I missed the SW 60k offer

If I book a flight with the earned rapid rewards points from the credit card offer, will I still earn more points to my SW rewards on my travel? I’m curious if that’s true because that would be great to be able to use points yet still earn points for the same travel. I hope they don’t only give points when you purchase with $. I’m new to this!

If I book a flight with the earned rapid rewards points from the credit card offer, will I still earn more points to my SW rewards on my travel? I’m curious if that’s true because that would be great to be able to use points yet still earn points for the same travel. I hope they don’t only give points when you purchase with $. I’m new to this!
No. Flights booked with points don’t earn rewards.

I broke down and called this morning. Totally useless. Got the runaround from both Southwest and Chase. Southwest says they don't have a record of the transfer, Chase says the transfer has happened. Both say that it can take up to 30 days, just wait a little longer. Super frustrating.

I broke down and called this morning. Totally useless. Got the runaround from both Southwest and Chase. Southwest says they don't have a record of the transfer, Chase says the transfer has happened. Both say that it can take up to 30 days, just wait a little longer. Super frustrating.
I am totally with you! I tried via Twitter and it was useless! I really think they lost the 1/1/18 transactions because all of the others have posted. I even offered to send them my statement so they could post the points. Definitely not very happy with SW at this point.

I am totally with you! I tried via Twitter and it was useless! I really think they lost the 1/1/18 transactions because all of the others have posted. I even offered to send them my statement so they could post the points. Definitely not very happy with SW at this point.

That's a cheerful thought. Hopefully enough people will have the issue that someone will escalate it and figure out what has gone wrong. Seems like all the other activity is posting pretty normally.

Oh, man!! That's a bummer. You might try their Facebook page. I've had success posting on business' FB with my complaint when no other channels produced results.

Oh, man!! That's a bummer. You might try their Facebook page. I've had success posting on business' FB with my complaint when no other channels produced results.
I did that last night and didn’t get a response.

I just tried an email today - it's my 1/1/18 statement that isn't showing up - must be a glitch with that date

I just tried an email today - it's my 1/1/18 statement that isn't showing up - must be a glitch with that date
I tried email also. No response. Twitter seems to be the only thing they are responding to. I just wish they would be honest and say hey we lost those transactions and are working to resolve it. Instead of the bull crap that it could take up to 30 days and it’s the holidays. That’s ridiculous since all of the other transactions have posted.

I tried email also. No response. Twitter seems to be the only thing they are responding to. I just wish they would be honest and say hey we lost those transactions and are working to resolve it. Instead of the bull crap that it could take up to 30 days and it’s the holidays. That’s ridiculous since all of the other transactions have posted.

In your communications with them, did you say that you thought there was an issue with statements issued on 1.1 specifically? If it truly is isolated to one specific date, it would seem like that would be reasonable easy to fix (not that I know anything about what I'm talking about), but I'd expect that chase could just resend the 1.1.18 data file to SW.

I did just help myself freak out a little less - the flights I want in February are crazy cheap - likely an indication that there are still plenty of seats available. If I have to wait a couple of weeks and for this to get resolved, I can likely still do the flights for a reasonable number of points, even if I can't execute my master plan including swapping out our other flight with a CP (the later flights are much pricier, perhaps indicating less availability?)

No. Flights booked with points don’t earn rewards.

If you use Chase Ultimate Rewards points to book Southwest via phone from UR, you'll earn points through Southwest via your Rapid Rewards number. Just a friendly reminder for those that have bunches of UR points and wanted to actually earn points using them. Love the 1st quarter 5% bonus, the wife will get hers via paying the Att/Directv bill. Checking to see if it covers new phones via our provideed for my bonus. Time to ditch our several years old S6s.

My response that I got was "thanks for contacting us about your Chase card, but all questions about the credit card need to be directed to chase - here are their phone numbers" Ugh, I hate canned responses.

My response that I got was "thanks for contacting us about your Chase card, but all questions about the credit card need to be directed to chase - here are their phone numbers" Ugh, I hate canned responses.
That makes no sense since Chase is not responsible for posting the points to the RR account, SW is. Every message I received from them on Twitter, FB and email was the same lame 30 day and holiday excuse.

I did end up booking my and DH’s flights to Cancun for summer vacation since they were so cheap and I didn’t want to risk the price increasing before the CP showed up. So I’ll add DS once the CP finally is there. Crossing my fingers that the flights are still available.

I'm still getting the run around from SW on my missing points from my card that closed on the first. But one of my new cards closed on the 16th and all of the points (and the 60K bonus points) are already in my account so that's something at least.

I'm still getting the run around from SW on my missing points from my card that closed on the first. But one of my new cards closed on the 16th and all of the points (and the 60K bonus points) are already in my account so that's something at least.
Same story here. The 1/1/18 points are still MIA. I used my points from 1/3/18 to book our summer vacation to Cancun. I just need to hope there is still availability of those flights when CP finally posts since DS doesn't currently have a ticket and we certainly aren't leaving him at home. DH asked why I went ahead purchased them but the fare was terrific and I didn't want to risk it increasing before SW got their act together with the 1/1/18 missing points. It had to be a system glitch. Heck, it shouldn't be that hard to correct. I work in Systems for the federal government and we would have easily had it resolved by now, if the customer service reps are reporting the issue to the help desk/Systems staff.

Still hanging out there with no points from the 1st. I'm guessing we won't get any resolution until after the 30 days are up and customer service reps start reporting the issue. For now, I think everyone is just spouting the script and basically ignoring the calls. Its frustrating. I won't see the CP until after they post, but I do have 60k in points from the first card to work with, which is more than enough for the cheapo flights to FL that I need, so I'm going to go ahead and book that flight today on points, and look for other ways to get value from the CP.

I've got a hypothetical I'd like to get advice on:

I have flights booked for a trip this spring (bought in September-ish). When I eventually get the CP, I will replace one of these tix, and have about $500 in reusable cash.
I have flights booked for a February trip (bought in November-ish). I could cancel this ticket, and instead re-use the $500 from the spring trip. That would leave me with $500 of travel funds that I could re-use until November-ish, right?

It doesn't make much of a difference, but could potentially give me a little longer to use the funds I get back by using the CP for one of our flights. Think it would work?

Still hanging out there with no points from the 1st. I'm guessing we won't get any resolution until after the 30 days are up and customer service reps start reporting the issue. For now, I think everyone is just spouting the script and basically ignoring the calls. Its frustrating. I won't see the CP until after they post, but I do have 60k in points from the first card to work with, which is more than enough for the cheapo flights to FL that I need, so I'm going to go ahead and book that flight today on points, and look for other ways to get value from the CP.

I've got a hypothetical I'd like to get advice on:

I have flights booked for a trip this spring (bought in September-ish). When I eventually get the CP, I will replace one of these tix, and have about $500 in reusable cash.
I have flights booked for a February trip (bought in November-ish). I could cancel this ticket, and instead re-use the $500 from the spring trip. That would leave me with $500 of travel funds that I could re-use until November-ish, right?

It doesn't make much of a difference, but could potentially give me a little longer to use the funds I get back by using the CP for one of our flights. Think it would work?

Correct, you have one year from the date of purchase to use returned funds and you have to fly by that time also. Remember the returned funds can only be used to purchase airfare for the canceled ticketholder. It is nontransfersable. So if the ticket is for A. Smith, A. Smith can only use those funds. Have the ticket prices gone up since the time your purchased them?

Last edited:
Correct, you have one year from the date of purchase to use returned funds and you have to fly by that time also. Remember the returned funds can only be used to purchase airfare for the canceled ticketholder. It is nontransfersable. So if the ticket is for A. Smith, A. Smith can only use those funds. Have the ticket prices gone up since the time your purchased them?

The prices for the spring trip are slightly higher, but not significantly. Prices for the FL trip are slightly lower than when I purchased - again, not a significant difference. My $500 in my example was just round numbers- there is a price differential between the two trips, so if I do cancel and re-book the FL trip, there will still be a little leftover cash with a September expiration date out there.

I do know about the travel funds only being applicable to the specific traveler - does make things more complicated and is worth reminding people about! On the whole, it makes more sense to free up the cash in my name because I'm more likely to be able to use the funds within the time period. So I should probably thank Southwest for the screw up because it gave me more time to reflect and come up with a better plan :cutie:.

Anyway, I was willing to spend the $$$ to take both of these trips absent points from SW, so anything I can do to save is gravy :-)

Woohoo! 1/1/18 points have finally posted (they weren’t there earlier when I checked)! Strange thing is I went an added my DS as my CP and it is showing my name instead of his so I am on the line with SW. The CSR can see his name but when she went to add him to our flight to Cancun, she can see where it says my name instead. Crazy! Good luck everyone! Hope your points are there also!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter