Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most definitely
One does not do that sort of thing. People will not like that she has started the commercialization and "cashing in" on the Sussex name and position, BEFORE the announcement. It shows that they have planned this out for months and that will not be liked. It will be seen as two faced, that on one hand, she played the part of the proper princess while all this scheming was taking place in private.

So even though she is donating the money she earns and not personally profiting from it they will find something to have an issue with.
I do feel like she should have expected some lifestyle changes when she married into a Royal family of a different country but this kind of stuff is ridiculous. The Royal family or the British people don’t own her or Harry.
It appears she can’t win, even if she uses her title or just her American celebrity status to do good she’s still hated. In that case, she and Harry are making the right choice to spend less time over there.

Most definitely
One does not do that sort of thing. People will not like that she has started the commercialization and "cashing in" on the Sussex name and position, BEFORE the announcement. It shows that they have planned this out for months and that will not be liked. It will be seen as two faced, that on one hand, she played the part of the proper princess while all this scheming was taking place in private.

I think that it is time for a change. The world is different now and so the Monarchy should change with it. But how is this any different then any other fund raising event? They show up to events in order to raise money and awareness for all kinds of events. So they have been monetizing themselves the whole time. I bet if Kate did something similar, like maybe recorded a children's book, they all would have loved it.

Most people in UK wouldn’t mind them walking away for a civilian life. But they want to pick and chose, keep fancy taxpayer funded houses, millions in security etc. Also it is very bad how they (UK perception is it’s driven by Meghan) have set up a website which portrays them as the new Messiahs- preaching about the environment whilst living a jet set lifestyle and seems to be dictating to the Queen and taking over. They don’t have many fans now.

Last edited:
In the interests of accuracy, Princess Anne was second in line to the throne, behind Charles, from when her mother became Queen in 1952 until Andrew arrived in 1960.
On the other hand, Harry was never higher than third after his father and his brother William.

To say that "Princess Anne has conducted her duties quite well" displays a poor understanding of the workings of the Royal Family. The Princess Royal, a title richly deserved, is one of the hardest working and well loved members of that family.

ford family
Pardon my ignorance - is there still a "male line of succession" rule that takes precedence? I thought that was settled back in Elizabethan times. :confused:
Really though, whom among us hasn’t been in their shoes? You go on vacation, get away from the stresses of daily life, and start feeling relaxed. At some point you turn to your spouse and say, “What if we just didn’t go back?” Your spouse laughs at first, but the idea grows as the two of you start to talk about how you could get a little cabin on the Canadian frozen tundra and lead a simpler, happier life away from all the pressures back home. And sure, you know your relatives will be disappointed but you have to do what’s best for your little family and they’ll come around eventually. Next thing you know, you’re making a global announcement and stepping down from your royal duties.

The answer here is obvious:

View attachment 463970
Yes, blame us. :laughing: Canada has a lot of great things going for it, but the Sussexes may just find it's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live here. And the weather is the least of it.

On the one hand, Canada is very, very multi-cultural; heck, by census data there are more non-white people in Vancouver than there are white people, if that's an issue for anybody. Racism? To a point I suppose, but nothing near the tensions that apparently exist in the US and parts of Europe. A mixed-race couple and their children wouldn't cause an eyelash to flutter. We also have nothing - really nothing - that resembles a tabloid-type press and no paparazzi. We are not obsessed with what celebrities, politicians and the financial elite are doing.

On the other hand, that could also be an issue. In a relatively egalitarian culture with no entrenched history of a class-system, it might be hard for them to get the adoration they may feel is their due. As much as they say they want to live normal lives, I don't quite imagine anonymous Joe Six-Pack and Suburban Soccer Mom is what they have in mind. :rolleyes1

...My understanding is that the major fly in the ointment, financially speaking, is security. The Sovereign Grant estimates security for that family costs around $6.5M(US) each year, and their personal fortunes amount only to about 4X that. Cutting security costs is likely to severely curb this bi-continental lifestyle they plan to pursue, unless the Duchess returns to her former career (which I can't see happening, because of the increased cost of insuring her on-set. Professionally, she's no Meryl Streep, so I doubt many producers would consider the cost to be worth it.) Of course, now that the mighty Weinstein Company has crumbled, there is always the chance that someone plans to step into that gap and try to produce film and TV for a living.
:scratchin In this case, if they intend to reside in Canada, or even spend any substantial time here at all, the burden is on us, as taxpayers. Every member of the British Royal Family (and countless other people with diplomatic status) are designated as "Internationally Protected Persons" in keeping with the UN Anti-Terrorism Treaty. What this means in the case of the Royals is that as signators to the Treaty, Canada is 100% responsible for their security when they are on our soil. The RCMP (our national police force) would bear the burden for whatever is deemed necessary. They may supplement with private security resources at their own discretion but that still doesn't get us off the hook. :mad:
Why does it have to be jealousy? Maybe she just doesn't like Catherine? Maybe Catherine doesn't like her? Or get this, maybe they just don't flow together. Everyone isn't for everyone. There are people I really don't care for and wouldn't work with. Doesn't mean I'm jealous of them. It just means they aren't my cup of tea. Maybe Catherine wasn't so nice to Meghan when she joined the family. There could be so many reasons that don't include jealousy.

Paying for security is a big issue but I don't think they should stay tied down for the rest of their lives over it. This is something Harry was born into. He had no choice in the matter. He is the son of Charles and Diana, the grandson of the Queen. He will need security for the rest of his life. Just because he was born a prince he should cough up 6.5 million dollars a year for the rest of his life because the press and regular people can't leave them alone? Or stay living a life he doesn't want to so someone can pay the 6.5 million? The whole situation sucks.
::yes:: Very good point. Apparently the relationship between Diana and Sarah devolved just like that, for whatever reasons. Initially they were expected to be the best of friends and allies against The Firm.
...I am curious how Canadians feel about them potentially adopting thesse two.
:confused3 Depends who you ask, I guess. In general Canadians have a sentimentality about the British Royal Family; we are, after all, the Queen's Loyal Subjects. As I mentioned earlier in this post though, we're also extremely egalitarian - the very idea of elitism doesn't sit well. And economically speaking, there are about a million things I'd rather see my tax dollars spent on than their perpetual security costs.
Just a weird question that Harry stepping away made me think of.....what happens if, heaven forbid, tragedy befalls the royal family, and the heir to the throne needs to step up before they are old enough to do so?
There would be a regency. So should, heaven forbid, the Queen, Charles, and William all pass away while George is still a child he would still be king but wouldn't really have any actual power (such as it is) or many responsibilities until he reached the age of majority or whatever. Those duties would be performed by someone designated by courtiers or the crown, in that case it would very likely be Harry or maybe Edward if he was still around.
Yep - regency, which has been used down through history for situations like that, amongst others. Interestingly, there has been suggestions of a Regency now in the case of Queen Elizabeth II - who on the other end of the spectrum may feel "too old" to do the job properly. I've read several articles speculating that rather than abdicate to Charles, he may be appointed as Regent while she retains the Crown until her death. Not a bad plan, really.

Since Regent is an appointment, if it were necessary it would not have to be the next person in line. If a disaster scenario befell the Waleses, I'd prefer to see Ann or Edward take the helm. They have both lived their adult lives with the dignity and decorum befitting the station.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance - is there still a "male line of succession" rule that takes precedence? I thought that was settled back in Elizabethan times. :confused:

So they have had the male succession line up until right before George was born. I am surprised you did not hear about it. It was all over the news even here in the US. So if Charlotte had been born first, she would have succeeded William. As it stands now, she is after George instead of it skipping her and going to Louie. But that was only for new births.

Most people in UK wouldn’t mind them walking away for a civilian life. But they want to pick and chose, keep fancy taxpayer funded houses, millions in security etc. Also it is very bad how they (UK perception is it’s driven by Meghan) have set up a website which portrays them as the new Mesdiahs- preaching about the environment whilst living a jet set lifestyle and seems to be dictating to the Queen and taking over. They don’t have many fans now.

The renovations were tax funded, but the house is owned by the royal family. As for security....well, that decision was made years ago when Harry was born. He's too close the RF to not have security so if Brits insist on maintaining the RF then they have to do this. Personally, I think he is opening the door for a more streamlined monarchy. The Queen had distant cousins on the payroll and you've been paying for Andrew's girls for way too long. Things will get done gradually and good on Harry for forcing this on the institution. Charles has been waiting to take ascend so he could do this. Harry got it going.

The next round begins. UK media are now reporting that Meghan has signed a voice over deal with Disney and the money earned will be donated to an African charity Elephants Without Borders, an organisation that helps to track and protect the animals from poaching.

The news reports are saying that she has already recorded the voice over.
That’s great. It is a great cause. I admire them for wanting to help.

And a 'jet-setting baby shower'? Really? She is American, all of her friends are American, of course it is easier for one person to fly (again, on her dime) to the event vs everyone flying to where she is. When you're British and all your friends and family are Brits, having a baby shower where your friends and family live is perfectly logical.

I agree. I don't see how anyone can possibly fault her for wanting to see her friends and family. It would be weird if she didn't. Heck, on this same thread there are people upset because she has family she has chosen to disassociate from. (I don't fault her for that either because her dad and half siblings are crazy!) The fact that she has some stalwart friends and family sticking by her is what helps normalize this crazy mess IMO.

Am I the only one who saw this coming for about the last 20 years? I’m about the same age as Harry and it seemed quite obvious to me that he’d be the one to shake up the royal family. I always had had a feeling he would leave. He’s the rebel, he’s always done things his way. This comes as zero surprise to me.

I wonder if he promised this to Meghan before the wedding. “Let’s play nice for now and soon enough we’ll be done.” I don’t think either one of them wants this life, especially Harry.

As for the jealousy thing. Maybe Catherine and William are jealous of them. H&M get to live their life how they want to. They do what they want. Harry has been doing his thing for years while William walks the line and goes what he’s told. Meghan waited days to introduce her baby to the press. Catherine had to get dolled up within hours and parade herself in front of hundreds of cameras and millions of people. That would be enough to set me off!

For some the life of William and Catherine may seem glamorous and easily say Meghan is jealous but I don’t buy it. I would never want to live the life of William and Catherine. Having everyone telling me what to wear, how to talk, how to sit, how to walk, what to name my kids, etc. sounds like a complete nightmare to me. Then watching your brother and sister in law do what they want, how they want and when they want would Upset a lot of people.

There are two sides to every story and I don’t buy that Meghan is this evil wife that is turning sweet innocent Harry against his family. I think Harry’s had this planned for years.

So they have had the male succession line up until right before George was born. I am surprised you did not hear about it. It was all over the news even here in the US. So if Charlotte had been born first, she would have succeeded William. As it stands now, she is after George instead of it skipping her and going to Louie. But that was only for new births.

I did hear about that but I am unclear if that is set in stone now or if that was just a proclamation specific to George. I mean, if George's first born is female will she become Queen or will it go to the eldest male heir?

I did hear about that but I am unclear if that is set in stone now or if that was just a proclamation specific to George. I mean, if George's first born is female will she become Queen or will it go to the eldest male heir?
The change in the law of succession is permanent.

ford family

How they spend private family time, at their expense, is no one's business.

And a 'jet-setting baby shower'? Really? She is American, all of her friends are American, of course it is easier for one person to fly (again, on her dime) to the event vs everyone flying to where she is. When you're British and all your friends and family are Brits, having a baby shower where your friends and family live is perfectly logical.

What a garbage argument.
Her best friend is Canadian - Jessica Mulroney.

Most people in UK wouldn’t mind them walking away for a civilian life. But they want to pick and chose, keep fancy taxpayer funded houses, millions in security etc. Also it is very bad how they (UK perception is it’s driven by Meghan) have set up a website which portrays them as the new Mesdiahs- preaching about the environment whilst living a jet set lifestyle and seems to be dictating to the Queen and taking over. They don’t have many fans now.

How can they be “taking over” and at the same time distance themselves?
I don’t know anything about the house but the security thing is for the Royal family correct?
Whether or not Harry is a civilian he is still part of that family.

Yes, blame us. :laughing: Canada has a lot of great things going for it, but the Sussexes may just find it's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live here. And the weather is the least of it.

On the one hand, Canada is very, very multi-cultural; heck, by census data there are more non-white people in Vancouver than there are white people, if that's an issue for anybody. Racism? To a point I suppose, but nothing near the tensions that apparently exist in the US and parts of Europe. A mixed-race couple and their children wouldn't cause an eyelash to flutter. We also have nothing - really nothing - that resembles a tabloid-type press and no paparazzi. We are not obsessed with what celebrities, politicians and the financial elite are doing.

On the other hand, that could also be an issue. In a relatively egalitarian culture with no entrenched history of a class-system, it might be hard for them to get the adoration they may feel is their due. As much as they say they want to live normal lives, I don't quite imagine anonymous Joe Six-Pack and Suburban Soccer Mom is what they have in mind. :rolleyes1

:scratchin In this case, if they intend to reside in Canada, or even spend any substantial time here at all, the burden is on us, as taxpayers. Every member of the British Royal Family (and countless other people with diplomatic status) are designated as "Internationally Protected Persons" in keeping with the UN Anti-Terrorism Treaty. What this means in the case of the Royals is that as signators to the Treaty, Canada is 100% responsible for their security when they are on our soil. The RCMP (our national police force) would bear the burden for whatever is deemed necessary. They may supplement with private security resources at their own discretion but that still doesn't get us off the hook. :mad:

::yes:: Very good point. Apparently the relationship between Diana and Sarah devolved that that, for whatever reasons.

:confused3 Depends who you ask, I guess. In general Canadians have a sentimentality about the British Royal Family; we are, after all, the Queen's Loyal Subjects. As I mentioned earlier in this post though, we're also extremely egalitarian - the very idea of elitism doesn't sit well. And economically speaking, there are about a million things I'd rather see my tax dollars spent on than their perpetual security costs.

Yep - regency, which has been used down through history for situations like that, amongst others. Interestingly, there has been suggestions of a Regency now in the case of Queen Elizabeth - who on the other end of the spectrum may feel "too old" to do the job properly. I've read several articles speculating that rather than abdicate to Charles, he may be appointed as Regent while she retains the Crown until her death. Not a bad plan, really.

Since Regent is an appointment, if it were necessary it would not have to be the next person in line. If a disaster scenario befell the Waleses, I'd prefer to see Ann or Edward take the helm. They have both lived their adult lives with the dignity and decorum befitting the station.
[

Succession issue was in the news here in Canada as the House of Commons had to pass a bill in regards to the change.
All Commonwealth countries with QE2 had pass the amendment.

Am I the only one who saw this coming for about the last 20 years? I’m about the same age as Harry and it seemed quite obvious to me that he’d be the one to shake up the royal family. I always had had a feeling he would leave. He’s the rebel, he’s always done things his way. This comes as zero surprise to me.

I wonder if he promised this to Meghan before the wedding. “Let’s play nice for now and soon enough we’ll be done.” I don’t think either one of them wants this life, especially Harry.

As for the jealousy thing. Maybe Catherine and William are jealous of them. H&M get to live their life how they want to. They do what they want. Harry has been doing his thing for years while William walks the line and goes what he’s told. Meghan waited days to introduce her baby to the press. Catherine had to get dolled up within hours and parade herself in front of hundreds of cameras and millions of people. That would be enough to set me off!

For some the life of William and Catherine may seem glamorous and easily say Meghan is jealous but I don’t buy it. I would never want to live the life of William and Catherine. Having everyone telling me what to wear, how to talk, how to sit, how to walk, what to name my kids, etc. sounds like a complete nightmare to me. Then watching your brother and sister in law do what they want, how they want and when they want would Upset a lot of people.

There are two sides to every story and I don’t buy that Meghan is this evil wife that is turning sweet innocent Harry against his family. I think Harry’s had this planned for years.

Excellent post. I was ready to give the queen the finger when I read Kate could no longer wear skirts above the knees and always had to wear panty hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter