In your opinion, what was the ugliest car ever made?

Can't believe no one has mentioned the infamous Edsel ...
Edsel_TimeMagazine.jpg

To be honest, I think that in that particular case, the name had a lot to do with the problem. People said that the front grille looked like a toilet seat, but for a car of its time it wasn't that far out there in looks, and it had a killer engine. The name, though ....

The Edsel was named after Henry & Clara Ford's son who was named after Edsel Ruddiman, one of Henry Ford's closest childhood friends.

There were weird ones that never got off the ground like the Tucker Torpedo.

800px-Tucker_Torpedo_Brochure_c._1947.jpg

Or the Dale.

dsc07013-edit_orig.jpg

Can't believe no one has mentioned the infamous Edsel ...
Edsel_TimeMagazine.jpg

To be honest, I think that in that particular case, the name had a lot to do with the problem. People said that the front grille looked like a toilet seat, but for a car of its time it wasn't that far out there in looks, and it had a killer engine. The name, though ....
If the Edsel on the right still exists today, you are looking at a $100,000 car.

I love the Tucker torpedo....maybe too inspired by the movie about it...so many cool innovations.

The Edsel was named after Henry & Clara Ford's son who was named after Edsel Ruddiman, one of Henry Ford's closest childhood friends.
Yes, that was well known even then, and it was touching, but even at the time Ford's marketing people told the company it was a mistake. Something about that word sounds dull and staid, and the market surveys told them people hated the mere sound of it.

Definitely the Pontiac Aztec. I remember how revolutionary it was at the time having a 120V outlet in it and ads on TV even being run advertising that feature specifically. I also remember sitting in a McDonalds with my grandpa looking at one parked in the parking lot and commenting on how boxy and unattractive that car looked and the nasty look I got from someone after I said that. It must have been theirs, oops! :D

I agree with first two posters
Aztec and Gremlin

There was a time when cross-overs really looked almost identical to smaller cars but just like they took steroids or were swollen. Hated those but that was a number of companies.

Definitely the Pontiac Aztec. I remember how revolutionary it was at the time having a 120V outlet in it and ads on TV even being run advertising that feature specifically. I also remember sitting in a McDonalds with my grandpa looking at one parked in the parking lot and commenting on how boxy and unattractive that car looked and the nasty look I got from someone after I said that. It must have been theirs, oops! :D
The Aztec was marketed towards young people and those focus groups loved it. Problem was, none of them could afford it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter