• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

International travel restrictions

I have early Aug booked. The plan is to drive to SeaTac to get our flight to MCO. We haven’t cancelled, I’m going to wait & see. Right now it’s just a big unknown. And will travel insurance cover Covid? So many questions, also how will WDW handle park operations post Covid.

Our trip is scheduled for the end of August as well. We haven't cancelled, but we are preparing everyone for the fact that most likely we'll push out a year. Even if the border is open, if the US hasn't gotten this more under control we wouldn't even consider going. A vaccine may happen by next year, and that would definitely make us more comfortable. We booked flights and Canadian discount tickets (which we then upgraded) through airmiles, so I have no idea how much we're going to get back on this, but our families health is more first priority.

WestJet is only waiving change/cancellation fees on flights booked til the end of May. Our flights are August and Oct so until they include more dates in their policy, we would have to pay $100/person but taxes so I'm holding on to them until they cancel the flights.
It’s actually flights that are just booked until May 31- any flight actually flown up to I believe end of March 2021 is eligible. We’ve booked and cancelled like five flights already, lol. I can attest to the fact that there are no change fees applied.

We were actually just talking about this the other day with regards to the border being open or not. We have trips booked to Disney in late June, late August and October (which also has a cruise involved). Maybe one of you know- can the restriction be one-sided; i.e., could Canada potentially restrict or block international leisure travel but the US could allow it, so we would be able to get to Florida? In that case, we would also be allowed back into Canada as well since we are nationals.

It’s actually flights that are just booked until May 31- any flight actually flown up to I believe end of March 2021 is eligible. We’ve booked and cancelled like five flights already, lol. I can attest to the fact that there are no change fees applied.

I contacted WJ through online chat, both my flights to Orlando and LAX were booked end of February for August and October and the rep told me if I were to cancel now that I would have to pay $100 per person change fee plus taxes.

We were actually just talking about this the other day with regards to the border being open or not. We have trips booked to Disney in late June, late August and October (which also has a cruise involved). Maybe one of you know- can the restriction be one-sided; i.e., could Canada potentially restrict or block international leisure travel but the US could allow it, so we would be able to get to Florida? In that case, we would also be allowed back into Canada as well since we are nationals.

That's a good question. Trump and Trudeau worked together to shut down the border in both directions to non essential travel so I just figured they would decide together to open it back up in both directions. However, Trump seems determined to get this up and running soon so I guess it's possible it could be open to Canadians going south but not to any foreigners entering Canada?

I contacted WJ through online chat, both my flights to Orlando and LAX were booked end of February for August and October and the rep told me if I were to cancel now that I would have to pay $100 per person change fee plus taxes.

That doesn’t even make sense by their regular standards- the change fee is only $100 per person if you are within 60 days of your flight. Otherwise, it used to be $25 per person but has now been bumped up to $50 (going to USA).

I checked their page and the sneaky little badgers have updated the policy yet again. You are correct, it is now saying that existing flights can only be changed with no fee if travel is up to June. However, the fee is $50 per person and not $100 as quoted to you. New bookings incur no change or cancel fees for travel up until March of 2021.

That's a good question. Trump and Trudeau worked together to shut down the border in both directions to non essential travel so I just figured they would decide together to open it back up in both directions. However, Trump seems determined to get this up and running soon so I guess it's possible it could be open to Canadians going south but not to any foreigners entering Canada?

That is precisely what I am hoping for :). Well, honestly, I’m hoping for all of it to be back up and running smoothly, but I will take what I can get.

That doesn’t even make sense by their regular standards- the change fee is only $100 per person if you are within 60 days of your flight. Otherwise, it used to be $25 per person but has now been bumped up to $50 (going to USA).

I checked their page and the sneaky little badgers have updated the policy yet again. You are correct, it is now saying that existing flights can only be changed with no fee if travel is up to June. However, the fee is $50 per person and not $100 as quoted to you. New bookings incur no change or cancel fees for travel up until March of 2021.
Yep they are sneaky. And yes, I see they have now included flights up to June 30th. Still, if I cancel today that's $200 in change fees plus taxes. So I'm going to keep our August and Oct flights until they add them to their cancellation list. They have my money already so what's a few more weeks, right? ;-) Ultimately of course I'd rather just take the vacations as planned :)

For those in Ontario Doug Ford is going to extend the state of emergency for the next 28 days. The way he was talking today it will be awhile til we start to open the economy.

For those in Ontario Doug Ford is going to extend the state of emergency for the next 28 days. The way he was talking today it will be awhile til we start to open the economy.
I am not surprised to hear this news. Don’t get me started on how “we” (by this I mean Ontario and Canada in general, I am in Midtown Toronto) have bungled this thing. I would be surprised if they even open the economy here by July, meanwhile the rest of the world will be back to business and life as usual long before that*.

*Rant over, an 850 square foot condo is starting to seem smaller every day that this goes on :jester:

Did he mention schools? I wish they'd just close them to the end of the school year so we can either do this homeschool thing or not. My son is not enjoying the online learning and refusing to do it, but the books I bought he would consider doing (worksheets for cursive, the grade 5 curriculum and times tables basically). So far his teachers haven't really provided much for him to do any way.

My family had a face chat yesterday and were saying how we'll have a lot of missed celebrations to get together for when this is over, I joked "hopefully before thanksgiving" but deep down I wonder if I am actually joking :(

I am not surprised to hear this news. Don’t get me started on how “we” (by this I mean Ontario and Canada in general, I am in Midtown Toronto) have bungled this thing. I would be surprised if they even open the economy here by July, meanwhile the rest of the world will be back to business and life as usual long before that*.

*Rant over, an 850 square foot condo is starting to seem smaller every day that this goes on :jester:
Some things will be open by July. I don't see how we can go from gatherings of 5 or less to opening everything right back up in July. You will see restaurants bars and stores opening. I doubt parks will be opening till fall if not next year.

Some things will be open by July. I don't see how we can go from gatherings of 5 or less to opening everything right back up in July. You will see restaurants bars and stores opening. I doubt parks will be opening till fall if not next year.

Well, hope for the best, I guess.

I highly doubt the parks would delay opening until next year, but if only we all had that handy crystal ball :)!

Well, hope for the best, I guess.

I highly doubt the parks would delay opening until next year, but if only we all had that handy crystal ball :)!
Maybe not in the U.S. but here in Canada they might. I doubt Wonderland will be opening this year. If they do it will be for Winterfest.

QC Premier announced today a few more businesses allowed to open (gardening stores and lawn care services, residential contractors to finish projects due before July 31st and car mechanics). I think they wanted to wait past Easter and now that our curve looks like it's stabilizing, they are very slowly starting to decrease the pressure and restrictions on some businesses.

How can you forget about Wonderland when it's in your backyard? Winterfest is something worth going to this winter if it happens.

I can’t do coasters...my stomach is too delicate a flower :p

Good to know about winter events, though- thanks for the tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter