Marathon Weekend 2020

I say in choosing what to do, do what will make you happiest with the experience. So if that means walking the races, character photos, drinks, and rides will make you happy with the experience, then do that. If having to defer to the next year (if allowed) will make you happier because the experience will be different, then do that.

As for whether you will be physically capable, I'd say it's definitely doable. A 2:16 POT is likely Corral D which means an estimated buffer of 35-45 min for the HM and 25-35 minutes for the marathon on the balloon ladies (we'll have a better guess when the bib #s come out). I'll use the low end for both:

HM - 35 min extra over 13.11 miles is 2:40 min/mile extra. So 16+2:40 = 18:40 min/mile walking pace minimum average.
M - 25 min extra over 26.22 miles is 57 sec/mile extra. So 16+57 sec = 16:57 min/mile walking pace minimum average.

Let's assume worst case scenario on recovery:

12/2 - See Dr.
12/9 - Surgery
12/16 - Recovery
12/23 - Recovery
12/30 - Recovery
1/6 - Race Week

So with this time window there's little time to actually resume training. So one of the first questions I'd ask the surgery team/Dr. is how much walking you would be allowed to do post-surgery and when you could start. Maybe 3-4 weeks off running, but what about a casual walking pace? If the casual walking pace is allowed, then I'd start that up as soon as you feel good and as soon as is allowed by the team.

As for where your fitness would be, we can use the Daniels Loss of Fitness calculation to get a rough idea. It's for VO2max so it is not perfect, but it's a reasonable estimate.

View attachment 455131

The calculation says if you were in 2:16 HM shape entering NYC and you did:

-Some training after NYC and were allowed to start walk training 1 week after surgery then fitness would be 2:22:00 HM estimate.
-Some training after NYC and not allowed to start walk after surgery then fitness would be 2:33:00 HM estimate.
-No training since NYC then fitness would be 2:42:30 HM estimate.

In all of these cases, the estimates show that is feasible for you to be able to complete the races. Walking definitely uses the muscles differently, so the more walking you can get in before the Disney races the better.

Hope that helps and everything works out ok with the surgery!
Wow - @DopeyBadger - thank you. That was way more analysis than I expected and it's appreciated. I definitely need to ask about walking - at this point, until surgery, I'm pretty limited on what I can do because of the type of fracture and where it is in relation to my eye.

Thanks for the kind thoughts - definitely still making the Disney trip. Just figuring out how to make the best of it.

Wow - @DopeyBadger - thank you. That was way more analysis than I expected and it's appreciated. I definitely need to ask about walking - at this point, until surgery, I'm pretty limited on what I can do because of the type of fracture and where it is in relation to my eye.

Thanks for the kind thoughts - definitely still making the Disney trip. Just figuring out how to make the best of it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I have one of "those questions". But first. The background.
Ran NYC at the start of November, training to pick back up again in December due to work travel and vacation.

While on said vacation (which is still ongoing), manage to go boogie boarding for the first time in my life ever and....catch a wave poorly,smash my face into the sand and break multiple bones in my face. Yay. Spent yesterday in the ER...the result is that I'll have To have surgery but I can't even get in to see a surgeon at home until next week. Surgery will, at the earliest be next week and at the latest be the following week. From what I can tell on the intrawebs, full activities can resume 3-4 weeks post surgery.

Do I: say screw it and just walk both races (I submitted a POT of 2:16-ish for the half, so I think I have margin to the balloon ladies) or see if RD is willing to defer which I totally realize they are not likely to do.

This isn't my first WDW full or goofy challenge...not that it matters.

🤦‍♀️

@DopeyBadger has given an excellent breakdown on the specifics of walking the races. If it makes a difference, there are no more official deferrals available through RunDisney and I have seen responses to these types of situations range from “so sorry, no refunds” to partial or even full refunds in the form of Disney gift cards. It seems to be a crapshoot and depend on who answers your query.

Hi All,

Firstly a big thank you to all of you who have given so much info. It has been so helpful.

First-time poster here all the way from South Africa. I'm doing the Dopey and my wife is doing her first half marathon. I was hoping to get some local knowledge about accommodation and transport to and from the races or any other useful info that a rookie might need.

We fly from Johannesburg and get to Orlando on Wednesday the 8th in the morning. We will head to the expo right away after landing. Where is a good place to stay? If we don't stay in a Disney resort how would we get to the start (and then back)? Would my wife be able to come with me to the start of the 5k, 10k and marathon? Do you have any transportation suggestions?

I know the marathon starts at 5am. What time do the other events start?

Looking forward to running in a little over a month :).

Of course! Our hostess has ordered the race bibs and designed the medals. Rumor has it PoC (proof of consumption) will be required for proper seeding.
Sounds like fun! DH was on board to muscle the kids solo, for me to partake in DATW, when our toddlers became the worst Terrible-Twos, who bolt in opposite directions surprisingly fast.

Sigh, I'm out for DATW and most likely HH. :sad1: Hope to meet some of you at the HM pre-race (info please!).

Of course! Our hostess has ordered the race bibs and designed the medals. Rumor has it PoC (proof of consumption) will be required for proper seeding.

Love it! Oh man... hopefully I didn't miss the submission deadline for POC. Maybe back in the day I could have gotten into Corral A, but my training has been so non-existent for some time now. I'll happy take my place next to the balloon ladies and hope I can hang in there.

Where is a good place to stay?

I like the Disney resorts for ease of transport. But plenty of people have stayed off property and gotten to the races just fine. Any of the Disney resorts are good for race weekend and really it's just about your style and price range. In the past, the monorail has only been running for the HM and M.

If we don't stay in a Disney resort how would we get to the start (and then back)?

Either rent your own vehicle and drive there, or use a service like Uber, Lyft, or a taxi.

Would my wife be able to come with me to the start of the 5k, 10k and marathon?

She can ride on the Disney transportation pre/post race even if she is just spectating. I believe the buses start running 2.5 hrs before the race starts. They recommend you're on the bus no later than 1.5hrs before the race starts. Some have had luck taking a later bus, and some have been stuck in traffic, etc. and missed their assigned corrals with a later bus. So it's just how much risk you're willing to accept on the timing of when you get on the bus.

Per the website, the other 3 races (5k, 10k, and HM) start at 5:30am.

Hi All,

Firstly a big thank you to all of you who have given so much info. It has been so helpful.

First-time poster here all the way from South Africa. I'm doing the Dopey and my wife is doing her first half marathon. I was hoping to get some local knowledge about accommodation and transport to and from the races or any other useful info that a rookie might need.

We fly from Johannesburg and get to Orlando on Wednesday the 8th in the morning. We will head to the expo right away after landing. Where is a good place to stay? If we don't stay in a Disney resort how would we get to the start (and then back)? Would my wife be able to come with me to the start of the 5k, 10k and marathon? Do you have any transportation suggestions?

Looking forward to running in a little over a month :).

This is actually pretty late to be looking at hotel prices for a major race weekend. Latest it can be done really and have a variety is October from my experience with this weekend. Most stuff that’s reasonably priced is booked now. Your probably best looking at offsite unless your comfortable tossing down 400 a night minimum for the stay. Because that’s where the room rates are right now going by a quick glance at the website for the dates are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter