JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Kim...
I know this is technically the AKL thread, but I just booked me and my sis at the WL for 2 nights in March...My niece is 3 and really doesn't like animals, and we'll be spending most of our time at MK, so I figured WL would be a good bet.
I'm flying down to visit her in GA and we decided, hey, it's only 6 hours in the car with 2 kids under 5 that will have to stop to pee every 5 minutes and a pregnant woman (her) that will stop every 12 minutes, so why not drive to WDW for a few days! We're going mid-week and may do P&P, but not sure.
Am I going to love WL anywhere near as much as AKL?

Hey Kim...
I know this is technically the AKL thread, but I just booked me and my sis at the WL for 2 nights in March...My niece is 3 and really doesn't like animals, and we'll be spending most of our time at MK, so I figured WL would be a good bet.
I'm flying down to visit her in GA and we decided, hey, it's only 6 hours in the car with 2 kids under 5 that will have to stop to pee every 5 minutes and a pregnant woman (her) that will stop every 12 minutes, so why not drive to WDW for a few days! We're going mid-week and may do P&P, but not sure.

Obviously, I'm not Kim..but...

I think you will. There are a LOT of similarities between the two resorts...not surprising given they had the same architect. I think WL is a little more "intimate", while AKL is a bit more sprawling and cavernous. But I think if you REALLY like one, you can't help but like the other.

Hey Kim...

Yay, you took care of that itch!! :lmao:

Yay, you took care of that itch!! :lmao:

I know - I really need my head examined. :headache:

My sister and family have never been to WDW. After they came up here to visit for the holidays my niece became pretty Mickey obsessed from spending a few days with my son. Go figure. So she's been asking relentlessly to go visit Mickey Mouse. (She's 3.5)
My sister is pregnant, due in late June, and she was thinking she really wants to take her daughter to WDW before the baby is born, since then it will really be a while before she's willing/able to go again.
They've asked me to go with them a few times before but (this is going to sound bad) I usually really don't like going on vacation with other people. But I figured this way, it'll be for a short time, just me and my son and (hopefully) just her and her daughter. I don't think my BIL will be coming...I hope not, since WL can't hold 3 adults and 2 kids. UGH - then what do I do.
Shhhh - I even made ADR's for 4 people at Chef Mickey's and Hollywood and Vine. So fingers crossed he stays home...(OK that sounds really bad) It's not that I don't like him - I really do - he's a great guy. It's just easier to plan/reserve things for 4 rather than 5 people.

I didn't think I'd like playing tour guide, but so far so good. We'll see if we actually get there. I did a room only res so if I need to cancel it I can.

Hey Kim...

...absolutely! The AKL is the baby brother of the WL (designed by the same architect) so there are abvious similarities....however, WL has that great lake that AKL doesn't have, and the AKL has the animals that WL lacks. Personally, both '5-star' restaurants are equal (different, but equal). As far as the 'moderate' eatery, hands down, I pick Boma. To me, WCC has really gone downhill. For the 'grab-n-go', the Mara is larger and seems like it has more of a selection. Of course, they also have ZD's.....:teeth:

...absolutely! The AKL is the baby brother of the WL (designed by the same architect) so there are abvious similarities....however, WL has that great lake that AKL doesn't have, and the AKL has the animals that WL lacks. Personally, both '5-star' restaurants are equal (different, but equal). As far as the 'moderate' eatery, hands down, I pick Boma. To me, WCC has really gone downhill. For the 'grab-n-go', the Mara is larger and seems like it has more of a selection. Of course, they also have ZD's.....:teeth:

And my favorite (since I'm allergic to caffeine & chocolate, so no ZD's - I know the horror!:scared1: ) Mickey Waffels at Mara. Something Roaring Fork did not have.

And my favorite (since I'm allergic to caffeine & chocolate, so no ZD's - I know the horror!:scared1: ) Mickey Waffels at Mara. Something Roaring Fork did not have.

...and don't forget the stew in the bread bowl, and the African wines, and the cocount tiramisu, and the.....

All this talk of food........and Zebra Domes!!!!!! Anyone need a fix? Here ya go:

Disney2007283.jpg

...and don't forget the stew in the bread bowl, and the African wines, and the cocount tiramisu, and the.....

and the... and the... and the...

Thanks a lot.

It's getting worse...now my Mom wants to come, so we may end up in 2 rooms at All Star Movies. :headache:

All this talk of food........and Zebra Domes!!!!!! Anyone need a fix? Here ya go:

Disney2007283.jpg

Those look for yummy! I've heard so much about them, can someone explain what they are. DH & I will be staying at the AKL in April and I think we're going to have to give these a try!

I don't think my BIL will be coming...I hope not, since WL can't hold 3 adults and 2 kids. UGH - then what do I do.
Shhhh - I even made ADR's for 4 people at Chef Mickey's and Hollywood and Vine. So fingers crossed he stays home...(OK that sounds really bad) It's not that I don't like him - I really do - he's a great guy. It's just easier to plan/reserve things for 4 rather than 5 people.

I know what you mean. My mom wants to come on our next trip so I'm hoping DH doesn't come so we don't have to get two rooms. Not that I don't WANT him to come, but...:rolleyes1

Well, we're planning another AKL trip! We can't seem to settle on any other resort. :laughing: DH made reservations for the Swan on my teacher's discount, but then he looked into it and said, "But water view AKL is $300 more."

Hmmmm... $300 is pretty significant. But let's factor in refrigerator rental for 10 days and that figure comes down a bit.

AKL it is then! :love:

Hey there JAMBO gang! I'm home from another FANTASTIC trip to AKL. This time I stayed in a "standard" AKV studio (meaning my balcony view was pool.) I was in room 5406, which is a lobby room right by the suspension bridge. I loved the location and the room was beautiful! :cloud9:

The construction was a non-issue. There were workers there during the day, but I never heard any noise (even when I was at the end of Kudu trail outside on the stairs). The animals didn't seem the least bit concerned about the construction either! One morning, 4 zebras were "playing" down at the end of Kudu trail. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen! I took pictures, but sure wish I'd had a video camera with me! Another day, 2 giraffes were almost in the same spot (near the new barn), swooping down and whacking each other's hind quarters with their heads!! :laughing: They didn't seem mad or aggressive, just kept whacking each other!

On Wednesday (Jan 30th), I was walking around DS when a young woman's beautiful hair caught my eye. I thought it looked familiar. :scratchin When I saw her face, I immediately knew it was........... Flossbolna! :) We only talked for a couple minutes, but it was great to meet her! (she and her friend had gotten in late the night before and her friend was still back at the room) She's just as pretty and lovely as she looks in the picture she posted some pages back!

I hope to get some pictures posted in the next couple of days.

On Wednesday (Jan 30th), I was walking around DS when a young woman's beautiful hair caught my eye. I thought it looked familiar. :scratchin When I saw her face, I immediately knew it was........... Flossbolna! :) We only talked for a couple minutes, but it was great to meet her! (she and her friend had gotten in late the night before and her friend was still back at the room) She's just as pretty and lovely as she looks in the picture she posted some pages back!

That's so cool. It must have been funny to meet up with a "cyber friend" on vacation. Glad you had a good trip!

Hey there JAMBO gang! I'm home from another FANTASTIC trip to AKL. This time I stayed in a "standard" AKV studio (meaning my balcony view was pool.) I was in room 5406, which is a lobby room right by the suspension bridge. I loved the location and the room was beautiful! :cloud9:

The construction was a non-issue. There were workers there during the day, but I never heard any noise (even when I was at the end of Kudu trail outside on the stairs). The animals didn't seem the least bit concerned about the construction either! One morning, 4 zebras were "playing" down at the end of Kudu trail. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen! I took pictures, but sure wish I'd had a video camera with me! Another day, 2 giraffes were almost in the same spot (near the new barn), swooping down and whacking each other's hind quarters with their heads!! :laughing: They didn't seem mad or aggressive, just kept whacking each other!

YAY! :yay: New pictures! I am glad to hear you had another great trip. :goodvibes

Those look for yummy! I've heard so much about them, can someone explain what they are. DH & I will be staying at the AKL in April and I think we're going to have to give these a try!

They are very yummy! They are soft & creamy on the inside, with a kind of chocolaty flavor, but there are more flavors inside than chocolate. I have to say they are kind of hard to describe. But they are good!

Welcome back home! I cannot wait to see your pics of the zebra's playing! And how neat to bump into someone from the Dis!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter