Marathon Weekend 2018

Thanks for your inputs - I really appreciate it. I'm just worried because of how painful it has been to even take a step and then reading of people having to deal with this injury for months or more!! The thought of not being able to run or even walk comfortably just because of one stupid run was just overwhelming. In my case this injury was not a result of multi-day/week/month of overuse it was following just one particular run on a hilly course. And mostly because the darn roads were sloped to the sides. 3 miles into that run I was getting severe tightness on my other foot (left foot) - like in the ankle because of how it was turned slighlty while my right foot (the injured one) was flat. After the run it was the left foot that hurt while the "injured" right foot was fine - but then came Monday morning and it was bad.

Coupled with that injury I also pinched a damn nerve in my shoulder so have to deal with that pain for the past 4 days. My aunt from Poland once told me she had this one disease called SKS or "Starosc Kurwa Starosc", which roughly translated into English is "Aging Fracking Aging".

All I want out of this running is to run at least one marathon where I am not hurt - I want to be able to give it my all and see if I can actually perform as I've been able to in training. Hopefully that will happen one day. Thanks again.

sorry for another question about the Plantar Fasciitis ... for those that had it, was it hard to walk when it first happened? I have to walk with one foot on my toes and it still hurts then. I don't understand how people have "run through it" because walking is painful and I can't imagine even trying to run or jog - I'm so depressed. I was just getting to 8 min/miles for 8 miles again and was getting faster and returning to form and now I screw things up even worse. I wish I was good at something.

Dealt with PF last spring and it was rough. I was in a walking boot for four weeks but the doctor basically cleared me to run once I was pain free. I would say pain free for me was maybe 3 weeks? I'm on my feet/walking constantly at work though so 'resting' was difficult and probably would have sped things up. Don't get too down on yourself! With a little rest/recovery you'll be good to go again!

Thanks for your inputs - I really appreciate it. I'm just worried because of how painful it has been to even take a step and then reading of people having to deal with this injury for months or more!! The thought of not being able to run or even walk comfortably just because of one stupid run was just overwhelming. In my case this injury was not a result of multi-day/week/month of overuse it was following just one particular run on a hilly course. And mostly because the darn roads were sloped to the sides. 3 miles into that run I was getting severe tightness on my other foot (left foot) - like in the ankle because of how it was turned slighlty while my right foot (the injured one) was flat. After the run it was the left foot that hurt while the "injured" right foot was fine - but then came Monday morning and it was bad.

My local spring marathon spends 16 miles on a road where the camber changes constantly, and I've dealt with this kind of pain afterward. The keys for me, which others have mentioned are 1) A night (torture) sock 2) a golf ball under my desk that I continually massage into the painful area 4x per day (and it hurts) 3) ice after the golf ball for 15 minutes 4) 1 footed calf raises on a stair once the pain is manageable (make sure to get good extension below the level of the stair on the lowering part of the exercise 5) 2 weeks off of running (yes, this sucks, but trying to run through PF was a REALLY bad idea the one time I tried it)

General character question for you veterans - after seeing @Ariel484 and her detailed race reports, I am dressing as vacation Genie for either the marathon or half and hope to get a pic side-by-side with the big guy... It seems like he's out more during the marathon... What are the odds he's out this year? And is he usually out for the half as well?

My sister and I got this picture with him during the 2016 Half (the last one since 2017 was cancelled):
873D829C-1694-4C3A-971F-127465ED9BC2.jpeg
He was just in front of the entrance to world Showcase at the turnaround after you enter Epcot at the tail end of the race. Obviously, no guarantees he’ll be there again. But there were 3 or 4 characters in that area as I remember it, so there were some good photo ops. Another in that same area just for fun:
242FACBE-4FCA-4D63-980E-40944A3505B7.jpeg

Thanks for the Vacation Genie replies everyone - good to know he'll be out... Now I just need to figure out when I'm going to take my shot, half or full?! (Although I fully expect Murphy's Law to come into play... Or maybe I should factor that in... A little game theory perhaps...)

Thanks for the Vacation Genie replies everyone - good to know he'll be out... Now I just need to figure out when I'm going to take my shot, half or full?! (Although I fully expect Murphy's Law to come into play... Or maybe I should factor that in... A little game theory perhaps...)
I would get him at the the half if he is out in case he isn't at the full, would suck to skip him at the half only to have him not out at the full.

Happy Sunday!

Today’s Sundays are for Disney question:

What character would you most like to see at a runDisney race?

My answer: I always love seeing the regular like fab 5 characters but in special outfits that they don’t normally wear in the parks. So any unique rare outfit would be cool to me.
Vote #500 for Figment. That could be the only character stop on the course and I'd be a happy camper.

We rescheduled our September Disney trip (thanks Irma!) for November. We land Saturday the 4th at 12:30pm. I was thinking of running the Wine & Dine half marathon the next day, since I'd be there. My question is, will I have time to get to the Expo by 3:30 to pick up my bib? We are staying off-site, so we will have a rental car.

We rescheduled our September Disney trip (thanks Irma!) for November. We land Saturday the 4th at 12:30pm. I was thinking of running the Wine & Dine half marathon the next day, since I'd be there. My question is, will I have time to get to the Expo by 3:30 to pick up my bib? We are staying off-site, so we will have a rental car.

All depends on the size of your travel party and how quickly y'all can gather up your stuff and leave MCO. I usually make it from the rental car deck at MCO to WWoS in about an hour. I know it would be hard for me to say no.

Okay then. Newer question then, sort of. The wording says 'if you select 2 hours and 45 minutes or less, you must enter proof of time'. So I took that to mean that 2:50 is the first one that doesn't require it. Does that seem correct?

It does, but the drop down option for 2:45 does not say that the selection would not be valid until a proof of time is submitted. The one above that is the last that says this. Not sure which to believe, so I selected 2:50 for the group.

It's confusing. The language is inconsistent.

On runDisney's website:
"If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 2:45 hours or the Marathon in less than 5:30 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement" -- they say "LESS THAN" 5:30. Which would exclude 5:30 from the proof of time requirement.​

But then on Active their wording is different - they say:
"If you selected an anticipated marathon finish time 5 hours and 30 minutes or less, you must enter your proof of time information below." Which would include 5:30 in the proof of time requirement.
BUT THEN! The Active "corral placement not guaranteed until proof of time is verified" disclaimer on their drop-down ONLY appears for 5:20 and faster. No disclaimer for 5:30. Which again seems to exclude 5:30 from the proof of time requirement.

I am totally belaboring this minor difference because it drives me nuts that they are not consistent, since people do tend to care about getting this right. They have made it confusing.

Anyway - thank you all for the info on this! :sunny:

I would imagine that there's a few people who have double or triple booked, waiting for the discounts. Historically, room discounts for early January come up late September or early October, so if there pattern holds, that should be in the next week or two.

At that point, the double bookers should dump the resorts they no longer want, which may open a little availability.

Geez, I hope you're right! I'm just trying to get a room because my DD's DCP ends on January 4 and I'm going down to assist her. There isn't a single Studio or 1 BR DVC available. I have a ton of points and I'm having to book offsite for cash :guilty:

Geez, I hope you're right! I'm just trying to get a room because my DD's DCP ends on January 4 and I'm going down to assist her. There isn't a single Studio or 1 BR DVC available. I have a ton of points and I'm having to book offsite for cash :guilty:

I’m betting on rooms opening up.

Rationale - W&D weekend is the same issue .... rooms are slowly popping up for the weekend.

Brian

On runDisney's website:
"If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 2:45 hours or the Marathon in less than 5:30 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement" -- they say "LESS THAN" 5:30. Which would exclude 5:30 from the proof of time requirement.​

But then on Active their wording is different - they say:
"If you selected an anticipated marathon finish time 5 hours and 30 minutes or less, you must enter your proof of time information below." Which would include 5:30 in the proof of time requirement.
BUT THEN! The Active "corral placement not guaranteed until proof of time is verified" disclaimer on their drop-down ONLY appears for 5:20 and faster. No disclaimer for 5:30. Which again seems to exclude 5:30 from the proof of time requirement.

I am totally belaboring this minor difference because it drives me nuts that they are not consistent, since people do tend to care about getting this right. They have made it confusing.

Anyway - thank you all for the info on this! :sunny:

Yes, yes, YES!!! I re-read that at least 100 times and I still don't know with any certainty if I can enter 5:30 with no PoT! So I went with 5:40 to feel more safe. Honestly, I'm more likely to run a 5:40ish anyway, and it's really not been any big deal which corral I've started in over the years. But it still irks me that they didn't proof this all better, lol!

Pretty much sums up how I feel. I decided to go 5:30 with a PoT between 5:30 and 5:40 and figure the worst case scenario is I end up a corral or two behind where I would be if I didn't submit PoT. I still end up in the correct range and a few corrals above the final corral. The further up I am the less nervous I am so it should be good enough for me.

I’m betting on rooms opening up.

Rationale - W&D weekend is the same issue .... rooms are slowly popping up for the weekend.

Brian

I hope they do open up some discounts, and hopefully some rooms appear.

The one issue circling my brain, though, with Irma delaying a lot of people's plans, how many of them ended up booking right through Marathon weekend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter