Is anyone worried that there won’t be a vaccine by next March Break?

Wow I am amazed how far in advance a lot of you book trips. Whenever I book trips its 3 months in advance. 6 months at most.

For our WDW trips we book our rooms 499ish days out, which is the earliest a room only reservation can be booked.

The flights are booked when the airline releases the dates for booking which is about 11 months out +/-.

Our cruises we book on opening day if possible. I just booked our pre-cruise hotel for our May 2021 cruise as the dates just became available to book, though I will keep checking for a lower rate. The hotel reservation doesn't require a deposit and is cancelable until the day before arrival.

To the OP's question, we have a May 2021 Alaska cruise booked. We booked it opening day, so covid was not a declared pandemic yet, thought it was known about. We ar really torn on this, a the possibility of no vaccine by then is a significant issue for us -- we won't sail without natural or vaccine immunity. So what we've done is ALSO book the same cruise for August 2021. We will cancel one of them as we get closer to PIF for the first and more info becomes available. Quite frankly, right now we are leaning to just canceling May and keeping August as there is a better chance of a vaccine for it. That said, if there is no vaccine for the August then we move it into 2022.

Aside from the cruise itself, our other challenge will be airfare. We fly Westjet and use a companion voucher so I need to do some research on change and cancelation policies and fees before we book that.

SW

Lets also remember we STILL do not have a vaccine for SARS or MERS

Because the need went away had we continue researching one we might well have a vaccine.

And lets face it with the unstructured way lockdowns are ending early a vaccine might not be the route we end up taking to herd immunity.

And at this point, they don't even know if we can actually be immune to it. It is still such a new virus and the scientific world has lots to learn about it. The media only talks about the death from it. What about all those who actually get sick with it and survive? There are many who have had it already ( and probably more due to lack of testing being able to be done ) and have survived it. Once scientists know if we can even become immune to it, will determine how our lives will unfold in the next few years.

And at this point, they don't even know if we can actually be immune to it. It is still such a new virus and the scientific world has lots to learn about it. The media only talks about the death from it. What about all those who actually get sick with it and survive? There are many who have had it already ( and probably more due to lack of testing being able to be done ) and have survived it. Once scientists know if we can even become immune to it, will determine how our lives will unfold in the next few years.
While that's very true and most doctors are waiting for the science, I've seen at least on video with Dr. Fauci where he said he'd be very surprised if having the disease didn't at least provide some immunity, even if it was only for a few years. But, of course, like the others, he's said we just don't know yet.

Based on our immunity to other coronaviruses, experts think it should last approx. 3 years. Not a lifetime protection but long enough so that subsequent waves shouldn’t as catastrophic as more and more are temporarily protected. If no vaccine can be developed, this virus will become endemic like its cousins that give us colds.

Based on our immunity to other coronaviruses, experts think it should last approx. 3 years. Not a lifetime protection but long enough so that subsequent waves shouldn’t as catastrophic as more and more are temporarily protected. If no vaccine can be developed, this virus will become endemic like its cousins that give us colds.
That is interesting!!!! Thanks for that information:-)

And don't forget, we have a flu vaccine that many people do not take advantage of, so just because they come up with a vaccine for COVID-19 that doesn't mean that everyone will take it. That being said, there will be many that will travel all over that have not been vaccinated once a vaccine is available, just like the flu vaccine.
And don't bash me, I do vaccinate for flu every year, and will definitely get the COVID vaccine.

And don't forget, we have a flu vaccine that many people do not take advantage of, so just because they come up with a vaccine for COVID-19 that doesn't mean that everyone will take it. That being said, there will be many that will travel all over that have not been vaccinated once a vaccine is available, just like the flu vaccine.
And don't bash me, I do vaccinate for flu every year, and will definitely get the COVID vaccine.

I suspect there will be some sort of requirement for the vaccine for certain travel situations, though I know there are people who see this as a violation of their freedom. I do agree though, many people will not want to get it. I don't get the flu shot every year, I did the H1N1 year because I was pregnant at the time and it was strongly recommended. I will get the COVID one and have my son get it as well.

Everyday (in fact, multiple times a day) we get e-mail from work detailing new procedures in the hospital, stats on how many patients have COVID-19, PPE and who was interviewed in the media. Today, my colleague, Dr Piccirillo, who is in charge of our immunophenotyping platform got interviewed for a CBC Manitoba article. It relates a little to the current discussion of this thread so here it is:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-antibody-testing-covid-19-1.5569630
Note: the lab where I work looks exactly like the one he is standing in the photo except that our microscopes are much older than theirs. lol.

Yeah that 'flu' season hit Manitoba hard. Well, at least Winnipeg. I remember hearing about 11 hours in the emerg waiting rooms and only sick people were allowed to sit in the chairs, not the people who brought them to emerg because there was no room for all those people. At that point, no one was even going to emerg unless you had no other choice.... than to wait the 11 hours.

I have never had a flu shot in my life and I haven't had the flu in years. Now, I consider the flu vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Not a cold, sore throat, etc. But you bet I'll be getting a COVID shot!

I have never had a flu shot in my life and I haven't had the flu in years. Now, I consider the flu vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Not a cold, sore throat, etc. But you bet I'll be getting a COVID shot!

The "flu shot" is or influenza. Influenza is a respiratory illness.

QUOTE (source: https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/flu-cold-and-gastroenteritis/flu-influenza/ )

Flu symptoms and their severity can vary with age and health status. The main symptoms are as follows:
  • Sudden fever, between 39°C and 40°C (102°F and 104°F)
  • Sudden cough
  • Sore throat
  • Muscle or joint pain
  • Extreme fatigue
  • Headaches
Symptoms can also include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. These symptoms are more common in children.

In older adults, feeling weak and confused sometimes may be the only symptoms.

The flu is often confused with other respiratory infections such as the cold.

END QUOTE

what some people call "the flu" with just vomiting and diarrhea as symptoms is a gastrointestinal illness and highly unlikely to be influenza. The influenza vaccine does nothing to help that as it is caused by entirely different microorganisms.

A phase 1 clinical trial for a vaccine is starting within the next two weeks in Halifax. It will be a safety trial with participants between the ages of 18-55 and 65 years and older, then phase two trials will involve other vaccine centres in Canada and include participants from 18-85 years old. Phase 1 and phase 2 are scheduled to run for 6-8 months, but phase 3 could begin before those phases are completed if there are no red flags that come out of the early data. Phase 3 trial could start by late summer and would test whether the vaccine works to develop immunity. If the vaccine proves both safe and effective they could authorize that the vaccine be available before the phase 3 trials are complete, as they did for the ebola vaccine, otherwise it might be a couple of years before it could be available.

This is the first vaccine trial, but it won't be the only one trialed in Canada. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/first-canadian-vaccine-trials-covid-19-halifax-1.5573283

Influenza is respiratory. We call stomach bugs ”the flu” but they are gastrointestinal viruses and not actually the flu. Strange but true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter