Loved LeCellier last year, but this year... :(

BluOrchid2

<font color=deeppink>Princess Aurora's Mommy<br><f
Here's my review of Le Cellier last week. :( It was not nearly as nice as our dining experience there last year. This year, it did not feel like an upscale restaurant. Last year, we went at the same time of year, on the free dining plan offer, and couldn't wait to eat at LC again this year but were greatly disappointed.

First of all, it took an additional 30 minutes past our PS time to be seated, which brought us right to 9:00 pm. We were seated just as Illuminations was starting. Since we had last year’s dinner at Le Cellier to base expectations on, we were somewhat disappointed in our meal this time. Service was inattentive. After we were seated, it was a good 5 minutes before our server came by, and 10 minutes or so before we got anything to drink. She was friendly enough, just not very attentive to our needs. DH ordered iced tea, and was not brought a spoon with it. On a refill of my soft drink, my last glass was removed with my straw in it and the straw not replaced with the refill. I was greatly disappointed with the Asian shrimp cocktail, which is no longer being served in the same presentation as last year. Last year, it was served on a rectangular platter, with a Chinese food-to-go box made to appear as if it had spilled out on the plate with the Wasabi slaw forming a bed beneath the shrimp, and I think there was a sauce of some kind drizzled over it all. Very nice presentation. Last night, it arrived thrown into a very deep bowl. It was not a very big serving, so it was all at the bottom of this very deep bowl, and you could not see it very well to appreciate all the colors and textures. The shrimp were smaller, too, than last year.

I ordered the 14 oz Strip Steak, prepared medium. DH ordered the same. Mine arrived medium rare to rare, and I was going to send it back until I noticed Darrin’s was prepared correctly. He sometimes likes his steak not as done as I do, so he traded with me. He even said it was almost too rare for him to eat. The roasted potatoes and whatever the greens on the plate were were unremarkable. Living in Kansas City, we are used to some mighty fine steak, but I expected the same quality from these steaks as they were touted to be Alberta beef. It had a good taste by itself, but they had poured steak sauce all over it. I’ve eaten enough great steaks to know that you don’t ruin a good steak with steak sauce if it’s of high enough quality, so that was disappointing and seemed like a cover-up. Meh.

And BEWARE, if you order the filet mignon, it comes with BBQ SAUCE poured all over it. My MIL was hugely disappointed in it. When you're in the mood for a good filet, the last thing you want is BBQ taste.

I was looking SO forward to having the same dessert I had there last year, a warm apple crumb cobbler served with a scoop of ice cream. Last year, it was served in a single-serving sized cast iron skillet that was about 6 inches across and about 1.5 inches deep. Well, they didn’t have that, but the menu offered a Double Berry Buckle with a scoop of blueberry ice cream so I ordered that. What a huge letdown. The portion size was about 1/3 that of last year’s. It came in something like a custard cup and was mostly the biscuit-y crust stuff, with just a little bit of berry stuff down in the bottom that you had to dig for. And not at all juicy. The scoop of ice cream was about 1.5 inches in diameter, compared to the 2.5” scoop that came with the apple crumb cobbler last year.

DH and Grammy ordered the Crème Brulee sampler, and it was a joke also. Tasted good enough, he said, but the portions were tiny – not even as much as you get at Wolfgang Puck’s Express which is a counter service at DTD. The “sampler” arrived at our table as a divided dish that was about 4” in diameter and about 1” deep with the vanilla crème brulee on one side and the maple crème brulee on the other side. The desserts themselves were only about ½” deep in the dish.

The whole meal was not nearly as special as it was last year. There were several times that our server could not be seen at all, just disappeared for long periods of time. Didn't even see her waiting on other tables, which would have been fine. This meal, I would venture to say, wasn't even as nice as one we could have had at our local Longhorn or Outback Steakhouse.

Boo.

BluOrchid2 said:
And BEWARE, if you order the filet mignon, it comes with BBQ SAUCE poured all over it. My MIL was hugely disappointed in it. When you're in the mood for a good filet, the last thing you want is BBQ taste.

That's odd. This is the second time I've seen a comment like this. And the menu clearly stated it comes with sauce. :confused: Too bad it was so dissappointing, we've always enjoyed LeCellier. Then again, our worst dining expierence last week was at O'hana, which was one of our favorites as well. So you never know which restaurant will let you down I guess. :guilty:

I think part of the problem with Le Cellier is that it is so popular especially with the DDP that they have to focus on cranking out the food instead of the presentation.

Anothe problem I'm seeing is that the portions are getting smaller and smaller due to rising costs and DDP.

Case in point:

1. The shrimp cocktail. Everyone knows it's a great deal if you're on DDP so a lot of people are ordering it. Creating the old style presentation would've cost them a whole lot of chinese take out containers just for decoration. Putting it in a bowl saves them money and putting in a bowl makes it easier and faster to arrange. The portions got smaller too.

2. Beef kebab tenderloin appetizer. At first for lunch you got 2 cubes about 2inch by 2 inch per skewer and 1 skewer, while dinner got you 3 cubes per skewer and 2 skewers. Then it became 1 skewer for dinner, but still 3 cubes. This last trip, only 1 skewer with 2 cubes on it and each cube (if you can call it a cube) is about 1 inch thick (so more like a thin steak). Again, the side that came with the tenderloin also became cheaper items. First it was navy bean relish, then it was caramelized onions, then it became polenta.

3. The prime rib sandwich (lunch menu) - it used to be foot long with tons of prime rib in it. Now it's about 6" with little meat on it. Certainly very different than before.

Now, while I still enjoy Le Cellier, we too were somewhat disappointed in the meal. I definitely contribute it to the popularity of DDP and Le Cellier itself. I personally would like to see Le Cellier back to a 2 credit restaurant.

Yes, after looking at the menu again, we saw that it did say it comes with sauce. But I doubt that many people would expect to have to read a description of filet mignon to know what it is, or how it's prepared. :::shrug:::

Sorry you had a bad experience at LC. We too did not have a good one either, very similar to your experience. That sauce ruined the steak, it might have been ok on the side but my DS-11 does not like anything on his meat and the menue should indicate there is a 'glaze' on it. We would have ordered it plain.
LC used to be one of our fav/must do resturants- we had 2 ADR's booked and cancelled the second one after the first lousy experience- we switched to Coral Reef and had a awesome meal, service and really the best steak of our trip.
Hope the rest of your meals were better.

Bev

I'm sorry you had a bad exp =(

LeCellier was the worst restaurant we've been to at WDW ever - and we've eaten at a lot of places. Never have we had that bad of an exp. We won't be back for a very long time. (we dined there last month for the first time).

We were underwhelmed as well. It was our first visit and we were excited because we read so many good things about the restaurant. Although I enjoyed the meal, it in no way stood out as anything special. Plus, we had to wait over 40 minutes past our seat-time to actually get a table. I already posted in another thread about my son dropping one of his pins and reaching under the table to pick it up. I could see what caught his eye was not the pin, but a piece of broken glass. Luckily I was able to put my foot over it before he accidentally grabbed it. The waitstaff was moving so quickly trying to serve everybody that dishes were dropped/broken three times during the time we were there. Unfortunately the only thing to blame it on is the sheer popularity of the place...they have more patrons than they can handle.

Going the other way here!
My DM has been in the restaurant biz forever so I was worried LeCellier wouldnt be up to snuff for her but....
we only waited 5 mins past ADR (7:20) We had Patrick as our server and he was very attentive, gave him extra tip .

Our food was wonderful- at first I thought the entree looked a bit smallish but after the app and bread it turned out to be perfect. We had the one with the fried parsnips on it - delish.

The chocolate cake was perfect - super chocolatey and not sugary.

But I agree that the creme brulee was a wee bit small but I thought it was awesome especially the maple side. I did very thorough creme brulee research this week and thought theirs was the best.

Just MHO. Sorry you guys didnt have good experiences.

LeCellier is off our list, too. I don't understand what's happened to this place? It used to be our favorite.

We had almost the same problem as you, waiting an awful long time after our ADR time to be seated, and they just couldn't cook my steak right! I ordered medium-well on the NY Strip, DH ordered medium. Mine was soooo rare, bloodier than his. I'd send it back. It came back the same way. Send it back. Came back maybe medium rare this time. Send it back. By now, DH is finished with his meal. Finally, they brought out this burned thing, slightly resembling steak, but really looking like the sole of my shoe. I figured I might as well take the burned, tough steak, but I'd need more demi-glace to sauce it up with. They charged me extra for the sauce!

I've had similar (albeit rare ... no pun intented!) experiences at non-WDW restaurants at home where either mine or DH's meal didn't end up panning out right, and the other was finished with their meal before the other. Someone in a management position had always come out, apologized and not charged the person with the "bad" meal since we weren't able to eat together. I'd certainly never been charged extra!

Oh, well. All things happen for a reason. If we hadn't had this experience at LeCellier, we probably never would have discovered Jiko :)

i must say if your ever at lc tell barb the hot waitress i want her lol
and jill the girl who told me if i win the castle stay to get in touch with her i said hi too ok now i ate there twice and the first waitress was bad did 3 tables at once and service suffered but when i had barb the 2nd time food was awesome she is a teacher who every other year comes back to lc

I have yet to experience LC, but I am muchly looking forward to it next spring. I havent been to WDW since '99, and this trip is highly anticipated by my entire fam (exc. the 2 y old. She has no idea what she's in for) :lmao:
As far as the bbq goes, I think I saw on the LC menu online that the filet is bbq or maple. That being clearly stated, no one should be surprised to find the sauce or glaze in their plate. You *can* order it plain (Ive seen evidence of that in reviews).
Also, am I the only one who found it funny (yes I mean :rotfl2: funny) That in a dark restaurant, the OP determined the size of her portions? Maybe I just have an odd sense of humor myself :confused3

Either way, with the smaller portions, I still doubt Id leave hungry after ordering my own entree/ drink, and sharing aps, bread, and dessert with my DD and DH
:thumbsup2

I am disappointed to read these poor reviews. I've been wanting to try LeCellier for several years because of the previously consistently rave reviews on this board. Now, on our upcoming 5th trip to WDW this December, I finally managed to fit in a reservation into our schedule, and I find that this restaurant is no longer getting raves from most folks, even those who were former fans. I need to figure out whether to change our reservation or not.

We ate there a week ago today (10/6) and had a superb meal. Three out of the four of us had the petit filet, and agreed that it was one of the best steaks we had ever had. Tender, flavorful, and perfectly cooked.

The rest of our meal - shrimp cocktail, bread assortment, and creme brulee duo - were wonderful as well.

We had made an early lunch reservation, 11:40, and did notice that they were quite backed up by the time we left around 1:10 or so.

I just thought I'd throw in a positive review in there for people who are nervous about going. I know restaurants have good days and bad days - sometimes it comes down to what particular server and entree you end up with - but we thought Le Cellier was one of our best meals this past trip.

HTH,

Disneyfriend

Disneyfriend and others who have had recent positive experiences.....I'd be interested to know if you have eaten at LC last year, or in other recent years. I feel that a lot of my "disappointment" was due to the fact that we had had SUCH a GREAT dining experience there last year, and this year's just did not compare to it. Perhaps if I had never eaten there before, I would have been more impressed, but the subtle (and not-s0-subtle) changes in both service and portion sizes between last year and this was a very UNDERwhelming negative.

We ate there last year during free dining and LOVED it. It was the first ADR I made for our trip a few weeks ago. But this time it was just ok. It wasn't bad, it was just blah.

The chocolate cake was still delicious :love: , the appetizers were all ok. Dh's streak was alright, but I had the pasta dish and it was not good. It was actually pretty awful.

I don't know if it is the popularity of this restaurant that has caused it to suffer, or if it's just a hit or miss place. Maybe we just built up our expectations too high from last year. :confused3 Anyway, it is off our list for next year.

BluOrchid2 said:
Disneyfriend and others who have had recent positive experiences.....I'd be interested to know if you have eaten at LC last year, or in other recent years. I feel that a lot of my "disappointment" was due to the fact that we had had SUCH a GREAT dining experience there last year, and this year's just did not compare to it. Perhaps if I had never eaten there before, I would have been more impressed, but the subtle (and not-s0-subtle) changes in both service and portion sizes between last year and this was a very UNDERwhelming negative.

Hi Lora,

We had eaten at Le Cellier on our previous trip in 2001, and had a great meal then as well. (I know because I just reviewed my trip notes. ;) )

The one thing that I, personally, was disappointed in with Le Cellier this visit was what seemed to be a pretty skimpy dessert selection. In general, I am really sad that many WDW restaurants have ended up trimming their menus, presumably because of the dining plan. We especially perceived this as a problem at Chefs de France, which replaced its tenderloin with a hamburger and (tough) flank steak.

I think so many of our restaurant experiences really do come down to an individual server and what we choose to order on a given day. I'm not trying to argue with your experience; I'm just stating for the record that we had an excellent lunch meal there recently. Oh, and the service was fantastic as well. To be honest, though, I wouldn't have been happy if I were one of the people in the lobby who were obviously waiting to get seated for their ADRs.

Just my two cents. :)

Disneyfriend

The sauce on the filet is the same sauce that was on it last year. I know because I had it this year and last year.

I must agree that the portion sizes are getting somewhat smaller. One of the waitressess at 50's PT told us that there were menu changes at all restaurants right before the free DDP program this year and it included decreasing the size of some of the portions. It appears they are trying to save money. I still think you get a ton of food on the DDP, and we couldn't finish it all.

BluOrchid2 said:
DiszyDeanette said:
That's odd. This is the second time I've seen a comment like this. And the menu clearly stated it comes with sauce.
BluOrchid2 said:
Yes, after looking at the menu again, we saw that it did say it comes with sauce. But I doubt that many people would expect to have to read a description of filet mignon to know what it is, or how it's prepared. :::shrug::: .
BevJ said:
That sauce ruined the steak, it might have been ok on the side but my DS-11 does not like anything on his meat and the menue should indicate there is a 'glaze' on it. We would have ordered it plain.
I'm not quite sure why somebody would order anything WITHOUT reading the description on the menu. Le Cellier has, on its dinner menu, TWO filets:
Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - Wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb beurre blanc, topped with fried parsnips. - $27.99
and
7 oz Filet Mignon - Glazed with maple BBQ sauce and accompanied by cream cheese mashed potatoes. - $26.99
I know the Mushroom Filet is highlighted at the top of the menu as their signature dish while I think the other Filet is near the bottom; it's really a matter of, yeah, reading the menu and knowing what you're ordering.

As for the dessert portion issue - just my opinion, but does everybody really finish the entire appetizer and entree and dessert? I know I never did. WAY too much food.

Thank you for posting this thread. I think that we are going to take LeCellier off our ADR's for our upcoming trip. There are just too many so-so or bad reviews for this restaurant lately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter