Live from SSR--and I hate it!

I was told for all those people who make it there career to constantly complain about everything, your name goes on a list. Hopefully this is true. But if I worried about every little thing on my vacation it would be over before I new it.

See, I just couldn't even tell you the problems we may have had with our rooms. I just don't let it be a big deal or part of my vacation. If there is dust, I wipe it off, if there are spiders, I squish them and wipe away the cobwebs, if there is mildew or dirt on the balcony, I wash it away. I cannot recall a single time I have ever called housekeeping or maintenance for anything to be fixed or cleaned.

The ONLY time we have ever switched rooms was when we stayed at Jambo House and I used points for a savannah room and we ended up looking at a fence and "people pen". That had nothing to do with the room, it was clearly one of the rooms that needed to be recategorized.

I guess you could say we've been lucky, but I honestly think we are in the 99% majority who don't expect perfection and are just grateful to be on vacation with our families in the most magical place on earth!

See, I just couldn't even tell you the problems we may have had with our rooms. I just don't let it be a big deal or part of my vacation. If there is dust, I wipe it off, if there are spiders, I squish them and wipe away the cobwebs, if there is mildew or dirt on the balcony, I wash it away. I cannot recall a single time I have ever called housekeeping or maintenance for anything to be fixed or cleaned.

The ONLY time we have ever switched rooms was when we stayed at Jambo House and I used points for a savannah room and we ended up looking at a fence and "people pen". That had nothing to do with the room, it was clearly one of the rooms that needed to be recategorized.

I guess you could say we've been lucky, but I honestly think we are in the 99% majority who don't expect perfection and are just grateful to be on vacation with our families in the most magical place on earth!

Us too! The only time we have had an issue was when we once arrived at our OKW studio to find the bar engaged from the inside. I used a house phone, called maintenance and they were there in a few minutes. They were stymied as to how it could have happened since the door between the studio and 1BR was also locked. It was a first floor unit so perhaps someone locked it and went out over the balcony as a joke. :confused: In any event, they cut the bar off, let us in and then installed a new lock...all within 15-20 minutes.

Dust, the odd candy wrapper, a bug, a dirty dish?...no big deal. I just take care of it and move on with my day.

Unfortunately, these threads are all too predictable. Someone documents a laundry list of "deficiencies" and then others chime in to claim the deficiencies lie with the poster and not with the room.

It's deja vu all over again!

Over the years I've been a member I've had issues & complaints about a number of rooms but only twice did I demand to be moved.

Once was BWV where I had requested no Handicapped accessible room (actually my original reservation had the request but when my waitlist came through they neglected to transfer the request). You guessed it, they put us in a HA accessible room that we couldn't even hardly close the sliding pocket door for the bathroom. I don't see how a handicapped individual would have been able to budge that door either.

The second time was at SSR. The bed was either broken or knocked off the platform so badly that it was obviously not flat/level the way it should be. As soon as Maintenance came in the room they gave it the same crooked-eyed look I had when I first saw it. They moved me to a different room immediately. I don't understand how the mousekeepers let that one get by without reporting it. That room never should have been put on the ready for occupancy list.

As to the OP comment about the spider webs all over the walls. Every outdoor surface I've ever seen at WDW in the parks and all the resorts is routinely covered with cobwebs. It's normal for down there just as the lovebugs are.

I guess PrincessSarah314 doesn't handle nature & the outdoors too well.

Unfortunately, these threads are all too predictable. Someone documents a laundry list of "deficiencies" and then others chime in to claim the deficiencies lie with the poster and not with the room.

No one is saying that the complainers didn't see what they saw, but the fact that such a big deal was made out of them is ridiculous. Instead of grabbing a washcloth and quickly dusting the table, they demand to be moved to the Grand Floridian? It is not that we are saying there were some deficiencies, but do they really necessitate being compensated?

Personally, I think people know Disney wants them to be happy so they will complain over everything just to get something for free.

You may also notice that these posters rarely return to their threads once they are called out on the carpet.:rolleyes1

No one is saying that the complainers didn't see what they saw, but the fact that such a big deal was made out of them is ridiculous. Instead of grabbing a washcloth and quickly dusting the table, they demand to be moved to the Grand Floridian? It is not that we are saying there were some deficiencies, but do they really necessitate being compensated?

Personally, I think people know Disney wants them to be happy so they will complain over everything just to get something for free.

You may also notice that these posters rarely return to their threads once they are called out on the carpet.:rolleyes1

I'm simply pointing out a predictable pattern on these boards without commenting on the merits of either the denigrators or the defenders.

I don't think so. The statement about the hallways being dark, could only be true if all the hallway lights are out, very unlikely, and definitely not true during the day.

There is a huge difference in perception and reality. Reality being that unless all the lights are out in the hallway, it is not dark.

I have been moved twice at SSR--both times because we wanted an HA studio and the one we got had the bed so close to the closet that it would be impossible for someone mobility impaired (using a walker or wheelchair) to get to the closet. The first time it took HOURS to resolve. The next trip they moved us almost immediately. I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere as a result.

I've noticed at the Grand Californian that they have flipped the confliguration so in the HA studios the sofa is next to the closet and the bed is next to the sliding door--so much easier this way. I wish they would do the same at SSR.

I only replied and gave some of my experiences about things that happened to us.

Like all the DVC owners I would like to believe that the units are being cleaned and maintained. If you have a dust mite allergy, mold allergy or cockroach. These things can make you sick. There shouldn't be layers of dust or bugs in bathroom lights or dust hanging from vents.

Just like there are wonderful and clean rooms there are also shabby and dirty ones. I really don't want to stay is a filthy room.

Just as everyone says report broken items etc so they can be fixed. I would like a clean room so we aren't sick during our stay.

I have cleaned my rooms and wiped things down and have asked for dusting rags etc. When I can't reach the ceiling fan full of dust or have the tools to take apart a light which is full of bugs. I really think housekeeping or maintenance need to take care of them.

I really thought we were here to help each other and offer advice, sometimes just to hear that a fellow DVC or Disney lover had a problem and resolved it.

I can't imagine that most people ask to be moved to another resort just to a room that is clean or not broken. We all want a wonderful vacation and the room does play a huge part.:wizard::wizard:

I only replied and gave some of my experiences about things that happened to us.

Like all the DVC owners I would like to believe that the units are being cleaned and maintained. If you have a dust mite allergy, mold allergy or cockroach. These things can make you sick. There shouldn't be layers of dust or bugs in bathroom lights or dust hanging from vents.

Just like there are wonderful and clean rooms there are also shabby and dirty ones. I really don't want to stay is a filthy room.

Just as everyone says report broken items etc so they can be fixed. I would like a clean room so we aren't sick during our stay.

I have cleaned my rooms and wiped things down and have asked for dusting rags etc. When I can't reach the ceiling fan full of dust or have the tools to take apart a light which is full of bugs. I really think housekeeping or maintenance need to take care of them.

I really thought we were here to help each other and offer advice, sometimes just to hear that a fellow DVC or Disney lover had a problem and resolved it.

I can't imagine that most people ask to be moved to another resort just to a room that is clean or not broken. We all want a wonderful vacation and the room does play a huge part.:wizard::wizard:

I really wish we had a "like " button around here!!! But soo true on your comments, have been there and done a done a great deal of what you said!

I don't think so. The statement about the hallways being dark, could only be true if all the hallway lights are out, very unlikely, and definitely not true during the day.

There is a huge difference in perception and reality. Reality being that unless all the lights are out in the hallway, it is not dark.

Everyone's perception is different based on the total of their life experience. Reality is also not always so clear cut. At what point is it dark? Is it the absence of all light or at the transition point from being light to not being light?

We own at SSR and stay there often. The location to DTD is wonderful and we have always had a pleasant experience with the rooms, resort in general, and staff.

The only resort I ever had a cleanliness issue with was WL in a concierge level room. The vent was covered in dust and the room just wasn't as clean as I expected from WDW. I called mousekeeping and they took care of it, no biggie.

Honestly, if someone has such a severe dust mite allergy, they probably shouldn't be staying in a hotel. The amount of dust in the carpets and mattresses is going to make them sick and there is not much housekeeping can do about it. If you have a severe mold allergy, then you probably shouldn't be going on vacation in Florida. It is impossible to avoid it in the heat and humidity down there. It is heaven for mold spores. Regardless of how much they clean, there is going to be some somewhere.

The same can be said for bugs. They could take apart those lights after each and every visit and remove the bugs, but at what cost? Would you rather have the toilet and shower cleaned or the light fixture? I understand that sometimes there is a lot of dust or bugs in a light fixture or in the vent, but the housekeepers have a list of things that they HAVE to get done and a short amount of time to do them. I am sure they go in and get busy and often don't notice those other things. A simple call to housekeeping or just wiping things down yourself goes a long way. We have mostly only found dusty rooms when they have been empty for a few days and housekeeping hasn't been in there.

I guess it is all perception.....bugs in the light and dust on the ceiling fan does not make a room "shabby" in my perception, but clearly others feel differently. I am a neat freak, I want everything put away and in its place, but I am far from a clean freak! My house has dust and yeah, the floors could use a mopping, but I'd rather go out and play with my kids than worry about it. I think it is all very personal as to how clean something is or isn't.

We own at SSR and stay there often. The location to DTD is wonderful and we have always had a pleasant experience with the rooms, resort in general, and staff.

The only resort I ever had a cleanliness issue with was WL in a concierge level room. The vent was covered in dust and the room just wasn't as clean as I expected from WDW. I called mousekeeping and they took care of it, no biggie.

I guess this is what I expect from most people. Just get it taken care of. Don't demand to be moved or compensated and then come on a message board and declare how awful an entire resort is.:thumbsup2

A light meter could be used and I personally think it would show that many areas of the corridors at SSR are dark and I am referring to them being dark during the day. Once the lights are turned on they are better. I believe I understand what the OP is referring to although I do not find it something to complain about.

I guess this is what I expect from most people. Just get it taken care of. Don't demand to be moved or compensated and then come on a message board and declare how awful an entire resort is.:thumbsup2

That was my initial thought as well.

OP came on here to make a point about 1) DVC in general and 2) SSR.

She was moved (still don't know if we as DVC members paid for that upgrade, or she paid herself) to GF, and by posting that, she also made a point.

OP has not been back, so perhaps we will never know what actually happened in her getting a room at GF.

Tiger

I am surprised you don't like SSR.

I know there have been times pretty much at any of our resorts where something was dirty or we didn't like, but it happens everyhwere and was fixed right away.

Other than that SSR is awesome I think. Its big, not crowded all over the place, so close to DTD and we love the rooms and colors.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

SSR is our home resort and we love it. By comparison, the rooms we've had at SSR are much nicer, brighter, and cleaner than the rooms we've had at the Poly. I still want to know how she got moved to GF and was she a DVC owner staying on points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter