I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always buy medical insurance (at a minimum) when we leave the country, and then I hope that that plus the CSR are enough to cover anything that might happen.
Where do you usually get your medical insurance? I've bought full travel insurance but it's not always necessary. However I always like to have med evac.

@sinnika or anyone else who has Venture X, wondering if there's any way to use credits to pay the AF? A little FOMO and finished spend on current card, so looking for new but not wanting to pay $400.

Any recommendations for NYC with 11 and 15 yo boys? Last minute work trip next week, kids on spring break so trying to squeeze in some fun. Stay at midtown? Any good points exchanges?

@sinnika or anyone else who has Venture X, wondering if there's any way to use credits to pay the AF? A little FOMO and finished spend on current card, so looking for new but not wanting to pay $400.
I do not see that option in mine. It would also take 40000 of your points, so maybe then you would just want the 60k Venture card?
Oddly it does give me the option to use points for the $298 flight I booked and used the travel credit for, so it appears you can make money on that?

from what i remember it wasnt a good value at all like .6 cents a point. im not sure on the new portal.
Anyone have a recommendation as to the best/cheapest place to buy SeaWorld and/or Universal Orlando tickets?

Thanks!

Need some advice from biz class fliers please! Which seats should I choose for Air France A350-900, 2 adults and 2 kids, ages 8 and 12. It's a red-eye, so we'll be sleeping most of the flight. But it's our first flight in biz class and the kids like to do things together, like play games and show each other. Kids will probs be awake for like 3 hours at the beginning of the flight. Right now we are along the side in J and L. But I'm wondering if the kids will feel more together in D3 and H3? E2 and G2 are blocked for bassinet, so I can try to shift there at check-in only.

View attachment 653254

View attachment 653260
Yeah, from your photo, it looks like D and H would actually be ideal since the big flat surface of the two seats adjoin and make a table of sorts between the two seats when the partition is retracted. As a side note, I'm a little confused as to where the parents of the bassinet baby are sitting since it looks like the surrounding seats are available. :confused: I know I would pick the farthest seats away from the baby (I mean as a passenger, not the parent!), but that's just me.:laughing:

Just wanted to add my PSA on trip insurance. I am a big advocate of buying trip medical insurance when traveling internationally. Here's our story:

My husband and niece were once hospitalized in Mexico. In order to even get out of the ambulance, the hospital required we put down a $4,000 deposit on our credit card. When we first arrived, I was pleased to see security at the entrance. That same security ensures you've paid your bill in full before you leave. During our hospital stay we met many American and Canadian families without insurance coverage who were facing bills in the tens of thousands of dollars. My husband (healthy man in his 30s) lost 20 lbs in a matter of about 10 days.This was a case of noro/roto virus which caused such illness- imagine if it was a heart attack, car injury, or something more? Upon returning to the U.S., he required multiple procedures and eventually a surgery to address a complication of the sickness he encountered (this portion was covered by our normal US group health insurance because we were in the US). Over the years, I’ve filed 3 claims with various travel insurance companies and it is ALWAYS a hassle, but I’ve always been glad to have the coverage.

My advice is to always know what your normal US health insurance covers while you are traveling. We ALWAYS buy a travel medical insurance policy and make sure that it is PRIMARY insurance. I try to buy one that has a primary benefit of at least $100,000 per person and a medevac benefit of $1m. I tend to use a site that offers multiple plans and allows you to see reviews. That site is blocked here but if you search for "compare & buy trip insurance" you'll likely find it.

While the CSR advertizes something like $10,000 coverage, the medical portion is something like $2,500 (at least that's what it looks like from a brief read through here). Even if it is 10,000, that won't cover a surgery, heart attack, etc.

Just my two cents...

I second this (or third etc). We were on a cruise and my son was playing basketball and fell and broke his wrist in 2 places. Cruise Dr did xrays and put a temp cast one. Next day they took us to hospital in Mexico. There they had to rebreak the bone and then put a permanent cast on. We also had to pay before we left. Filed the claim when back home and everything was covered. I always get 3rd party trip insurance on cruises.

Good morning!

I've lurked on this thread quite a bit and am now coming with a question! I think I've finally convinced my DH to stop using a debit card for everything and start putting his everyday expenses on a CC that can be paid off each month. I keep telling him that he might as well be getting *something* in return for spending his money. Can anyone recommend a good all-around credit card for this? As far as I know, he has good credit (pays mortgage, loans, and truck on time each month). He currently only has a credit card through his credit union that has a good low interest rate, but no benefits whatsoever.

I currently have Chase Amazon, Chase Freedom, Chase Southwest, and Chase Freedom Unlimited (got it when it was Slate) and a Discover It card. If I'm able to refer him and gain some kind of bonus for that, even better.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Welcome former lurker! Good job getting your DH to be open to getting some returns on his spending. You have good options for having him apply through one of your links. One question I have is: are you anywhere close to getting a SW companion pass and is that of interest to you? If so, you could probably get 20K RRs from him applying for a SW card using your link. (I just did this in order to get my DH over the hump for a SW CP.) If not, then probably the Freedom Unlimited (since the Freedom isn't available for new applications anymore) or Freedom Flex would be good for starting out since there's no annual fee and the SUB is $200 for $500 spend on both so that's a nice introduction to how using cc can be rewarding. Both are also offering 5% back on gas purchases up to $6000 spent in the first year, which might be appealing.

Does anyone know if the Chase new account bonus tracker takes into account pending transactions? My stmt is closing soon, and I'm close to meeting the second tier MSR on my SW card which will get me a CP, but with several credits it's hard to tell how they're getting their number. I show I'm a lot shorter than what the tracker shows. I have till Nov to meet it, but I'd like to get my CP soon and add to some existing flights. Trying to decide how much spending I really have left. TIA!

I think the tracker doesn't move until the charge posts. Chase counts refunds and credits though. But I would make up the refunds down the line.

DP for support link RRs posting: applied 2/26 and the 20K RRs are pending as of 3/9 (must have gone pending Tuesday night because they weren't there Tuesday morning). So with the next closing statement of 3/15, DH will have a SW CP soon! Good thing because I have flights planned the following week. :) This will be for '22-'23; we've had a CP nonstop since 2014 (except for the past two weeks since mine expired on 2/28 from that special promo in October). He got the tiered 100K personal card in November and my support sent him over the 125K threshold.

Does anyone know if you can still purchase Universal Orlando and/or SeaWorld tickets using Chase Points? I have been searching the portal and cannot find it. Thanks in advance!!
Anyone have a recommendation as to the best/cheapest place to buy SeaWorld and/or Universal Orlando tickets?

Thanks!

I think the option went away when Chase went back to cxLoyalty from Expedia for their travel portal. :(

Undercover Tourist usually has good prices on theme park tickets.

Back from Mexico.....I'll have to share all the info once I'm caught back up at school, LOL. But after back to back trips where the Hilton Diamond status spoiled me....I can't go back, LOL.

I have to say, w/ all the testing talk, it's a joke! We flew there/back using Spirit (so I got to save my Delta miles). On the way back we showed the gate agent our letter from the doctor about being positive back in Jan and cleared to travel and our positive tests from Jan. She looked all of 2 seconds and then had us fill out the form that they stapled to our boarding pass. Our resort did offer free testing, but I was worried I might still be positive, and then didn't know if somehow that's shared and I'd get stuck, LOL.

This was my first trip using my passport. I can get into Canada w/ my license. And the times I've been to Mexico prior was in the 90's LOL. The all inclusive was great! We managed to get the upgrade to an ocean front swim up room. We were 1 room away from the swim up bar which the BF loved, LOL. While there he looked to see where his points stand. He has some Hilton and Marriott from when he flew corporate and got to keep his stays, LOL. He also wants my Diamond status, LOL. I told him between his flight bennies and my hotel points/FNC we make a great team, LOL. Now to restock my hilton points! I'm only at 330k now, LOL.

For those experienced with using the AMEX hotel collection benefits: We'll be checking in to the Dolphin tomorrow booked with the $200 Platinum promo. The benefits include $100 towards dining, spa and resort activities. Any chance the parking fees will credit? Do I need to use the AMEX card for room charges in order to get the $100 credit?
Booked through Amex travel Hotel Collection. If you book 2 nights (prepaid)you get a $200 statement credit. They offer a benefit for the Hotel collection of $100 towards dining, spa and select resort activities.
We booked two nights on DH’s card, 2 on mine.
For the Fine resorts option, you only need to book one night to get the $200. Key is you must choose the prepaid booking.
Thanks for posting about this and for the explanation. The Dolphin came up in one of my searches for the one-night "fine resorts" credit, but it looked a little strange so I chatted and they emphatically told me it was not eligible for the $200 credit, etc. Maybe the trick is the prepaid booking? But just to confirm ... you have received the credit on your statement?

Ok recent London travelers, best way to get a covid test for return flight from London? Proctored home kit?
We have been exclusively using the eMed proctored tests. It comes in a six pack and can be used for multiple travelers. It's $150+ shipping. I think you are 3 travelers, so that might be cost prohibitive. But, for others interested, what I do like about it is that you can do it from your hotel room or airbnb with a wifi connection. Test takes 15 and results are delivered to your email and app in 15 minutes. We've used it in Iceland and Mexico easily. They deliver rather quickly, some I am hoping to wait a bit to see if the testing requirement gets dropped.

For another trip in Mexico we did the on-site resort testing and that was fast and easy as well, but we had to schedule an appointment and work our day around that appointment, so I didn't really care for that.

https://www.emed.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQi...FIhCWyI4ccI17iDr8--RfiICClNihgXAaAqSAEALw_wcB
I filed a claim with my insurance company for the proctored tests, (they provide a prescription and billing info to submit to insurance) but I haven't heard anything yet.
TBH, the price for Optum is $70 for 2, but you're right I only need 3 tests. Qured seems the best option at $35 pp. Anyone use them?
See I'm so torn on this. We leave in 18 days so I have a bit of time. Do I just get 2 tests each "just in case" or 4 total which is one extra, or just go with 3 and have to find a local test if something goes wrong. Ugh. Such silly dilemmas
I travel frequently between the USA and UK as our daughter has been over there for Uni and her masters the past 4 years We've used a number of different companies for testing. But since the US implemented the day before requirement, we've always used the Abbott eMED tests and never had a problem. I *always* travel with extras as i read too many stories on FlyerTalk (there is a thread devoted to the tests) about problems. We personally have never had problems, but it isn't too hard to pack and extra couple of tests. We have never had a problem getting someone to answer--5 minutes has been max. It does take a while to do more than one test, but we've learned to toggle on our laptops (the second person starts during the 15 minute wait). My daughter has used Quered a couple of times (she can't get the abbott tests in the UK), but I don't like that you have to make an appointment ahead of time and you are subject to their times. With eMed you can do it when you want. Just remember to download the apps while in the USA. I really wish the US would get rid of the test. I"m heading back in April, and I'm not looking forward to the hassle.

Federal transportation mask mandate extended one month, through April 18
I flew on Sunday and both the gate agents and the flight attendant, when making mask announcements mentioned their hope it was "just one more week".

UGH! I know they all want it gone! It was actually a question asked in the last company meeting for Spirit since it was set to expire 3/18. Our FA commented that they want it gone as much as we do. I'm sure more so! Since they are wearing them 12+ hours. I know I was over the moon last week to stop wearing them at school. I joked my BF must really love me to sit in the back and have to wear one on our flight vs sit on the flight deck where they don't have to.

Thanks for posting about this and for the explanation. The Dolphin came up in one of my searches for the one-night "fine resorts" credit, but it looked a little strange so I chatted and they emphatically told me it was not eligible for the $200 credit, etc. Maybe the trick is the prepaid booking? But just to confirm ... you have received the credit on your statement?

Fine Hotels and Resorts is a black box next to the hotel picture and Hotel Collection is a blue box. If the area next to the picture is white, then it is neither. A 1 night stay at the Dolphin should come up white as far as I've seen.

If you do see the Dolphin with a 1 night stay come up with a FHR label and a black box, you can try booking it (assuming it's a refundable rate). If the charge comes through Fine Hotels and Resorts you'll get the credit.

As far as I know, Hotel Collection would only come up if there's a 2 night stay. Those post as Hotel Collection and you would get the credit too. Hotels that are neither post as Amex Travel, those don't work for the hotel credit.

ETA: It does need to be prepaid because otherwise the charge would come from the hotel and not Amex.

Last edited:
What's a P2?
I would not qualify for a biz card otherwise I would try that.
What is a DP?
Thanks for the info about "jail"! Who knew??!

P2 is Player 2 and DP is data point. There's a list of abbreviations on the 5th post of this thread. :)

The business doesn't need to be anything formal. A lot of side gigs can count. Resale is a popular category here. You'd apply as a sole proprietor and use your name as the business name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter