• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Kingdom After Hours coming back (DAH); Reviews: Page 18 >>

I'm going in a couple of weeks as well, also staying at Poly. Note that it sounds like it's the monorails and resort boat launches that aren't running. The ferries to the TTC (the larger boats that go back/forth all day) would pretty much have to keep running, otherwise people can't get back to the TTC/parking lot. Or for those that have gone, are they only bussing to the TTC too?

My plan is to see what's going on with the busses to Poly first, but use the Ferry to TTC as plan B. It's an easy walk from TTC to Poly. That is if the ferry is running!

If I have to bus, I'm going to assume it's more of a MK resort loop so hopefully not 'too' bad. Maybe????
Will be there next Thursday and staying at the Poly will definitely report back with all options :) hoping enough feedback gets back to Disney this week about this ...

Looks like everyone had a great time, except for the transportation issues... we are going 3/2. The ferry is running, right?? We are offsite and will be driving in. Most likely we will go to Epcot earlier in the day, then we have a 4pm dinner at 1900 Park Fare, then heading to After Hours. My husband thinks we should just park at TTC, then head over to Epcot, so that our car will be easily accessed from MK at the end of the night.

I believe I heard them yelling that the monorail was finished for the evening but the ferry was still running. But, I didn't ride it, so I can't swear to it!

Coasternerd - I think it was the ECVs that put our bus over the edge.

I don't think the bus thing would have been so crazy if there hadn't been about a dozen empties sitting there! Wait a few extra minutes to pick up more passengers and run one for AoA & Pop (or even AoA/Pop/CBR.)

Just got back as well. It's almost 1:00. (My bus was Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, and maybe more after that. Quite a few still on when I exited at OKW. Standing room only was quite a jolt to the system after an empty park. Especially since I was one of the standers)

I think they had a bigger crowd tonight, as the park was not as empty as some of last week's reports sounded. There were always at least a few people around within my field of view, though at one point I think I was the only guest inside Splash Mountain.

I was about to board the Mine Train when it went down. Oh well.

One thing I liked was how in a quiet park, you can hear all the background music and sound effects so clearly. It made walking up to Haunted Mansion in particular more creepy.

I entered the park just after the fireworks had ended. I don't recommend trying that. But once I got inside, most of the lines were quite short for that last hour of regular operation.

So I did:
People Mover
Astro Orbiter
(those two pre-9:00)
Philharmagic
Small World
Peter Pan (**main queue in use!! Excellent**)
Big Thunder
Splash
Pirates
Space Mt (Cameras in the walkway exit ramp not in operation - is that a regular thing now?)
Speedway
Buzz x 2 (stayed on, shot poorly both times)
Mine Train - almost
Magic Carpets (first time in years)
Partner's Statue photo
Haunted Mansion

I had fun. Since I was solo, only had to shell out for one person, so not too expensive. Agree that the transportation at the end needs improvement.

I was surprised that the "ice cream" they offered weren't just cheap little cups or bars, they were the pricey treats they sell regularly.

Saw a few pre-tweens that seemed to make it all the way to the end. Troupers. I would never have lasted at their age. Not sure how I make it at my age either.
Same bus we were on. And same way our bus was in May so it was no different. They always group them different than regular day buses. Still thought it was very quick and efficient. Granted, we walked up, bus pulled up that second, we were first in line and got on and were on the way in less than 15 min. Better than most any day time bus trip. We did have seats

We saw littles, pre schoolers, still going strong. Some kids are night owls. DGD would make it no problem

Still thought it was very quick and efficient.
Calling it "quick" seems generous. With all the stops, I think I got off after 45 minutes at OKW, and probably half the riders were still on the bus. Some had to be on for more than an hour by the time they reached their last stop.
Granted, we walked up, bus pulled up that second, we were first in line and got on and were on the way in less than 15 min. Better than most any day time bus trip. We did have seats
So I probably walked right past you without realizing it. You know that really good looking older gentleman who got on toward the end? It was probably me.

Reading about bus transportation after the event has us worried about getting back to Coronado springs within a reasonable time. Our event is Thursday February 2nd and with a 8-11 event time would our buses be better or the same as others experienced? Just wondering.

We were at the event on Friday, the 27th. We went nonstop from 9 to 12, hoping to ride everything that was open... sadly, it didn't happen. We just ran out of time! The only ride we waited in even a bit of a line for was Space Mountain and we were maybe 10 people back. We started in Adventureland worked our way around. By the time we got to the Fantasyland, we knew we weren't going to get through everything and had to start cutting stuff. We got everything in we wanted to do though -- all the "big" rides plus the "small" rides (I'm looking at you, Peter Pan) that we don't usually do because our interest level isn't comparable to the wait times. We got some photos of deserted park areas. I got one of son in the walkway in front of POTC and you can't see another soul. (Well, maybe souls? Dead men tell no tales...) We rode POTC completely alone and Jungle Cruise with one other family - thankfully, they were laughers or it would have just been awkward. ;) I'm usually a leave before the rush person, so this was the first time I've ever actually been in a park at the point where they are actually telling you to get out - NOW, thank you. I was wondering how transportation was going to work since there were relatively so few people there, but I thought they did a great job. Reminded me of the when there are commuter train problems here and they do the "Load and Go" method. :teeth: They just told us to get on a bus and we did and it apparently got everyone home safe. Lots of knocked out kids on the bus!

Complaints:
  • Ice cream bars were weirdly melty at 2 of the stands.
  • Several stands ran out of bottled water and all we could get was soda.
  • The one food place that was advertised as open was out of everything except pretzels. We really needed some real food and there was no options and, of course, the resort food would be closed by the time we got back.
It really felt like it was the first time they were doing this (and, of course, it wasn't) and they'd completely underestimated food and drink demands.

I can't wait to hear the experiences from tonight's event!! In my email confirmation, the tickets are attached and it says this page is required to be printed and shown at the event. If it is linked to my Disney experience, wouldn't my magic band be enough to enter or do I need to print the actual ticket too?

I just added it to MDE and scanned in with my band. I didn't print anything.

Looks like everyone had a great time, except for the transportation issues... we are going 3/2. The ferry is running, right?? We are offsite and will be driving in. Most likely we will go to Epcot earlier in the day, then we have a 4pm dinner at 1900 Park Fare, then heading to After Hours. My husband thinks we should just park at TTC, then head over to Epcot, so that our car will be easily accessed from MK at the end of the night.
I will be there on 3/2 as well! With all the reports of transportation issues - I wonder if it might be more efficient to just walk the Contempo and call an uber. I have used Uber MANY times on property, but never that late at night. Does anyone have thoughts/experiences on that to know if it would take a while at that time of night for an Uber to arrive?

Really glad to hear all the positive experiences with the event itself though. Can't WAIT! :)

We were at the event on Friday, the 27th. We went nonstop from 9 to 12, hoping to ride everything that was open... sadly, it didn't happen. We just ran out of time!

It's actually impossible to ride everything in 3 hours, the durations of the rides without getting between them is more than 3 hours. You can pull it off starting at 7 depending on what pre-event lines look like but if you start double or triple riding things you need to get in at 4 to try to accomplish it.

I will be there on 3/2 as well! With all the reports of transportation issues - I wonder if it might be more efficient to just walk the Contempo and call an uber. I have used Uber MANY times on property, but never that late at night. Does anyone have thoughts/experiences on that to know if it would take a while at that time of night for an Uber to arrive?

Really glad to hear all the positive experiences with the event itself though. Can't WAIT! :)

This will probably be longer. the park is advertised closed, it's after everything else has closed.. you could wait a good 15-20 minutes to get picked up with surge pricing (I take lyft/uber late at night to get home as well so first hand experience on what its like to take them late at night). It wasn't really issues, just buses going to many resorts and very full buses. sounds like values (which are furthest from MK) had the longer ride.

So, we would fur sure have transportation to the TTC if we were to drive in for this correct? We are staying at the POP and are thinking this might be preferable to standing on a full bus for an hour.

We went on 1/27 and had a great time.

Similar to Manda above, the only time we had to wait to get on a ride was Space Mountain and that was only a few people.

The only nit I can come up with for the night is the crane awoke from its slumber at 11:40p .... just as we started working our way down all the PhotoPass stations from the hub to Town Square. Seriously guys... you couldn't wait 20 more minutes? Nothing that a minor touch of Photoshop can't fix, though.

We left right at the stroke of midnight.

Our bus went to Swan, YC, and BW (where we got off). It was still pretty full and sounded like a lot of people were heading to Pop. I knew what to expect so hitting the other resorts first wasn't a surprise to me. Many others were concerned that they were not on the right bus. Some additional communication to guests probably wouldn't hurt here.

This will probably be longer. the park is advertised closed, it's after everything else has closed.. you could wait a good 15-20 minutes to get picked up with surge pricing (I take lyft/uber late at night to get home as well so first hand experience on what its like to take them late at night). It wasn't really issues, just buses going to many resorts and very full buses. sounds like values (which are furthest from MK) had the longer ride.
Thanks Bryan! I wondered if that might be the case. We're staying at the Boardwalk, so maybe we won't have too long of a ride with drop offs and certainly can opt to hop of at the Swalphin if it ends up stopping there first. Really looking forward to attending the event with my Dad. He is a first timer & that evening will be his first time in MK (we plan to enter before fireworks so he will see it in its usually crowded state). I've tried to explain to him how awesome this will be to have next to no wait on pretty much everything, but he really can't fully understand that the way we all do. ;)

We did January 27 too. We spent the morning at EPCOT, had lunch at Disney Springs, and rested/napped the rest of the afternoon/early evening. We left our room at POFQ for the bus stop around 8:00pm and arrived at the Magic Kingdom, just as the masses were leaving after Wishes. After getting our lanyard, we took a ride on the PeopleMover to pass the time until 9:00pm.

From 9:00 to 10:00pm we did the following:
Mad Tea Party
Winnie the Pooh
Ate a Mickey bar
Peter Pan (first time ever going through the standby queue, didn't realize how awesome it is)
Haunted Mansion
Ate a Mickey ice cream sandwich

From 10:00 to 11:00pm:
Big Thunder Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Ate popcorn
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Ate a Mickey ice cream sandwich
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

11:00 to 11:50pm:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Ate a fruit bar (was feeling a little ill from the rich ice cream)
Took pictures of a deserted Fantasyland
Peter Pan
Peter Pan (stayed on after the first ride)
Took pictures of the Fantasyland side of the castle until we heard them fire up the vacation ruining crane.
Lingered too long taking pictures from the side of the castle; by the time we reached the front of the castle, the crane was fully extended. Agree with the PP that they could have waited the few extra minutes until midnight.

At 11:50pm we started heading to the front of the park, a little concerned about what the bus transportation situation would be. When we reached the bus stops, we were asked which resort and directed to a waiting bus at stop #1. We were among the first on the bus. The driver waited a few minutes for others to board before taking off. The bus was almost full, there were a few empty seats left. The drivers said he was stopping at POFQ, Riverside and then Saratoga Springs (I think).

Overall, we had a great time and felt it was well worth the money to be able to ride whatever we wanted with no waits, and to be able to walk around an almost empty park.

Thanks Bryan! I wondered if that might be the case. We're staying at the Boardwalk, so maybe we won't have too long of a ride with drop offs and certainly can opt to hop of at the Swalphin if it ends up stopping there first. Really looking forward to attending the event with my Dad. He is a first timer & that evening will be his first time in MK (we plan to enter before fireworks so he will see it in its usually crowded state). I've tried to explain to him how awesome this will be to have next to no wait on pretty much everything, but he really can't fully understand that the way we all do. ;)

yeah, even if you know it's no waits then you really don't get how it changes the place as well. you just have to do it and see how MK changes when nothing is in your way.. just a great all around time

We're staying at the Boardwalk, so maybe we won't have too long of a ride with drop offs and certainly can opt to hop of at the Swalphin if it ends up stopping there first.

We walked out of MK at midnight and got back to BW right around 12:30a. The bus hung out a few minutes after we got on and we were the third stop (Swan, YC, BW). I'd assume that if there were any BC people on the bus they would have been dropped off between YC and BW. Even if there were BC people I do not think we would have beat the bus by getting off at Swan.

Our bus went to Swan, YC, and BW (where we got off). It was still pretty full and sounded like a lot of people were heading to Pop. I knew what to expect so hitting the other resorts first wasn't a surprise to me. Many others were concerned that they were not on the right bus. Some additional communication to guests probably wouldn't hurt here.
When we walked up the staff asked us what Resort and directed us to a specific bus stop, so it was clear we went to the correct bus. Did they not do that for your bus? Should avoid the confusion to guests on if they got on the right bus or not

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter