Marathon Weekend 2018

Lurking back in to let y'all know the 5k course for W&D weekend was found and we are running through Pandora and around the floating mountains. I don't know if that will occur for the marathon, but at least we know its an option.

I will now lurk back away :)
Really? I thought that the W&D course was an Epcot course.

Lurking back in to let y'all know the 5k course for W&D weekend was found and we are running through Pandora and around the floating mountains. I don't know if that will occur for the marathon, but at least we know its an option.

I will now lurk back away :)
Ditto for the W&D half - it includes Pandora, too! I suspect they'll see how it goes and then decide whether or not to include it in the marathon. I also suspect it'll be an epic bottleneck, but I hope to be proven wrong...

ETA: here's the W&D half course: https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17050TY&avad=55963_ffa0d41d

Ditto for the W&D half - it includes Pandora, too! I suspect they'll see how it goes and then decide whether or not to include it in the marathon. I also suspect it'll be an epic bottleneck, but I hope to be proven wrong...

Yeah, I'm planning on running swiftly through the AK parking lot if I'm in a front corral and then taking my sweet time soaking in the Pandora-ness. So I'll report back on congestion. Have a feeling it'll be more crowded for the 5k than the half, because the herd will be a bit more thinned by the time half peeps get there (maybe?)

The 5k traditionally takes place in Animal Kingdom. It used to be the Jingle Jungle 5k. Last year I think it became the Holiday 5k.

I will admit to being surprised they're doing it for the half but I'm not as familiar with that course.
Thanks - have not participated in the W&D yet and this is a surprise to me.

Have a feeling it'll be more crowded for the 5k than the half, because the herd will be a bit more thinned by the time half peeps get there (maybe?)
IDK - I'm afraid it may be like the crazy castle bottlenecks for later corrals at MK! No doubt a ton of runners will want pics at the floating mountains - I really hope they're planning for that and have it set up to easily separate the pic-takers from the run-though-ers.

Yeah with seeing Pandora on the wine & dine half & 5k course it will be interesting to see if it's added to the marathon. Although for the marathon there will be regular guests too to deal with, the Fall Feast 5k won't have guests and I think all runners should be out as well in the half by park opening.

Yeah with seeing Pandora on the wine & dine half & 5k course it will be interesting to see if it's added to the marathon. Although for the marathon there will be regular guests too to deal with, the Fall Feast 5k won't have guests and I think all runners should be out as well in the half by park opening.
Yep, the park being open during the marathon makes me believe we won’t see it on the marathon course.

I so WISH, WISH, WISH that the 5K for Marathon weekend was an Animal Kingdom 5K too. It's so boring that it's another loop around Epcot, when we will do it in ALL the other races that weekend too! PLUS AK is so beautiful in the dark...I mean so is World Showcase but AK just feels that much more "foreign'!

I so WISH, WISH, WISH that the 5K for Marathon weekend was an Animal Kingdom 5K too. It's so boring that it's another loop around Epcot, when we will do it in ALL the other races that weekend too! PLUS AK is so beautiful in the dark...I mean so is World Showcase but AK just feels that much more "foreign'!
I agree - I may never run another 5k or 10k during that weekend because of the routes.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I love the 5K and 10K route for Marathon Weekend. I wouldn't be against them mixing it up, but I don't think they are bad courses by any stretch and you don't get to run in the dark with the torches lit in the later races (at least I don't, maybe the Elite runners do). It certainly feels like a much different experience than Epcot during the Half (I barely consider what the Half does as running in Epcot) or the full (later in the day, while the park is open, in most cases). I understand how it could become a little boring for return runners, but for first-timers they are both amazing courses IMO. When I talk to people who aren't looking to run a Full Marathon I lean heavily toward recommending the 5K and 10K over the Half because the courses are so much nicer. I mean MK is cool and all, but 13.1 is a long distance to cover where that is the only highlight.

ETA: I can definitely see how running both the 5K and 10K in one weekend can feel redundant since they are so similar. It doesn't bother me because I love Epcot, but if they were to move one of the two races to focus on another park (preferably the 5K) I wouldn't complain.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been talked about already but does anyone know if the Magic Kingdom parking lot start will in play for Marathon Weekend? Guessing no since the marathon course would have to make major changes but it seems like an easier start situation at Magic Kingdom.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I love the 5K and 10K route for Marathon Weekend. I wouldn't be against them mixing it up, but I don't think they are bad courses by any stretch and you don't get to run in the dark with the torches lit in the later races (at least I don't, maybe the Elite runners do). It certainly feels like a much different experience than Epcot during the Half (I barely consider what the Half does as running in Epcot) or the full (later in the day, while the park is open, in most cases). I understand how it could become a little boring for return runners, but for first-timers they are both amazing courses IMO. When I talk to people who aren't looking to run a Full Marathon I lean heavily toward recommending the 5K and 10K over the Half because the courses are so much nicer. I mean MK is cool and all, but 13.1 is a long distance to cover where that is the only highlight.

ETA: I can definitely see how running both the 5K and 10K in one weekend can feel redundant since they are so similar. It doesn't bother me because I love Epcot, but if they were to move one of the two races to focus on another park (preferably the 5K) I wouldn't complain.
The thing for me - 5k and 10k are warm-up distances for me. For me to pay that much $$ to run that distance, the course has to be worth it. Running the same basic course 4 times in 4 days = boring.

I don't know if this has been talked about already but does anyone know if the Magic Kingdom parking lot start will in play for Marathon Weekend? Guessing no since the marathon course would have to make major changes but it seems like an easier start situation at Magic Kingdom.

I suppose this is possible, but I see it as extremely unlikely. Designing a new marathon course which takes runners through all four parks, avoids major course congestion (going right from the parking lot to MK and the castle would be a disaster), supports accessible water stops, and allows open roads for volunteers, emergency vehicles, and guests would be a significant challenge.

Yeah
I suppose this is possible, but I see it as extremely unlikely. Designing a new marathon course which takes runners through all four parks, avoids major course congestion (going right from the parking lot to MK and the castle would be a disaster), supports accessible water stops, and allows open roads for volunteers, emergency vehicles, and guests would be a significant challenge.

Yeah I agree. Guess they could run people out towards Epcot like they do for the 10k now and them bring them back to Magic Kingdom but just seems like a lot of work. Oh well, we'd all miss the long, dark to the corrals at Epcot. :)

@Barca33Runner I totally agree with your thoughts on the Marathon weekend set up. I love running through WS in the dark with the torches too, and you're right, come the end of the 1/2 and the Full you're really not consciously taking in EPcot anymore.

However, the last lines of your post are my origianl point. In back to back runs of the 5K and 10K a little more variety would be appreciated, and honestly since the 10K hits WS beautifully, using the W&D weekend 5K route makes sense...and if I didn't say it enough before, AK is soooo pretty, I just need more AK in my life. Of course then all the people who just ran that route would be bored :confused3 There's just no pleasing everybody.

There are plusses to starting the race at the TTC - it would get people out of the MK quicker. But setting up corrals in the parking lot two days in a row may be more of a $$ hassle than our favorite cheapskate running organization is willing to spend.

Putting all the runners on World Drive for the half and full requires less barricades, etc., and a simpler take down and set-up because the highway lanes basically serve as your defacto corrals - RD just has to set up the mesh barricades in advance (this is usually done before Christmas the past three years I've been at Disney), and then morning of, just have volunteers working corrals move in the gates for each corral and AV/lighting company launches the balloons.

For starting in the TTC, they require more barricades for corrals (in addition to the starting line), and it would keep that parking lot out of commission for a much longer time. Start/Finish set-up for Marathon Weekend (including all the charity tents, race retreat, etc.) starts in the Epcot Parking lot before Christmas - with the major setup starting on New Year's Day. Plus, with a start-finish in two different spots, that means twice the tents for those entities (pre-race and post-race Race Retreat, Charity Tents, Cigna tent, etc.).

So, anyway, while possible and has a major plus in emptying MK earlier, I just don't think we'll see it unfortunately.

Yeah I agree. Guess they could run people out towards Epcot like they do for the 10k now and them bring them back to Magic Kingdom but just seems like a lot of work. Oh well, we'd all miss the long, dark to the corrals at Epcot. :)
I love the long walk to the half/full corrals at EPCOT, I may be the only one...it just helps build the excitement I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter