Marathon Weekend 2018

I hope everyone had a great week! As always Sundays are for Disney!

Today's Question:

Do you prefer the old days of no FP, legacy FP (paper), or FP+?

My answer: I never had experience with no FP so I can't comment there. I do think some attraction shouldn't have FP especially omnimover types like Haunted Mansion or Buzz. I will say though as an uber planner I do like FP+ I am not so much a go with the flow type.

I hope everyone had a great week! As always Sundays are for Disney!

Today's Question:

I do not miss no FP at all. I had that experience when I was young and I remember the lines for the mountains being so insane. I prefer the paper fp+ system as it allowed for a better go with the flow vacation and I didn’t have to pick the park 2 months in advance but have adapted just fine to fp +

Hows the training coming along? Hitting some peak mileage now and the most volume Ive had since I was Ironman training last September and October. So far so good on my end. IT band is always tight but Im stretching a bit more and feeling good for the home stretch.
Screen_Shot_2017_11_12_at_1_02_18_PM.jpg

ATTQOTD: Paper FP FTW. After going to Disneyland this summer (before Maxpass), I didn't realize how much I like that system better than FP+, and how many more rides we were able to do with FP. Just the fact I could not get FP+ for FOP just irks me.

When I was a commando tourer, legacy FP. There was a huge advantage if you got there early and hoarded FP. Now that I am a much more casual tourer who likes his pool time and late mornings at the resort, FP+ works better.

Today's Question:
I do prefer FP over no FP for sure, but hard to decide if I would want paper back or not. I liked out how there used to be no tiers, but don't mind not having to walk to the attraction to get them. It was fun using paper in Disneyland a few years ago and getting some Indy ones handed to us that someone else couldn't use, so miss the sharing aspect of it with strangers I suppse sort of. It is nice knowing I have hard to ride ones in advance though, so I guess it's a toss up on legacy FP or FP+.

Training is grand for the most part, hope everyone else's is going well too. I always feel like like this is the time things can start (as they have in the past) fall apart so being extra mindful of any off feelings.

I'm OK with FP+ I think it lends itself to a more relaxed touring approach. However I agree with @BuckeyeBama if you're feeling like going all in-crazy-commando touring style, nothing like the paper FPs.

Sundays are for Disney:

I have no experience with paper FP. When we went when I was little it was no FP and we only started attending again in 2012 and I don’t remember paper FP at the time so I figure it was already FP+ or we didn’t use it.

I’m a fan of the FP+ system. I think it allows everyone a chance to plan a day where they can knock out at least a couple prime attractions without waiting in obscene lines. I absolutely abhor the “pay to play” model being used by a bunch of other theme/amusement parks now. Paying extra to have shorter lines on every attraction just feels wrong and turns people who have paid only the base entrance fee (which is usually pretty exorbitant) into second-class parkgoers; I hope Disney sticks with their FP+ model over going to something like that.

ATQOTD: I'm with @cavepig . It's a toss up between paper and FP+. I like that I don't have to worry about getting a fastpass for a hard to get attraction (or getting one that actually fits my plan for the day), but I do miss being able to grab paper ones for whatever I wanted and the sharing aspect. As I have started to become a yearly visitor though, I think I'll lean in the direction of FP+ though. I no longer feel like I have to jam everything in because I know I'll be back soon enough.

Training is going well. Finally into the higher than a half marathon mileage part of training. Did 15 today and it was smooth like butter. Just one of "those" days where I probably did the run faster than I "should have" but the pace just came naturally today and it didn't feel hard so I just went with it. I got the job that I interviewed for last week so starting on the 20th, I'll be transitioning to a morning runner instead of a night one and I won't have to work Saturdays anymore so I'll be able to do long runs on Saturdays instead of Sundays! Looking forward to both of those things!:love:

ATQOTD: I prefer paper FP. It puts everyone on a more even playing field. I don't necessarily mind the FP+ though

In other news...my running has been off these last few weeks between an injury and sickness and wicked cold weather I've only been getting 2 runs per week (I'm not a marathoner though). Unfortunately I have to miss a planned run tomorrow as well (two wakes).

There was a horrific accident in our town on Tuesday where 3 students that my oldest 2 DDs went to school with died. My middle DD knew 2 of them fairly well one was in her grade and the other was in her French class. It was a very surreal week last week. This has been one of the most sad times of my life. So hard to watch your teen go through that and to be a parent through it. Our community is small and reeling. One of the students who died was a runner.

There was a horrific accident in our town on Tuesday where 3 students that my oldest 2 DDs went to school with died. My middle DD knew 2 of them fairly well one was in her grade and the other was in her French class. It was a very surreal week last week. This has been one of the most sad times of my life. So hard to watch your teen go through that and to be a parent through it. Our community is small and reeling. One of the students who died was a runner.

This is terrible, and I'm sorry to hear. :sad1:

I have no experience with paper FP. When we went when I was little it was no FP and we only started attending again in 2012 and I don’t remember paper FP at the time so I figure it was already FP+ or we didn’t use it.
2013 was the first year for FP+ I believe. 2012 still had paper.

Pay to play was actually something Disney started really. Disney used to have Ticket books where’d you had to pay to ride attractions. Certain ones were free and admission was much much much cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter