Just at a loss... Never stayed in a Deluxe and want to know if they are worth it. Halp!

Stayed at PORS for three vacations ( 2008/2010/2012 ) All 14 night trips..Loved it...Our dream came true in 2014 and we got a whopping 40% discount for WL...Was actually cheaper to stay there than PORS..We went back to WL last year,( no discount ) and have booked for next year..I have many friends here in Scotland who ask how much a Disney vacation would cost them..I usually set them a target of what would be their price and work it out as everyone will have different total cost how much they want to pay..P.S..I have friends who have recently returned from 14 nights at AKL...Two adults and two kids ( 6 and 8 ) Standard room...Including flights from Glasgow they spent almost $15,000... Yep...Fifthteen thousand dollars..I still scratch my head how much it cost them..

It's all up to you, of course, but for me, I would not pay an additional $1500 to stay at WL over POR. I know they're not, but I consider them about equal. To me, the main advantage of WL over POR is transportation is a little easier, especially to MK and Epcot and when staying at POR I'll go for a rental car. In different ways, I think POR is as beautiful as WL. This isn't a slam at all at WL - its my favorite Deluxe (so far)...I just don't think its worth that much of a difference.

Value is terribly subjective both for the individual and the situation or circumstances. We would never both to stay club level at WDW but do when we visit Toronto for the weekend. So really only you can answer the question but it seems that you're not convinced of the value. If you want to stay deluxe, why not opt for a standard room rather than a 1-bedroom? I would imagine the price differential is reasonably substantial. We always stay deluxe but for two of us, a 1-bedroom isn't necessary. We have had rooms with a king-sized bed which we find tend to be (or feel) larger. There aren't many of them but that might be a request you could make. WL isn't one that we've stayed in (done AKL, GF, BWI, BC) but we find the standard rooms to be a reasonable size for two people (although AKL is much smaller than the others but the hotel and grounds are nice enough to compensate IMO).

Just an update in case anyone was interested in my what I decided. So after going over it in my head over and over again, I took the opinion of many here and switched back to POR. I figured $1500 is like another small vacation or cheap cruise and could use the money later for more fun things. BUT....just this morning I found a great compromise online. I found a studio at Old KeY west on sale this morning under their "enchanted escape" deal and because it was on sale and POR was not (rack rate) it only turned out to be like $150 more than POR. So I switched to that! I know its not the WL and Ive heard OKW is getting aged but it's different, is techincally a deluxe, slightly bigger studio room and hey Ive never been there so why not try it. Plus it does have the boat service to DS which I love and was one of my favorite things about POR. So thats how it all turned out. Im happy, we'll see if I made the right decision. And of course I'll keep stalking the next month in case something else comes available. Thanks again for all the great advise. You guys are awesome! Also, if anyone has any comments about OKW - good or bad, let me know :)

Woot woot!!! I am happy for you....now all you need to do is when you are around him play Jimmy Buffett and a little steel drum...subliminal influence...in the car, when he comes over, humming it when your cooking dinner. Of course my trick with DH was leaving the Disney Guide Book in the bathroom....

The best of both worlds, deluxe with a large studio more space, easy to park near your room and carry in a few groceries.

Oh that's awesome! You'll have to come back and let us all know how it was! I've never stayed there and I'd love to hear about it. I'm sure you guys will have a great time!

Sounds like a great solution! I hear Olivia's is a pretty good restaurant too - casual but good. I love the conch chowder at OKW and the boat service to DS - Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter