I missed the SW 60k offer

SW maevens - another question. What happens to your early bird seating payment if you cancel and re-book a flight? Does it get refunded, then you re-pay, or can you somehow apply that as well? I know the early bird payment is separate from the flight.

Thanks!

SW maevens - another question. What happens to your early bird seating payment if you cancel and re-book a flight? Does it get refunded, then you re-pay, or can you somehow apply that as well? I know the early bird payment is separate from the flight.

Thanks!
Early bird funds are lost if you cancel the flight. If I need to make a change on an already booked flight, I make the change online if I can. If not, I call SW to have them make the adjustment. So like last year, we decided to fly to Tampa instead of Orlando, I called to make the change since I already had paid for EBCI and I couldn't make the change online. I never cancel if I can avoid it since that's $15 or $30 I am losing and then would need to re-purchase it.

Early bird funds are lost if you cancel the flight. If I need to make a change on an already booked flight, I make the change online if I can. If not, I call SW to have them make the adjustment. So like last year, we decided to fly to Tampa instead of Orlando, I called to make the change since I already had paid for EBCI and I couldn't make the change online. I never cancel if I can avoid it since that's $15 or $30 I am losing and then would need to re-purchase it.

Yes and if you've added your companion and paid for their early bird, you will not be able to do it online. Even if you haven't paid for their early bird. Once you add your companion to your flight, if you want to make any change without calling, you have to drop them off that flight first. Only do this if you haven't paid for early bird for them otherwise you'll lose that money!

I'm constantly checking for fare drops. It's a pain to have to call to get the refund, but better than waiting to add your companion and their early bird.

I'm constantly checking for fare drops. It's a pain to have to call to get the refund, but better than waiting to add your companion and their early bird.

If the fare drops, can you just call and ask them to refund you the difference? I was thinking you'd have to cancel and then rebook.

If the fare drops, can you just call and ask them to refund you the difference? I was thinking you'd have to cancel and then rebook.

Yup, you call and they refund the difference. If you haven't added a companion, most of the time you can do it yourself online. Just go to "change flight" and go through that process and you'll get the refund. It is a possibility when you call they may not see the same fare you see online, but I haven't had that problem. I only book on points so I say refund, but if anyone is paying not using points, it will be a travel credit.

Yes. If paying with points, the difference will automatically be returned to your account.

Yup, you call and they refund the difference. If you haven't added a companion, most of the time you can do it yourself online. Just go to "change flight" and go through that process and you'll get the refund. It is a possibility when you call they may not see the same fare you see online, but I haven't had that problem. I only book on points so I say refund, but if anyone is paying not using points, it will be a travel credit.

Yes. If paying with points, the difference will automatically be returned to your account.

Y'all rock! Thank you for your help!

Finally got my 1/1/18 card points too. Maybe all of our complaining finally made someone realize they'd missed a day! No I just need to wait for tomorrow for my last new card to post and I should have my CP all taken care of.

Finally got my 1/1/18 card points too. Maybe all of our complaining finally made someone realize they'd missed a day! No I just need to wait for tomorrow for my last new card to post and I should have my CP all taken care of.
Yay!!!!

Okay, after a week or two of fretting, our SW RR points finally posted to the SW Plus and Premier cards that I talked DH into opening (I already had them), along with the companion pass! I already booked a Vero Beach trip with the points and companion pass. The CP has an expiration date of December 31, 2019 so it looks like everything worked out according to plan. Thanks to all of the advice on these boards! I am open to suggestions for maximizing the points and CP. I think we are all waiting for SW to announce flights to Hawaii.

Last edited:
Okay, after a week or two of fretting, our SW RR points finally posted to the SW Plus and Premier cards that I talked DH into opening (I already had them), along with the companion pass! I already booked a Vero Beach trip with the points and companion pass. The CP has a expiration date of December 31, 2019 so it looks like everything worked out according to plan. Thanks to all of the advice on these boards! I am open to suggestions for maximizing the points and CP. I think we are all waiting for SW to announce flights to Hawaii.

Count me in as waiting/hoping for Hawaii for this summer!

Okay, after a week or two of fretting, our SW RR points finally posted to the SW Plus and Premier cards that I talked DH into opening (I already had them), along with the companion pass! I already booked a Vero Beach trip with the points and companion pass. The CP has a expiration date of December 31, 2019 so it looks like everything worked out according to plan. Thanks to all of the advice on these boards! I am open to suggestions for maximizing the points and CP. I think we are all waiting for SW to announce flights to Hawaii.

Can I ask about the Companion Pass: did you get an email that said you now qualify & how long after the points posted did you get the email? My second card closes next week & just want to know what to expect. Thanks!

And yep, I'm waiting for info on Hawaii too. I have never seriously considered going there, but for free......yea, that would make a big difference! :goodvibes

Thanks to all of the advice on these boards! I am open to suggestions for maximizing the points and CP. I think we are all waiting for SW to announce flights to Hawaii.

Yeah- I owe everyone here a big thank you as well. I've learned so much, and have already reaped some pretty good rewards!

I thought the announcement on Hawaii said it would start in 2019?
If you live in California, it starts in 2018.

Count me in the "I want to go to Hawaii" crowd! Second card closes in a few days. Can't wait to see the CP show up on the account!!

If you live in California, it starts in 2018.

Count me in the "I want to go to Hawaii" crowd! Second card closes in a few days. Can't wait to see the CP show up on the account!!

You meant that flights will begin out of California, not that you must live in California, right? We live on the East coast but plan to fly to California before picking up another flight to Hawaii.

Can I ask about the Companion Pass: did you get an email that said you now qualify & how long after the points posted did you get the email? My second card closes next week & just want to know what to expect. Thanks!

And yep, I'm waiting for info on Hawaii too. I have never seriously considered going there, but for free......yea, that would make a big difference! :goodvibes
I did not get an e-mail. I went into "my account" and my dashboard's pie chart that tracks progress toward a CP showed that I had earned one. Then I had to assign it to someone.

You meant that flights will begin out of California, not that you must live in California, right? We live on the East coast but plan to fly to California before picking up another flight to Hawaii.
They will begin from the West Coast. Not sure if that includes Washington State and Oregon. I live in Boston and would break up the trip anyway because my husband can't handle more than a 5 hour flight. "Beat of Hawaii" indicates flights will "probably" begin Summer 2018 and may include Las Vegas and Phoenix in addition to San Diego, Los Angeles,San Jose, Oakland and Sacramento, I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter