I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is hurting AA will they divorce Citi down the road? It's weird that AA is doing the shutdowns and not Citi. If AA is this mad about it I can't imagine them being too happy with Citi allowing this. AA's new dynamic pricing is another devaluation.
You bring up a good point here. I do wonder if AA will ultimately also hold Citi responsible for their negligence and terrible IT. They created this mess...

You bring up a good point here. I do wonder if AA will ultimately also hold Citi responsible for their negligence and terrible IT. They created this mess...
I know airlines sell points to banks and they have some kind of marriage. I have no idea how it works. .Amex and Chase don't allow this with Delta, United and Southwest. I can't really blame AA for being ticked off if they're losing money. Maybe Citi refused to take action so AA had to.

Thinking of PCing my Sw Plus to a Priority. I really should have gotten a Priority instead of the Plus. My anniversary is in Jan but not sure if my AF will hit in Jan or Feb 1.

Do I need to wait until the AF hits to PC? Or can I call in Jan to do this?

Does PCing change reset my clock for when I can go for a new card bonus? I’ll want to try for CP for 2021/2022 24 months after the bonus I got on the plus. I assume this will work. Actually, I’ll probably go for 2 biz cards if that is still an option then but don’t want to mess up the personal timing if I need that (plan b).

I am probably a week out from seeing my flight availability to Japan, based on what I have been seeing recently (right now there are award seats for the week before I want to leave).

Available cards that I have right now to pay the fees with:

CIP
Amex Hilton Biz
Citi AA

Do I need to have the card I paid the fees with still open at time of travel? I had not planned to have any of these exact cards by the time November rolls around...

This is directed at PA/NJ folks - how is the weather there in late March? I'll probably be renting a car, is it hard to find parking for an SUV like a Toyota RAV4 or should I stick with a smaller car like a Hyundai Elantra?
So it really depends on if you're North or South and what phase of cosmic alignment is going on, March can be crazy. Late March could have snow or we can be in the 60s. Other than we get precipitation of some type starting March, I don't find it consistent. If you're in the north half it's more likely to be snow and still cool. Personally I count March in with winter because it's just unpredictable. Some years we're shoveling snow and others we got the t-shirts and windbreakers out heading down the shore.

A small SUV like the RAV4 should be ok, if you're doing city driving/parking I would not do bigger. Despite everyone driving humongous cars I find most spaces tight in mid to large size SUVs/trucks. I'd get whichever you're more comfortable with. I think that's more important. I used to drive a roller skate all year round and did just as well if not better than some SUVs, but I was comfortable with that. (And I don't live in the Poconos or Erie :laughing: ) Driving in an unfamiliar place I like familiar equipment. Which is why I'm the oddball that would turn down rental upgrades in some cities. I'm more comfortable driving my small car down small streets and parking garages, meanwhile others are driving Suburbans with the same ease. (and they'd probably be uncomfortable in my roller skate :p )

Conversation continues HERE regarding a certain train derailment. I would continue to check back as it is evolving daily. I hate to be all negative but there has been no good news at any time during this saga.
Ugh. I have two nights at RPR booked through AA for the end of the month and this is making me nervous.

I am probably a week out from seeing my flight availability to Japan, based on what I have been seeing recently (right now there are award seats for the week before I want to leave).

Available cards that I have right now to pay the fees with:

CIP
Amex Hilton Biz
Citi AA

Do I need to have the card I paid the fees with still open at time of travel? I had not planned to have any of these exact cards by the time November rolls around...

Yes If you had to use the cards travel insurance it would need to be open in November when you travel

I'm cracking up with the wrapping paper talk.

Dh: why are we buying all of this clearance wrapping paper? And bags, bows, etc
Me: because it about killed me to pay full price this year
Dh: but do we need these ones with the neon dots and stripes?
Me: yes we can use those for birthdays all year!
:rotfl:

I'm always looking for clearance gift card holders tho. DHS family uses a lot of those.

Also I came from a family that refused bags forever. My grandma even refolded tissue which my mom drew the line at. But I'm pretty sure we had bags from my baby shower still. I keep all the ones I get typically, but.... mil throws them away a lot unless this was like their first use. :scared: So only dollar store or clearance gift bags for DHs family!!

DD missed her flight home from college yesterday because she had a nasty bug (or likely ate bad food).

Fortunately, I'd booked her flight home on points 1 way so her return flight home is still good (whew).

Also, I got her a room at the Hyatt so more Hyatt points for me AND was able to pay for her checked bag fee and seat selection with my Amex credit (on AA-I had them for all of the US3 on different cards) so used up $91 of my last $100 credit. I'm trying to look at the bright side since booking last minute around the holidays was not cheap (so more MRs).

Anyway, I'm thankful for this hobby which allowed me to not stress as much about the logistics of a cancelled flight, new flight and need for a hotel room in Boston.

from what I've read the people were making fake FF accounts to get codes sent to their address in different names things like that to get the referral codes. and they were opening an account every 60 days citi just didn't have anything in place to block
one mile at a time posted about it.

Yesterday I posted that I called for a retention offer on my Amex Platinum and was offered 20K for $3000 spend. My initial thoughts were that I would cancel but now I am having second thoughts as I would like to get more Amex in the future. The Platinum was my first Amex (got it last Nov), since then I also got a the Bonvoy Biz (was SPG when I got it-right before that changed) and a Hilton Biz. Yesterday I applied and was approved for the Blue Business plus so I had a place for my MR's and it sounds like this is just a good card to have with the no annual fee.

I was able to use the Uber credit a couple months -really only when we travel. Our flights usually connect in Chicago so no lounge access there. Of course the airline fee is harder to use now.
Not sure if I should just suck it up and keep it another year for the 20K or PC to the Amex green and miss out on the bonus points for that or cancel and roll the dice that I won't tick Amex off?

The only Amex my P2 has is a Hilton Biz- tried to apply for Aspire and got the pop up. He has had the Biz since Aug and has put significant spend on it -got the free weekend night for $15K spend so a little perplexed about that!

from what I've read the people were making fake FF accounts to get codes sent to their address in different names things like that to get the referral codes. and they were opening an account every 60 days citi just didn't have anything in place to block
one mile at a time posted about it.

OMAAT (Ben "Lucky" Schlappig) admitted he doesn't know all the facts, and is going based off his (mis)understanding of the situation. If he doesn't know what's going on, he should have kept his mouth shut instead of taking a side and coming off like a mouthpiece for the airline. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the shutdowns other than multiple AA SUBs. Maybe AA has figured out some perimeters by now, maybe not. While some people were indeed signing up their pets and potted plants for AA accounts to generate targeted mailers, others were just using mailers with no nontransferability or timing restriction language from actual family and friends who didn't plan to use them, and others were only signing up for publicly available offers.

While I generally like OMAAT, the whole piece is incredulous coming from Lucky. This is a guy who cut his teeth in the miles game exploiting United to the point his MileagePlus account was permanently suspended.
“I mean, how do you define ‘taking advantage of’?” Schlappig asks... “Was I seriously inconvenienced to the tune of $200 every time my audio wasn’t working? No. But they create the system.”

Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free - Rolling Stone

Last edited:
Yesterday I posted that I called for a retention offer on my Amex Platinum and was offered 20K for $3000 spend. My initial thoughts were that I would cancel but now I am having second thoughts as I would like to get more Amex in the future. The Platinum was my first Amex (got it last Nov), since then I also got a the Bonvoy Biz (was SPG when I got it-right before that changed) and a Hilton Biz. Yesterday I applied and was approved for the Blue Business plus so I had a place for my MR's and it sounds like this is just a good card to have with the no annual fee.

I was able to use the Uber credit a couple months -really only when we travel. Our flights usually connect in Chicago so no lounge access there. Of course the airline fee is harder to use now.
Not sure if I should just suck it up and keep it another year for the 20K or PC to the Amex green and miss out on the bonus points for that or cancel and roll the dice that I won't tick Amex off?

The only Amex my P2 has is a Hilton Biz- tried to apply for Aspire and got the pop up. He has had the Biz since Aug and has put significant spend on it -got the free weekend night for $15K spend so a little perplexed about that!

If you want to keep in the good graces of Amex which it sounds like you are now I would definitely retain the Plat this year. If you do that and keep spending on all your cards slow and steady you will be in a good position to not get the pop up. Since you don’t have a long history with Amex just the one cancellation of the Plat could start denials. Make the spend on the retention on your BBP and then you could get the Green...and whatever other Amex card you may want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter