JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flossbolna,
just wanted to say Love your pix. Brings back great memories. DS was looking over my shoulder at your bus pick up area and started laughing remembering walking smak into one of those poles because he wasn't looking where he was walking!!:rotfl:
We were on the Kudu trail all the way at the end in a bunk bed Savannah view room. Long walk to the Mara and the pool, but we had a beautiful view of the sunrise each morning, and it was very quiet and peaceful. Wish I had those pix on a digital camera. Unfortunately, I was still using my 35mm camera then. I have some great shots.
Thanks again for sharing your pix. Would love to see more.:rotfl:

Hi, all:
We will be spending a week at WDW in October and will stay concierge level AKL for part of the trip. We have made reservations for both the Sunrise safari for the entire family and the Wanyama safari for the adults. We have 4 children, the younger two ages 3 and 2, and seek input on the following:

--For those of you with toddlers, did they enjoy the Sunrise safari? Our toddlers like the zoo and are awake and raring to go at 6 a.m., but we would like some feedback as to the experiences of others with young children.

--Is it overkill for the adults to do both safaris? We want to do something special with our kids, but also want to have a special night for just the 2 of us. If not the Wanyama safari, any other suggestions for us adults? We prefer to stay on property vs restaurant/club hop although are open to suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

Can't answer about the toddlers, but I don't believe it is overkill to do both safaris. My sister and I did both in November, and loved them both! You get a different experience. The Sunset is on the grounds of the AKL, so there are fewer animals, but you get pretty close to them with a lot of detail about the animals. And it is an incerdible dining experience! The sunrise takes you behind the scenes of the safari, then along the regular route at a slower pace and with a guide speaking about the animals and the program instead of the tour script. Then you go for a fabulous brunch! I would definitely go to both; they were the highlights of our trip.

Hey guys. I have a question that I sort of asked earlier... I have a Savannah bunk room for December. On my requests, I put close to lobby 1st, as I have a bad knee. I think I put smoking next. I REALLY REALLY WANT ZEBRA TRAIL. Is there some way I should word it that would up my odds? I really want to be able to exit my room & be able to head to Mara in the morning or hit the pool without walking a mile. My knee will be stiff and achy from all the park walking. When I am back at the hotel, I don't want to continue the endless walking.

Just curious if there is a better way to word my request? I am going to be calling this afternoon to see if any Concierge rooms have opened up. Is is smart to talk to a CM (at the 407-WDISNEY #) or should I call AKL directly with my needs? TIA my Jambo friends!
Quoting myself because my question got lost several pages back & I am still hopeful that someone can help me!

Hey Everyone!!! Boy it's been awhile since I've been here!!! I MISS it!!! SO, how is everyone?? HEY KIMMAR !! How are you girl ~~ I MISS YA! OK, so I know I have to redeem myself for being away for so long.......... so enjoy!!

All are from our balcony views from our different rooms!

akl.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg

lodge13.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

:dance3: :dance3:
WOW !!! those pics are WONDERFUL !!!
Thanks for posting !!!

I'm not staying at AKL this August :sad2: BUT PLAN TO VISIT for a YUMMY meal at Boma with friends !!! party: party:

:thanks: wendipooh

Laura :grouphug:

I have a quick question, please. We want to surprise the DDs and we've told them that we'll be staying at pop. On our last trip we stayed at CSR and our ME bus went to Pop, CSR, and then AKL and did the opposite on the way back. Is this the normal route? Thanks in advance.:flower3:

When I went in Aug 2005 they only stops were CSR and AKL no Pop...I think it just depends on where everyone else is going. That is an awesome surprise for your DD's though!!! They are going to love it!!!

Welcome back Wendypooh!!!!! The pictures are great and thank you so much for sharing them. You know you will have to post more of them!!!!! Plus you have to tell us all about your trip!!!

Flossbolna...thank you for sharing more pictures. They are definitly getting me in the mood!!!

Exactly how and when do you go about requesting a certain location.??
From what I've read so far I think I'll request Zebra trail but do I do it when booking with Disney or call the hotel directly - now or closer to when we leave (12/26 - 1/1) ??
Also, since the construction should be mainly around the lobby areas do you think it will impact how much holiday decorating they do ??

I have been very hesitant about staying here because of the extra cost but seeing all of your picture has really got me psyched!! :banana:

I think I will also surprise the kids - I'll let them think we are at CSR. It'll be another xmas gift !!! Hope they'll like it !

next installment of pictures: the lobby. It is just gorgeous! My friend decided that the great thing of AKL was that it was luxurious but still very welcoming. I hope my pictures can bring you some of this feeling!

a general overview:

DSC00500.jpg

looking out towards the Savannah:

DSC00503.jpg

And back from there into the lobby:

DSC00828.jpg

I loved the different seats, especially this one I would love to put into my living room:

DSC00505.jpg

More seats:

DSC00498.jpg

Or seen from above:

DSC00620.jpg

This is the fireplace inside the lobby:

DSC00504.jpg

And in case you want to learn about African geography, just use the lobby floor:

DSC00923.jpg

When I went in Aug 2005 they only stops were CSR and AKL no Pop...I think it just depends on where everyone else is going. That is an awesome surprise for your DD's though!!! They are going to love it!!!

Thanks.

Hey Wedypooh! Great pictures.

Ktink - When we used ME in Dec. 2005, it stopped at CSR, POP and AKL. It took us 1 1/2 hours from the time we landed in Orlando till we got to the AKL.

Flossbolna - Thanks for posting those great pictures. They bring back such wonderful memories of the AKL.

Ktink - When we used ME in Dec. 2005, it stopped at CSR, POP and AKL. It took us 1 1/2 hours from the time we landed in Orlando till we got to the AKL.

Flossbolna - Thanks for posting those great pictures. They bring back such wonderful memories of the AKL.

Thanks. I can go up to the ME check in at the airport and DH can occupy them. And maybe they'll be so excited that we're almost in WDW that they won't even be paying attention. I just can't wait to see the looks on their faces when we pull up to AKL.

I really do want to thank all of you that answered. I feel so bad that we've waivered resorts so much. I've been really busy and not taken the time to really decide until now. But the good news is that I'm graduating my Leadership Class on May 17th! So maybe things will get back to normal. Thanks again

My family and I are looking to go the AKL in mid to late October. What is going on with construction of the villas, and do you think it will be very disruptive or should we go back to WL. We had our first trip to AKL in February and cannot wait to go back. Any help is appreciated.

Oh my goodness, those pictures are beatiful. Now I'm starting to rethink our change from AKL to WL. I originally wanted WL, booked AKL with the 40%, switched to WL for free dining--but those pictures. The theming looks warm. I love the African Safari look. I'm worried about two things, the construction and the transportation. I kind of like the idea of a boat to MK or a boat to CR and a monorail to epcot from the TTC which would be available at WL. I heard good things about AKL busses but there is no beach. I think I like the location of the WL best but I like the AKL resort best, especially the pool. What'll I do, What'll I do??? A:confused3

Oh my goodness, those pictures are beatiful. Now I'm starting to rethink our change from AKL to WL. I originally wanted WL, booked AKL with the 40%, switched to WL for free dining--but those pictures. The theming looks warm. I love the African Safari look. I'm worried about two things, the construction and the transportation. I kind of like the idea of a boat to MK or a boat to CR and a monorail to epcot from the TTC which would be available at WL. I heard good things about AKL busses but there is no beach. I think I like the location of the WL best but I like the AKL resort best, especially the pool. What'll I do, What'll I do??? A:confused3

Even if we're not staying at AKL, we always go spend an afternoon/evening there. There are so many public viewing areas to see the animals and take pictures; then have dinner at Boma or Jiko. :cloud9:

RachelTori:

You are right. We have ressies at Boma one night and plan to do a little touring, however, the warm brown wood is sooo beautiful. I am excited about WL because there is a chance for us to get a MK view but I must admit, when I see the pictures Flossbolna posted I get butterflies in my tummy. I really love the theming. The upper view balcony looks like a swinging bridge. I've always wanted to go on an African Safari. You are right though, we can drink in the beauty when we visit. I still have some time to think about it. It's just that WL is booked and if I switch I'll have to stay...I don't want any regrets.

Hi stepdisney, I can absolutely understand your problem. You want your vacation to be really great and with all the information available you are afraid of not using every piece of information to make the best decision. However, I think there is not one perfect vacation, but very many different possibilities which will be, if you let them, this fantastic vacation that you hope for. Many here on this board will say that WL is one of their favourites, too. I have not stayed there, yet, but on visits really loved WL, too. It also has a very warm and welcoming feel to it. I am sure, you will love it there, especially if you like the beach and the location close to MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter