Live from SSR--and I hate it!

SSR is hands-down my favorite resort.

I'm sorry that the OP was disappointed with it, but also that they were able to get a resolution. With the move to the GF, I'm really thinking this wasn't a points stay.

I will agree with the OP on her point about the hallways at SSR, in that they are not bright, cheery places. They're not dark to the point of being a personal security issue, but when you get to the sections where there aren't any window openings, yeah, I'll concede the point that they're utilitarian and not very attractive. But what the heck, it's a hallway! How much time do you actually spend in it?

I really like the comment about "hotel clean." I think sometimes there really are problems with cleanliness when people get to a room. Other times, I think the expectations are just a little too high. I'll also add that there's an acceptable level of "hotel wear and tear." I don't expect to see pristine furniture like I'm in a furniture store showroom or pristine walls that look like they've just been painted the day before. These rooms get a lot of hard use, and there's going to be some wear. If there's something that's particularly bad, call maintenance. We've always found them to be very responsive (for things that can actually be fixed). I would like to see the refurb schedule increased a little, but I don't think it's incredibly out of sync.

You've got to learn to let the little stuff fall into the static. Someone said in this post that if you go into it expecting not to like a resort, you can absolutely look around closely and find enough little things to self-fulfill that conception.

Let's face it, people are more likely to publish a negative experience rather than a perfect stay. I'm glad the OP let us know, but the fact is Disney has been having issues with housekeeping for years and they don't seem to want to take part of what we invest in a vacation and put it into additional staff.

A few years ago we started our vacation at POR, where we found the sink cleaned with what must have been a filthy towel -which they cleaned pretty quickly. Then we finished the vacation in a 2-BR at AKL, the second bedroom floor was covered in crumbs. ....at that point I handed the vacuum to my daughter and she finished what housekeeping didn't.

The odds are no better or worse at GF vs. SSR or a value or anywhere else for that matter.

Were you there on a point stay, if so how did you get to the Grand Floridian. :confused3

Sorry I haven't been responding to the posts on here, but I hadn't checked the thread! I will try to address everyone's questions and criticisms as time allows me to.

Sammie, we are DVC owners and we were staying on points. We called MS and expressed that we were unhappy at the resort and asked them to look into availability at other DVC resorts for us so that we could make the move. We were told by them that nothing else was available in a studio (which is what we were in) and that we should call down to the front desk (yes, I know it's a call center) and ask for the front desk manager (presumably that would get us the actual front desk manager at the resort?).

We took their advice and called down. We were told that we didn't need to speak with a manager, the woman who took the call would be happy to help us out. We were hoping to be placed at either OKW (we were eager to try both SSR and OKW) or AKL (our home resort). After being on hold for a few moments while she explained our situation to someone, she came on the phone and told us that they would be moving us to GF if that was okay with us. I told her that sounded great.

I never demanded to be moved for free. I never demanded any money back. I didn't tell her I wanted to stay at GF. I simply asked her to check if there was a room available elsewhere on property. I would have accepted POP if she had offered it (I love POP) or any other DVC resort. I did ask her how they would handle the reservation because we were staying on points and was told they were "manually processing it at the current point value".

Hmmmm....We have stayed at SSR many, many times and always loved it. I think some people are very hard to please. Being upgraded to the GF? Did you ask for that? It sounds like you weren't going to be happy until they moved you to another resort. It is sounding more and more like people expect perfection on the part of WDW. Guess what folks? Ain't gonna happen! People are not perfect and we don't live or play (at WDW) in a perfect world.

Alexander, I don't expect perfection. As I stated, we are DVC members. Like I mentioned in a PP, this was one of several stays in the past year. It is the 1st time we've had an issue with a room's cleanliness/maintenance. I also stated that all of the CMs were wonderful to us and the service they gave us during the room changes was fantastic! We were very excited to try SSR on this trip. Unfortunately, it was not a good experience for us.

If you go into anything with the attitude of "I don't want to be here" then.. it becomes self fufilling.

I think a lot of board posters decided "the common view is SSR is bad so I am going along" I admit I was a little worried before my first visit because of the "trash talk" but.... it's actually the ONLY resort where I once spent an entire day "playing" and never saw a park.

So if you walk in going "I hate it here" and start looking for things "gee honey it's night outside and it's dark" then.... (that's all I can figure out on those hallways although they have pretty good light, but I guess if at night you don't take off your sunglasses it's "dark" LOL!)

My rooms are basically hotel clean (and if you plan to eat off a floor at any hotel you need a reality check LOL!)

Sadly, a lot of complaining now is "what can I get for free" and considering the OP wound up at the GF....

We went into the stay excited about trying out SSR. People on the boards here had often said great things about it, and we even had friends on the cruise with us who gave it rave reviews.

The hallways are dark. Yes, they are outdoor hallways, but there are areas where there is very little natural light coming through because of the building design. It was raining the days we were there, so there was no bright sunlight to brighten things up. At night, there were many lights out. I counted at one point, 4 lights out in the same stretch of hallway.

Have to say, we just got home from SSR. We did a 2BR in the Paddock Area. We could not have been happier!!! In fact, would love to be there right now!!!

I wish we had been in the Paddock Area, in a clean room, with nothing broken. The pool there was lovely, and it was more centrally located. It had a different vibe to it than the other areas of the resort, and may have suited us a bit better, but we didn't get that chance.

I was told for all those people who make it there career to constantly complain about everything, your name goes on a list. Hopefully this is true. But if I worried about every little thing on my vacation it would be over before I new it.

Again, this is the 1st time we've had an issue we had to complain about. I've been going to WDW since 1986. If we had issues chronically, we wouldn't have bought into DVC in the 1st place! I highly doubt my name is on a list because the rooms were not maintained/cleaned properly. I didn't demand anything for free, get rude, raise my voice, etc.

No one is saying that the complainers didn't see what they saw, but the fact that such a big deal was made out of them is ridiculous. Instead of grabbing a washcloth and quickly dusting the table, they demand to be moved to the Grand Floridian? It is not that we are saying there were some deficiencies, but do they really necessitate being compensated?

Personally, I think people know Disney wants them to be happy so they will complain over everything just to get something for free.

You may also notice that these posters rarely return to their threads once they are called out on the carpet.:rolleyes1

I will not be taking washcloths and dusting the entire room, and scrubbing the bathroom floors clean--that is housekeepings job. Also, as I have mentioned, I didn't demand to be moved to GF, that was just what was offered to us.

And I have returned to the thread, so no need for eyerolling.

Sammie said:
I don't think anyone wants a room that is not clean, however the OP's description of covered in cob webs, dark, dark hallways, just is not very realistic.

As I said early on, unless lights are out, there is no way open hallways at SSR are dark, even at night.

Unless you were present with the OP, honestly, you have no way of saying that with 100% accuracy.

No where in the posts made by the OP did they indicate that they expected perfection, nor did they say that they demanded to be moved to GF. Accusing them of such is just mean-spirited.

Not everyone has the same experiences. Nor does everyone has the same expectations, or receive the same results. That's life and someone who is unhappy with their experience should be treated just as respectfully as someone who had a magical experience.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

That's life and someone who is unhappy with their experience should be treated just as respectfully as someone who had a magical experience.

Hear, Hear!!! I am more disappointed in how people reacted to the OP than I am in her experience at SSR. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but no one has the right to be disrespectful.

Sorry I haven't been responding to the posts on here, but I hadn't checked the thread! I will try to address everyone's questions and criticisms as time allows me to.

Sammie, we are DVC owners and we were staying on points. We called MS and expressed that we were unhappy at the resort and asked them to look into availability at other DVC resorts for us so that we could make the move. We were told by them that nothing else was available in a studio (which is what we were in) and that we should call down to the front desk (yes, I know it's a call center) and ask for the front desk manager (presumably that would get us the actual front desk manager at the resort?).

We took their advice and called down. We were told that we didn't need to speak with a manager, the woman who took the call would be happy to help us out. We were hoping to be placed at either OKW (we were eager to try both SSR and OKW) or AKL (our home resort). After being on hold for a few moments while she explained our situation to someone, she came on the phone and told us that they would be moving us to GF if that was okay with us. I told her that sounded great.

I never demanded to be moved for free. I never demanded any money back. I didn't tell her I wanted to stay at GF. I simply asked her to check if there was a room available elsewhere on property. I would have accepted POP if she had offered it (I love POP) or any other DVC resort. I did ask her how they would handle the reservation because we were staying on points and was told they were "manually processing it at the current point value".

You are very lucky and for others reading these posts, DVC members are rarely upgraded or moved to a non DVC resort. We have had issues with rooms over the years and on more than one occasion we were told by Maintenance to go to the Front Desk to get a new room. Each time when they found out that we were DVC owners we were told that there was nothing that they could do because of DVC policy. DVC later told us that not moving us was the resorts decision and not DVC's.

:earsboy: Bill

I have just read the entire thread and have a few comments to make about all the posters that are assuming all these things about the OP without ever meeting them.

First, I just had the pleasure of meeting both OP and her BF two weeks ago before going on a Fantasy cruise. My DW and I were at the same resort and going on the same cruise so we met up with them before the cruise. They are both delightful people with great personalities.

We were able to change our table arrangements on the ship so we would be table mates. I have gotten to know the OP over a seven day cruise and there were many times when they could have complained about things and they just let it go. I actually complained a few times when they turned the other cheek.

With that said, we both stayed at Disney after the cruise and we stayed at a different resort. I remember her telling us what was wrong with the room and I told her to complain to the front desk as well. I would have done the same.

The posts about not being able to"please some people" and saying the OP was trying to get something for nothing are not only out of character for these members they are unfair remarks made by people who seem to be DVC bullies that gang up on anyone that have a bad experience and post about it on the boards. I do not know any of you but by the way you attacked her posts and tore apart and analyzed every complaint, I can make an assumption that all of you are always happy with everything in life and never complain about anything. I say good for you.

I have been a DVC member for over three years and love what it has done for my vacation enjoyment. But rest assured I expect no less than a clean room free of excess insects,dust, and dirt and debris. I know how much it costs to be a DVC member and also know the quality of services we were promised when we signed up.

Some of the posts on this thread stated that they would just clean the mess that was left. Some said that the OP was being too picky. It seems that most of you all think the OP didn't want to be at SSR to begin with. I for a fact know they were looking forward to staying there and experiencing the new resort (we talked about it a few times during our time with them)

I think expecting a clean and complete room with functional furnishings and linens free from ants and such is not unreasonable. I will complain every time my room is sub par.

I understand wanting to defend your home resort but when you defend things like sub par rooms and unacceptable cleanliness of resort rooms you downgrade the value of DVC and it's resorts.

Reading this thread as a newcomer interested in buying into DVC , I would walk away with the feeling that dirty rooms and sub par housekeeping along with broken and rundown furniture are business as usual for DVC resorts and wonder why anyone would buy into it.

I apologize to the posters who didn't blast the OP but to the ones that made ugly assumptions and attacked the OP I don't blame her for not returning to the thread. Just because you are willing to accept sub par service from Disney Doesn't mean we don't have the right to warn others about a bad situation.

I could go one step further and blame all the posters that say they clean the rooms themselves for the OP's experience because the management was never told about the problem and the problems with housekeeping and maintenance were never addressed. Think on that one.

Good job OP, thanks for helping bring to light some problems so my next trip to SSR may be a little better. :woohoo:

I guess I just took what the OP stated in her title - Live from SSR -- and I hate it!.

If it were mere disappointment, I would have titled my thread as "Disappointed at SSR now". Not "I hate it!". And I think that colored all the responses.

A light meter could be used and I personally think it would show that many areas of the corridors at SSR are dark and I am referring to them being dark during the day. Once the lights are turned on they are better. I believe I understand what the OP is referring to although I do not find it something to complain about.

Again and I think I said this earlier, it all about one's perception. Many find AKV dark, but I found it not to be.

Doesn't make either of us wrong just different.

Sammie said:
And no where did I say she demanded to be moved, you might want to recheck that. Actually it is mean spirited of you to say I did, when I didn't.

I apologize, I did not mean you specifically in that second part, it was more of a statement in general, as other people had made comments of that nature. I should have specified the transition that was in my mind. Unfortunately, the new app doesn't allow for multi-quotes (or at least that I've discovered so far).

Again, I apologize if I offended you, as that was not my intent. My intent was only to defend the actions of the OP, as I didn't see any problem with complaining if her expectations were not met.

Wouldn't that make you guilty of what you are accusing others of. You don't know any of us except the OP, and true all we know of the OP is her previous posts. You have no idea whether those that say they clean minor problems themselves let housekeeping or maintenance know.

If you go back and read my posts mine are based on what I know about SSR, and I even stated that unless lights are out in the hallways they are not dark to me. I would never call a hallway dark due to the weather outside. That is something even Disney can not control.

If lights were out then Yes they need to be fixed and reported. I guess many of us just call and get things fixed instead of wanting to be moved. That does not make her wrong, or us either though.

I do love these forums though, when someone complains about how someone else was treated due to their comments, and yet they want to blast someone else over their comments. Pot/kettle/black on that.

Plus I think the title of thread sets the tone. Hate is a very strong word to use for a hotel room. Disappointed might actually have gotten the point over better.
Today 04:27 PM

The OPs intent was to share a bad experience and she had the right to her comments. and you have a right to yours.

The difference between SOME posters on this thread that have directly and indirectly called the OP a complaining cry baby who won't clean up after the last guest or accept a dirty crappy broken room. And someone who cannot be pleased and wants something for nothing, and should be put on a list of complainers after being put into two unacceptable rooms not just one. And my post about the said posters is I am going by the text of the posters and the blatant chastising of the OP. You defend your position by saying I am as guilty as the people I have talked about.

I don't feel the need to defend my post because it states facts and is in defense of the OP who was toasted by the likes of a petty group of pot stirrers who defend Disney and themselves weather they are right or wrong.

If you are truly offended offended by my post I am not sorry and unlike the previous poster I will not apologize for defending a person being bullied by a few posters who feel it is alright to "call someone out" about a posted complaint. I guess when someone said she never returned after being"called out" about being moved and complaining. Who gave anyone the right to Call anyone out?

I believe you really do "love do love these forums though, when someone complains about how someone else was treated due to their comments, and yet they want to blast someone else over their comments" that way you have some drama you can stir up. I never blasted anyone in particular but I obviously hit a cord with you so maybe I hit home with some of your feelings.

Those that attacked the OP including yourself have yet to apologize to her so before you start calling the "kettle" any color you might want to stop stirring it first and step back and re read your posts.

Hope you have a magical day filled with love and happiness.

BTW why would you clean the mess yourself and then call and complain about it. unless you were trying to get something out of it or just wanted a pat on your back for a job well done. Please, that was mighty thin.

"Housekeeping, I just called to let you know that the bathroom floor was dirty and there were cobwebs all over the room and dust flying everywhere when we turned on the ceiling fan, and the nightstand top fell off when I tried to turn on the room clock that has no cord. but don't worry about it I cleaned the floor dusted the fan and fixed the nightstand and I will go buy a cord for the clock later. just wanted you to know everything is great in our room now." This is why I rarely post ion these forums. http://disboards.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

...BTW why would you clean the mess yourself and then call and complain about it. unless you were trying to get something out of it or just wanted a pat on your back for a job well done. Please, that was mighty thin.

"Housekeeping, I just called to let you know that the bathroom floor was dirty and there were cobwebs all over the room and dust flying everywhere when we turned on the ceiling fan, and the nightstand top fell off when I tried to turn on the room clock that has no cord. but don't worry about it I cleaned the floor dusted the fan and fixed the nightstand and I will go buy a cord for the clock later. just wanted you to know everything is great in our room now." This is why I rarely post ion these forums. http://disboards.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Okay, now you are being absurd. You call maintenance if the furniture is broken or a cord is missing. If there is a little mess, like something sticky on the counter, you open up the sponge package and wipe it up. If you find dirt all over the place or the floor sticky all over, you call housekeeping and give them a chance to clean it up for you. And if you don't call about these kinds of problems, shame on you for leaving the problem for the next guest. We are owners at these places and should be helping to resolve problems when we find them and not just complain.

Since the OP wasn't staying at least four nights, she wasn't going to get any housekeeping at all unless she called and asked for them to fix her problem.

We've seldom had problems that couldn't be fixed with a quick phone call to Maintenance or Housekeeping. Or a visit to the front desk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter