Is 5 too young for a rock concert?

Is 5 years old too young for a Boon Jovi concert?

• Yes - 5 Years old is too young

• No - 5 years is old enough

Results are only viewable after voting.

boomhauer

When the world gets in my face, I say - Have A Nic
Just wanted to get a few opinions on this.

I bought 3 tickets, for me, my dad and a friend to go see Bon Jovi at Gillette Stadium in July. My wife at first didn't really care to go. Now, she wants to. Our 5 year old likes Bon Jovi. However, my opinion is that 5 is WAY too young to be at a concert like that. I think he'll get antsy for one. Plus, if we take him to loud movies, he insists on wearing ear plugs.

I told my wife if she insisted on it, I would buy 2 tickets, give them to my father and friend and I would sit with her and our 5 year old in the tickets I originally bought.

What's your opinion? 5 years old - Too young for a Bon Jovi concert?

Yes and I'm about as leinent as they come when it comes to this sort of thing.

Is it an arena show? I'd actually say ok if it was an outdoor festival type show but not an arena show. Babysitter?

Oh and if he does go, I would insist on ear plugs or those head phone things I've seen Gwyeneth Paltrow's kid wearing at Coldplay concerts.

RadioNate said:
Yes and I'm about as leinent as they come when it comes to this sort of thing.

Is it an arena show? I'd actually say ok if it was an outdoor festival type show but not an arena show. Babysitter?

Not an arena. It's a stadium. That's the other thing. An arena hold about 20,000 people. The stdium holds 60,000. That's alot of people.

I'm probably in the minority, but I say not too young for Bon Jovi. There are other groups I wouldn't take my son to see, but I also wouldn't let him listen to the music either. Earplugs are a very good idea though.

We take Aiden to the local bar and grille (to the outside bar only though) to listen to the music there, Aiden is very into music, and it has given him interest in learning the guitar. He does not get bored or antsy at all. However, if your son isn't as interested in music, he might not like it as much.

When my son was 4, we went to a free concert in downtown Norfolk, VA by The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Their piano player was a rather portly gent with long white hair and a long white beard. My son said, "He looks like Santa."

I said, "That is Santa. He goes out on the road with the Thunderbirds as a way to relax in the off-season." For about the next 4 years, my son thought Santa delivered toys at Christmas, and played Rock, Rhythm and Blues piano the rest of the year. :)

Gwyneth Paltrow doesn't seem to think so!

I would take him if he's interested! I can't wait for my DD to turn 5 so she can go see Jimmy Buffett with me. Hopefully he'll still be touring then. What a great memory your son will have, going to see Bon Jovi with his parents.

No way, no how could I imagine taking my 5 yo to a rock concert.

Because:
1. It ain't the $5 movie ticket to get in...you are talking blowing another $100 on ONE ticket.
2. I think it's way too long to sustain a 5 year olds attention (and I work with them too!).
3. I think the things your child may see/hear when his/her attention is waining are going to be things you wouldn't want them to see/hear at the age of 5.
4. I think the crowds are too much for a 5 year old.
5. I think we are asking kids to grow up too fast these days anyway, why contribute to that?

Personally I think $50 is way too much money to spend on bringing a child to something you're not sure he will like (assuming you'd be opting for the cheap seats) Especially considering he doesn't like loud movies.
Leave him at home with Grandma or a babysitter and take your wife on an adult night out.

My ex took our son to see KISS when he was about 6-ish. They wiggled their way down front and one of the guys (I forgot who) threw him a guitar pick. He'll never forget that for as long as he lives. :smooth:

I say no, not because of what he might see - you can have some discretion over which situations you will allow him to view, and which ones you will remove him from.

I say no because it is a long time for a 5 year old to sit, it will probably be a late night, and that's a whole lot of money to spend on a 5 year old. Also, unless you have club seats, you might be willing to sit in the rain or the heat to see bon jovi, but it might not be all that fair to so that to a little one.

We took our 5 and 6 year olds to an indoor country concert last winter. Emily thought it was too loud (and we did bring hearing protection), and complained a lot. They both enjoyed the first act (Sara Evans), and fell asleep during the second (Brad Paisley). They spent more time asking for and eating treats than we did watching the concert.

I won't be bringing them again for a long time.

Can I go with you?

Denae

I am taking DD to Kenny Chesney, I would have no problem with Bon Jovi either. (I really dont see the f word flying around at either concert). I am bringing her ear plugs and we know that she will have a great time! I expect her to be dancing the in front of her seat and just in awe of the whole experience. We are doing a Saturday night show so she is napping in the afternoon. Good luck with your decision.

I would say you should leave him at home. I was at the Tempe Music Festival a few weeks ago, and there was a couple with 2 kids in front of us. The kids were exhausted and were trying to sleep on a blanket on the ground. Even people that weren't drunk were stepping on him, and people kept telling the parents to move the kids. They obviously weren't having fun, and if you paid the $45 entrance fee, you might as well have paid $20 more for a babysitter and enjoyed the night without having to watch the kids every 10 seconds. The behavior at concerts just isn't what I would want a 5 year old exposed to.

I have seen kids younger then 5 at all the bon jovi concerts I have been to! In fact I saw a kid who couldn't have been more then 2 at the glendale show.

I don't think five is too young for a concert! Just get some ear plugs and it will be fine. The show will most likely be 2 hours or 2 and a half if you are lucky! Do you think he will be able to pay attention that long if he knows and likes the music it might be fun for him to dance and sing along.

If you don't care about the 100 dollar price for the ticket (unless you are sitting in the nosebleeds then it would be 50 but you probably already know all of this) then I would take him.

It depends on the temperment of the child. I've taken my kids to concerts many times starting at age 7 for my oldest. As long as your child can handle the late night and not disrupt other people at the show, then I see now reason not to let him go. I would recommend bringing earplugs though.

Not if it's Bon Jovi!!! :) If they don't go, can I? :)Anyway, I've been to a ton of Bon Jovi shows and really they're pretty tame. I see young kids there all the time.

I voted yes 5 is too young, considering you were thinking about Bon Jovi. That said, I did take my oldest to a concert when she was 5. However, the concert was the Monkees, who were all over 50 by that time and about as "rock" as Raffi (love em though--I've seen them 7 times). She knew all of their songs because of me, and concerts were much cheaper in 97 than they are now (they seem to go up more every year). Oldies revival acts are one thing, but taking a kid to a show like Bon Jovi where people are likely to be passing around the "wacky weed" wouldn't be a good idea. You could explain that to a 12 year old, but not a 5 year old.
Robin M.

I voted no, but mainly because of the noise level and what you said about your son and noise.

I'm not sure how rowdy the crowds get at Bon Jovi. According to what I'm reading here, not too rowdy, which was my other concern. If that's the case, that concern is eliminated. How you spend your money isn't any business of mine.

Personally, I'd much rather that you bring me! :wave2: Please!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter