Hurricane Irma?

The $200 for SW was the increase in cost for the plane tickets, SW changed them for free, but we had to make up the difference of the difference in ticket prices
SW always changes fares for free, so nothing different there, and you always pay just the difference, nothing different there either.
But if you wait until there is an alert issued to your departure or arrival airport your fare increase is waived too. At least it is with legacy airlines. I assumed SW too, but maybe not

Looking for opinions please. Would you be thinking of cancelling now if your trip was scheduled to begin September 22nd? I see another likely hurricane developing after Irma; probably 5 days after, of course no idea at this point where it's headed. We are driving from Chicago on the 22nd getting to WDW on the 23rd. My worry is gas shortages in the south and what conditions could be once we get down to WDW. The last 2 years that we have driven this time of year there have been gas shortages anyways for really no reason. Any thoughts, opinions, advice is appreciated.
No, not right now. Not until more is known

I guess we will be waiting till Thursday night or Friday to decide what to do, We can cancel our Friday night, it was for just for one night, but our free dining package starts on Saturday... I really hope if we do cancel we can still get free dining.... if not, boo... This was to be our first MNSSHP .. I guess this will be a big discussion tonight when husband gets home....

Wow I go away for an hour or and this thread just keeps exploding!

Awesome to hear about JetBlue. Makes the whole thing so much easier. Now the tough part... do I leave Saturday night, Sunday morning, or keep it as is and leave Sunday afternoon... we shall see.

It looks as if it could either go right up the Gulf side of Florida, or take a turn earlier and head up towards the Carolinas? So it is possible it could hit Hilton Head as well. If there is anyone with plans there here soon?

I am all about backup plans, and backup-backup plans, and alternate plans, as someone with anxiety and OCD. I guess I am just alarmed at the idea that the park itself could be so damaged that it won't matter if we extend by 3 days.
When I was there for the hurricane years ago the only damage I saw were tree branches down and Disney was quick to clean up. Hopefully that's all there is. I'm all about options and back up plans too. That will help you have a more magical trip.

SW always changes fares for free, so nothing different there, and you always pay just the difference, nothing different there either.
But if you wait until there is an alert issued to your departure or arrival airport your fare increase is waived too. At least it is with legacy airlines. I assumed SW too, but maybe not

Yes, SW has announced any flights between the 5th-11th in Orlando can be changed within 14 days totally free I believe. You can always change and just pay the difference with no added fee. Hopefully those who changed their flights before they announced this can be credited retroactively, but that's why I waited to pull the trigger (easy for me to say as I leave Thursday of course.) I'm just hoping that because at least one of my flights is between now and then I can change the departure even though it's on the 12th. I would imagine they would be ok with it to make room for all the people who should have left on the 10th and 11th...

If you rebook to the original city within 14 days they waive the fare difference. The OP rebooked for Nov.

I was wrong in an earlier post about when this might start. This from the National Weather Service might be useful:

:( that would be even worse for me I think.... or maybe not if I can extend and it doesn't level the park or something horrific. Hoping tomorrow makes things clearer.

Anyone else having horrible trouble with Jetblue's site? Won't let me log in at all!

Our flight home is Friday morning. Would that be an issue? I love WDW but probably should go home :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:rotfl:

:( that would be even worse for me I think.... or maybe not if I can extend and it doesn't level the park or something horrific. Hoping tomorrow makes things clearer.

What he posted is not the 5 day forecast. That's just the earliest possible. Stick with the 5 day forecast.

It looks as if it could either go right up the Gulf side of Florida, or take a turn earlier and head up towards the Carolinas? So it is possible it could hit Hilton Head as well. If there is anyone with plans there here soon?
Yep, I noticed this too. It can still miss most of FL, following a path much like Matthew and end up moving closer towards the Carolina's vs. FL. I think the system behind it, along with the system that just moved over the top of my head, are both steering Irma.

At WDW now. Arrived yesterday, scheduled to be here until Tuesday the 12th. Staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Can't decide if I should hunker down here and cross my fingers that things will be clear by Tuesday afternoon, or try to book a flight home for... Friday?

Hate to cut the trip short but... oy! Stressed out by this hurricane thing!

Can you talk to someone in management and ask them what the provisions are in a hurricane? I've only managed to get ahold of front desk people and they don't have real info.
They have a generator but only emergency lights. Not sure about water. The hotel is hurricane proof but not sure what rating of hurricane that goes up to.
We're supposed to get in Friday but I really don't know what to do

What he posted is not the 5 day forecast. That's just the earliest possible. Stick with the 5 day forecast.

Oh ok, thank you for pointing that out. My head is spinning with all this info!

Can you talk to someone in management and ask them what the provisions are in a hurricane? I've only managed to get ahold of front desk people and they don't have real info.
They have a generator but only emergency lights. Not sure about water. The hotel is hurricane proof but not sure what rating of hurricane that goes up to.
We're supposed to get in Friday but I really don't know what to do

Yes, give us info from the front lines! :magnify: if you can, of course.

Yes, yes, yes, it's very strong. No one is debating that. The question is HOW STRONG will it be when it hits Florida or Orlando? So far I have seen NOTHING that puts top wind speeds in Orlando at ANYTHING close to 180mph. Most are 50mph or less, and while that's not a light breeze, it's not something to panic over. If it actually DOES go up the middle of Florida it will be even MORE dissipated by the time it reaches Orlando, but the models I am seeing have it either tracking up the east coast or going into the gulf and only hitting the tip of the panhandle.

Yes, I agree no one is debating the present strength of the storm. What is being debated is people relying on speculative projections of what the strength and position of the storm will be six to seven days from now. The NHS itself cautions people from doing that, since it's own research has proven that the reliability of any projection made that far out is notoriously poor:

Forecast Period (hours) Average Forecast Error of actual track

(first 2-3 digits the age of the projection, followed by the average error of it in miles)

12 9.1
24 26.3
36 42.0
48 56.9
72 73.8
96 109.7
120 221.7

What this basically tells you is any projection of the storm position next Sunday being made today will on average be over 100 miles off. And given the width of the central Florida panhandle is about 130 miles, the location of a hurricane eyewall varying that much in one direction or another can make a huge difference in the severity of its impact.

Last edited:
We are scheduled to fly out of SC on Sunday evening. We are actually looking to move our flights (SW) up to arrive at MCO Saturday morning. I think this may be the safest approach. I am NOT cancelling my 40th birthday celebration! Problem I am having now is with my DVC reservations. Limited availability for extra night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter