I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we decide on someone to create the 2023 thread? Not that we wouldn't welcome @SouthFayetteFan to do it but he hasn't popped in even when we've tagged him. I imagine he's happily spending time with his family and occasionally thinking fondly of his time here. Also since the reddit threads haven't been refreshed in a long time.

@Albort are you the only one active that's also a mod there? Should/can we add more mods in case we need it.
@gottalovepluto and @miztressuz are still around and active. Ill have to see who wants to do what or if anyone wants to, do let us know...

If those flights are actually 60k one way you don't want to use miles, that's awful. I can do SEA to MCO between 20 and 40k one way depending on saver etc.

Are you looking at 1st class? Random june main is 30 and 1st is 60. Their first class isn't worth 60k either esp when you can fly main rt for that.
Dang it, I meant 60K round trip with miles. Our dates are 30K each way.
Try BA. i booked some Hawaii flights with BA on AS.
I will look at that - thank you!

Dang it, I meant 60K round trip with miles. Our dates are 30K each way

That's their reg mileage price for those flights. Looks like the 20k is the saver fare. Looking in Oct to get an idea, only other price I saw was 12.5 one way but had 2 stops. But they don't have a transfer partner that isn't a bad value and convoluted.

I'd look into alborts suggestion. Even getting the cards to use the conpanion pass you'd still be stuck with miles you may not use, not sure it'd be a good use of a 5/24 slot. But if you had a use then it could make sense.

That's their reg mileage price for those flights. Looks like the 20k is the saver fare. Looking in Oct to get an idea, only other price I saw was 12.5 one way but had 2 stops. But they don't have a transfer partner that isn't a bad value and convoluted.

I'd look into alborts suggestion. Even getting the cards to use the conpanion pass you'd still be stuck with miles you may not use, not sure it'd be a good use of a 5/24 slot. But if you had a use then it could make sense.

Totally agree with you on the 5/24 slot. The rest of them aren't worried about that, but I definitely think about it for DH and me.

Should we decide on someone to create the 2023 thread? Not that we wouldn't welcome @SouthFayetteFan to do it but he hasn't popped in even when we've tagged him. I imagine he's happily spending time with his family and occasionally thinking fondly of his time here. Also since the reddit threads haven't been refreshed in a long time.

@Albort are you the only one active that's also a mod there? Should/can we add more mods in case we need it.
The reddit threads were refreshed so often mostly because there was a setting that auto archived them every 6 months. But that changed and the traffic there decreased so we didn't do a refresh this year. But it has been a year, so they're about due. Also open to any suggestions for how to organize the private reddit. If this is working for everyone then we can just copy the format and refresh for the new year.

I've been trying to keep up here myself. I started a new job over the summer - which is awesome! - but kicking my butt. I can't imagine @SouthFayetteFan with the house, baby, and maintaining the South Fayette Football game streak! But unless someone else wants to do the 2023 thread here, I can do an update in a few days.

So when I search BA for STL to SEA, nothing is showing up. Does that mean nothing is available, or do I need to do something else?

Thanks!

if your flexible, you can look around on other dates. if its a specific date, then either there isnt any savers or they probably holding onto the seats until a later date.

i checked a random date, it was like 22k RT in Y.

The reddit threads were refreshed so often mostly because there was a setting that auto archived them every 6 months. But that changed and the traffic there decreased so we didn't do a refresh this year. But it has been a year, so they're about due. Also open to any suggestions for how to organize the private reddit. If this is working for everyone then we can just copy the format and refresh for the new year.

I've been trying to keep up here myself. I started a new job over the summer - which is awesome! - but kicking my butt. I can't imagine @SouthFayetteFan with the house, baby, and maintaining the South Fayette Football game streak! But unless someone else wants to do the 2023 thread here, I can do an update in a few days.
Thanks for offering to do the 2023 thread in a few days.

Private reddit format is working well for me.

One suggestion I have is it might be nice if we collectively agreed on a standard response re reddit when someone new comes to the board asking for advice. That first inquiry is probably the best time to mention reddit and supporting this community through support links. I personally struggle a little with this verbiage and never want to sound self-serving, so maybe if we have a standard phrase, it would help get that message out there?

Does anyone have the Thrifty Traveler Premium plan? Says it’s $149 and I want to know if you think it’s worth the money.
I do have it, but paid a significantly reduced rate and was grandfathered into the Premium plan.

15 alerts in the past 7 days
10 cash alerts
5 points alerts
6 were for biz class

I do agree it's best for someone who is very open to different travel locations. It would not be worth it if you were trying to score good deals to only Germany. I think it alerts for a variety of time periods, both close in and up to a year out. I think the info it provides is spot on for points bookings, as far as best program to book with, taxes/fees, transfer partners, etc. That is super helpful.

Here's a partial snippet of what an alert looks like:

1672291238267.png

I do have it, but paid a significantly reduced rate and was grandfathered into the Premium plan.

10 cash alerts
5 points alerts
6 were for biz class

I do agree it's best for someone who is very open to different travel locations. It would not be worth it if you were trying to score good deals to only Germany. I think it alerts for a variety of time periods, both close in and up to a year out. I think the info it provides is spot on for points bookings, as far as best program to book with, taxes/fees, transfer partners, etc. That is super helpful.

View attachment 728174
Is this similar to Spencer Howard and Straight to the Point?

10 cash alerts
5 points alerts
6 were for biz class

View attachment 728174
Thanks so much for the info! Yes all of my travels have been to Germany Houston to Frankfurt to visit my daughter who is stationed there and our grandson and SIL. I’ve managed to get 17 one way flights across the pond for myself and other family members since accumulating points with Chase starting in 2019 and transferring to United. I was able to gift 3 one way tickets back to Germany after my daughter’s leave ended on December 27 this year. I prefer nonstops and live near Houston so at the moment United is what works best for me. I’m going to Germany again in early April for the birth of our second grandson and will stay for at least 1 month, maybe longer. I can usually find last minute tickets to Frankfurt for 30,000 points one way in economy and occasionally 60,000 points for lie flat seats in biz.

I have Southwest booked for tomorrow to get to a cruise in FLL. Every day this week that particular flight has been cancelled. I wake up this morning to see that every single flight to FLL from my airport on Southwest tomorrow is still ON. I can’t rebook on another airline and it’s a 17 hour drive. I WILL make my cruise. Flight arrives evening before cruise boarding. Question is: at this point do I trust Southwest to get me there or start driving after work tonight? Just asking for what you would do, but I think I’m leaning toward driving anyway. Got everything packed.

I have Southwest booked for tomorrow to get to a cruise in FLL. Every day this week that particular flight has been cancelled. I wake up this morning to see that every single flight to FLL from my airport on Southwest tomorrow is still ON. I can’t rebook on another airline and it’s a 17 hour drive. I WILL make my cruise. Flight arrives evening before cruise boarding. Question is: at this point do I trust Southwest to get me there or start driving after work tonight? Just asking for what you would do, but I think I’m leaning toward driving anyway. Got everything packed.
That’s a tough one. Up until this week, SW has been so reliable but I certainly wouldn’t want to miss the cruise.

What is everyone spending the AmEx Dell Biz Plat credits on? I am running out of ideas.

Last edited:
I’d drive as I wouldn’t want to miss the cruise.

FlightAware has 39 WN flights canceled tomorrow, coming in at 0%. Hey, maybe it’s true and they’ll be back at 100% tomorrow and won’t blow up again- but it’s not a risk I would take.

If your weather looks ok for the drive, go for it. Safe travels!

Hopefully, by this afternoon, you will have a better idea of how things are looking for Southwest tomorrow.

That said, not I sure trust SW to get you and your luggage to FLL at the moment so if driving conditions look good, I think I'd be jumping in the car.

Handy chart direct from Southwest on qualifying vs non-qualifying activity here. If you're going with shopping or dining, I'd definitely spend today or tomorrow. I've gotten burned by the order being placed, but not being charged or transaction clearing until a few days later. Good luck!

Edited to add screenshots since the link is going wonky...
View attachment 728109

View attachment 728110

Will buying the points I need get me over the top for the companion pass?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter