Is now the time to buy Poly resale?

DVC has been selling tower studio Favorite Weeks since the DLH minimum purchase became 100 points. This is Riviera's chart as of 3/13/23

View attachment 819844
Not to pull away to far from the point of this thread too much, but I’ve considered buying a FW at the new tower and when I spoke to a guide about the potential a few weeks ago, he told me he doesn’t think they’re really worth it (I don’t necessarily agree) but mostly because they come at a 20% premium. Is that true? I always thought it was 10% more? I had questioned him about it but he was positive it was 20% more so I just assumed it went up. Has anyone purchased a FW recently or knows if this is true? Thanks!

My understanding is also 20 percent premium.

Could be worth it if you know you are always going at a certain time I suppose.

It is not. My guide sent this to me awhile back when I purchased my FW. Looks like some weeks its week 26 and others week 27.

View attachment 819951
Thank you.
FW duo studio might still work for us. Years it doesn’t have July 4th, we would opt out. Thinking those standard view duo studios will be near impossible that week. Happy to watch fireworks from the beach or pool.

Thank you.
FW duo studio might still work for us. Years it doesn’t have July 4th, we would opt out. Thinking those standard view duo studios will be near impossible that week. Happy to watch fireworks from the beach or pool.
It looks like more July 4ths are in week 26 than week 27 typically so I’d go for that but yeah there’s really no downside to having a fixed week other than the point total for the contract is pre-set but there’s more upside to having a FW than negatives.

Last edited:
Not to pull away to far from the point of this thread too much, but I’ve considered buying a FW at the new tower and when I spoke to a guide about the potential a few weeks ago, he told me he doesn’t think they’re really worth it (I don’t necessarily agree) but mostly because they come at a 20% premium. Is that true? I always thought it was 10% more? I had questioned him about it but he was positive it was 20% more so I just assumed it went up. Has anyone purchased a FW recently or knows if this is true? Thanks!
You are correct and your guide is incorrect. It's a 10% surcharge.

"Favorite Week buyers are required to purchase a number of points roughly equal to the 2023 cost of their week plus an additional 10%. For example, a January Lake View Resort Studio at the Grand Floridian which would normally cost 153 points requires a purchase of 168 DVC points as part of a Favorite Week. The Favorite Week is written into the buyer's contract, and the applicable accommodation is booked on their behalf each year before the room is even made available to other resort owners."

https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program/fin...c-rebrands-guaranteed-weeks-as-favorite-weeks

Just look at the Riviera points chart compared to the 3/13/23 Favorite Week chart I posted above. I do not believe the Favorite Week chart has been updated since March. @intamin may know since he was dealing with a guide more recently than I with a Riviera Favorite Week.

Not all guides are well versed in Favorite Weeks since many members do not purchase them (or understand them themselves). There is a wonderful thread here on the DIS that goes through the ins and outs: https://www.disboards.com/threads/all-about-fixed-weeks-riv-ccv-aul-vgf-poly-charts.3806985/

I think it's a fantastic idea to purchase one if the overall contract isn't larger than something you would want to purchase (i.e. 100-200 points for studios vs 1000 for a grand villa) and you visit the same time annually.

Like @PolyRob said you are correct, it is a 10% surcharge and yeah the link they sent for the RIV FW was not updated, it listed a RIV tower studio which I know is not there for week 50. Honestly there is no downside, worse comes to worst you end up canceling the preset reservation and use it as normal points ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The only negative like I was saying is the number of points in the contract is preset and usually it’s not a nice round number. I originally wanted to add on an additional 150 but because my FW 50 costs 135 in a standard studio at RIV, I ended up buying 135+50 which was fine with me. Could’ve done 135+65 to make it an even 200 but idk the discount between the 175 to 200 point threshold didn’t make me think I need to reach that point.

You are correct and your guide is incorrect. It's a 10% surcharge.

"Favorite Week buyers are required to purchase a number of points roughly equal to the 2023 cost of their week plus an additional 10%. For example, a January Lake View Resort Studio at the Grand Floridian which would normally cost 153 points requires a purchase of 168 DVC points as part of a Favorite Week. The Favorite Week is written into the buyer's contract, and the applicable accommodation is booked on their behalf each year before the room is even made available to other resort owners."

https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program/fin...c-rebrands-guaranteed-weeks-as-favorite-weeks

Just look at the Riviera points chart compared to the 3/13/23 Favorite Week chart I posted above. I do not believe the Favorite Week chart has been updated since March. @intamin may know since he was dealing with a guide more recently than I with a Riviera Favorite Week.

Not all guides are well versed in Favorite Weeks since many members do not purchase them (or understand them themselves). There is a wonderful thread here on the DIS that goes through the ins and outs: https://www.disboards.com/threads/all-about-fixed-weeks-riv-ccv-aul-vgf-poly-charts.3806985/

I think it's a fantastic idea to purchase one if the overall contract isn't larger than something you would want to purchase (i.e. 100-200 points for studios vs 1000 for a grand villa) and you visit the same time annually.
Like @PolyRob said you are correct, it is a 10% surcharge and yeah the link they sent for the RIV FW was not updated, it listed a RIV tower studio which I know is not there for week 50. Honestly there is no downside, worse comes to worst you end up canceling the preset reservation and use it as normal points ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The only negative like I was saying is the number of points in the contract is preset and usually it’s not a nice round number. I originally wanted to add on an additional 150 but because my FW 50 costs 135 in a standard studio at RIV, I ended up buying 135+50 which was fine with me. Could’ve done 135+65 to make it an even 200 but idk the discount between the 175 to 200 point threshold didn’t make me think I need to reach that point.
Thank you! I knew I wasn’t crazy haha this is really helpful thank you! Guess we’ll have to wait to see what point charts look like to decide if it’s ultimately worth it but I’m definitely still interested now.

I ended up buying 135+50 which was fine with me. Could’ve done 135+65 to make it an even 200 but idk the discount between the 175 to 200 point threshold didn’t make me think I need to reach that point.
Did you buy the extra 50pts at RIV? I wonder if it’s possible to buy a second contract at another resort but still get the higher point purchase incentive. For example, if I get a Poly tower FW for 145pts can I buy a 55pt extra contract at RIV to meet the incentive threshold?

Did you buy the extra 50pts at RIV? I wonder if it’s possible to buy a second contract at another resort but still get the higher point purchase incentive. For example, if I get a Poly tower FW for 145pts can I buy a 55pt extra contract at RIV to meet the incentive threshold?
I’d guess it would depend on the incentives (if they would even do it)

Thank you! I knew I wasn’t crazy haha this is really helpful thank you! Guess we’ll have to wait to see what point charts look like to decide if it’s ultimately worth it but I’m definitely still interested now.
I understand, especially if a lot of the Tower has the potential of going to the Trust. Having a guaranteed reservation in it would be a nice safety net!

This might be a dumb question, but if you don’t use your fixed are you able to book a different reservation with full amount of points (including the addtional 10% points)? For example, would you have 135 points to book a different reservation with? If so, that’s a great deal to be able to guarantee a lower point room at your home resort (like the standard view studio) during popular times without much much of a downside—the 10% extra points seems like it will almost always end up being a lower point total than having to book a higher point room.

This might be a dumb question, but if you don’t use your fixed are you able to book a different reservation with full amount of points (including the addtional 10% points)? For example, would you have 135 points to book a different reservation with? If so, that’s a great deal to be able to guarantee a lower point room at your home resort (like the standard view studio) during popular times without much much of a downside—the 10% extra points seems like it will almost always end up being a lower point total than having to book a higher point room.
Yes, exactly! If the room typically costs 123 points and you purchase a 135 point Favorite Week and decide not to use it that use year you have 135 points to play with. You can bank, borrow, transfer, etc like any other DVC points!

Yep! If you use the points on anything but the FW you get the full amount to use like any other point which is why I said there’s really no downside to owning a FW because you have the option to use the points like normal at any point. It just requires slightly more leg work like you have to call in to cancel the reservation if you let the FW be booked but that’s really it.

Unless everything is the exact same…base price and incentives.. you can not combine

During the summer of 2020..I think it was then…both CCV and RIV were and people had luck.

But if anything is different about it, then it’s now allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter