on extra shifts to pay the bills.

I feel many people (Disney CMs and others) live a lifestyle based on their income and losing a days (or 2 days) pay for many has the possibility to affect their ability to pay bills, etc. I think many wish it wasn't that way but sadly it's reality for many. Just my thoughts. Not trying to start a debate. I was just sharing (as others had) what happens where I work when my work location is unexpectedly closed.

Are you thinking that most, or all, costumed CMs are paid minimum wage?
Florida minimum wage is $8.10/hour. Most cast-members working the parks and resorts earn between around $9/hour starting out, per reports from multiple sources. They reportedly have a senority based payscale, but union employees have a cap on wages. It seems like most make around $9-$10 with the $15 range being long time employees.

They have turnover, and a lot of willing college students, so they definitely can pay the way they want to. Living wage is kind of a joke most everywhere though. Benefits are similar, especially with healthcare. I have a lot of feelings on the subject, but don't want to redirect this thread. Hopefully that helps answer your question- not sure if the CM's posting here are able to divulge salary information-that's usually forbidden

Does anyone know if Magical Express is operating from MCO to the resorts? I just tried calling and they said the lines were reserved until Sept 14 for people trying to leave the resorts in the next 48 hours. I am scheduled to arrive tomorrow night (fingers crossed that it isn't canceled!), after originally being scheduled on the magical express for today.

If it is running, will I be able to get on it when I arrive, even if I haven't scheduled for my flight?

I stopped at Pop to check in on my way to work this morning and while I was there an ME bus came up and stopped to pick up guests. It was still there when I left, so I don't know how many boarded, but they were running the buses.

I'm a glutton for punishment!!! I cancelled our trip last Thursday evening at 10:30 since we were to leave in less than 12 hours as I felt (and still do) that it was the best decision for my DD and I.

But...I'm sad and still I find myself coming here and reading how quiet the parks are and just make myself more sad. D'oh - I need a new hobby! Reading DISboards when I was supposed to be there is not good for my emotional well being! ;)

I said this elsewhere and I'll repeat it - no one should regret cancelling. That was the wiser decision. Despite the fact that we made the measured decision that we were at more risk leaving than staying, there was still significant risk in staying. If it had stayed east - wobbled further west - kept the eye more intact ... it could have been very bad. There's an entire section of bamboo still blocking a path at Pop. Those of us who rode it out were lucky. One tree falling a different direction... So yes, we consider the empty parks a silver lining, but there was still the storm. Staying clear was a wise decision.

HTH

I said this elsewhere and I'll repeat it - no one should regret cancelling. That was the wiser decision. Despite the fact that we made the measured decision that we were at more risk leaving than staying, there was still significant risk in staying. If it had stayed east - wobbled further west - kept the eye more intact ... it could have been very bad. There's an entire section of bamboo still blocking a path at Pop. Those of us who rode it out were lucky. One tree falling a different direction... So yes, we consider the empty parks a silver lining, but there was still the storm. Staying clear was a wise decision.

HTH

It does help! Thank you!!!

You did the right thing in rescheduling, believe me. Would you really wanted to have spent two days out of your vacation stuck in your resort with limited dining, with a chunk of that unable to leave your room? People here definitely seemed to try to make the best of it, but I don't think it's how anyone would choose to spend their vacation!

Well, we survived the storm (I live on the East Coast of FL). I didn't have much damage but some of my neighbors did and some local businesses took a beating. The Keys though...:sad1:

If you are driving down you are in for a very long trip and I would advise you to check traffic. I-10 and I-75 are both parking lots right now and even fuel and power recovery trucks are stuck in it.

Going (way) back to the point about people being confused why overseas visitors may not have been prepared: we have 75mph winds forecast for today and it's not headline news. The weatherman just said some trees might come down so be careful and that was it. That's one of the reasons many Brits wouldn't have known how to prepare. Unfortunately 75mph winds arestandard here! :sad1:

Since this was surprising to me, I checked my Met Office weather app. The wind warnings I see are for 65-75 mph gusts. A hurricane has a minimum of 74 mph sustained winds with much higher gusts and the possibility of tornados.

If it makes you feel a tiny bit better another poster on the other Irma thread said they wouldn't do it again. It's always easy to second guess yourself when something would have worked out. But it could not have worked out. And now you have a whole trip to look forward to!

I was going to say the same thing about English weather. While the 185mph winds are terrifying when they're saying oh it's 60mph panic I'm just thinking we get that all the time and then today they're very casually mentioning 75mph winds like it's no big deal. It's so strange how that's technically a hurricane on the scales. I suppose it's just where the weather is coming from that causes the impacts. But I can definitely understand why the UK people weren't reacting to being told those kinds of winds. Plus it wasn't being covered on our media until right before she hit so unless you know to keep checking the hurricane centre website (which I now will be all of our holiday that starts next week) you'd not have much time to prepare at all. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as they feared. Hopefully the rest of the season will be uneventful.

The area my family is in got gusts up to 76mph and trees are down all over town and it looks like a war zone with peoples houses having trees on them and cars destroyed.

75 is deff a big deal

No one should be second guessing their decision to cancel. I wish I could have left, but it would have cost me my job, and family who sheltered with me would have been left to their own devices. But for about four hours it was utterly terrifying. Partly because it came at night, so you could hear things and have no idea what it was. But even in a solid structure the unrelenting wind was awful. I sat in a chair in the back corner of our basement getting through one minute at a time. It was so much worse than the other storms we have had, I think in part because it lasted so long. Charley was just as intense, but it moved by so quickly that by the time you were reaching your limit, it was over. The same with Frances and Jeanne. This one just kept going, like the Energizer bunny. If I knew I wouldn't have to worry about job or family, I would leave next time a storm like this is coming.

On the plus side, I got a new room at Pop today and I am ready for a little R & R :flower::daisy::flower1::thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter