SAFD:

My goals are pretty much unchanged. This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for my wife and myself, so I really want to soak in the whole experience. I love WDW, but don't get to visit often. I'm running the Dopey and while I am looking forward to finishing the races, I really want to enjoy each moment while I'm running. I've always wanted to run these races, and as a huge Disney parks fan my whole life I can't wait to see the parks and the whole resort for that matter in a way that I couldn't otherwise. I'm also looking forward to attractions (F:EA, FoP, SDD, NRJ) and new lands that I have yet to experience, as well as restaurants that I've always wanted to try, but haven't yet.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! Marathon festivities kick off in ONE MONTH!

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, let's talk about goals ... again. A few months back (I think right after registration opened), I asked what your goals were for marathon weekend. Attached (I hope) are those responses. How do your goals look several months later? Have they changed? Copy and paste your original goals (be sure to tell us which race(s) you're doing) and then give us an update.
First goals: 1. Run 0.7 miles on Friday to begin my 30 for thirty goal 2. Turn 30 at the most magical place on earth! 3. Finish my first ever marathon 4. Finish happy, healthy and upright (my goal for anything over 10 miles lol) 5. Prepare well enough to not feel like I have been run over by multiple trucks the following day 6. Complete my 30 for 30 with the Castaway Cay Challenge while on my first Disney cruise!

The only change is that I will be running the 5K on Thursday so that Friday run is a no go. I'm not sure #5 is going to work out either. I feel like multiple trucks are headed in my direction... :eek:

Since we are now a month out I figured now would be a good time to put together the resort list where everyone is staying like last year. If you want to be included just post where you are staying and I will add it to the spreadsheet. This usually helps with Dis meets ups and such.
Jan 9th - Sports
Jan 10th-14th POFQ

Last edited:

Still no sign of waivers or guide, right? I'm getting antsy... :surfweb:

Would a bit of perspective help to reduce that feeling? In September runDisney Paris transmitted the bib vouchers and event guide to the runners 26 hours before the expo opened. After that experience I will be happy if the information for January arrives 2-3 weeks before hand.

Would a bit of perspective help to reduce that feeling? In September runDisney Paris transmitted the bib vouchers and event guide to the runners 26 hours before the expo opened. After that experience I will be happy if the information for January arrives 2-3 weeks before hand.
That makes me nervous since we’ll already be in France at that point. Hopefully our hotel can help us print but I’m not sure how much internet access we are going to have

Nope. I'm all WDW, all the time - no other rD races for me. I expect - nay, I demand! - my info a month out from race weekend! :rotfl2: But thanks for trying! :flower3:

@Dis_Yoda How is the hubs? Reading up on runners and saw he was injured...hoping he is ok!
He has a concussion and a high ankle sprain.

He doesn’t listen though to the doctor or me as despite being told to rest for almost 5 days he went for a 5.4 mile run today even though he still feels fuzzy and has a headache. I found out by his Instagram post.

So I guess he could be worse but he isn’t helping his own recovery.

Well, what can I say :sad2: except that I hope he continues to improve....and not raise your blood pressure too much during his recovery!
Concussions can be challenging, hoping the best, for both of you.

He has a concussion and a high ankle sprain.

He doesn’t listen though to the doctor or me as despite being told to rest for almost 5 days he went for a 5.4 mile run today even though he still feels fuzzy and has a headache. I found out by his Instagram post.

So I guess he could be worse but he isn’t helping his own recovery.

Restarting "controlled" aerobic activity has been found to be beneficial, but that is supposed to be controlled activities that don't "bounce" the head (and I usually don't let a player start if they still have anything they describe as pain). I typically require an athlete to do extended walking and/or biking before returning to a soccer practice. Here's a link to an article (with a link to the study) that I like to send to parents to explain why there is a "return to practice" protocol. Maybe this will help?

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/starti...ussion-improves-recovery-time-u-t-study-finds

I have so much catching up to (I feel like disboards should just autofill this sentence into all my posts through December.)

Going back to SAFD question: I think my new goal is to RELAX. Which is a weird thing to say in relation to running a half marathon. But this trip is for me and my mental health. It's for bonding with my dad, having fun with my friend who lives in Canada that I don't see often, and for being me and not a mom for a few days. So if I can relax about transportation and relax about what I'm doing at the parks and relax about the race itself and just enjoy it no matter what comes at me. Then I'm good. I will stop in long lines for characters and I won't get competitive about being my fastest. I will not worry about if I can complete the distance because now I know that I can. I will walk slowly in the parks and take my time and not worry about E-ticket attractions. I will stop an smell the air and people watch and enjoy my surroundings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter