Marathon Weekend 2018

I’m curious how everyone manages the early wake up time for four days in a row. By morning 3 this weekend I wanted to not even do the half and I was thrilled this morning when I woke up and didn’t have to run a full.

You guys weren’t joking that the hardest part is the 4 early mornings. After 3 with two of those run at a speedy pace I was sooooo tired this morning.

I feel like I need to practice less running and more about power napping. ;)

I’m curious how everyone manages the early wake up time for four days in a row. By morning 3 this weekend I wanted to not even do the half and I was thrilled this morning when I woke up and didn’t have to run a full.

You guys weren’t joking that the hardest part is the 4 early mornings. After 3 with two of those run at a speedy pace I was sooooo tired this morning.

I’m probably an odd one out. I can function without a lot of sleep. I’ll probablt end up with 5 early mornings in a row since I have a 5:30AM flight to Orlando Wednesday morning and I can’t sleep on planes. Adrenaline kicks in for the nervousness and excitement for the races too. I was definitely tired after the full though.

I often wonder this and the major reason I don't think I could run Dopey! I can not function with little sleep and/or waking early. It's not unusual for me to go to bed at 1:30!!! Maybe I need sleep training too! Lol

I've never been very fond of going to bed early or getting up early,if you get the average hours I sleep before all the races I've ever run its probably somewhere around 2.75 hours,I've run some on no sleep at all and maybe only a handful I got over 5 hours,the majority were probably 3 hours or so,I'm still amazed at myself I keep signing up for these things to end up having to deal with the sleep thing,or lack of sleep thing!If it was up to me all these races would start at 10pm and why I seriously miss ToT and night W & D at Disney.I really wanted to do Dopey in January but for financial reasons I held myself back but honestly just knowing I only have to get up at 2am on Sunday instead of 4 days in a row is somewhat of a relief.

I’m curious how everyone manages the early wake up time for four days in a row.

I get up early anyway (5-5:30AM) so its not as much of a problem for me.

A nap is a must, and the time is important. Too early and you're still wound up from the race. Too late and it's harder to go to bed that night.

Go to bed near your normal bedtime, not some crazy-early time. I've read about people going to bed at 6 or 7PM. It may work for them, but I would just toss and turn.

The correct amount of beer and wine is crucial: enough to guarantee sleep, but not enough to be hung-over and drowsy. Practice during your training cycle.

I'm usually up at 5am for all my training runs, and at 4:30 for the long run days. From that aspect I am fairly use to it. However, there is always the nervousness associated with these races. Even if I have three alarms set and a wake up call set up, I still worry about oversleeping.

For Dopey, there will be some nap time built in somewhere. I can definitely see a nap occurring on Saturday afternoon to get a little rest prior to the full.

For Dopey or other 3 race weekends I got up early to fly in, then got up early even if I have a day with no race just to keep me on the pattern of rising early, then with each race early wakeup it makes the next night easier to fall asleep. Also, each night staying in the parks gets to leaving earlier as then I'm just naturally tired as yeah I can't force myself to sleep at like 6 or something unless I'm already exhausted. However, the 2 marathons I've ran at WDW (1 as part of Dopey) I've had like 0 sleep the night before from being sick & then it's just going on adrenaline to get up & out the door The only napping I do is on rides it seems, too bad Universe of Energy is closed now! But yeah, getting into a pattern even before you leave could help too, I know we'll be doing that even with just the marathon this year.

I get up at 4am almost every day for training runs anyway so it's not much change for me. I usually try to be in the office early each day and have a 40 minute commute. I also have 6 kids and try to help my wife as soon as I get home with everything so morning runs are a must do for me. Getting up that early is the only way I can work it all in. I do; however find myself wanting to go to bed at 8pm almost every night now though. I'm turning into a 70 year old retiree. lol.

It’s pretty simple for me. I wake up early because I have to wake up early. I don’t like it, I don’t get used to it, and I’d prefer if I was a little better at planning around it. But alas, present barca33runner is always willing to make lack of sleep future barca33runner’s problem.

I feel like I am in practice mode now with no end in sight! Ever since our dog was diagnosed with congestive heart failure back in April I have been up several times a night to take him out (due to meds) and rarely get more than 4/5 hours of sleep in a row. We even had to take him with us on our vacation the last two weeks! My DD27 lives on the 3rd floor so I was wide awake, carrying him up and down those stairs several times a night! So I already go to bed at 9:00, just to make sure I get some sleep when he sleeps. Add a DopeyBadger training plan with running 6 days a week in and I feel like I am constantly exhausted!

My flight leaves at 6:10am on Wednesday so add another day to the 4. I honestly can say I am used to functioning on very little sleep now, lol.

I’m probably an odd one out. I can function without a lot of sleep. I’ll probablt end up with 5 early mornings in a row since I have a 5:30AM flight to Orlando Wednesday morning and I can’t sleep on planes. Adrenaline kicks in for the nervousness and excitement for the races too. I was definitely tired after the full though.
My flight has similar timing and I didn't even consider that. I really like sleep guys, this is not going to be my favorite. I foresee a lot of sleeping in the hotels.

I never look forward to it, but not much I've found that will help other than plenty of coffee. Coming from the mountain time zone, the 3am wake-up feels like 1am, so there's really no good way to adjust. By day 3, I've found it really easy to fall asleep early :thumbsup2 I do make sure to bring along a throw-down hoodie, so I can stay as warm as possible and let my body slowly wake itself up during the monorail ride and the slow walk out to the corrals.

I think my issue will be giving up the parks to go to bed. I already get up at 5am feeling refreshed on 7 hours of sleep during the week and up at 5:30 on the weekends. We fly out on Tuesday and no work Sat-Mon so we will start messing with out sleep schedule starting Sat morning beforehand. So Sat (Dec 30th) we will get up at 5am and bed that night a little earlier, then up at 4:30 am on Sun the 30st and bed a half hour earlier, etc. Good thing we don't go our or even stay up till midnight on NYE!

For Dopey or other 3 race weekends I got up early to fly in, then got up early even if I have a day with no race just to keep me on the pattern of rising early, then with each race early wakeup it makes the next night easier to fall asleep. Also, each night staying in the parks gets to leaving earlier as then I'm just naturally tired as yeah I can't force myself to sleep at like 6 or something unless I'm already exhausted. However, the 2 marathons I've ran at WDW (1 as part of Dopey) I've had like 0 sleep the night before from being sick & then it's just going on adrenaline to get up & out the door The only napping I do is on rides it seems, too bad Universe of Energy is closed now! But yeah, getting into a pattern even before you leave could help too, I know we'll be doing that even with just the marathon this year.

I’m kind of the same way. My flight is usually really early on the day I arrive, which makes me get tired earlier. So I go to bed early, and just continue to stay on that schedule - wake up early, go to bed when I’m tired (7-8ish), and repeat.

I usually struggle to fall asleep for the 5k and 10k, partly because I'm used to staying up late and partly because I am so anxious about the races. I might be be able to nap after the 10k, but I'll still be pretty wired. Napping might not really come till after the half.

It’s pretty simple for me. I wake up early because I have to wake up early. I don’t like it, I don’t get used to it, and I’d prefer if I was a little better at planning around it. But alas, present barca33runner is always willing to make lack of sleep future barca33runner’s problem.
Same here. Present Trike does a lot of things that kind of makes future Trike's day sucky.

That part really hasn't been a problem for me (though, to be fair, I didn't technically get up that early all four days this year, since the half was canceled - but I've done plenty of 3-day race weekends.) I HAVE to get adequate sleep or my body rebels! My daily alarm goes off at 5:40am, so it's not a huge shift to 2-2:30am, and I'm totally ready to sleep by 6-7pm. I like to be in my room by 4pm, eating dinner at 5, then I relax with some TV or a book and generally drift off by 7pm, so 7ish hours of sleep. I took a nap after my DIY half, too, and another nap after the marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter