Live from SSR--and I hate it!

Okay, now you are being absurd. You call maintenance if the furniture is broken or a cord is missing. If there is a little mess, like something sticky on the counter, you open up the sponge package and wipe it up. If you find dirt all over the place or the floor sticky all over, you call housekeeping and give them a chance to clean it up for you. And if you don't call about these kinds of problems, shame on you for leaving the problem for the next guest. We are owners at these places and should be helping to resolve problems when we find them and not just complain.

Since the OP wasn't staying at least four nights, she wasn't going to get any housekeeping at all unless she called and asked for them to fix her problem.

We've seldom had problems that couldn't be fixed with a quick phone call to Maintenance or Housekeeping. Or a visit to the front desk.

Completely my point. The reason the OP originally called was for a dirty bathroom floor, cobwebs, and I believe ants on the pillows. Then they were sent into another sub par room. I was saying that to show how absurd the persons claim was that I didn't know that the people who said they cleaned up what was messy themselves didn't call to complain as well.

If anyone here can say that the treatment of the OP has not been unkind and downright rude than they need to step back and take a good look at the posts on this thread, then do a little self reflection.

I said as well that if people don't complain to the front desk it will never be addressed. That is what the OP did and they were moved, good for them and after toting their stuff to two sub par rooms they deserve a special magic moment. I think Disney did a great job. :woohoo:

You are very lucky and for others reading these posts, DVC members are rarely upgraded or moved to a non DVC resort. We have had issues with rooms over the years and on more than one occasion we were told by Maintenance to go to the Front Desk to get a new room. Each time when they found out that we were DVC owners we were told that there was nothing that they could do because of DVC policy. DVC later told us that not moving us was the resorts decision and not DVC's.

:earsboy: Bill

When I called MS they did tell us that it was up to the resort as to whether or not they would move us. We definitely did get lucky in that aspect. We were just hoping to be moved to another DVC resort.

Completely my point. The reason the OP originally called was for a dirty bathroom floor, cobwebs, and I believe ants on the pillows. Then they were sent into another sub par room. I was saying that to show how absurd the persons claim was that I didn't know that the people who said they cleaned up what was messy themselves didn't call to complain as well.

If anyone here can say that the treatment of the OP has not been unkind and downright rude than they need to step back and take a good look at the posts on this thread, then do a little self reflection.

I said as well that if people don't complain to the front desk it will never be addressed. That is what the OP did and they were moved, good for them and after toting their stuff to two sub par rooms they deserve a special magic moment. I think Disney did a great job. :woohoo:

However, she didn't let Housekeeping try to fix it for her. She immediately wanted to move to a different resort.

The bathroom floor is dirty--visible dirt all over the tiles. The bathroom door has cobwebs all over it. The room is very worn looking, and has a layer of dust on it. I'm guessing it's been empty for some time before we checked in, as it was hot and the thermostat was set to 75.

The hallways are very, very dark. There are spiderwebs all over the walls when walking through the hallways. The bed is not comfortable, it feels very worn out.

Our room is near the laundry, pool, and bus though. I think I may call MS and try to get a room (resort) change so we're not stuck here for the next 3 nights. Thoughts?

So instead of letting Housekeeping fix the problem, she asked to be moved. And she was. To a renovated room. And then she asked again to be moved instead of asking for the problem to be resolved. And nothing about ants at all. Either in the first room or the second room.

And usually the thermostats are set go to 75 when they aren't occupied to keep energy costs down. We keep ours set to about 78 in the summer time and we find it comfortable. Especially when you compare it to 95+ and high humidity outside.

However, she didn't let Housekeeping try to fix it for her. She immediately wanted to move to a different resort.

So instead of letting Housekeeping fix the problem, she asked to be moved. And she was. To a renovated room. And then she asked again to be moved instead of asking for the problem to be resolved. And nothing about ants at all. Either in the first room or the second room.

And usually the thermostats are set go to 75 when they aren't occupied to keep energy costs down. We keep ours set to about 78 in the summer time and we find it comfortable. Especially when you compare it to 95+ and high humidity outside.

I actually requested a different room the 1st time. I did ask for a refurbed room, and they were able to accomodate that request.

The ants were red ants, on the pillow, in the 1st room. I don't recall mentioning that here, but I did tell Hazzard that via text on that day while everything was going on.

The quote says I may request a room (resort) change. Thoughts?

This is me saying I'm considering asking for a new room and wondering if others knew if a resort change was even a possibility. Maybe the wording wasn't super concise, but it was a quick post, not an English essay.

Oh please, show me by direct quote where I attacked Sarah. I asked questions and she answered. I don't think she was upset about any of it.

I just can't leave this be, as much as I probably should. Although there were several posters on this thread that were more disrespectful, you did say her experience was impossible, called her unrealistic, and commented that her perception wasn't based in reality... You might not have felt you were rude, but how would you feel if someone said those things about you? Instead of demanding that others prove you didn't, perhaps you can re-read your own posts to see how your words might've hurt her. And yes, she was upset, but not solely by your comments.

EVERYONE JUST SIMMER DOWN...
the op was just asking for "thoughts"..not people to bash her about complaining about lighting and bugs...To be honset i am not a big bug fan so if i saw cobwebs and dirty tiles at a DELUXE resort i would be calling front desk and asking them to clean it..if not..change rooms!

I am not a DVC member but would LOVE LOVE LOVE to become one..so if im paying as a non dvc member without points..then i would expect a well cleaned room!

I understand that nobody is perfect...(trust me i know..:rotfl:) but if my room is a hot mess..then im outta there!

I live in florida thank you and i experiecne the humidity so we also have bugs sometimes..but i would like a well cleaned room!

BTW to the people saying that "its florida and there are bugs" I have ALWAYS stayed at ASM or POP, and i have yet to see a bug in the rooms when i check in so it was a missed job by the mousekeepers:confused3 I'll just tell them

Leave the OP alone ok people? I wouldnt want to stay in a room like that for the money either...would you?:rolleyes1

Dont jump to conclusions about the OP when you don't even know her;)

I just can't leave this be, as much as I probably should. Although there were several posters on this thread that were more disrespectful, you did say her experience was impossible, called her unrealistic, and commented that her perception wasn't based in reality... You might not have felt you were rude, but how would you feel if someone said those things about you? Instead of demanding that others prove you didn't, perhaps you can re-read your own posts to see how your words might've hurt her. And yes, she was upset, but not solely by your comments.

This!

I can't believe the amount of bullying that has taken place on this thread by posters who don't know the facts. Bottom line, the rooms should be in clean, livable conditions. In my opinion, red ants crawling on a pillow is not livable, neither is having broken furniture.

As a DVC member, I'm happy that she reported the room issues. Otherwise, how do they ever get fixed? Unfortunately, many of the posters jumping on the OP are the same posters who always ask if the problems were reported. Then, when someone reports how the problem was handled, people still aren't happy. But then again, I pointed out something positive on another thread and got jumped on for that. :confused3

It REALLY is absurb how this thread has progressed. First of all I am an owner at SSR and when we purchased had no desire to stay there at all (especially since they stopped fireworks at Downtown Disney), but over the years, we have had occasion to stay there several times. I have really grown to enjoy it especially after learning which areas of SSR we like more than others.

With that being said, we as DVC owners have the responibility to let DVC and Disney know that we will not tolerate OUR HOMES being treated (or mistreated) in a manner that they are in this state. And yes I am one of those that would call and question (yes and even request satisfation). Afterall, if we see these issuses and don't complain about them, we are telling DVC "it's ok to lower your standards, we don't care". I feel the OP was correct in requesting a new room the first time. And if it were me, if I was given a supposedly refurbished room and it was in the condition she stated, I would request to be moved as well! The fact that they happened to be moved to GF was just pixie dust for them.

As for the treatment of the OP by some here (not all so, don't start flaming me too), to make assumptions on a person's personallity or motives with no basis of fact is far beyond unconsionable(sp?). If many of you had been thru the exact situations you might have been tempted to use the word "hate" in a post title as well. And, instead of offering an appology (again for some of you) when the OP does responds or someone else takes the OP's side and makes valid points, you simply feel you must defend your arrogant attitudes. This is suppose to be a forum for support not bashing. :grouphug:

Again and I think I said this earlier, it all about one's perception. Many find AKV dark, but I found it not to be.

Doesn't make either of us wrong just different.

That's why I mentioned the light meter since there is a definite unevenness in lighting at SSR, mostly on the first floor but you can find it on other floors also. This is something different from AKV which has dark colors that absorb light. As another poster mentioned it's not like it's unsafe but SSR is rather unique out of DVC's for that. At the hotel style DVC's the indoor hallways are lit both day and night. At OKW the "hallways" skirt the edges of the buildings and have generally good, even lighting (at least all I've been in but I haven't stayed in the config that is more U shaped so maybe it's different). SSR has corridors that cut back into the building and it leaves dark areas when the lights are not on during the day. The hallway to the first studio I stayed in at SSR was dark. Not trip over a suitcase dark but I couldn't have taken a picture there during the day without a flash and I could do that in most any other DVC hallway. The hallway at the second studio I stayed in was mixed. The hallway going to our 1BR was on the second floor and was better than the previous two - mostly receiving outside light. And the hallways to the 2BR were fine for lighting.

We just got back from Disney last week. OKW is our home resort and our very favorite. When not at Disney, we typically stay in Hampton Inns, so it's not like I'm expecting lavish surroundings. I'm sad to say that our two rooms at OKW reminded me of the Super 8 we had to stay in one time when our truck died on the interstate and we had to be towed 30 miles to the nearest town. Nothing was wrong with the Super 8, mind you, for $40 a night in Hebron, Indiana, but I don't want my beloved OKW to be comparable to a Super 8.

It wasn't horribly dirty, but it wasn't spotless like it used to be, either. I've bragged to my mother about how clean Disney resorts are for years, so I was disappointed to have her see it like this since it was only her second time at Disney. The sheets and blankets were threadbare. The bathroom floor had piles of dust in the corners. Again, not filthy, just not something I was proud of. I hope this is an isolated incident, but I have to say we've stayed at AKV, SS, Pop Century (cash, not points of course) and BLT in the past few years and only BLT, which is brand new, was as clean as I used to expect from Disney.

We love the mini kitchen, the two queen sized beds, and of course the proximity to Disney.

Wow Im so shocked by this thread :eek:

Firstly I feel so sorry for the Op for having to get the responces to her thread that she did!! Im shocked at how some have judged her and called her names without having a clue about what the room did look like! and also about how she must be some demanding princess :confused3 I have been coming to Disney world since i was 3 yrs old and my parents have been coming since Disney very 1st opened and you bought individual tickets for rides:laughing: so we are a Disney loving family..That said if something was at all wrong or NOT up to the Disney standard with dirty rooms etc then i will definatly be complaining.

I wont be cleaning,scrubbing & dusting on my holiday NO WAY I save for over a yr to take this holiday with my family and do enough cleaning etc at home so I dont expect to do it on my time off :sad2: If i find that there are dirt and dust in the room then it means the room has been rushed through and not cleaned properly!
We had to call house keeping back to our room at AKL as it was sooo dusty that my sons and mines allergy kicked off after an hour of being in the room house keeping was called and the room cleaned!

Again Im so sorry Op that you got the responce you did I never once thought from your title or post that you was a demanding princess that hated SSR no matter what and was out to get what you could.............Im pleased that you was moved and you enjoyed the rest of your trip :flower3:

...We had to call house keeping back to our room at AKL as it was sooo dusty that my sons and mines allergy kicked off after an hour of being in the room house keeping was called and the room cleaned! ...

I'm glad you gave Housekeeping the chance to fix their mistake. Did you like the room afterwards?

As a relative newcomer to the boards- I must say that all of the "attack posts" on the OP will definitely make me think twice about posting ANYTHING on these boards. For some of us, a trip to WDW is a culmination of a lot of saving and financial sacrifice. I, for one, don't expect to save my pennies for a year to pay an exorbitant amount of money for a dirty and/or neglected room. Good for you, OP, and I hope your vacation was salvaged.

As a relative newcomer to the boards- I must say that all of the "attack posts" on the OP will definitely make me think twice about posting ANYTHING on these boards. For some of us, a trip to WDW is a culmination of a lot of saving and financial sacrifice. I, for one, don't expect to save my pennies for a year to pay an exorbitant amount of money for a dirty and/or neglected room. Good for you, OP, and I hope your vacation was salvaged.

Please feel free to post, as it is a wonderful board.

I don't encourage nor justify rude language nor "attacks" (although what is an attack to someone, may not be to someone else), but the problem with this thread is that based on the OP's usage of the word "hate" some people took it very personally.

Also, many of us have had bigger problems than the OP described, and we were not able to be moved to another DVC resort, much less GF. Based on the limited info of the OP, some people assumed that she may have demanded to be moved to the most expensive resort on property. None of these justify rudeness, but I think they added to the confusion for many. What was the true intention in posting a thread titled she "hated" a resort, and then getting moved to the GF?

It was great that the OP came back to clarify, but she posted the word "hate" in order to make a point about her stay.

It definitely sounds like the OP had issues, as most of us have. Some of us clean up after ourselves in this situation. Heck, we go for 2 week stays, and pretty much don't use housekeeping the entire time we are there - we clean the floors, laundry, dishes, change/wash sheets and towels ourselves. This works for us, but it doesn't work for all. On a consistent basis there are some housekeeping issues, and I will say a lot of that has to do with 1) overworked and not enough housekeepers and 2) lack of care on the part of guests. We can't stand seeing the bags of garbage outside in the hallways, so know what we do? We throw out our own garbage as we are walking to our car. Imagine that! Honestly, if we all worked together to help out, there would be less housekeeping issues, IMHO. We leave our room after a 2 week stay in fabulous condition, but we know many do not.

It is best to give housekeeping a chance to fix issues, and to move to another room. If there are still issues, then the member has a right to seek further help from the resort, and we can all agree on that.

This thread has shown that some of us really take care of ourselves, some use housekeeping to the fullest potential and some fall in between. Hopefully this thread shows that as members, we have to report problems as soon as we find them, but things like cob webs are always there, as that is the climate in Florida. We are very allergic to spiders, and so we know that this is a problem in that climate, so hubby removes webs, and we do a quick check to make sure no major spiders around the villa.

If OP felt threatened or attacked, then that is unfortunate, for all of us who work hard to keep this board as a welcoming atmosphere.

I hope the OP had a great trip, despite her earlier troubles at SSR.

Tiger

Please feel free to post, as it is a wonderful board.

I don't encourage nor justify rude language nor "attacks" (although what is an attack to someone, may not be to someone else), but the problem with this thread is that based on the OP's usage of the word "hate" some people took it very personally.

Also, many of us have had bigger problems than the OP described, and we were not able to be moved to another DVC resort, much less GF. Based on the limited info of the OP, some people assumed that she may have demanded to be moved to the most expensive resort on property. None of these justify rudeness, but I think they added to the confusion for many. What was the true intention in posting a thread titled she "hated" a resort, and then getting moved to the GF?

It was great that the OP came back to clarify, but she posted the word "hate" in order to make a point about her stay.

It definitely sounds like the OP had issues, as most of us have. Some of us clean up after ourselves in this situation. Heck, we go for 2 week stays, and pretty much don't use housekeeping the entire time we are there - we clean the floors, laundry, dishes, change/wash sheets and towels ourselves. This works for us, but it doesn't work for all. On a consistent basis there are some housekeeping issues, and I will say a lot of that has to do with 1) overworked and not enough housekeepers and 2) lack of care on the part of guests. We can't stand seeing the bags of garbage outside in the hallways, so know what we do? We throw out our own garbage as we are walking to our car. Imagine that! Honestly, if we all worked together to help out, there would be less housekeeping issues, IMHO. We leave our room after a 2 week stay in fabulous condition, but we know many do not.

It is best to give housekeeping a chance to fix issues, and to move to another room. If there are still issues, then the member has a right to seek further help from the resort, and we can all agree on that.

This thread has shown that some of us really take care of ourselves, some use housekeeping to the fullest potential and some fall in between. Hopefully this thread shows that as members, we have to report problems as soon as we find them, but things like cob webs are always there, as that is the climate in Florida. We are very allergic to spiders, and so we know that this is a problem in that climate, so hubby removes webs, and we do a quick check to make sure no major spiders around the villa.

If OP felt threatened or attacked, then that is unfortunate, for all of us who work hard to keep this board as a welcoming atmosphere.

I hope the OP had a great trip, despite her earlier troubles at SSR.

Tiger

Excellent post, Tiger. Well thought out.

Welcome to a fellow Alabamian, and I have to say I agree with you. I rarely post anything over here on the DVC boards due to a few posters.

Given the circumstances, the OP did the right thing. If the powers that be at SSR decided that sending her over to GF after two moves in one day was the right thing, then so be it. I'm glad they took care of her. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter