JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
no problem. they ahven't had a chance to "check everything out" yet, they were headed to MK for EMH thonight (SO jealous!) but she said she would keep me posted!:goodvibes

Just wondering which savannah trail they are on??

Thanks for keeping us informed:thumbsup2

Anxious to hear about the construction status also. Please let us know what your parents see!

Arrrgggh!!! I'm so sad and frustrated! We've stayed at AKL 3 times, and absolutely love it, and now that our youngest is 3, we are considered a party of 5 and can't get a room! We stayed at POR in December, the first time we were at WDW since he turned 3, and have plans to stay there again in September, and the WL in January, but my heart's at the AKL. I tried and tried to get a deluxe room or even concierge for our September and January trips, and now I hear that they won't have any family of 5 rooms available next year, due to the DVC construction. Does anyone know if there will be any rooms for 5 once the construction is done, or are all the deluxe rooms going DVC? Not to be too dramatic, but it almost breaks my heart to think my family can't stay at our favorite resort again.

Arrrgggh!!! I'm so sad and frustrated! We've stayed at AKL 3 times, and absolutely love it, and now that our youngest is 3, we are considered a party of 5 and can't get a room! We stayed at POR in December, the first time we were at WDW since he turned 3, and have plans to stay there again in September, and the WL in January, but my heart's at the AKL. I tried and tried to get a deluxe room or even concierge for our September and January trips, and now I hear that they won't have any family of 5 rooms available next year, due to the DVC construction. Does anyone know if there will be any rooms for 5 once the construction is done, or are all the deluxe rooms going DVC? Not to be too dramatic, but it almost breaks my heart to think my family can't stay at our favorite resort again.

From all reports, all the deluxe rooms are being converted to DVC accomodations. So no, there won't be, by all reports, any more rooms, other than suites or renting a 1 BR DVC room through CRO (or points from an owner for same), that can accomodate 5.

Isn't it sad that once again a family of more than 4 can not stay somewhere? We stayed at AKL 3 years ago and are a family of 5. I'm so happy we did it then since we also can no longer stay there. I don't understand the need to turn all the deluxe rooms into DVC. Or if they need to do this, then why not allow a family of 5 in the standard rooms. It's just one more place that can't fit us in!!!! So I feel for you : (

I was hoping y'all would have some better news for me, but it's kind of how I figured. Thanks! At least the WL allows 5 people, so maybe that'll wind up being our new "home" resort. Le sigh.

I was over on the YOAMD's threads and was reading some of the upgrades people had been given. For example, there was someone who was upgraded from one of the All Stars to the Polynesian. I was telling the girls about that. DD 10 says, it'd be great if they moved us from Pop to GF. DD 6 says, no, it'd be good if we could go to AKL and see the giraffes. My heart melted. DH just looked at me and grinned.

Off topic: But I've got a little good news. We added park hoppers!:cool1: I'm excited because one of the things we gave up to stay at AKL were the hoppers. DH told me we could do that but we weren't adding on the extra night. :laughing:

...WOOHOO!! :banana: W-T-G!!:dance3: :woohoo:

once again, thanks for all the nice comments! I can totally understand that you are all getting excited about you upcoming trips! Unfortunately I have no idea when I will have a chance to return to WDW and AKL... Loooking at my own posts and my pictures, February 2008 seems more and more a great time for a vacation in Florida... :cool1: it would be a shame not to take advantage of the (for me) extremely favourable Dollar-Euro exchange rate :goodvibes

Well, on with the pictures. This time the topic is: Zawadi Marketplace. The beautiful shop at the lodge.

a general overview - mainly with Disney souvenirs:

DSC00612.jpg

while hear you get to see some of the African souvenirs available:

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

I guess with the security rules on airplanes, these African products are mostly consumed during the stay at the lodge, and less often taken home as a souvenir:

DSC00606.jpg

But in my opinion the best thing about the shop were these ladies:

DSC00609.jpg

Flossbolna ~

Thank you for sharing such beautiful pix with us - I really appreciate it.....:thumbsup2

Flossbolna, we're staying put this time. I've wanted to stay at AKL for about 3 years now and I've let everyone else have their way. Now I think DH is on board w/ me! That makes it easier too!.....

...stick to yer 'guns', gurlfren.....:rolleyes:

We're about to have our first stay at the AKL in a couple weeks. What room requests would you recommend? We have a standard room booked.

We're likely to want to sleep in at least a couple days, so away from the construction would be better. Since it's a standard room (no view), I'd also like to be close to the lobby or bus stop.

Thanks for any info you can pass along! :)

We're about to have our first stay at the AKL in a couple weeks. What room requests would you recommend? We have a standard room booked.

We're likely to want to sleep in at least a couple days, so away from the construction would be better. Since it's a standard room (no view), I'd also like to be close to the lobby or bus stop.

Thanks for any info you can pass along! :)

Laralyn, standard view rooms are (as far as I know) only on Giraffe Trail and Ostrich Trail. I would recommend to request a location on Giraffe Trail as you will be close to the bus stop, the pool and using the exit to the pool it will only be a short hop to Mara. However, I suppose on Ostrich trail you would have the advantage of seeing bits of the savannah from the hallways when you walk to your room, so that might be nice, too.

The next topic is one which for me made AKL even more special: the African art on display everywhere. I never made it to that art tour that is offered in the evenings (one more reason to return to AKL!!), but really enjoyed all the different pieces of art.

This guy was my overall favourite:

DSC00502.jpg

the others are just random pictures, there was much more on display what I liked, but somehow I got the idea to get pictures of it quite late during my stay, so there are just a few:

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

Flossbolna,

You must work for AKL right? I love your picture tour of the resort. If I can't stay this time, at least I think myself there by viewing the pictures. It is difficult to get an idea about the size of the artwork. Are you standing in front or up above?

Thanks, keep the pictures coming!:surfweb:

stepdisney.....I know you are being tempted to stray and stay on the other side....lol :) I am looking at these photos too.....and saying, I can stay here !!! Whats one more change??/ Where's ktink??????? lol

Awesome, amazing photos. Have been at AKL...its beautiful, and the pool is great, and the poolside bar!

Quoting myself because my question got lost several pages back & I am still hopeful that someone can help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4est
Hey guys. I have a question that I sort of asked earlier... I have a Savannah bunk room for December. On my requests, I put close to lobby 1st, as I have a bad knee. I think I put smoking next. I REALLY REALLY WANT ZEBRA TRAIL. Is there some way I should word it that would up my odds? I really want to be able to exit my room & be able to head to Mara in the morning or hit the pool without walking a mile. My knee will be stiff and achy from all the park walking. When I am back at the hotel, I don't want to continue the endless walking.

Just curious if there is a better way to word my request? I am going to be calling this afternoon to see if any Concierge rooms have opened up. Is is smart to talk to a CM (at the 407-WDISNEY #) or should I call AKL directly with my needs? TIA my Jambo friends!

Quoting myself because my question got lost several pages back & I am still hopeful that someone can help me!

.·:*¨¨*:·.ºoº Laurie ºoº .·:*¨¨*:·.

Hi Laurie,

I noticed your question was overlooked. So Sorry! :rolleyes:

You said that You "really really want Zebra trail" I don't know how important the smoking room is to you. However, I would but your request in order of importance. Example: Zebra trail room, close to the lobby, smoking. I wouldn't request a floor to increase your chances of getting exactly what you want.

If you are able to upgrade to concierge, that would be even better. You can let your concierge IP know what your room needs are. They will do everything they can to fulfill you requests.

Have a wonderful trip. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter