Marathon Weekend 2018

View attachment 282525

POT of 4:45-5:00 would be around Corral G/H.

View attachment 282527

The 5k/10k start times are above (roughly). The Dopey Bib = 5k/10k bib is to the right. There is a big asterisk on this though because I made the Dopey = 5k/10k based on 2016 times, but from memory many people were further back in 5k/10k corrals than I had predicted. I think it depends significantly on the non-challenge 5k/10k participants as to where the Dopey bibs fall out. But based on this, I'd say maybe C/D for the 5k and 10k? Which would be roughly a 5:50-6:00am start time.

@Barca33Runner was in G last year for Dopey and @Chasing Dopey was in H last year for Dopey. So they would know where they ended up for the 5k/10k last year based on a G/H Dopey bib.

On this note, I have a friend doing her first half marathon, really just hoping not to get swept. That being said, she will start in one of the last corrals and take at least 3:20 to finish. Anyone know what time that equates to her finish? I couldn't get a fast pass for the new pandora ride, so I was hoping to get into the park right when it opens. But I see that won't work of I'm expecting her to finish first, but thinking maybe I can catch the ride, then meet her at the finish? Maybe not. I don't want to be a jerk, just want to scope out the possibility.

On this note, I have a friend doing her first half marathon, really just hoping not to get swept. That being said, she will start in one of the last corrals and take at least 3:20 to finish. Anyone know what time that equates to her finish? I couldn't get a fast pass for the new pandora ride, so I was hoping to get into the park right when it opens. But I see that won't work of I'm expecting her to finish first, but thinking maybe I can catch the ride, then meet her at the finish? Maybe not. I don't want to be a jerk, just want to scope out the possibility.

That would be a tight fit. Those that run between a 3:20/3:30 half starting in the later corrals will probably finish sometime between 9:20AM and 10:00AM. The "Balloon" Ladies typically finish around 9:50AM (I know as I've tracked them the last 3 half marathons)

You would need to factor in travel time around Disney World as well.

I'd love to see video of that. @DopeyBadger creating a spreadsheet while running would be pretty awesome.

You know he'd be able to do it.

Worst case: she starts at 630, runs 330, and finishes at 10. It'd be difficult but not impossible to get from AK back to Epcot in time.

Made my fastpasses, it's getting real guys!

I also ran my first actual marathon last weekend (Savannah Rock n' Roll - super hot, but nice course). Now I'm trying to do the Higdon plan for like 8 weeks between marathons (which is about right for Goofy I think) - but would you guys do anything different from a regular marathon plan to prep for the Goofy?

I feel pretty good, and even did a run yesterday and this morning, but somehow the half + full is freaking me out a little bit now.

Not sure which Higdon plan you are on, but I did Goofy twice where I ran a full marathon in late Oct then did a condensed Intermediate 1 afterward. The back to back Sat/Sun runs are more than enough to prep for Goofy once you are already in marathon shape. The first time I ran Goofy, I was on Novice 1. I just took the Wed runs that build up to 10 miles and put them on Saturdays, and moved the Saturday long runs to Sunday. Same total mileage per week, just ran Sat/Sun back to back peaking at 10mi/20mi. That also worked out well

I thought about this last weekend during Wine & Dine and we chatted about it a bit at the Hurricane Hannahs meet up, so I thought I would throw it out to see if anyone was interested. Would anyone want to have a text group(can't think of a better way) where we let each other know where the characters are during the races? I know some of you like to get some character pics and some of you like to hit only certain ones to conserve time. But we don't know ahead of time who's on the course and where they are. I'm typically going out of the A corral but I do they races for fun and wouldn't have no problem stopping after each character spot to let people know who's where(full disclosure- I'm stopping to get pics anyways :) ). It's something we could set up closer to the race but just thought I bring up now to gauge any interest. Maybe I'm just overthinking it? :listen: :bored:

I would definitely be interested! I am someone who will have to limit stops so I’d love to know who was out there so I wouldn’t “waste” my stopping time when there was another character I’d have rather stopped for!

This will be our first Dopey and first Marathon weekend. I have some questions on the characters. For the first segment of the Marathon (the part that mirrors the Half) will the character stops be the same? We're wondering if we just try to get through that segment without character stops (do those on the Half) to get in-front of those people on Marathon day and save us a few people in-front of us once we'd hit "new" characters.

What about the 5 and 10 characters? Do they take those characters and move to the full course? Are they they same "displays" or do they change them up?

I'm assuming there's a photo opp with Dopey on the Full? Is that near the end?

Thanks!!!

This will be our first Dopey and first Marathon weekend. I have some questions on the characters. For the first segment of the Marathon (the part that mirrors the Half) will the character stops be the same? We're wondering if we just try to get through that segment without character stops (do those on the Half) to get in-front of those people on Marathon day and save us a few people in-front of us once we'd hit "new" characters.

What about the 5 and 10 characters? Do they take those characters and move to the full course? Are they they same "displays" or do they change them up?

I'm assuming there's a photo opp with Dopey on the Full? Is that near the end?

Thanks!!!
Some will be the same for the first half of the full but some won’t. They do tend to change things up. Something like Oogie Boogie and Jack Skellington might meet on separate days but they could use the same display.

5K and 10K stops are usually completely different.

Dopey will meet before and after the races in the start and finish areas.

Sounds like you’re volunteering to be @DopeyBadger’s tech guy for this endeavor. ;)

I know for a fact that @DopeyBadger prefers to use a ground support team at home for his spreadsheets on race weekends. Here's actual photographic evidence of my desk while trying to figure out the prediction contest once the half was cancelled last year.
IMG_2808.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter